스물 셋

Patience
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I was gone for almost a month but I’m back hehe :) enjoyyy

 

 

 

 

 

Seulgi didn’t know how she managed to fall asleep. But when she woke up, she had her head leaned over on the side railings along the bed and her hand intertwined with Joohyun’s. She let out a soft groan as she sat up straighter, feeling the soreness in her neck and the cracking of her back. The only person in the room besides her was Wendy who looked like she had her liveliness completely knocked out of her. 

 

“Where’s your parents?” Seulgi mumbles, her voice still raspy. At the same time she slowly places Joohyun’s hand under the blanket and gives it a light pat. It was cold from being out of the covers all night since Seulgi was holding onto her. 

 

Even that made her feel bad. 

 

Wendy shrugs. “At the cafeteria I think.” From Wendy’s curt tone, Seulgi knew she was still angry at her. The taller girl nods silently. She understood why Wendy was acting like this and honestly, if she was in her shoes, she would’ve felt this way too. “Doctor came in a while ago to check on her. I just found out that she has two cracked ribs as well..” Wendy sighs tiredly, using her thumbs to rub her temples. The hospital was cold, both temperature and atmosphere wise. 

 

“T- two cracked ribs?” Seulgi’s eyes suddenly widen again, though she can feel her eyes swollen and eyelids sticky from all the crying. She dies a little more on the inside when Wendy hums in response. “Mm.” They sat there watching Joohyun sleep for a while. The deafening silence made Seulgi’s blood as cold as the winter air that seeped through the cracks of the window. 

 

The creek of the room door made both the girls’ heads snap over in that direction. Joohyun’s parents had returned with a plastic bag of items that Seulgi wasn’t too sure what it contained. It wasn’t until then did Seulgi realize that it was already nine in the morning. 

 

10 hours since the accident happened.

 

Seulgi reminds herself. But she snaps out of that depressing thought when Joohyun’s mother took out a few packets of sandwiches and four cups of coffee from the bag. She passes Seulgi one of each, and though she didn’t have the appetite, she still took it with a weak smile plastered on her face. “Thank you..” The girl mumbles. 

 

“You’re welcome.” 

 

-

 

Joohyun had visitors over during lunchtime. Not many, just Seulgi’s family, Yeri, and Joy. The two young girls entered the room with puffy red eyes, noses blocked and all. Considering how bad Joohyun’s condition seemed, it was only understandable that both of them would’ve been traumatized. 

 

Last week they were laughing all together in school, and now one of them was in a coma. Just how fast the night changes. 

 

“Wake up soon baechu..” Yeri’s lower lip trembled ever so slightly as she caressed Joohyun’s hand. Now all four of them had no mood whatsoever to continue studying for their final exam. The school had also been informed by the hospital about Joohyun’s situation, and they allowed Wendy to take about a week off from school. Seulgi on the other hand was still required to attend classes, but they encouraged her to go for counseling if needed. 

 

The girl was against it at first, but upon further consideration, she might just take up that offer. It was hard coping with this especially if she kept things to herself. Yeri and Joy were nice enough to suggest accompanying her to school the next week when school starts again. Seulgi gratefully accepted that. “How are you?” Joy asked, concern laced within her voice. 

 

“Terrible.” There wasn’t any point trying to sugarcoat that. Seulgi sighed. “Absolutely terrible.” Joy held onto Seulgi’s hand and smiled weakly. “Joohyun’s a fighter.” She said, trying her best to reassure Seulgi. It sort of worked. 

 

Seulgi forces her lips into a smile. “She is. I just.. I just feel like this is all my fault you know?” But Joy shook her head with her eyes brows knitted together. “Seul, this isn’t your fault-“

 

“Then who’s fault is it?” She let out a pathetic chuckle, cutting Joy off mid sentence. “I was the one who caused her to run out there like that... and now she’s lying here. We don’t even know if she’s going to wake up.” 

 

Joy narrows her eyes at her. “Hey. She’s going to wake up.. at least be more positive about it.” She retorts, but her expression softens slightly when she realizes Seulgi was in tears again. With a soft pat to her shoulder, Joy sighs. “I’m sorry..” 

 

Seulgi shook her head while pulling Joy into a hug. The warmth only encouraged more tears to stream down her cheeks. “I- I hope Hyun wakes up soon. I miss her...”

 

-

 

Monday came in a blink of an eye, much to Seulgi’s dismay of course. Yeri and Joy were being really nice, and they kept their promise to accompany Seulgi to school. At least they put in effort to wake up extra early to do this considering they were almost always late for school. It felt different though. 

 

Seulgi’s routine was way different from her usual one. Usually she’d wake up at 6.30, get ready by 7, meet Wendy and Joohyun at the bus stop, and they’d reach school by 7.20am. But now... everything was different. She still woke up at the same time, and got ready by 7am, but Yeri and Joy came to her house to fetch her. And they took another bus instead of the on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter