Chapter 12

The Heir Met A Thief

“Abeoji, why so sudden?”

 

Sunggyu almost choked on his saliva as he was too perplexed by the announcement. He exchanged short glances with Woohyun.

 

“It’s all because of you, Kim Sunggyu. How dare you violate one of our company rules and let your intern sleep in the office!” Rage was heard as he raised his voice. Sunggyu immediately turned away from Taehyun’s stern glare. Even Woohyun shrank back in fear.

 

“I’m sorry, Abeoji,” Sunggyu resembled a deer caught in headlights. Myungsoo sneered and Woohyun turned to face him with a snort. Why is a security director behaving so arrogantly in front of his bosses? Has he lost his mind?

 

Myungsoo raised his eyebrows when he chanced upon Woohyun staring at him, then he realised something. Oh right, he still doesn’t know about my identity. I wonder how he’ll react once he found out…

 

“I’ll let you off this time, there'd better not be the next time if you still want the Chairman position,” Taehyun warned and Sunggyu nodded his head obediently with his eyes cast downwards. The atmosphere was stiff.

 

“Woohyun, you’ll be living with them from today onwards. They are my two sons, Sunggyu and Myungsoo. The kitten in Sunggyu’s arm, her name’s Chubs.” Taehyun introduced and gestured towards the two guys beside him.

 

“BWOH?”

 

Woohyun looked at ‘L’ wide-eyed.

 

“We have met in the canteen before, but I haven’t properly introduced myself. Nice to meet you Woohyun ah, I’m Kim Myungsoo.” L smiled cutely to him with his dimples, acting as if nothing happened.

 

“But you told me your name was L and you’re the security director...?” Woohyun blurted out with a frown, he was puzzled. Myungsoo chuckled because his expression was similar to a lost kid right now. Sunggyu already saw that coming, he sighed and shook his head inwardly. That’s why I said he’s gullible and naïve.

 

Chubs seemed tense. Must be because of that kid’s unfamiliar scent. He her fur gently to calm her down.

 

“Myungsoo, explain yourself.” Taehyun ordered.

 

“Ahh, there’s some misunderstanding. I told Woohyun to call me L because I didn’t want him to feel intimidated by my identity. And he must’ve thought that I’m the security director when he saw me wearing their department pass.” Myungsoo explained.

 

Chubs fidgeted in Sunggyu’s arms. It was an indication that she didn’t want to be carried, so he placed her on the ground.

 

So, L-ssi’s the president of the sales department that Yeol was talking about the other day. Woohyun thought back to Sungyeol’s words, “He’s the most horrible person I’ve ever met on earth!” He eyed Myungsoo and gulped. I can’t believe I sent Yeol right into his den… I’m such an idiot, I hope Yeol is fine. He facepalmed with his head down, he felt guilty.

 

Woohyun noticed that Chubs was near to his leg, he panicked. Does she still remember me? He held his breath when she began to sniff him cautiously. He was nervous, he knew he’d be upset if Chubs really forgot about him. After all, they had fun together in the forest. He adored her so much that he would never abandon her willingly. Jungyeop was the one who forced him to send her away as the leader was worried that it could be a spy.

 

“Now that the misunderstanding is cleared, I hope you guys will get along from now on. I don’t want to have any argument going on in this house.” Taehyun instructed. I’ll not tolerate if any of them bully Woohyun. Now that he’s living with me, I’ll protect him.

 

Instead of listening to his father, Sunggyu was observing Woohyun and Chubs’s interaction. He laughed when he caught Woohyun’s expression.

 

“What’s with your face? Are you perhaps afraid of a kitten?” He , and this gained Myungsoo and Taehyun’s attention.

 

They are getting along, I’m relieved. 

 

Chubs rubbed her paws against Woohyun’s leg. She must’ve sensed his discomfort. She used to do this whenever he had nightmares or when he’d argued with Howon, it worked in helping him to feel better. He grinned and bent down to tickle her belly to thank her. He knew the spot where she loved to be touched and she’d express her satisfaction by a high-pitch meow. Ahh, she’s so cute! I want to hug her so badly.

