Chapter 8

The Heir Met A Thief

Woohyun roused with a sharp pain in the back of his skull. He was first aware of the coolness of the air and its perfumed scent. His vision was still blurry and his eyes wandered weakly around the room. A vase of lily was placed on the nightstand and beautiful framed pieces of art were hung on the wall.

 

Am I still alive?

 

“You’re finally awake! Wait here, I’ll get the nurse.” Sungjong hurried out of the sickbay. A nurse came in shortly. When she turned to Woohyun, a warm smile formed on her lips.

 

“Sweetheart, how are you feeling?” She lifted his blood-stained shirt to check on his injuries. “F-Fine.” He shivered involuntarily. “Mind telling me what happened?” She asked while removing the bandage around his abdomen. It was covered in dark red liquid. Woohyun kept quiet as the nurse cleaned his wound diligently and gave him a brand-new uniform to change. He caught a glimpse of his bare tummy and was horrified. There were nasty scars and his skin was torn.

 

“It’s okay if you don’t want to talk about it. Do you want me to report to Ms Wong or your parents?” He shook his head immediately.

 

“Alright, I’ll respect your decision.” She could feel that Woohyun was embarrassed for being bullied. “Remember to keep the wound clean and dry for at least 5 days and make sure to get plenty of rest. I’ll ask your friend to come in now, he’s very worried.” She instructed him and left the room. Sungjong returned with red and puffy eyes, he sat on the chair next to the bed.

 

“What happened? How did I end up here?” Woohyun’s voice was hoarse. He only recalled that the pain in his body slowly drained away until everything became black, he had fainted.

 

“I was on my way back to class and saw you lying on the ground. Do you know how scared I was? You lost so much blood till your uniform was soaked…” It choked Sungjong up as he evoked the terrifying incident. “I thought you were dead...” He broke into tears again and Woohyun felt bad.

 

“Sungjong, I’m sorry for scaring you. Don’t worry, I’m alright now,” he assured the other boy before moving on to clear up the misunderstanding with an encouraging smile. “I won’t judge or discriminate you after finding out about it. No matter what, you’ll always be my friend and I don’t ever want to hurt you.” Woohyun hugged him, disregarding the overwhelming pain in his stomach.

 

“Everyone abandoned me after finding out about my uality in middle school, I’m so glad that I met you. Thank you for transferring here, Woohyun ah,” Sungjong sobbed and Woohyun felt a load lifted off his chest, although there was something he couldn’t comprehend.

 

“I knew you were no different from them!” What did he mean at that time? I’ve a feeling that it has something to do with Sungjong.

 

•••

 

“What am I gonna do with this? He’ll definitely be mad if he found out that I was involved in a fight.” Woohyun whined to the mirror, trying to rub the bruise away as if it would vanish. “Pabo, don’t press your bruise, it’ll burst more capillaries!” Sungjong slapped his hand and put a cold pack over the bruise.

 

“That’s why I told you to stay away from Young Jae. Are you sure you don’t need my help?” Sungjong asked him.

 

“No, it’s my own problem and I’ll settle it myself, I don’t want you to get involved.” Woohyun replied.

 

 

“What happened to your face?” Dongwoo asked in great concern when he saw a plaster near the corner of Woohyun’s lips.

 

“I fell down.” He lied as he sat on the couch, avoiding actions that would give away his lie such as fidgeting, changing his voice and diverting eye contact.

 

“How clumsy can you be?” Sunggyu insulted and earned a glare from Woohyun. Aish this thief is indeed stupid.

 

“Really? But it seems like someone punched you deliberately though.” Woohyun gulped hard and forced himself to remain still. “Did you accidentally walk into the female’s toilet?” Dongwoo joked. Why does he always make a joke whenever I lie?

 

“You better not be fighting in school,” Sunggyu warned sternly, pressuring him.

 

Dongwoo sensed that the atmosphere was palpable.

 

“Boss, I’ve been craving for ajumma’s ramen these past few days. Let’s have dinner there tonight! Woohyun, come with us. You won’t regret it, she makes the best ramen in the world!” The secretary grinned happily.

 

“Sure, it’s been ages since we last saw her.” Sunggyu agreed with a nod.

 

•••

 

“Woah it’s really good!” Woohyun squealed with delight. The broth was thick and very delicious. The homemade noodles were of fresh quality and chewy. Just by its aroma, Woohyun’s mouth watered and Dongwoo laughed at him. “I told you so!”

 

Dongwoo offered to treat them, so Woohyun and Sunggyu waited outside for him while he was making payment. Woohyun was engrossed in playing with a Samsung Galaxy S4. Sunggyu knew that the thief didn’t own a phone and that phone doesn’t belong to him or Dongwoo either. Suddenly, he remembered seeing ajumma using a similar model before. Fires of fury were smouldering in Sunggyu’s small narrowed eyes.

 

“YAHH did you steal this phone?”

 

Sunggyu asked through gritted teeth and his anger boiled at the sight of a doe-eyed Woohyun. The latter had found the device on the basin when he was using the store’s toilet. Someone must’ve left it behind and forgotten about it. How dare he steal from an old lady! He snatched over the phone and grabbed his arm, dragging him back into the store, despite the thief struggling anxiously. Is he going to turn me in?

 

“I won’t do it again, let me go!” Sunggyu turned a deaf ear and brought him to the counter.

 

“Sunggyu, what are you doing here? I thought we agreed that the meal was on me?” Dongwoo asked curiously while keeping his wallet into his back pocket. “Take the change, Dongwoo ah.” An elderly extended her fragile arm with some notes and coins in her hand. Dongwoo shook his hands. “Ajumma, I really love your ramen! Treat it as an appreciation from your number one fan.” The old lady puckered her lips, “You and Sunggyu always give me tips.” The lines in her face were deep and saggy, she seemed to be in her ninety or more.

 

“Ajumma, does this phone belongs to you?” Sunggyu asked, showing the device to her and her eyes lit up instantly.

 

“Yes, thank you so much for returning it, Sunggyu ah! I must have misplaced it somewhere.” The light in her eyes dimmed slightly as she went on. “My husband will scold me for losing the gift that he gave me during our wedding anniversary… These past few days, I’ve been so forgetful and I can’t help it with my poor memory.” She paused and lowered her head before continuing. “I guess it’s a sign for me to join him.” She smiled sadly with tears glittering in her eyes as she glanced at the framed portrait of her husband hung on the wall. A realisation hit Woohyun that he had stolen from a widower.

 

“Don’t say that ajumma! I believe ajeossi wouldn’t want you to think negatively.” Sunggyu comforted her.

 

This was the first time Woohyun noted that Sunggyu has a kind-hearted side.

 

“Life isn’t easy without him. We lived together for almost 60 years and I miss him every night…” She grieved and droplets began to spill from her eyes as she clung the mobile phone tightly to her chest. Dongwoo quickly embraced her. Woohyun was depressed to see her in this state as he was able to empathise with her. Suddenly, Sunggyu lifted his angry gaze on him and pulled him out of the store harshly.

 

“Look at what you’ve done! Did you ever consider the victim’s feelings? They worked so hard and you just steal their assets without feeling remorseful. For once, put yourself in their shoes, you’re so freaking self-centred!” Sunggyu reprimanded him furiously and stomped off. Woohyun felt guilt bubbling up in his chest.

 

“Where’s Sunggyu?” Dongwoo asked once he stepped out of the store, his eyes were puffy. Woohyun shrugged his shoulders sadly.

 

“Do you need a lift back?” He shook his head and walked back to the office by himself.

 

Something must’ve happened earlier on. Did they argue? Dongwoo wondered while staring at Woohyun’s shoulders slumping forward.

 

 

Howon and Sungyeol were back at their hiding spot, their eyes fixed on Kim Corporate while munching on steamed buns. The sun has gone to rest and the moon took his place, surrounding them with darkness.

 

“Hoya, that blond dude over there looks like Hyun! His back view is so handsome!” Sungyeol tapped Howon’s arm excitedly, pointing at a guy entering the main entrance. Howon smacked Sungyeol’s head.

 

“Yeol, stop checking guys out! Don’t forget our main purpose here!” He scolded him and continued to keep a sharp lookout for Woohyun.

 

If only they knew…

 

 

Sunggyu sped his black Jaguar home. He was in a foul mood. It’s been long since someone, other than Myungsoo and that woman, made me this mad. He gripped tightly onto the steering wheel till his knuckles turned white.

 

“Welcome home, young master!” Their housemaid, Krystal, greeted him warmly. She was vacuuming the living room. Sunggyu nodded his head in acknowledgement and walked towards the quarter-turn glass stairs hidden at the left hallway. The right hallway has other stairs which led to Myungsoo’s room. On the way, he saw Myungsoo devouring Curry Udon at the dining room. There were two tall and silver candelabras placed on the centre of the long mahogany table to make the atmosphere romantic. It was a grand space as his father would invite guests to his house sometimes.

 

“Young master, do you want me to scoop a bowl for you?”

 

Myungsoo looked up from his Nintendo Switch, realising his brother’s presence.

 

Krystal, don’t bother. He won’t want to eat with the future Chairman.” Myungsoo answered mockingly. Sunggyu rolled his eyes and went up to the second story. There were 3 rooms; the guest room, the study room and the bedroom. His room was like a perfect magazine cover.

 

He stripped down his clothes and stepped slowly into the tub, turning the water on high and letting it beat over his head in steamy rivulets. He closed his eyes as the heat soaked into his skin.

 

Was I being too harsh on him? I just can’t help it when someone bullies ajumma. She’s like a family to me. He massaged the bridge of his nose. After he finished his shower, he wore over a bathrobe and wiped the foggy mirror with his palm. He looked at his reflection in the mirror. Luckily, his face resembled his father instead of her.

 

At the age of 12, his mother suddenly disappeared into thin air and his father explained to him that she had eloped with her lover. He brooded over shedding bitter tears every night and waited for a call that never came from her. From then onwards, he lost all his respect for that cruel woman who could cut ties with her children so easily. I don’t ever want to see her face. The reason behind his hatred towards Myungsoo was also because of her

 

 

“Did you ever consider the victim’s feelings?” Woohyun thought back of Sungjong and the old lady’s miserable expressions. it was all his fault.

 

Infinity Free Souls steal because some simply enjoy the rush of stealing and others steal to fill an emotional void in their lives, even though we knew it was wrong.

 

Out of complete quietness, a cry aroused.

 

•••

 

Silence lingered heavily in the office and Woohyun pouted. He’d rather be bickering with Sunggyu than receiving a cold treatment from him. He peeked at his boss over his shoulder. They haven’t exchanged a word since morning. He noticed Sunggyu’s hardworking attitude. “They worked so hard and you just steal their assets without feeling remorseful.” He heaved a heavy sigh but it didn’t ease the guilt in his heart away. I haven’t apologised to him yet… What should I do? He turned his attention back to the documents that he needed to scan by lunchtime.

 

“Ah” Sunggyu yelped in pain and dropped the object in his hand, causing the intern to jolt up from his seat.

 

“Wae?” Woohyun asked alarmingly, facing his body towards him. Sunggyu ignored him and continued to type in his MacBook as he needed to prepare for a meeting next week. Woohyun’s eyes caught his hand, it was bleeding profusely. He must’ve hurt himself with the penknife that was lying on the table.

 

“You’ll get an infection if you don’t treat it properly,” Woohyun tugged Sunggyu to the bathroom, despite the older man’s stubborn protests. He rinsed his hand under the cold water, there was a deep cut on his palm.

 

“I’ll go and get the first aid box.” Woohyun made Sunggyu sit on the couch and went off. He rushed back with the box.

 

“Yahh how did you know where the first aid box was? Did you rummage through my drawers when I wasn’t around? You better not steal anything here.” Woohyun pressed his lips. His wound hurt badly last night and he had no choice but to break open all the drawers and cabinets to find medicine to stop the bleeding.

 

“It’s not like there’s any secretive thing inside and I didn’t steal anything.” He argued and took out the antibiotic cream.

 

“That doesn’t mean you can- AHHH” Sunggyu shrieked and retracted his hand when the cream came into contact with the wound. The sting was searing and he could feel his temper rising.

 

“Just bear with it for a while,” Woohyun cooed, smoothing out the cream. Sunggyu was all ready to shove him away and yell at him because of the pain.

 

“I’m sorry,” he froze instead, “for intending to steal your money and for being a self-centred brat.” Woohyun apologised in repentance while wrapping an antiseptic dressing around his hand. This boy is just kinda dim-witted, he probably means no harm. Sunggyu watched Woohyun’s attentiveness in treating his wound and was softened. Everything that he wanted to say went right out of the window and he stared at him unabashedly. I wonder why he became a thief…

 

Suddenly, a loud knock echoed into the room and snapped Sunggyu out of his trance.

 

“Boss, I’m here to remind you that- What happened to your hand?” Dongwoo asked anxiously. Sunggyu turned red with fury.

 

“Shut up and get out, the both of you!” He shouted at them. Dongwoo grabbed Woohyun’s arm and pulled him out of the office.

