Nine

I Wish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Sort your damn feelings about her first!" Vernon hissed at Kai who was sitting beside him, poking his food on the tray with his fork, "You messed everything up. It's so freaking clear you like her."

"No, I don't! I don't care about her, Vernon," Kai said, glaring at his food. "You're supposed to be helping me on this."

"Kai, you like her. Acknowledge the damn fact."

"Like I said, I don't, so shut it, alright?"

Vernon opened his mouth to speak back, but closed it again, clucking his tongue in frustration. He swiftly turned his head, and his gaze landed on a girl at the table behind them. He sighed as he stared at her, shaking his head hopelessly, "I've lost my chance to get with her," he thought to himself before looking back at his friend in front of him. Kai didn't seem bothered one bit and this irritated Vernon even more. Just when he had the chance to get closer to Jinri, his very own best friend had to ruin everything for him. "You have to apologize for whatever you did. If you don't want her then let her be happy with Sehun. He can treat her a million times better than you do, trust me," he yelled at his best friend who ket his head hanging low, listening to him with gritted teeth. "Do you understand?"

Kai dropped his fork on the tray, anger getting the best of him. "Kai doesn't apologize," he glared at Vernon. "You know that better than anyone. I refuse to apologize to a mere girl. Do you understand?" He stood up, his chair making a loud scraping noise, turning heads on the way.

Vernon unwaveringly glared back at him, "When people apologize, they show the maturity in themselves, Kai. I refuse to stay friends with an immature brat like you, have it your way." He crossed his arms, leaning back into his chair in a relaxed manner and a calm facial expression. He could see it in his eyes, the way they searched for answers in his own. He knew it, Kai wouldn't risk their friendship because of anything in the world; he just wouldn't do it. "Would you like that, Kai?"

"Vernon," he responded in a warning tone. "Why are you all of sudden questioning our friendship? We've been through a hell lot of together, you wouldn't be breaking this friendship just because of a girl—"

"Jisoo is just not any other girl, Kai. You know that better than I do. You freaking like her or else why would you be sulking in our classes just because she didn't come to school today. Why would you care?"

"I..." Kai found himself at loss of words. Now that he could think it through, it was obvious. He had been denying that to himself. He had been refusing to accept the truth. "...I don't know." She was stuck in his head, adding to all the reasons why he didn't want to meet Seulgi at that moment. He just didn't know how to deal with whatever he was feeling. He probably did like her then.

 

"You should have told her sooner instead of dragging it out too long, Sehun," Jinri sighed heavily, poking at her food with her chopsticks. Chanyeol, who sat next to her, nodded his head at her statement. 

"I agree, because if you did, then Jisoo might have reacted differently. Right now, she thinks that you made a fool out of her all this time."

Sehun stared ahead in a daze thinking back to everything that happened yesterday. He chased after Jisoo and called out to her but she didn't turn around no matter how many times he called her name. She wouldn't listen. So he gave up and made his way back to school.

Sighing, he propped an elbow on the table and rested his chin on his knuckles, "I know. It's all my own fault. Kai got ahead of me and got his way in the end. All I did was shutting my mouth like the coward I am."

"Hey, what's up with this attitude now? Are you giving up so soon already?" Jinri put her chopsticks down and looked up at Sehun, her eyes were wide with disbelief. Both Chanyeol and Sehun turned towards her. Jinri scoffed, "You're unbelievable. And I thought you loved her."

"I never said I don't," Said Sehun, dropping his chopsticks on the tray. "And I'm not giving up either. I'd do anything to win her back, mark my words. I'm not letting him hurt her anymore. I've had enough of this," he said, glaring at the guy that was sitting some ten feet away from them, looking a little confused as he gazed back at his best friend. "I'm not letting Kai near her," he shot another glare at the table before standing up, ready to leave. Chanyeol sighed tiredly. Drama, he thought. He wasn't pleased at all because his best friends were involved in this, not pleased at all. He wanted to punch some sense into Kai himself this time, for hurting Sehun and Jinri at the same time and making lives miserable.

Jinri patted his back, motioning him to get up as well. Her eyes fell on the guy who had been staring at her for minutes now. It was Vernon and she didn't know why his gaze on her made her feel all giddy inside. She blinked back at him with an evident blush on her cheeks and looked away, following her friends out of the cafeteria.

"Damn it," Vernon ran his hand through the strands of his hair, his eyes looked hopeless as he stared at her back as she left.

Kai looked up at him in question, his brows arched a little. "What's wrong?"

"Why, everything," He rolled his eyes at him. "Thanks to you, Kim Jongin," he noticed the way his friend looked away when that name rolled off his tongue. "You want to know what happened that night, don't you? After the soccer game?"

Kai blinked at him, nodding after a while when he realised what Vernon was actually talking about. "I got drunk and then beaten by Sehun, what else?"

"Do you want to know why you got beaten by Sehun and I just stood there, watching you two fight?"

Kai's jaws slacked, "Why?"

"Then, listen," Vernon started, going on about what really happened that night. From them encountering the other four friends who were simply walking home after eating their dinner and celebrating Sehun's first win to how Kai just had to utter all those in front of Jisoo, making her cry. Kai's eyes widened to their maximum when he heard that he had said all those to her; the reason why she broke up with him, the reason her eyes had been puffy that morning, the reason she didn't smile up at him so that he could start his day well. Then came the part where Sehun had punched him straight on the face and how he lifelessly remained their, not reacting at all. Then about the conversation of Vernon with Sehun, about Jisoo, about Jinri, about Kai. He told him everything, about him liking Jinri, about Sehun loving Jisoo way more than the two of them could imagine and in the end, Kai was left feeling empty. He had nothing to say, nothing at all. "Now, you tell me, does Jisoo deserve this at all? Can you not stop making her life miserable?"

"Why didn't you say this to me before?" Kai mumbled, "You obviously could."

"You should've known better. I was trying to stop you all the while but you just kept saying all those nonsensical stuff to the girl, making her cry. That is why I stood there and said nothing when Sehun punched you right in the face, K

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter