coffee ☕️(hana)

📖~apink short stories collection~📖

 

The scent of coffee fills the quaint café, tucked deep into the suburbs of Seoul. Away from the hustle and bustle of the city, it is a perfect gateway for those who need a break.

Not many know of this place, making it a paradise for hipsters who want to enjoy the mood or just someone who needs to be alone. But for part-time barista Oh Hayoung, this just meant a really boring job.

At first glance, customers would think that she's old. Some even mistake her as the owner, which is embarrassing at times. But she's just 21 years old, not 30 nor, 40.

She sighs, glancing out towards the giant windows that are stretched across one side of the cafe. As light from the outside fills the space into a warm lighting that is neither too bright or dark, it makes it a great place to relax with a cup of coffee while reading a book or doing work. As you look out, there is a beautiful park opposite the cafe, colourful flowers that decorated the scenery under the baby blue skies that paint above.

Often, you would see people walking past but they never come in.

In all honesty, no one knows that this cafe even exists.

Just a small handful.

From it’s rather dull exterior, people might even mistake that café as a run-down shop lot. Constructed of purely wood, hidden perfectly in a corner that is easy to miss and the café name engraved onto a very, small plate, it does make you wonder how this café even survives.

As it is always never busy, Hayoung kills her boredom by studying. Her textbooks lay in the open behind the cashier counter. Each layer of page is drenched with the smell of coffee to the point where no one wants to borrow it. It's just too overwhelming but Hayoung doesn't mind at all. In fact, she's a huge fan of coffee. Whether it be Americano or a Latte, she can tell the difference and once she starts talking about coffee, she never stops.

While humming away to the melody of her favourite music that whispers softly from the speakers hanging at each side of the cafe, her feet taps to the rhythm of IU's Palette.

With her phone connected to the bluetooth speaker, she had playlists of her favourite songs on shuffle.

"Why does this cafe have such bad luck?"

Hayoung pondered, while trying to memorize codes. She's a computer engineering major. It's rare for a girl like her to indulge in such a complicated field. But she loves it. Ever since she learned how to type on the keyboard, she was into the world of IT.

Coffee and IT, now that’s what we call a unique mix of interests. Hayoung’s often considered weird, but everyone’s weird in their different ways.

A message popped up on the phone screen.

"Hey, are you free tonight?" - Namjoo unnie.

Hayoung contemplated. If she were to open it now, there would be blue tick indicating that she has read it.

But she doesn't want to.

Namjoo is her roommate. A year older and a performing arts major.

One problem.

She has feelings for her.

Two days ago, the girl confessed.

Well, if you think about it, Namjoo takes good care of her, listens to her problems and is literally the best friend you could ever ask for.

But Hayoung wasn't sure how to respond.

How can the two of them be more than just a friend? Was she even ready to be in a deeper relationship? Heck, it was just too distracting to be thinking about it. She had other things to worry about.

Since then, she has been trying to avoid crossing paths. She knows of Namjoo's schedule and would strategically return to the dormitory when she's asleep and leave before she wakes up. That also meant, barely maintaining 4 hours of sleep because Namjoo is a party-person. She's always out and about, socializing with others till late night.

Caught up with her thoughts, a customer has arrived!

The ring of the bell echoes the quiet café.

Now, that’s rare to hear.

"W-Welcome!" stuttered Hayoung as she lifted her head up and scrambled clumsily to the counter.

In front of her is a lady dressed in full black. Her long, silky brown hair flowed perfectly down her shoulders like a beautiful waterfall, her slim figure that appeared to be crafted out straight from a drawing.

She's beautiful.

Hayoung gulped.

Surprised to see such a pretty customer standing in front of her, she shifted her hands nervously, observing the lady who scanned her eyes at the menu above.

"I'd like to an Americano please."

Her voice was gentle, soft but you could still hear it.

"Hot or iced?"

"Hot please."

"That'll be $10. Thank you, please wait for a moment while I prepare your coffee." said Hayoung as she hurriedly placed the cash into the register and headed behind to prepare the coffee. Filling the machine with coffee beans, she pressed the button that caused it to roar noisily.

Hayoung wasn't sure why she was acting nervous. It's just a customer, just like everyone else. Is it because she's super pretty? Is it because it’s the first customer in a long time?

Hayoung began to brew the coffee, stirring the cup and checking on it. But her eyes would occasionally glance upwards to look at the pretty customer. She chose a window seat and placed her stainless white Macintosh laptop on the table.

Guess she’s rich.

Is she a college student? Is she working?

It would be understandable to own a Macintosh laptop if she’s working but having that while being a student, now that’s on another level. Well, unless if you consider what course she takes.

Curiosity filled the barista's head as she couldn’t help but to ask herself so many questions. Shaking her head, Hayoung returned back to reality. Taking the hot cup of Americano, she headed out to serve her.

"Here is your Americano miss." said Hayoung, trying to hide the nervousness in her voice. She was relieved that she didn’t stutter.

"Thank you."

Hayoung quickly turned her heel around, facing her back towards her. She had wanted to hide behind the counter immediately. She felt really embarrassed.

"By the way, can I have the wifi password?”

“Oh…” The girl stared blankly before rushing to take out her notepad from her apron and wrote down the password. “Here.”

“Thank you.” She smiled at her.

And she was giggling.

It sounded cute.

Hayoung quickly rushed back to the counter and crouched behind, opening her phone and looked at the rear camera. Her face is red.

“Ah! How embarrassing!” mumbled Hayoung as her heart began to pump quicker.

For the rest of the hour, Hayoung continued reading her textbook. But obviously, she wasn’t concentrating. Her eyes would stare at the pretty customer who was busy doing her own thing. She would take small sips of her Americano, her fingers would dance on the keyboard and the best of all, she looks beautiful in every angle.

That was when the sudden thought struck her mind.

What if she will never see her again?

Thinking that she was going crazy, Hayoung carefully took out her phone and snapped a picture of her. Luckily, it was on silent. Swiftly, the girl went back to her seat and pretended that nothing happened. She swiped her phone upwards and stared at the photo she had just taken.

It looked like a beautiful still picture.

Hayoung then renamed it as “PrettyLadyAtCoffeeShop.jpg”.

At least, she wouldn’t have any regrets when she leaves.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You’re smiling.”

“W-What?” stuttered Hayoung as she looked at her classmates, Joy and Yerin. It was break time as they gathered at the canteen, eating their lunch.

“Oh please, I know a girl in love when I know it.” said Joy with a smirk as she teasingly moved her head over to look at the picture. Hayoung was quick enough to react and hid her phone back into her pocket.

“S-Shut up….”

“Now you’re blushing! Wow, that’s so rare!” laughed Yerin.

“Finally, you found someone you like!” teased Joy.

“Finally, you don’t always have to be the third-wheeler when we’re out with our girlfriends!” Yerin joined in the fun.

“W-Whatever…this is none of your business….” mumbled Hayoung as her voice got softer and softer. In the end, she stuffed food into out of embarrassment.

After one more class, Hayoung will leave for work. But deeply in her heart, she hoped that she would see her again. What are the chances of a customer returning to the same café?

Zero percent.

Two hours in.

Hayoung has been going about her daily routine, cleaning tables and moping the floor. Yeah, she’s right. Nobody comes to this café anyway. It’s located in the middle of nowhere.

That’s when she heard the bell ringing in the distance.

She turned around.

It’s her.

It’s really her.

Immediately, Hayoung scrambled back clumsily to the counter. She almost slipped halfway because she was cleaning the floor. But the barista managed herself and got ready.

“It’s okay, you don’t need to rush.” She giggled.

Hayoung’s cheeks turned rosy red. She saw everything.

“A-ah…I see…”

“I’ll have the same thing that I ordered.”

“…Huh?” Hayoung stared at her blankly like a lost puppy.

“You don’t remember what I ordered yesterday?”

“Oh! No, I do remember! A hot Americano, right?”

The pretty customer nodded in reply.

Instinctively, Hayoung tapped onto the register to place the order.

“It’s-“

“$10. I know. Here.” She cut her off and handed her the exact cash.

“…Thanks.”

Before Hayoung could say anything else, the pretty customer went to sit down at the same spot, beside the window and took out her Macintosh laptop. She’s cute yet chic. It was driving Hayoung crazy but she had to return back to reality. Heading to the back of the counter, she began to prepare the coffee.

“Here is your Americano, miss.” said Hayoung, reciting the exact lines from yesterday.

“You can call me Naeun.”

“…Huh?”

Naeun giggled and looked at her with a warm smile. “I said you can call me Naeun. You don’t have to call me miss all the time.”

“O-Oh! I see. Alright…Naeun-ssi.”

“Unnie.”

“Hm?”

“You can call me Naeun unnie.”

“I-I see. Alright then, Naeun unnie.” replied Hayoung as she nodded with a smile. She tried to hide her excitement and utter joy at the fact that she got to know her name. Trying to remain calm, the barista returned to the counter, crouched behind and took out her phone.

She then went to the gallery folder and changed the name of “PrettyLadyAtCoffeeShop.jpg” to “Naeun.jpg.” As much as Hayoung didn’t want to feel like a stalker, she couldn’t hide her happiness.