 

“He’s always very cranky, especially when he’s in pain so it’s better to stay away from him. Woohyun ah, you may have an early lunch break.” Woohyun nodded his head obediently and headed to the staff canteen at the first level. It was huge and bustled with many people. There was a lot of variety to choose from and Woohyun felt like getting a sandwich instead, so he walked into Subway.

 

“Welcome! Dine in or take away?” A lady wearing a green apron and a baseball cap with her hair tied into a ponytail greeted Woohyun.

 

“Having here.”

 

“Okay, can I take your order?” She asked enthusiastically and Woohyun pointed to the menu.

 

“A tuna. What size of sandwich would you like? We have 6-inch and footlong.”

 

“Eh? I-I guess a 6-inch…” He stuttered nervously, it was his first time here and he was rather timid.

 

“What kind of bread would you prefer? We have Italian, Hearty Italian, Honey Oat, Parmesan Oregano, Wrap and Flatbread.”

 

“Ehh?” His heart began to thump. 

 

“What vegetables would you like? We have lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, onions, olives, pickles and jalapeños.”

 

“Hmm…”

 

“What kind of dressing would you go for? We have chilli, ketchup, mayonnaise, bbq, ranch, chipotle southwest, mustard, honey mustard, sweet onion and red wine vinegar.”

 

“Hmmmm…”

 

“Do you wish for any extra toppings? How about a drink?”

 

He felt dizzy by the number of questions when all he wanted was merely a bread. There were so many people lining up behind and he had no idea what to do.

 

•••

 

“Yah can you sit somewhere else?” The man told Woohyun fretfully as he took a sip of his iced lemon tea. That boy sat opposite him uninvitedly. They ended up having the same sandwiches, 6-inch Hearty Italian Subway Melt with lettuce, tomatoes and mayonnaise.

 

“Thank you for helping me earlier on. I didn’t expect to be bombarded with a mountain of questions like this. For a moment, I thought I was being interrogated by a police officer.” Woohyun grumbled as he unwrapped his sandwich. He was oblivious to his surrounding where people were gossiping about them. 

 

“Wow, this is very tasty! I’ve never had anything like this before!” He has taken a big bite and was amazed.

 

“By the way, are you working under the Security Team?” He asked, eyeing the tag around his neck. The man looked down. I forgot to take it off when I visited the Security Director’s office earlier on.

 

“Nice to meet you, I’m Woohyun, working under the Marketing Department as an Intern. What’s your name?” He extended his arm for a handshake but the man just looked at him with a bored face. So, he's the intern hyung hired. He seems pretty dumb though.

 

“Just call me L.” Such arrogance. He must be the Security Director… He knew that Myungsoo was looking down on him.

 

“L-ssi, since you helped me earlier, I’ll give you a tip.” Woohyun wiped his mouth with the napkin before continuing, “Even though you’ve hired 24 hours guards, I must say the security system is managed poorly.” Myungsoo’s eyes widened at his bluntness. “I know you have changed the safe box’s locks but they are still easy for thieves to break open. I suggest you do more research before buying one because it looks like you haven’t been doing your homework.” He was dumbfounded by Woohyun’s knowledge and sarcasm. The thief smiled smugly before leaving with his tray, he had already finished his lunch.

 

Interesting… I guess I shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. Myungsoo smirked to himself.

 

 

There was an unexpected sharp thud of a knock on the door.

 

“Come in.” Taehyun raised his head and ordered. Kibum stepped in cautiously. One wrong move could threaten his secretary position.

 

“Chairman, a police officer would like to speak to you.” He informed him while placing a cup of coffee on the table, it was in the right amount of sugar and temperature that Taehyun preferred.

 

“Let him in.” Kibum nodded his head and invited the man in after he exited the office.

 

“Taehyun-ssi, I’m here to inform you that even though the company’s CCTV footages were erased, we’ve managed to dig out something suspicious from a small CCTV near the office building.” This caught Taehyun’s attention. “There was a black van parked outside at the time when the money was stolen. We suspect that the vehicle belonged to the thieves.” The policeman claimed and an enraged Taehyun slammed the table.

 

“I want you to track it down. I won’t let them off so easily!” He almost trembled at the Chairman’s dominance.

 

Unknowingly to them, someone was eavesdropping on their conversation.

--------------------------------

Note: Hope you enjoyed reading! Please leave me a comment, I read all of them and I really do appreciate it as it is the fuel that keeps me going ♡