Chapter 13

The Heir Met A Thief

A new day had arrived with a fresh page yet to be written.

 

Sunggyu’s phone buzzed.

 

He switched off his alarm with a groan and got up, the sky was still dark that he could only tell the difference between the time to sleep and the time to wake up by the clock. He stretched his arms and ruffled his hair, which was sticking out everywhere messily. He yawned lazily and turned to Chubs, she was still sleeping soundly on the bed beside him. 

 

“Good morning Chubs,” he smiled and kissed her ear softly. Then, he moved to his bathroom to brush his teeth and wash his face before heading downstairs. He could already smell the aroma of Krystal’s cooking from the hallway. Her culinary skill has improved tremendously over the years. Taehyun often complimented her that if she wasn’t their housemaid, she could open a restaurant already.

 

“Good morning, young master! Did you sleep well?” The moment he slid into his chair, he was served an enormous platter of food, there were pancakes, scrambled eggs and bacon. He thanked her and indulged in.

 

It was always like this every morning. He would’ve his breakfast alone at the large dining table and no matter how many times he convinced Krystal to eat with him, the maid would refuse. She has started working for them when she turned 23 years old and the Kim family treated her like she was a family member for these past 13 years. She wanted to repay their kindness by serving them with her utmost respect.

 

Sunggyu finished his meal and made his way back to his room. He took a quick shower and changed into a suit. He sprayed a perfume that smelt sweet and sensual. After he was ready, he stepped out of his room and while he was closing the door, his eyes flickered to his left.

 

That kid must still be sleeping.

 

He wanted to leave him and get to the office first, however, his father was also not awake yet. It’ll be risky for Woohyun to be with Abeoji again. He his heels and walked to the guest room, he knocked.

 

No response.

 

He opened the door and saw the bed was unoccupied. That’s weird, that brat was never up early by himself before. It has always been Sunggyu waking him up in the office. He checked the bathroom, it was empty as well.

 

Where the hell is he?

 

He headed down while folding up his white sleeves. His eyes roamed around the living room, searching for him.

 

“Boss, I found something cute!”

 

He turned his head over his shoulder. There he was, standing at the sliding glass door to their garden. Woohyun was grinning cheekily with his hands behind his back. “What?” Sunggyu asked fretfully. He knew there was something amiss from Woohyun’s expression.

 

“Look at this!” Woohyun showed him the boxers he was holding, they looked awfully familiar to Sunggyu. “They’re some very cute Winnie the Pooh boxers, are these yours or your dongsaeng’s?” He asked with the left side of his faint red lip tugging upwards, creating a victory smirk on his face.

 

Sunggyu’s eyes dilated with horror and blood drained from his face. He had washed his clothes and hung them in the garden to dry yesterday. He was supposed to collect them last night, however, he was too surprised by Woohyun’s sudden arrival that he has forgotten all about it. He quickly composed himself.

 

“They’re not mine, hand them over.”

 

He extended his arm out with a straight face. He expected Woohyun to give him the boxers obediently, but that mischievous boy has another plan.

 

“Why should I? They’re not yours anyway,” Woohyun while waving the boxers in the air.

 

“YAHH give me back!” Sunggyu raised his voice. Instead of feeling scared, Woohyun moved backwards with his tongue sticking out playfully.

 

“So, are these really yours? I didn’t know your taste is that unique, I really can’t imagine you wearing this underneath your suit every day.”

 

He guffawed while slapping his palm against his thigh. He was laughing so hard that there were tears in his eyes. He didn’t realise the older had made his move stealthily towards him. Sunggyu tugged the boxers roughly once Woohyun let his guard down. However, he had used too much strength and caused them to topple over, ending up on the grass patch.

 

“Ah!”

 

He whimpered when Woohyun landed on top of his body. He opened his eyes at the same time when Woohyun lifted his head from Sunggyu’s chest.

 

Their eyes met. It was the first time Sunggyu really looked into them properly. Woohyun’s eyes were a rich brown, they could steal away someone’s breath while staring deep into their soul, Sunggyu was captivated by them. He didn’t dare to move, nor breathe, he was frozen in that spot. Their faces were just a few centimetres apart and he could feel his heartbeat echoed in his ears, it was getting louder and clearer.

 

Woohyun averted his gaze hurriedly and his eyes accidentally came upon Sunggyu’s lips. They were thin but so alluring that he let his eyes linger on them. There was a clouded look on his face as he stared at them. He has never kissed anyone before. Unconsciously, he wetted his own lips.