It must be her lucky day.

For the rest of the week, Naeun visited the café each evening, sitting at the same window seat and ordering her favourite hot Americano. She would sit there for exactly two hours to do her work before leaving. As for Hayoung, she was living on cloud nine.

It would be just her and Naeun in the café, nothing but music filling in the space. The barista was too shy to start a conversation and didn’t want to interrupt her work. Hayoung was already content with just watching her from afar. For some reason, her presence makes her feel at ease.

There was just something different about Naeun.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eventually, weeks turned to months.

Naeun became a regular customer at the café and there were signs of progression. Whenever Hayoung served her coffee, they would initiate a short conversation often lasting a few minutes because of how awkward both girls were. It seemed that Naeun too, was shy and not used to confronting with strangers.

But Hayoung was braver and managed to get more information about Naeun. She is in her final year of college and would graduate soon with a degree in Graphic Design. That’s why she is always carrying around her treasured Macintosh laptop because that’s where all her creations are made.

On a summer afternoon, Hayoung was busy preparing Naeun’s hot Americano behind the counter like always. But that day, was different.

For the first time, there was another customer.

“Welcome!” greeted Hayoung but the customer did not walk towards the counter. Instead, she changed the direction of her heel and went to Naeun. The barista sneakily lowered the volume of her playlist that was blasting through the speakers. She was curious.

“What are you doing here?”

“So this is where you go every time after class? This place totally fits your vibe.” The customer scanned her eyes around the café.

“You’ve been stalking me?” asked Naeun in an annoyed tone.

“Well, you were ignoring me. You didn’t answer my messages either.”

“That’s because I told you already. I can’t accept you Eunji unnie.”

“Why? Why are you being so mean? You know that everyone in the campus knows that we are a great match together. If you’re not going to be with me, that’s going to be a huge embarrassment!”

“That only concerns you, not me.”

Hayoung figured that she should do something. She wasn’t the type to openly do actions. She was the type to just watch from afar. But today, she felt braver.

Acting as usual, Hayoung took the cup of hot Americano and walked towards the duo who were arguing away. At the count of 3, the barista took a deep breath and pretended to slip, causing her to spill the Americano onto Eunji.

“Oh my god! I’m so sorry!” gasped Hayoung as she continued her act, taking tissues out of her apron pocket and helping Eunji out.

“Argh! Damn it…watch where you’re going!” snarled Eunji.

“I’m so sorry about that!” bowed Hayoung profusely.

“I’m going to come back later. Don’t even think of going anywhere Naeun. I know where you live and I won’t stop until you say yes.” threatened Eunji as she stormed out of the café.

“Are you okay?” asked Hayoung with worry.

“Yeah, thanks.”

But Hayoung could notice that Naeun was quite shaken up by the sudden appearance of Eunji.

“You’re not okay.” The barista sat down and looked at her. “Do you want me to call the police? She seems like a really obsessive stalker.”

“No, don’t. It’s just a personal matter between me and her.”

“Really?”

“Yeah…”

“But what if she comes back here again? I can’t just the same trick and it’s just a waste of coffee.”

At that point, Hayoung’s words caused Naeun to giggle. She was thankful that Hayoung was doing whatever she could to keep Eunji away from entering the café.

It was kind of cute.

“She won’t hurt me.” Naeun returned with a smile.

“I doubt it.”

Hayoung was very easy to read but the barista doesn’t even realise. Naeun knew exactly what was going on in her head.

“Do you want to help me?” asked Naeun.

“Hm?” The barista looked at her confused eyes, flustered that Naeun knew just what she wanted to do. But Hayoung was too shy to ask those words that refuse to come out of .

“My university is holding a prom next week and Eunji has been pestering me to be her date. I knew of her feelings long ago but I wasn’t sure if I could recuperate it back the same way. I was planning of going alone with my friends but since she won’t stop, the only way is- “

“Me being your prom date.”

“Bingo.”

Hayoung’s cheeks flushed in a pink tint upon realising what it meant. As much as she wanted it to happen, but the girl was a coward who didn’t like taking opportunities in front of her.

“Would you be my partner for the prom date?” asked Naeun, gazing at Hayoung who was blushing. She was really easy to read, a total open book. At that point, Naeun already had a hint that Hayoung had a crush on her and continued to remain oblivious to the fact because she wanted to keep teasing her. It was her way of having fun with the barista.  

“S-Sure, if you don’t mind. I mean, that keeps Eunji away from you right?”

“Yup. You know where my university is right?”

“Yeah, I can just ask my friend to carpool me there.”

