Blue In a Sea of Brown

Vibrant White
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Min Yoongi, an 18-year-old by year, awoke bright and early for school. Same as always, he sleepily dragged himself to his dresser and pulled out of his clothing before dressing into the uniform provided by the vocation high school. Nothing particularly stood out to him. When he finished combing his hair over, he rubbed his eyes and went over to his brother's bed and shook him to wake.

"Hyeong," he murmured. "Time for school." To which his brother replied with a groan and turning over in his sleep. "Seriously, get up. You'll be late."

"Yeah.." his brother replied, pushing away Yoongi's hands and groaning. He sat up and rubbed his face, swung his feet out of bed, and moved to get ready. Yoongi nodded and turned out of the room, heading for the kitchen.

"Say," his brother said. Yoongi paused and looked at him. "Namdongsaeng, you're--"

"Yes?" Yoongi asked. There's a formality in his voice, and Yoongi was curious about it. But his brother just shook his head and murmured a "never mind." Yoongi frowned, but shrugged it off and made his way to the kitchen. He sat himself at the table and waited patiently for breakfast to be served. His mother smiled at him and brought over dishes. She served him doenjang soup and cooked rice.

Yoongi folded his hands politely and praised, "Jal meokgesseumnida." His mother nodded in approval and ran a hand through his hair. Yoongi laughed and pulled away, calling, "You'll mess it up!"

Yoongi's brother trudged into the room then and sat next to his younger. He bowed his head lazily and muttered a thanks for the meal before digging in. Their mother patted his shoulder with a pitiful smile and turned towards the cooking area, where their father was washing his own dishes. And though their voices were hushed, Yoongi felt his parents staring at him and his sibling as they ate, probably talking about upset they were about the money problem as they always did. It got to the point where Yoogi couldn't bare it anymore and gave the leftover of his food to his brother, got up, and went over to the sink and washed his dishes until they ran clean. He then darted to the door as swift as he could, slipped on his shoes and grabbed his backpack, and dashed out the door.

Along the way, Yoongi ran into Namjoon and Hoesok, who were also in vocation high school, but only their first year, and Jimin, who was still in secondary; Yoongi was alone in his grade. And Seokjin, the only hyung he was close to, was already in his first year of junior vocation colleges. Yoongi wasn't much of a talker, more of a worker, and therefore didn't interact with people around him much. People tended to avoid him or just not address him because the recluse aura he gives off. Yoongi himself never appreciated when people did this, in fact, he thought it plain disrespectful that he wasn't even spoken to when his youngers bumped into him, but he never did anything about it. Yoongi discovered as he grew older that he couldn't socialise very well, the cause of this was unknown to him. All he knew was that after talking to someone, he needed a minute or even a while of solitude in order to regain his stance, therefore he never spoke to another unless he was respecting his elders. Over time, however, some of Yoongi's maknae approached him and invited him into their friend group. At first, Yoongi thought it a waste of time, especially since their ages varied by a lot. But eventually, he gave in to their nagging and now constantly spent time with them when he could afford to.

"Yoooooongiiiiii Hyuuuuuuung~!" Hoseok called as the three ran to catch up with their hyung. When they reached him, Yoongi braced himself as Hoseok threw his arms around him in a bear-hug.

"H-hello," Yoongi greeted formally, startled by the amount of force coming from his younger.

"Awe, what's with that?" Jimin whined. He came up on the other side of the elder and threw his arm around him. "We're best friends, quit the formality!"

"Guys, leave him alone," Namjoon cut in with a smile. Hoseok hummed for a moment before letting go and reaching around Yoongi to grab Jimin and pull him to himself.

Yoongi's eyes automatically cut to Jimin's hands, and sure enough, his nails were still laced in colour. One that coated his thumb, middle, and pinky was shaded a chocolate brown, and the pointer and ring nails were a more almond colour. He then glanced up at Hoseok, who was walking casually beside him and Jimin, who was chatting happily with Namjoon. Yoongi frowned. Since he never did much talking, he more expressed himself around people by taking in their nature and how they acted, looked, and held themselves. Nearly always, this allowed Yoongi to understand how people were, and who to avoid. He really started picking up this habit when he finally agreed to join the five other boys' friend group, which also consisted of a fellow Jimin's age by the name of Taehyung, who was absolutely wild. Hoseok may be the most cheery of the boys, but Tae seriously had energy enough for everyone.

Hoseok caught Yoongi's gaze, and Yoongi raised his eyebrow, then jutted his head to Jimin's hand in indication. Hoseok glanced down and saw the nail colours, then shook his head and looked away. Yoongi sighed and bit his lip, feeling bad for his maknae. Jimin was so oblivious.

It was quite obvious to Yoongi that Hoseok was crushing on Jimin, but Jimin had no idea. All Jimin knew was that two people liked him at the same time, and that's why his nails were two colours at once. When Yooni joined the five, Jimin only had one colour on his hand, and Yoongi ea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter