jazz bar 🎹 (eunrong)

📖~apink short stories collection~📖

Jazz Bar.

 

The fateful moment when a singer and a customer’ eyes meet at a jazz bar.

 

a/n: i strongly recommend to listen to dreamcatcher's jazz bar when reading this piece, as it was 100% inspired from it ^^

 

 

Eunji clocks in around ten at night and waits for her co-worker, Siyeon to finish her shift. The part-time singer smiles at her sitting on stage, belting out her notes perfectly as the band behind plays their instruments. There are two more songs left on her setlist.

 

Here at this jazz bar tucked right in the center of the bustling Hongdae district, it’s a popular place. Today is a Saturday and as usual, it’s crowded with people. Some chatter away with the presence of alcohol. Others head to the other side and mingle with strangers.

 

“You’re early.” Bora greets Eunji with a warm smile as the two share a high-five.

 

“Come on, you’ve known me for two years. I’m always early.” Eunji scoffs in reply and sits by the counter.

 

The part-time singer watches Bora cleaning the counters as her shift as bartender will also end around the same time as Siyeon. Though Bora can’t leave until Moonbyul arrives, that woman is always late.

 

“Gee, I still can’t believe you tricked the boss into having both you and Siyeon finish your shifts at the same time. Really sneaky.” Eunji mumbles as she pulls out her sheets and does a final check of her playlist for tonight.

 

“You’re just jealous of not having a girlfriend.” Bora winks with a giggle. “Here. Warm up your vocals with this. It’s on the house.” The woman gently pushes a cocktail towards Eunji. “I’m going to go and call Moonbyul. I swear if she comes ten minutes late like last time I’m gonna kill her.”

 

“Oh…go ahead. Reminder that she’s older than you.”

 

“Do you want me to take back that cocktail?”

 

“Nope. Forget I said anything.” Eunji laughs as she snatches her cocktail just before Bora’s hand manages to reach it.

 

As Eunji gets ready to go up on stage and set her mike, she goes through a couple of tests and thanks the band for their hard work. She also sees from the far corner, Bora and Siyeon leaving work with their arms clung to one another. The sight makes her smile but it also leaves a bittersweet feeling inside her chest.


Deep inside, Eunji too wants to fall in love. But work and passion are more important.

 

“Testing. One, two, three. Evening everyone, I’m Jung Eunji. Please enjoy the rest of the night. Here is the first song.”

 

In between the descending red light, I can feel your gaze.

 

Oh, she’s here again. The same woman. Eunji has been seeing her more often ever since last week. Already set in her memory: second table on the far right with a simple, neat glass of beer. Always alone and wears a dark orange flannel jacket. The singer isn’t sure why but this woman catches her attention first among the crowd.

 

Fallen deep in my humming. You send me a sweet gaze.

 

Eunji admits this woman has a pretty smile. She gets to see it whenever she belts out a high note or whistles through some adlibs. Maybe she gained herself a fan, which is probably a good thing. But work is work. Throughout the night, she focuses on her setlist and keeps her focus. When there are three songs left on the list, the singer notices that the woman has gone. She assumes that she goes home before midnight, meaning she isn’t the party animal type.

 

Now, Eunji isn’t sure why she keeps thinking about a customer when a customer, is obviously just a customer. But the singer keeps seeing her every weekend. At the same spot, with the same clothes and the same, beautiful smile. It’s something that agonizes her a lot.

 

“Not looking very bright, are you?” Bora nudges her elbow. This time, Eunji came an hour early instead of the usual timing. “Come on Meung, what’s on your mind? It’s way too obvious right now.”

 

The singer sighs as she plops her head onto the counter.

 

“Don’t laugh.”

 

Bora nods and maintains a serious face.

 

“I think I’m in love with a customer.”

 

In an instant, Bora’s laughter can be heard echoing into the bar. Luckily, the music is still pretty loud so it doesn’t get much attention from the rest.

 

“You .” Eunji pouts.

 

“Sorry, sorry! That’s kind of cute of you!” Bora squeals in excitement. “Oh my god. Get your shot! What are you waiting for?!”

 

“She leaves before my shift ends!”

 

“Oh…” Bora hums in thought. “I have an idea.”

 

“No.”

 

“Yes.” Bora cuts in. “Hold on, I’m going to pitch in Moonbyul for help. We can’t stand watching you living a miserable single life anymore. I have Siyeon. Byulie’s got Solar. And you? Pfft.”

 

“You guys are just going to ruin it.” Eunji groans, already thinking of the worst possible scenario that could make everything worse.

 

Why do you gently enter through the door gap and look at me every day?

 

Today as well, unsurprisingly, she’s here again. Eunji sings as usual but her gaze always finds itself on her. She isn’t sure why but ever since she confessed her feelings to Bora, her heart is beating nervously. Her fingers are trembling slightly and she feels somewhat shy to be so on stage. Even though she’s done this all the time. Deep inside, the singer wants to make a good impression. To tell that woman that she’ll keep coming to this bar and listen to her sing. Suddenly, she’s competing within herself.

 

When our eyes meet, I want to stop my singing.

 

It’s become harder to sing on stage, especially when their eyes come into contact. For a moment, Eunji is scared that she might lose her momentum or forget the lyrics and make an embarrassment out of herself. But it’s a frustrating feeling because this is only time where Eunji can look at her, embrace every second of that woman in this very bar, listening to her sing.

 

And want to approach you and whisper to you. Oh no.

 

Now, whenever a love song comes onto her setlist, Eunji sings it with more emotion. She runs her imagination through her tones, as if she’s serenading to that woman and confessing her love through the power of music. Of course, no one is going to understand the kind of dilemma she’s suffering from but she hopes it at least, reaches her.

 

I feel I love you. Oh, I love you. Oh, I like you. Do I know you?

I think I love you. Oh, I love you. Oh, I like you. Maybe you’ll feel it, too.

 

Eunji is pretty sure now. The more she sees her, the more she looks into her eyes, the more she watches that smile lift up, the singer finds herself falling deeper. The feelings of a fluttering love that is somewhat foreign but exciting.

 

Whenever she goes home, all she thinks about is that woman. It drives her crazy that she’s suddenly coming up with random scenarios in her head about the “what if they dated”. She is so curious about this woman. What’s her job? How old is she? Why does she always come to listen to her sing? She wants to ask her a thousand of questions. But alas, the timing is never right.

 

It’s in the middle of the week when Eunji receives a text from Bora. During the weekends, she works at the bar while on the weekdays, the singer is actually a music teacher at an elementary school. She reads the first line and almost spits her drink.

 

Bora: [sends picture] this is your girlie right? *wink emoji*

 

Eunji stares at the photo for a long minute. She blinks once and wonders if she’s dreaming. But she’s not. It’s her alright. She has no idea how Bora managed to find that but then again, Bora is pretty much a social media stalker. That’s how she scored Siyeon’s heart by sliding into the DMs. The modern way of starting a romance with someone.

 

Eunji: What the hell. You got this from her Instagram didn’t you?

 

Bora: Duh~~~~~ Her name is Park Chorong by the way.

 

The singer puts down her phone. At last. A piece of information about this woman. Her name. Chorong. It’s a name that rolls easily out of her tongue. Sure, Eunji is grateful that Bora went through all that but she doesn’t want to be labeled a stalker. If anything, Eunji doesn’t mind maintaining this singer-customer relationship for the rest of her life. She doesn’t have much hope on actually approaching Chorong when the odds are so low.

 

Lost in her thoughts, her phone buzzes again.

 

Bora: Honestly, I’m going to be that to torture you so I’m not going to reveal her Instagram account. Siyeon and I have other plans to get you two together.

 

Eunji: Please don’t do anything stupid…

 

Bora: Trust in your cupids okay? <3

 

The singer sighs as she plops her phone in defeat. There’s nothing she can do. Her friends have the upper hand here. All she can do is fall into their play and see how everything goes.

 

Even the tiniest movement, I’ve come to respond it.

 

Eunji has taken note of the smallest signs whenever she does something on stage. If she belts out a high note, Chorong would wow in amazement. If she sways her body to the rhythm, Chorong would cutely clap along. If she cracks a joke in the middle of the break, Chorong would laugh in respond, even if it was a lame uncle gag. For some reason, Eunji finds herself smiling automatically to whatever Chorong does.

 

Baby you know. I know baby you know it.

 

At this point, Eunji is pretty confident that Chorong knows it too. These signs that she’s been giving out on stage. The way how she’s selected way more love songs on her setlists and is almost, always gazing into her when she sings. She is sure of it that the message was received.

 

Maybe we are quite similar, seems like we are having the same thoughts.

 

It happens on another Saturday when Eunji is at her last two songs. Usually, Chorong would’ve already left the bar. But to the singer’s surprise, she’s stayed behind. Perhaps it’s true that her message was sent and today, might really be the day. This gives her a bit of relief but also adds a weight of anxiety on her shoulders. Maybe Chorong doesn’t feel comfortable and is here to reject her feelings. Yeah. What a great way to start with some pessimism on the side.

 

And wanting for something, Oh.

 

Eunji announces to the crowd that it’s the last song for tonight. She flips through the setlist and clears . As her band rests for a minute, she picks up a water bottle and takes a few gulps. Her eyes search for Chorong and she’s changed seats. This time, she’s nearer to the stage.

 

If you are now going to approach me, please don’t hesitate and come to me

 

The singer hopes that this is a clear sign of something. A progression. A development. Now that Chorong is closer, Eunji gets a better look of her face and gosh, she’s beautiful. Pretty. Gorgeous. No other words in the dictionary can describe her better at this angle. Eunji sighs and inhales, trying to bring back her focus to singing and not swooning over the fact that Chorong is here.