“Great. Then, I’ll see you at the entrance at 6pm. Don’t be late.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Her heart was thumping loudly, tossing and turning in her bed, Hayoung could not sleep that night. Everything was beginning to turn into a dream. Anxiety filled her heart as she wondered how to act at a prom date, in a different university. The thought of intertwining her fingers and linking her arms with Naeun, it was driving her crazy.

She took a deep breath. It’s all going to be okay. Her unnie, Bomi will drive her to the entrance of Dongguk University. The prom lasts until 11pm. All she has to do is be Naeun’s prom date and act like one. Hayoung kept imagining various situations that could happen and ways to counter them back, forming her own strategies like how she plays her video games. All that thinking prolonged and kept her distracted from concentrating in classes.

Before Hayoung had even realised, it was prom day.

“So I’ll be back to fetch you at 11pm okay?” asked Bomi, rolling the windows down.

“Yeah, thanks unnie!”

“No problem. It’s the most I can do for my cute dongsaeng since we don’t hang out as often anymore.”

“That’s because you’re busy with your girlfriend these days.” Hayoung rolled her eyes.

“Anyways, don’t worry too much. Just be yourself. I didn’t tell Namjoo about this.”

“…Thanks unnie.” The barista was reminded how her roommate would probably be upset knowing that she literally dumped her to become someone else’s prom date. She hadn’t planned out the consequences that would happen.

“See ya.”

Bomi drove off and left Hayoung awkwardly pacing back and forth at the entrance. She was too shy to even step a foot inside. Dongguk University was much bigger than her university and was quite intimidating at first sight. Boys and girls, were dressed prettily in suits and sparkling dresses, downing in beautiful colours that matched well.

All Hayoung had was a simple white dress and heels borrowed from Bomi. There was no way she could match these rich kids.

“What are you doing standing there?”

Hayoung turned around to see Naeun giggling at her. Rather than being embarrassed, the girl was stunned at how beautiful Naeun was in her long, black dress. Hayoung was very sure that Naeun would be the prettiest girl among everyone else in that prom. There was no doubt about that.

“Well, you said to wait at the entrance.”

“You can come in you know.”

“You’re not here yet so I waited for you.” Hayoung pouted. Naeun smiled, walked towards her direction and wrapped her arm around hers.

“I’m here already so let’s go in.”  

The older girl leaded her into the grand hall, decorated beautifully as everyone was dancing and chatting away. There were straight, gay and lesbian couples all round, a perfect mixture of equality. There was also a cocktail bar, an array of colourful drinks that anyone could try and mix-match. Everyone was in their own world, having their kind of fun.

As this was Hayoung’s first time at prom, she wasn’t sure what to do. She didn’t go to her high school prom because she was just too much of a nerd back then who preferred to stay at home and play computer games. But now, she’s here doing everything that her high school self would never do.

“Do you want to dance?” Naeun asked.

“Sure.” said Hayoung, already enchanted by Naeun’s dark orbs that stared deeply into hers. “But I at dancing.”

“Let me teach you.” Naeun held up her hands and positioned them upright. Then, she moved her feet one step forward, one step back. Hayoung watched and copied them directly. She was dancing like a stiff robot.

“That’s not how you do it!” laughed Naeun, finding it cute.

“Sorry, I’ve never really danced with anyone before…” Hayoung looked at her shyly. “You’re my first.”

The couple could feel people staring at them, either in awe or confused at Naeun’s partner that came totally unexpected. The older girl could read through Hayoung that she was shy and embarrassed that they had suddenly become the centre of attention. Honestly, Naeun too didn’t like attention until Eunji just had to make things happen like that.

The couple took a break and headed to the make-shift bar, taking a few sips of cocktail and various kinds of liquor available. Watching couples taking turns at the dance floor, the two enjoyed each other’s presence and chatted about many things. Rather than of the small talks they always had at the café, they discussed about their interests, likes, dislikes and casual happenings in their life.

Hayoung wasn’t sure at which point it happened, but the girl was quite definite that she was in love with Naeun. She had been crushing on her months ago but it was just wrong to start dating a customer. Not to mention, Naeun was definitely way out of her league. Maybe the girl was just happy to maintain a one-sided love.

“Let’s go somewhere.” said Naeun as she boldly held Hayoung’s hand. Her cheeks were red and evident that she was getting a little tipsy. The barista discovered that Naeun probably had a low tolerance for alcohol but decided to follow her lead anyway.

The couple headed to the back of the hall, climbing a flight of stairs up to the rooftop. They were now away from the music booming from downstairs, in a place with only the two of them and the glittering night sky.

“Are we allowed to be here?” asked Hayoung with worry, thinking that she was breaking some kind of rule.