 

“Surprisingly, a puppy and kitten get along well,” Sunggyu commented. He didn’t expect Chubs to open up to a stranger so easily. Normally, she’d be tense and reserved whenever there was a visitor who she didn’t meet before, and she’d cling onto Sunggyu. Even with Sunggyu, it took a while for him to get close to her. I wonder what makes him so special? Is it because he looks like a puppy?

 

“Yah I’m not a puppy!” Woohyun groaned and stood up. Sunggyu ignored him and patted her head lightly. She tried to grab his hand instead, wanting to play with him.

 

“Chubs, why are you being so playful now?” He guffawed as he pulled back his hand.

 

Woohyun’s lips quirked into a smile at the scene in front of him. It was very heart-warming to see Sunggyu beaming and fooling around like this, he seemed like a different person with Chubs. Moreover, he looked younger in his casual outfit. I don’t want to admit but he really looks handsome now, only at this moment when he’s not behaving like his usual self. A month ago, when he placed Chubs in the box along the Gangnam District, he couldn’t bear to leave her alone, so he hid somewhere while looking out for her until someone had picked her up. Therefore, technically, he had met Sunggyu before. Why didn’t I recognise him?

 

He flicked a glance at his right. Then, he caught it.

 

There was a flash of an emotion in Myungsoo’s eyes for a second. Dejection. He was staring at Sunggyu and Chubs.

 

Woohyun scrunched his eyebrows. He recalled Sunggyu’s raging expression when he found Woohyun talking to Myungsoo in the canteen and Myungsoo’s triumph expression when Sunggyu was lectured by Taehyun. They don’t seem close though. If hyung’s still alive, I’d be very close to him. Something must’ve happened. Is it because of the rivalry for the Chairman position that has affected their relationship or is it because of something else?

 

He eyed both Sunggyu and Myungsoo, determined to find out.

 

“Anyway, there are 2 guest rooms in this house. There’s one beside Sunggyu’s room and one beside Myungsoo’s. Woohyun, which one would you prefer?” Taehyun asked an obvious question, he already knew the answer.

 

If I want to start my investigation, I think it’ll be easier to dig things out from L rather than Sunggyu. That guy won’t open up to me so easily. He glanced between the two brothers.

 

Okay, I’ve decided.

 

“I’ll sleep beside Myungsoo’s room.”

 

Everyone’s eyes widened as they didn’t expect Woohyun’s answer. If I get closer to L, not only can I discover about the reason of them being incompatible, I can also protect Yeol from him. He giggled quietly at his secret plan. He didn’t realise that someone was staring at him intensely, his eyes literally blazed with fire.

 

Why would he want to sleep next to him? Did he have something up his sleeve?

 

“Oh, okay then, Myungsoo shall lead you to-” Taehyun’s words were cut off curtly.

 

“No, he’s sleeping next to my room.”

 

Sunggyu carried Chubs with one arm and grabbed Woohyun’s elbow, dragging him to the left hallway.

 

Why is he so angry? Taehyun thought while watching Sunggyu. Is my son perhaps sulky?

 

“Yah let me go, you’re hurting me!” Woohyun whined and rubbed the sore spot after Sunggyu released him when they had reached the second level, they were alone now.

 

“Shin Woohyun, I don’t know what you are thinking but you better not be playing any tricks with me.” Sunggyu scowled at him. His voice was low and dangerous. This isn’t good, he’s mad.

 

“I thought you might want some privacy, I didn’t know you’d get so agitated just because I didn’t choose to sleep next to you.” Woohyun lied but Sunggyu gave that ‘I-am-not-buying-that’ face, he was still vexed with him. He started heading straight down the hallway. My plan failed… Woohyun followed behind with a pout. He almost bumped into Sunggyu’s back when the latter halted abruptly.

 

“If anyone finds out about your identity, it means that you’ve failed the mission and I’ll hand you over to the police. Once our contract terminates, you’ll have to leave my house no matter what.” He snarled and Woohyun just nodded his head in boredom.