 

Sunggyu caught the same desire reflected in Woohyun’s eyes. He took that as a sign to lean forward, but before he could do so, Woohyun had retrieved.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

Woohyun broke off that intense tension and scrambled to his feet. He offered his hand to Sunggyu, but the latter rejected him. Sunggyu stood up by himself and scurried to his room, with his boxers in hand. His suit was dirtied.

 

He could feel his heart still beating, pulsing and thumping.

 

•••

 

“Goodbye, young master. Take care of yourself and don’t work too hard.” Krystal handed him his briefcase. Chubs came down to send him off reluctantly. He bent down to pick her up in his arms and nuzzled his nose against her crown. She was upset. “I’ll be back soon.” He her fur before placing her back on the floor.

 

“Wait for me!”

 

Woohyun called from the hallway and he appeared in a dishevelled condition. He rushed as he didn’t want to be abandoned by Sunggyu here. Who knows what that Chairman will do to me?... A chill ran down his spine at that thought. He carried his backpack on one shoulder and wore his sneakers hastily.

 

“Goodbye, young master. Have a nice day!” Krystal smiled to Woohyun politely, he was astonished.

 

“A-Ah thank you, but you don’t have to call me that. Just Woohyun will do.” He replied with a sheepish smile, not used to being addressed as a young master. In fact, it was Taehyun who instructed Krystal to address him that.

 

“Hurry up,” Sunggyu instructed and left the house. Woohyun bent down to the kitten’s head before following him to the garage.

 

“So, what’s the design you’re wearing now? Tigger, Piglet or Eeyore?” Woohyun teased when he sensed the awkward atmosphere between them. Sunggyu shot him a glare and immediately headlocked him cautiously without causing a bruise. Woohyun groaned in pain while giggling, Sunggyu’s reaction was hilarious. He has almost forgotten that the older was a boxer.

 

“Do you still want to find out?” Sunggyu whispered in a husky voice into his ear, locking his head between the crook of his elbow, he was threatening him while resisting the urge to bite his sensitive ear, which was turning red. Woohyun was flushed as he could feel Sunggyu’s breath at his ear.

 

“I-I get it, I’ll keep quiet.” He quickly surrendered and Sunggyu released him.

 

 

Woohyun shoved a spoon of bibimbap into his mouth. He was famished since he didn’t have breakfast.

 

“Hyun!”

 

His head shot up instantly and he beamed, it was Sungyeol. He sat on the opposite side of the table and placed a bowl of samgyetang down.

 

“Yeollie!” He squealed excitedly, there were other employees in the canteen as well. He wanted to hug him, but it would attract too much attention and he certainly didn’t want that.

 

“What happened to your arm?” Sungyeol asked concernedly when he noticed his bandaged arm. Woohyun looked down.

 

“Oh, it’s nothing. It doesn’t hurt at all.” He stared at his arm and thought of Sunggyu since the latter was the one who treated his wound. It reminded him of the boxers and he suppressed his laughter.

 

“Where’s Hoya?” He asked while his eyes scanned the canteen for his best friend.

 

“He’s working now. We have a different shift,” Sungyeol explained. He could already imagine Howon’s sulky and jealous face once he found out that he met Woohyun at the canteen. He bit his lips and fought back a smile.

 

Oh right, I can pass him the phone.

 

Sungyeol pulled out the iPhone X from his pocket and handed it to Woohyun. The latter gave him a puzzled look.

 

“Hoya bought it for you and he has already saved our numbers in it. You can contact us anytime you want. Hyun ah, text him when you’re free, he misses you a lot and he’ll be so happy when he sees your message!”

 

Woohyun chuckled and nodded his head before sliding the phone into his pocket. While they were eating, he told Sungyeol all the happenings and how he discovered that ‘L’ was Myungsoo.

 

“What? So now you’ve to live with that ?” Sungyeol grimaced at that thought. “If there’s only me and him in the earth, I’d rather be alone for the rest of my life or kill myself.”

 

Woohyun was bemused. It was rare to see Sungyeol’s murderous hatred towards someone. Normally, he’d be more rational as compared to Woohyun and Howon, who were reckless.

 

“But what a coincidence! You get to meet Chubs again, that cutie pie!” Woohyun giggled. All the members in Infinity Free Souls adored her. He was contented to see her again, even if it was just for a short while, at least he had the chance to see how she was doing. Since Sunggyu was her owner, he knew she was definitely in good hands. He could tell that his boss doted on her a lot. After I’ve completed the mission, I’ll give her a hug before leaving.

 

“Yeol, I’m so sorry. I didn’t know L was actually Myungsoo. If I did, I wouldn’t have let you and Hoya work in Kim Corporate. Now because of my foolishness, you’ve to see him daily in that department.” He apologised with a pout.