“It’s fine.” said Naeun as she took a deep breath to catch some air. She then turned around and smiled at Hayoung. “Isn’t the sky pretty?”

“It is…just like you.”

“You’re pretty too, Hayoung.”

Naeun could read people’s personality easily and knew that Hayoung was someone of low self-esteem. She was never confident of how she looked and felt small around others. The barista reminded of herself when she as younger.

How rare was it to find someone who had so much resemblance and similarities with you?

The two stared quietly at the night sky, watching the stars that were hanging from above. The barista would often glance at Naeun and wonder what was going on in her head. Was she thinking about her?

Probably not.

Hayoung didn’t know much about Naeun yet and were still in the progress of getting to know each other. Things wouldn’t happen so fast. But the question was, would she become more than just a customer? Will Hayoung ever be brave enough to confess?

Absorbed in her own world of thought, Hayoung’s eyes unconsciously moved to Naeun’s lips. The girl gulped and quietly shut her eyes, shaking her head profusely. It was driving her wild. The fact that they were all alone together, many strange things could happen especially since they were a little drunk.

“Hayoung, you’re really cute at times.” giggled Naeun.

“A-Am I?”

“Even when you’re working at the café, you do these little small actions that are adorable.”

“Ah…” Hayoung began to awkwardly scratch her head, unsure how to respond. She wasn’t never good at talking with people, let alone in front of her crush. Her mind was beginning to get fuzzy.

Naeun was now at close proximity, she was staring deeply into her eyes. Her shy teeth showing in front of her. At that point, Hayoung was very sure that Naeun drank a little too much. But it was rare to see her cute front teeth. It doesn’t show itself often.

“Thank you Hayoung.”

“W-What for?”

“For being my prom date.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That night, Hayoung couldn’t sleep again. She was tossing and turning about, her heart beating significantly faster than usual as her body was burning up. No, she’s not having a fever. She hated how the same scene repeated in her mind several times. Hayoung told herself that it was probably because Naeun was drunk.

Yes, that had to be the reason. There was no way it had to happen all of a sudden.

Naeun couldn’t have possibly kissed her out of nowhere.

It was short, but Hayoung remembered every single detail. How she leaned closer towards her, Naeun’s gaze that kept her frozen in sight as she landed her lips onto hers. It was gentle, soft and sweet. Hayoung hated how her heart pounded every time she remembered Naeun cradling her neck in her warm hands and shifting into a more comfortable position.

She could still taste it, and it drove her crazy.

Touching her lips, Hayoung violently shook her head and squealed under her blanket. It wasn’t excitement but fear and confusion. The young college girl was sure that she was lesbian a long time ago but she was always scared of taking things for granted. She was afraid that Naeun kissed her simply because she was drunk. What if she was the type of drunk who doesn’t remember anything at all? Would everything that happen that night turn into a dream, rather than a reality?

Hayoung had dark eye bags the next day and certainly, she had a tough time focusing in class. While she had to entertain Bomi’s bombarding questions about her prom night and explain the whole situation to her friends, Yerin and Joy, it sure was exhaustive. But Hayoung became anxious knowing that later, she would be arriving at the café to start her part time work.

Naeun would definitely arrive to get her favourite hot Americano and sit by the window just like any other day. Hayoung decided not to say anything and pretended that the kiss never happened. She wanted to see what would Naeun’s reaction be, before concluding to anything else. So, the game of patience began.

1 hour has passed.

That’s strange. Usually, Naeun would come around 3pm. Maybe her class ended late.

2 hours has passed.

Still no one. Nothing but just Hayoung’s music playlist blasting in the speakers. A sigh escaped the barista’s mouth as she assumed the worst possible scenario. Naeun did remember and didn’t come today because she felt embarrassed. It irritated Hayoung even more how she couldn’t even get her number. In this generation, that would have been the easiest thing. But Hayoung is just the average coward who is afraid of taking chances.

Four hours in, and Hayoung’s shift is over.

Naeun never came.

Thoughts began to flood Hayoung’s mind about various possibilities. Maybe Naeun felt sick after all the alcohol and couldn’t come. She might come tomorrow.

Closing the café and making sure everything was in place, Hayoung pouted and locked the door. Walking along the pathway that she always took to return to the dormitory, her phone buzzed. It was a message from her roommate, Namjoo. Hayoung was hesitant as fear scrambled through her head, thinking that Namjoo might’ve found out about her going to another university’s prom. 

But it’s not like Hayoung could play this hide-and-seek game anymore. She was tired of feeling anxious about crossing paths with Namjoo and maybe it was time to face what she has been running from.

“Where are you? Come back to the dorm quick. The dorm is on fire.”