 

Sunggyu opened the door to the guest room and Woohyun gasped as he stepped in. Although it was just a guest room, it appeared more like a hotel suite instead. If even a guest room already looks this grand, I wonder how his room looks like… There was this urge to peek inside. I’ll do it when he’s not around.

 

“One last thing. If you dare to steal anything from this house, you’ll be sent straight to the jail.” Sunggyu hissed and closed the door.

 

Woohyun grimaced. He’s so not attractive at all now. He rolled his eyes in annoyance.

 

 

Sunggyu slammed against the back windshield of the vehicle, it was no use. He was captured by a man who used to work at his father’s company. Hatred was filled within the man towards Taehyun for firing him because he was reported by a female employee for ual harassment, when as far as he was concerned, she was the one who had seduced him first. And now no other companies wanted to employ him. He had fallen into bankruptcy and, his wife and children had left him, so he took his anger out by assaulting one of his sons, Kim Sunggyu.

 

Sunggyu was locked alone in an abandoned warehouse, the place was dim. He was covered with bruises and he sobbed, his hurts were stiffening. He was scared.

 

He became tensed instantly when he heard the metal chain being dragged along the ground. His body trembled, he took in a gulp of air to push back his fear.

 

He’s here again.

 

Soon, the door was opened and that wicked man had an evil wide smile on his face. He approached Sunggyu slowly. Sunggyu backed away carefully, as one’d back away from a snake. No matter how much he begged or cried for help, that man wouldn’t stop hitting him until he was satisfied. It was as if he loved to listen to Sunggyu’s whimpers, he was indeed a sadistic person. Sunggyu had already given up in calling for help. 

 

He tried to sit up but he ended up falling back at the wrench of the torn muscles over his stomach.

 

“Don’t blame me, blame your father for being cruel, it’s all his fault.”

 

The wounds on Sunggyu’s body were ripped further. His school uniform was bloodier.

 

•••

 

Sunggyu woke up with beads of sweat on his forehead, he brushed his damp fringe away. It was the same nightmare every night. He had to control his breath as the fear begun to press up against his stomach, his body started trembling. He was all alone in the darkness again.

 

He couldn’t get over the incident that happened ten years ago when he was 15 years old. Thankfully, he was rescued by his father and the police after 3 days of being kidnapped. Although the man was locked in the jail eventually, receiving his punishment, and the wounds on Sunggyu’s body had healed, the memories, however, didn’t vanish, they were vivid in his mind as he was still traumatised in some ways. He couldn’t tell anyone about it, except his counsellor. He thought that he didn’t need anyone so, at times like this, he didn’t have a name to call out for help. 

 

Chubs mewled concernedly, she was awakened by his shallow pants.

 

“It’s okay, don’t worry, I’m fine,” He her crown with a weak assuring smile. His face was paper white.

 

He walked to the kitchen, poured a cup of warm water and swallowed two pills that were prescribed by his counsellor. It was to calm his emotion to prevent the fear from overwhelming him.

 

“Are you not feeling well?”

 

He was startled, and accidentally let go of the cup in his hand. It fell to the ground and shattered into pieces.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you. Are you alright?”

 

Sunggyu looked behind his shoulder, it was Woohyun. He heaved a sigh of relief under his breath. He didn’t want Taehyun, Myungsoo or Krystal to know about his condition. He hid the bottle of pills hastily.

 

“Don’t touch it, I’ll call Krystal to clean it up.”

 

After he has left the kitchen, Woohyun opened the fridge, he was thirsty. He grabbed a packet of milo and finished within a few seconds before dumping it into the bin. Suddenly, he heard a mewling sound. Chubs has entered the kitchen, she was looking for Sunggyu and didn’t take note of the shards of glass on the floor. 

 

“Chubs, be careful!”

 

He wrapped his arm around her as her paw nearly stepped onto the shattered glass. “Are you okay?” He asked Chubs while checking her body for any sign of injury. She’s not hurt anywhere. He was glad.