 

“It’s okay, don’t beat yourself up. At least Hoya and I have more chances to see you now. Besides, the company provides a nice dormitory for us to sleep, I’m glad we didn’t have to sleep on the streets now. After you’ve completed what that man instructed you to do, we can leave this place together and find the old man.” Woohyun couldn’t wait to see Jungyeop soon.

 

“By the way, there’s something suspicious about that Chairman’s secretary, I’m suspecting that the old man might be behind this. Have you talked to that guy?” Woohyun shook his head sadly. After Kibum handed him Jungyeop’s book, he has never seen him again in the company.

 

“We can ask the old man about it when we see him. I hope it’s true that he really didn’t abandon you.” Woohyun agreed.

 

Suddenly, he remembered something important and whispered into Sungyeol’s ears.

 

“Yeol, I have questions about hacking that I need to ask you.”

 

•••

 

Once Woohyun was back in the office, he started working diligently on the laptop. He memorised everything that Sungyeol had taught him in the canteen. Even though he had gotten a hold of Jungyeop’s book, the content was too brief for an empty-headed person like him to hack successfully.

 

He glanced at the device on the table, he was grateful to own a handphone now. He used to think it was bothersome to bring it around and it wasn’t like he has anyone else to call or text.

 

He pressed enter and the system began to load. He crossed his fingers and shut his eyes tightly, holding his breath. Soon, a green bar appeared on the screen. There was a word in bold.

 

Complete.

 

His eyes glittered in happiness. Finally, he has completed the mission. He has successfully hacked into YJ Company’s files, he could hardly contain his joy.

 

“Boss, I’m done!”

 

He announced and made his way towards Sunggyu frantically, he was overjoyed. Sunggyu stopped typing on his computer and looked up. Woohyun carried the laptop and showed it to him with a smug smile. That boy was practically boasting about his accomplishment like a puppy, he was wagging his tail and wanting to be petted by Sunggyu. He’s like an open book. When he’s happy, angry or sad, his emotions are written so clearly on his face.

 

Sunggyu chuckled and stood up. He leaned his upper body forward to pat Woohyun’s head affectionately. There was a little static shock that went through Woohyun’s body by the touch and his face was the epitome of surprise.

 

“You did well, good job.” He praised him with a proud grin that stretched from ear to ear. An unexpected warmth rushed through Woohyun. His smile shined so bright that it reminded Woohyun of the city lights in Seoul that he saw through the window at night, it was breath-taking. At that moment, he wanted to pause the time, so he could capture Sunggyu’s sincere smile while looking at him fondly.

 

He felt the heat growing in his cheeks and he ducked his head to hide his face. That scared me, I thought he’d tease me. I didn’t expect him to say the words I’ve wanted to hear. Woohyun’s heart skipped a beat. It was just a superior praising his accomplice, why am I feeling this way?

 

A knock interrupted them and he returned to his seat. 

 

“Come in.”

 

Dongwoo entered, Sunggyu had already filled him in on the incident yesterday.

 

“Good morning boss. Woohyun ah, did you sleep well last night?” Dongwoo greeted cheerfully and Woohyun nodded with a smile. Sunggyu informed him about obtaining the YJ Company’s files and the secretary began to look through them attentively at the couch with him.

 

“So, am I allowed to leave now?”

 

Sunggyu was stunned, he gulped hard. Even Dongwoo was looking at him, waiting for his answer.

 

Sunggyu knew he must let Woohyun go, this was what they had agreed on and he knew Woohyun would leave since he didn’t belong here in the first place. Keeping him longer by his side would just hurt him even more once his feelings start to develop.

 

Before Sunggyu could answer him, Woohyun’s phone rang. He glanced at the screen.

 

Number 1 was calling.

 

His mouth twitched. Only one person would be so narcissistic to save his contact as that ‘Number 1’ in his phone.

 

“Sorry, I’ll be out for a minute.”

 

He rushed out of the office with his phone. Sunggyu scrunched his eyebrows while his eyes followed Woohyun’s retreating figure.

 

“I don’t remember him owning a phone and he seems excited over that phone call, I guess it must be from his girlfriend.” Dongwoo made a wild guess and snickered. He didn’t notice Sunggyu’s gaze had hardened and his face became stiff.

 

“Sunggyu, look at this.” Dongwoo pointed at the screen to Sunggyu and realised that the heir was distracted. He followed his stare and it led him to Woohyun laughing while on the phone.

 

Is he perhaps… Dongwoo gasped. It has been long since he saw that expression on Sunggyu’s face, the last time he had caught it was during high school.