Immediately, Hayoung’s changed her sloppy steps and ran.

But it turns out, it was all a lie. She fell for Namjoo’s trap. By the time she got into her room, she was cornered by her roommate who then locked the door. Hayoung hadn’t seen Namjoo in awhile. She had been running away from her for 2 months since her confession.

“Why did you lie to me?!” asked Hayoung out of annoyance.

“I didn’t have a choice. Stop running away Hayoung.”

The barista took a deep breath and tried to take a chance on the little spark of courage she had inside her.

“Fine. But I said this already, I can’t date you. I’m sorry.”

“Why? Just give me a chance to make it right!”

“I can’t. If I date you, it can never be the same.”

“Do you even know how much I care about you, Hayoung? I know that you’re always out of this room when I come back, on purpose. But I didn’t run after you, I thought that maybe you needed time to sort out your feelings Hayoung. I love you Hayoung. I really do so, please, just stop running away.”

“I…” Hayoung took a deep breath. “I love someone else.” The girl confessed.

Silence filled the room as Namjoo stared at her. Her eyes had lost all hope but at the same time, it was filled with confusion. Since when did her best friend ever fell in love with someone else? She knew Hayoung so well that it was impossible for the girl to fall in love because she was a coward. Namjoo knew that Hayoung was always afraid of taking chances.

“Hayoung-“

“I can’t date you because I love someone else. I’m sorry.” responded Hayoung coldly. But in actuality, she was trembling from the inside. She couldn’t believe that she just said that, in front of her roommate and her best friend whom she had been avoiding all along.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hayoung had wanted to cuss herself for exposing her own feelings like that. It didn’t take long before her close group of friends got to know about her crush. That included her favourite senior unnie, Bomi and her classmates Yerin and Joy. Boy, the teasing barely had begun. But on the good side, Namjoo and Hayoung had settled their differences and were now back to normal as roommates. Although it was still awkward at times, but they were taking each step slowly to mend the holes they made.

Namjoo respected Hayoung’s choice and decided to support her. Indeed, a best friend anyone could ask for. After all, it didn’t take long before Namjoo starting crushing on other people in the campus. She changes her heart easily which is one of her biggest weaknesses. While everything else seemed to be going smoothly in Hayoung’s life despite the daily teasing, there was only nothing but worries filling her heart.

For the past week since the prom, Naeun never visited the café. These weeks turned into months and it felt as if everything was a dream. At one point, Hayoung even thought that Naeun might’ve been a beautiful ghost that came to haunt her. But obviously, Namjoo pointed the girl out for being “foolish” and encouraged her to visit Dongguk University. It wouldn’t hurt to wonder where she has been.

It was a great plan. But the problem was, Hayoung is a coward. She doesn’t listen to Namjoo’s advice and instead, continued her work at the café just like any other days. Wishing for something hopeful, the barista refused to visit Dongguk University.

Flipping through her textbook while bopping to the beat of SISTAR19’s Not Gone Around Any Longer, Hayoung decided to divert her attention to studying. She had finals coming up very soon and certainly with the events that happened, she didn’t have much time to catch up. It was only, the rarest sound was heard ringing in the café. The bell.

“Welcome!” Hayoung raised her head in excitement to see who it was. Deeply in her heart, she hoped it was Naeun. But it was not.

“Hey there. Remember me?”

“You’re Eunji…erm…what coffee would you like today?”

“I’m not here to order anything.”

“Sorry we don’t entertain customers who are not buying our coffee.”

“Wow, rude much. I purposely came here all the way to tell you something really important.”

“Yeah, like what?”

“It’s about Naeun.”

Immediately, Hayoung lowered the volume of her playlist and pulled all her attention on Eunji, eyes wide open as she stared right at her.

“Wow, Naeun is right. You’re really cute.” giggled Eunji as her expression suddenly turned serious. It was a quick 360-degree change. “Do you want to know why I was so insistent on asking Naeun out as my prom date?”

“Not really- “

“It’s because that would be the last time I would ever see her.”

“What do you mean?”

“The day after prom, Naeun went overseas. She received an exclusive offer to work in France even before her graduation. Artists loved the pieces that her professor submitted and she was asked to join an grand art exhibition.”

“…Oh…” It was the only word that came out of in response. She was still trying to take everything into picture.

“But Hayoung, don’t worry too much about it. I’m sure she will return to Seoul one day.”

“You sure sound confident.”

“That’s because Naeun likes you.”

Hayoung’s heart skipped a beat.

“W-What?”