 

When she wraps up, Eunji notices that Chorong remains in her seat. She’s waiting for her, she’s sure of it. The singer thanks the band, collects her belongings and gets down from the stage. For some reason, she’s walking awfully slower than normal. She’s nervous. From the corner of her eye, she notices Chorong getting out of her seat and walking towards her direction. It’s time. She’s finally going to meet her face-to-face.

 

Let’s not do awkward greetings like an old couple

 

“Excuse me…” Chorong starts first and not wanting to be awkward, Eunji tries to be like herself. She smiles at her and shyly bows. “Yes?”

 

“Um…I don’t know if you’ve noticed but I really like your singing.”

 

“Ah, thank you.” Eunji laughs awkwardly, hand at the back of her head as she scans her surroundings. The bar is still pretty crowded and too noisy for a conversation. “Do you have to leave soon?” The singer asks.

 

“It is kind of late…” Chorong looks at her watch. “Oh…” Eunji’s tone drops.

 

“I actually wanted to talk to you.” Both of them say the exact sentence at the same time.

 

The two women stare at each other in shock and later, baffle embarrassingly with a shy laughter. Their cheeks flare up and it’s suddenly getting a little hot.

 

“Shall we…go somewhere quiet?” Eunji pauses midway but manages to finish her sentence. Her heart is pounding so hard, it might actually jump out of her chest. She’s sure that Chorong feels the same way judging from the way she’s suddenly avoiding eye contact yet nodding to the idea. “F-Follow me.” The singer leads Chorong to the break room. Midway through, she catches Moonbyul from the bar counter giving her a thumbs up.

 

Ah, she should’ve known. This was part of Bora and Siyeon’s “love-cupid” plan.

 

“So um, in case you didn’t know, I’m Jung Eunji. Nice to meet you.” The singer robotically introduces herself once the door closes. Chorong laughs and does the same. And a silence continues. Yeah, this is not what Eunji had in plan. She’s got to find a way to save their conversation. She notices Chorong fiddling her fingers, probably out of nervousness. At least, she’s feeling the same too.

 

“I realized that you come to watch me sing every weekend without fail. Thank you for that.” Eunji starts bravely.

 

“Yes. I fell in love with your singing.”

 

The bait has been thrown. This is Eunji’s only chance, make it or break it. The singer nods and smiles widely.

 

“Well, I fell in love with you.”

 

She knows just how cringy and cheesy this pick-up line sounds, but Eunji has zero experience in dating and she’s desperate at this rate. Chorong widens her eyes and Eunji quickly apologizes.

 

“S-Sorry! It just, slipped out of my tongue.” Eunji’s grown full red as she’s laughing nervously. “I just, I don’t know, you always catch my attention in the crowd without fail. This might sound creepy but you always wear the same shirt and order the same thing.” The singer starts to ramble out of panic.

 

“I see.” Chorong exhales in relief as she pats her own chest. Eunji looks at her with confusion. Their eyes meet again and honestly, Eunji froze. “I’m glad that you think the same way, Eunji. I was nervous and shy about it. In fact, I wasn’t sure how to approach you at first.”

 

Eunji watches as Chorong takes out a notebook from her bag, dribbles something on the paper and tears it apart. She receives the piece and suddenly, Chorong pecks her cheek.

 

“I actually have to go. But feel free to call me or text me Eunji. I know our timings don’t match so I thought it would be better to give you my number. Bye.”

 

“O-Oh…I-I’ll text you tonight…Chorong.” Eunji waves at the woman leaving the breakroom in a hurry that the whole meeting felt so short. Yet, the singer touches on her cheek that is still so warm and fuzzy with Chorong’s scent.

 

I feel I love you Oh I love you Oh I like you Do I know you? Oh ah

I think I love you Oh I love you Oh I like you Maybe you’ll feel it too

 

She lets out a baffled laughter and clutches tightly onto the number. Eunji did it. She did it.

 

“How did it go? That woman left pretty quickly. Did you mess- oh.” Moonbyul bursts into the break room concerned, only to notice the very, fresh lipstick mark on Eunji’s cheek.

 

“Do I look okay?” Eunji asks.

 

Moonbyul leans by the door and laughs. “Other than being completely whipped for that woman, yeah, you’re still fine. Hold on, I’m going to take a picture and send it to Bora so that she can clown you.”

 

“W-What? No, stop!”

 

“Too late~” Moonbyul laughs as she clicks her phone and immediately locks it inside her pocket. “Now hurry up. The last train leaves in like ten minutes. I don’t want to drive you home cause you live so far away.”

 

“O-Oh snap!” Eunji jumps from her seat and hurries off. She runs out into the cold street but she’s smiling. All of her emotions exploding in that instant, happiness, joy, success. Eunji did it.

 

This is just the beginning of the singer’s blossoming romance with her loyal customer.

 

 

 

--

 


a/n: just a short, sweet eunrong one shot as i've been really in love with dreamcatcher's jazz bar that i pictured a whole scenario with this. it was so tempting to write and i'm really glad that I can share this piece with you guys :)