 

“What’s going on?” His head shot up. Sunggyu was back with Krystal beside him. “She almost hurt herself.” Woohyun explained while handing Chubs over to him. Sunggyu examined her thoroughly.

 

“Your arm.” Krystal gestured with horror. Woohyun gazed down, there was blood gushing out from a fresh cut. “Ah it’s okay, I’ll just rinse it under the water later.” Woohyun was about to head back to his room but there was a strong tug on his wrist.

 

“Sit down. I’ll go and get the first aid box. You must’ve scraped your skin against the glass while protecting her.”

 

Sunggyu placed Chubs on the couch and went off, ignoring Woohyun’s protest. Woohyun had no choice but to wait obediently. Chubs his wound, she was remorseful that he had hurt himself because of her. He chuckled and caressed her face. “Nah it’s not painful at all.” He assured her by showing her that he could move his arm around freely without a sign of distress.

 

Sunggyu returned with a white box. Chubs was seated on Woohyun’s lap while observing Sunggyu treating Woohyun’s wound. Silence lingered around the air. Woohyun’s eyelids were getting heavy while waiting, if it wasn’t because he felt thirsty in the middle of the night, he would’ve been sleeping like a log till morning.

 

As Sunggyu was bandaging his arm, he was shocked when something heavy rested on his shoulder. Woohyun had dozed off.

 

“Kid, wake up,” He nudged him, but the latter didn’t budge as he was so exhausted. He snorted. What a pig. He was about to get up. Wrong move. His sudden movement caused Woohyun’s head to wobble and he ended up lying on his chest instead.

 

Too close.

 

He held his breath, a familiar vanilla scent filled his nostrils. Ah, this is the smell of my shampoo. It was a fragrance that he liked. Woohyun must’ve bathed earlier on. Such a nice smell. Was it always this nice? His eyes trailed involuntarily from Woohyun’s forehead down to his sharp-pointed nose and to his chubby cheeks. He has a pretty small face. Lastly, it landed upon his plump lips. His lower lip is really thick and it’s kind of weird, but seeing it up close, it actually looks very soft. I wonder-

 

He gasped, he has lost his marbles.

 

“Yah wake up!” He snapped and this time, it worked. Woohyun rubbed his eyes with a groan while getting up, he was oblivious. When Sunggyu stood up, he heard Woohyun thanking him in his groggy voice.

 

He went to put the first aid box back into the shelf.

 

I must be crazy! His hand rose to his mouth with a horrified expression, he quickly composed himself. Must be the effect of the pills.

 

 

“According to the evidence that we’ve collected, the black van was parked here.”

 

The officer told his partner with a photo in hand. Taehyun had instructed him to drop the case, but the officer felt something fishy. He was so close to capturing the criminals, and yet the victim stopped him. He decided to continue the investigation by himself and his partner agreed to help him.

 

There was no sign of any vehicle, it was very dark. They ended their work at night so by the time they reached the forest, it was already midnight. They had been wandering around with a flashlight.

 

“There’s a hut over there.” His partner spotted a wooden hut at a far distance and pointed it to him. He narrowed his eyes in scrutiny.

 

“They must be living in there.” The officer whispered, and they headed stealthily towards it. The lights in the hut were switched off. They are sleeping.

 

He took out his gun. It’ll not be easy for two people to fight against a group of thieves, but he was confident that with his weapon, he’d be able to catch all of them. When they finally reached the place, he sent his partner a signal. This was what they would usually do during their duty.

 

He raised his index finger up and began counting silently. They didn’t want to alert them.

 

When three fingers were raised, they immediately barged in with their guns pointing readily. They were prepared to strike anyone they saw.

 

Except, there wasn’t anyone in the hut…

 

They exchanged glances in confusion. The hut was vacant, it was more like a house on sale. There was nothing inside, other than some furniture. The wardrobe and drawers were empty as well.

 

“They must’ve known that we found out about their hideout and fled.”

 

He clenched his fist furiously.

 

“Dammit!”

--------------------------------

Note: Thank you for reading and if you like it, do leave a comment down below ღ)

Chubs~