“Well, that’s what I remember.” Smirked Eunji. “She told me that she found a new prom date and says that you’re a much better choice over me. She didn’t exactly say that she likes you but I assumed it that way.” The girl shrugged and leaned over to pat Hayoung’s shoulder. “You just have to be patient.” Eunji winked.

“W-Wait, I thought you hate me?”

“And why would I?” Eunji broke into a laugh. “You’re cute and Naeun likes you. Isn’t the the more reason why I wouldn’t hate you? Anyways, I’ll be seeing you around more often Hayoung, since I’ve got no one to pester anymore. You’re my next target.”

Before Hayoung could even respond, Eunji left the café. The barista was left dumbfounded. There were so many feelings churning in her heart, some that were of sadness, regrets and disappointment. But most were of hope, and confidence.

It was only then she realised that she had forgotten to ask Eunji the most important question. She forgot to ask for Naeun’s phone number. Agonizing and shouting herself for being stupid, Hayoung hit herself against the wall.

“Ah, stupid Oh Hayoung! Why are you like this?!” mumbled Hayoung to herself as she sat on the chair and buried her head over her textbook. A deep, heavy sigh escaped as she organized her thoughts.

How long was she willing to wait? What were the possibilities that Naeun would even return? Was Hayoung even significant in Naeun’s life?

These questions were difficult and annoying.

In the end, the barista decided to put the one thing that was at most priority. Study. If it would take years of waiting, Hayoung would have to ensure that she graduates first and get a stable job. After all, the thought of possibly meeting Naeun again and going on dates, someone has got to pay.

As much as it was all a simple fantasy to Hayoung, it’s good to still dream and hope for good things to happen. Right?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4 years later.

The café is still alive and running. Surprisingly, it is much livelier than ever.

Since Eunji’s recommendation and spread of word around town, people had been coming to try out the unknown café and had since, kept coming back because of it’s hipster-like and Instagram-worthy content. Hayoung had no idea that Eunji’s circle of friends was this big. The café was now a must-place for college students around the area to just chill and discuss their assignments. Occasionally, you would see older, working people arriving to catch their daily dose of coffee and settle down.

Hayoung works full-time as a senior manager on weekdays, running from place to place to serve customers. On the weekends, she works as a freelancer and helps people to fix their computers. The expansion of the café comes with the introduction of new recruits. With an addition of five members to the team, the workload is lesser and it is like a small family.

But sometimes, Hayoung does miss the days where she would be all by herself in the café. Bored and alone as she would study behind the counter, listening to her own playlist that filled the empty space. Occasionally, she would think about her. She would fantasize about that beautiful lady who always sits by the window, with her Macintosh laptop and her favourite cup of hot Americano.

But those days, were long gone.

It would be a lie if Hayoung admitted that she had forgotten about her. She dreams about her from time to time, and wonders what she is doing on the other side of the world. She is still the same old coward who refuses to ask for Naeun’s contact details from Eunji. She also treasures the one and only photo of Naeun in her phone, titled “Naeun.jpg”. It’s more of a reminder of her first love and a source of motivation that keeps her going.

“Arin, please serve these cakes to table 3. Oh, and tell them their latte will take some time.” said Hayoung as she placed the tray on the top of the counter.

“Got it unnie.”

“Subin, work on the coffee. I’ll man the cashier.”

“Okay noona.”

It was rush hour and people were lining up to get their coffee. Hayoung was indeed experienced with the cash register. With skills from playing video games, her fingers moved swiftly, pressing each key and handling cash well.

“Thank you! Next please.” said Hayoung as her eyes were busy counting the cash in her hand.

“Hi.”

“Hi.” She didn’t look up and was mumbling numbers. She assumed it would take some time for the customer to read the menu. “What would you like to have?”

“The usual.”

Hayoung’s fingers paused in motion as the girl lifted her head. Her eyes widened upon seeing who was in front of her.

Was this a dream?

“Did you forget about what I usually order, Oh Hayoung?” asked Naeun with a smile. She looked exactly the same, still dressed in her favourite black clothes but she was much prettier.

“It’s been 4 years…” Hayoung gaped, blinking her eyes several times.

“It is.”

“Excuse me, can you hurry up?” a customer from behind complained that immediately commanded Hayoung to move quickly. She typed in the order perfectly, a got Americano. She handed out her hand to receive an exact $10 note.

Just like always.

“Thank you for ordering. Please wait while we serve you.” said Hayoung, returning to her normal self as she proceeded to take the next order.

As Naeun’s favourite window seat was taken up, the lady went to take an empty corner seat. But instead of taking out her Macintosh laptop, she was simply taking sips of her coffee and staring at the cashier who was very busy. All she had, was a Gucci handbag and her Americano in her hand.

Nothing else.