 

•••

 

“Stop being sulky.” Howon was upset that Sungyeol had managed to meet Woohyun. It was his break now and he was eating alone in the canteen.

 

“I really want to see you now, I miss you.”

 

Woohyun laughed at his clingy best friend. “Stop it, you sound as if you’re my girlfriend, I’m getting goosebumps here. I promise you that we’ll meet soon okay? And thanks for getting me a phone!” He glanced at the office, oblivious to the deadly aura. ”Hey, actually I can’t talk for too long or Kim Sunggyu will get suspicious, I’ll talk to you later.” He ended the call shortly and headed back.

 

“Who called you?”

 

Sunggyu’s voice was hoarse, he was displeased. Woohyun was confused. Why is he mad? He shot a brief look to Dongwoo.

 

Yah answer my question! Was it your girl? Did she get you a new phone?” Sunggyu was inflamed and Woohyun shook his head. “He’s just my friend.” He explained reluctantly.

 

“Don’t you know that you’re not supposed to answer any personal phone call in the office?”

 

The atmosphere became tense. Woohyun felt that Sunggyu was ridiculous for being furious over such a trivial matter. Seriously, what’s his problem? Is he trying to pick a fight with me? He was about to retaliate when Dongwoo immediately cut in.

 

“Woohyun ah, it’s time for you to go to school now.”

 

Dongwoo tried to laugh it off and pushed Woohyun to the door, waving him goodbye. Afterwards, he walked back to the desk and eyed Sunggyu seriously.

 

“What was that about? I didn’t know we aren’t allowed to answer any private phone call when we’re working. Was there even such a rule? Why did you lie to him?” Dongwoo asked while folding his arms.

 

Sunggyu was aware of his feelings this time, he wasn’t that dense. Jealousy. He felt it, he didn’t like the thought of Woohyun smiling happily while talking to someone else.

 

 

Class has finally ended. Thankfully Young Jae didn’t attend school today, so Woohyun don’t have to see that annoying face. He packed his bag and exited the classroom with Sungjong. They were exchanging contact numbers and discussing about the homework given by their lecturers.

 

“Sungjong-ssi!”

 

They stopped chatting and turned their heads. Sae Ron was standing at the school gate with an anxious look, she was alone. Sungjong was surprised as it was unusual of her addressing him properly. Normally, she would call him nasty names.

 

“What do you want? Are you here to bully him again?” Woohyun asked coldly, stepping in front of Sungjong protectively. He didn’t want her to hurt his friend.

 

Sae Ron ignored him. “Young Jae is involved in a fight with Kangin’s gang at the back alley. You have to save him!” She seemed to be in a panic while Woohyun was secretly happy about it. Serves him right! I didn’t expect karma to come so quickly. I hope whoever that gang is will throw him a few more punches so that I won’t have to see his face anymore. He tried his best to hide his smile.

 

“Isn’t he always fighting? What does it got to do with me? He can do whatever he wants, it’s none of my business.” Sungjong answered unemotionally and walked away. That’s right Sungjong!

 

“No, it’s different this time! They’re fighting violently. Young Jae’s bleeding heavily and he might lose his life anytime soon!” Sae Ron’s voice was trembling, she was scared. Even though she was a victim of Young Jae’s gang, she couldn’t close one eye when she witnessed Kangin’s gang beating Young Jae to death. There was a pool of blood on the ground and Young Jae was no match against them, especially when s weren’t with him.

 

Sungjong’s eyes widened.

 

Bleeding heavily… Lose his life…

 

He began freaking out internally and broke into a sprint without a second thought. Woohyun was dumbfounded. W-Wait what?

 

“Yah Sungjong!”

 

“Lee Sungjong!”

 

No matter how many times he called him, the latter turned a deaf ear and continued running.

 

Jae ah, please be okay.

 

Woohyun chased after him instantaneously, he couldn’t abandon him.

 

 

Why isn’t he back yet?

 

Sunggyu wondered while glancing at his watch. It has been 5 hours since Woohyun left the office and his class had ended an hour ago. He should be here by now.

 

Suddenly, his phone vibrated during the meeting, it was a call from an unknown number. He picked up.

 

“Hello, is this Shin Woohyun’s guardian?”

 

He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

 

“Yes, may I know who’s speaking?” He asked in confusion.

 

“I’m Woohyun’s form teacher, Ms Wong. I would like to inform you that he was caught in a fight with Sekang High School’s students and he’s currently in Seoul Hospital.”

 

Sunggyu’s body jolted up from the chair instantly.

--------------------------------

Note: Thank you for reading and if you like it, do leave a comment down below (⺣◡⺣)♡*