“Hey Sejun, please take over the counter for awhile. I’m going on a little break.” Instructed Hayoung.

“Oh, okay noona…”

Hayoung removed her apron, hung her bag over her arm and proceeded to walk towards where Naeun was. But instead, the girl wanted to be bolder and grabbed her hand.

“Let’s go somewhere quiet.”

“Okay.”

This time, Naeun followed Hayoung’s lead as the two exited the café and headed to the park, opposite. Seated on the bench together, Hayoung looked at Naeun who calmly sipped her Americano as if nothing happened.

Maybe Naeun really had no memory of what happened 4 years ago.

“You…came back.” said Hayoung.

“Yeah, I did. Sorry for disappearing off like that.”

“No, it’s okay. Eunji told me everything so it’s fine.”

“Everything…?” Naeun eyed her suspiciously.

“Uh-“

“What do you mean by everything?”

Hayoung was flustered at Naeun’s words and wasn’t sure if she meant about Eunji saying that Naeun has feelings for her. How sure was she that Eunji could possibly be lying anyways?

“I mean-uh- “

Naeun giggled. “You’re still the same.” She placed her Americano down on the bench. “What did Eunji say about me?”

“That you were going to France to work.”

“And…?”

“That’s all.”

“Are you sure?”

“Y-Yeah.”

Naeun didn’t leave her eyes from Hayoung and proceeded to scan her expressions. The barista had improved. It was a little harder to read her now.

“D-Don’t look at me like that. It’s…embarrassing…” Hayoung’s face flushed in a bright pink tint. She hadn’t felt like this in a long time and she wasn’t sure how to manage these emotions.

“But I want to look at you. I haven’t seen you in a long time. Don’t you miss me?”

“I…do…”

“Stop beating around the bush Hayoung. I’m sure Eunji told you something else. Don’t be scared.”

Hayoung gulped. She still was the same coward as ever. Maybe it was time to take a leap forward, instead of holding back onto regrets. She took a deep breath.

“She…told me that you liked me. You have feelings for me.”

At that point, a smile formed onto Naeun’s lips.

“And what about you?”

“H-Huh?” Hayoung was taken aback. How could she recuperate all these feelings that were hidden in her heart for 4 years? Everything was pouring out and honestly, Hayoung couldn’t really control it anymore. “W-wait. Before that, I want to ask you something.”

“What is it?”

“On the night of the prom, when we were at the rooftop…do you remember what you did to me?”

“I do.”

I do.

Those words sent Hayoung flying with happiness. She was overwhelmed with joy. Hayoung couldn’t hide her smile.

“Why? What’s wrong?” giggled Naeun, finding it cute how Hayoung was smiling all of a sudden.

“I’m so stupid…”

“You’re not. Did you think that I wouldn’t remember it at all?”

“Yeah! Because I thought you were really drunk! Did you know that on the first day when you didn’t come, I figured you had a bad hangover and fell sick or something? I waited for days. Those days turned to months and now years, I had hanged onto the feeling that maybe you would come back and explain the real truth to me. But I was so stupid for not asking Eunji for your number and I was so dumb to not even try and search up your name on social media. Like I mean, what was I even thinking?!- “ Hayoung began to rap out her rant before her words were silenced.

Silenced by a gentle peck on the lips.

That immediately had the pro-rapper quiet.

“I didn’t know you talk so much. You’re so noisy.” chuckled Naeun.

“Well, at least that made me feel better. That’s 4 years’ worth of frustration venting inside my heart.”

“Sorry.”

Hayoung crossed her arms and pouted. “Repay me.”

“With what?”

“By being my girlfriend.”

Naeun smiled and intertwined her fingers warmly in her hands. “I like that idea. After all, I’ve been waiting 4 years too, you know?”

Hayoung’s heart thumped louder than ever. She was literally flying to cloud nine as her head was feeling fuzzy with joy.

“Can I kiss you?”

“What do you think, coward?” laughed Naeun.

Upon that, Hayoung leaned forward and pressed her lips onto hers. Tasting a subtle hint of coffee from Naeun’s lips, it was bittersweet. But Hayoung had missed this. Her weird dreams about Naeun on occasional nights, hallucinations of her at the café, everything became a reality.

Hayoung had never thought that she would love coffee even more, than ever.

“Oh and, you’re a terrible kisser.” said Naeun.

“S-Shut up…”

“Alright, whiny baby.”

 

 

 

 

 


A/N: it's been awhile since I've updated~ this hana story is inspired from this tweet  and also written specially for one of my friends who is a huge hana shipper haha ;) I hope you enjoyed reading Coffee and maybe you would feel like getting a cup of coffee lol jk~ p.s hana are visual legends