Chapter 14

The Heir Met A Thief

“Alright, I’m done.”

 

The nurse informed him after cleaning up his wounds and placed her essentials back onto the tray. She smiled at him, sterilised her hands at the entrance and left the room. He was alone. Woohyun headed to the bathroom and looked in the mirror.

 

I look like .

 

His face was bruised by one of Kangin’s gang members as he protected Sungjong. However, other than that, the doctor had examined him and claimed that he was fine, there was no serious injury or whatsoever.

 

He stepped out and walked along the hallway, passing by a few doors with a hand-sanitizer dispenser and a large plastic sign, hung on the wall, containing the names of the patients. He was searching for his friend.

 

Kim Young Jae.

 

Here he is.

 

He halted his footsteps, taking in a deep breath before he entered the room. The first thing he saw was Sungjong’s back. He was sitting by Young Jae’s bed, clutching onto the patient’s hand against his cheek. Young Jae looked far worse than horrible. Purple welts were scattered across his face and body, and his left eye was swollen. 

 

Woohyun placed his hand on Sungjong’s shoulder to notify his presence.

 

“How is he?” Woohyun asked in concern and took a seat beside him. When they arrived at the scene, Young Jae had already lost his conscious and was lying on the ground.

 

“H-He’s still unconscious and it’s been 2 hours already.” Sungjong’s voice was shaking. “He will wake up right?” He bit his lips, holding back his tears. He feared that Young Jae would leave him and the despair was like concrete in his veins. The doctor had even reported that they should be mentally prepared for the worst. Sungjong needed reassurance from someone.

 

“Sungjong, he’ll be alright. Have you forgotten? He’s Kim Yong Jae, a great fighter in our school, he’ll overcome any obstacles in life.” He tried to console him, even though he knew it was futile. He felt useless as his friend since he could only do this much for him. 

 

If only I had known how much Sungjong cares for Young Jae… If only I’d realised about Sungjong’s feelings towards Young Jae… Maybe all these wouldn’t have happened, I could’ve acted as a middleman and helped them.

 

After he found out the reason for Young Jae attacking Kangin in the first place, Woohyun was positive that Sungjong and Young Jae’s attractions towards each other were mutual. They were just hiding behind those walls they built, waiting for each other to knock it down. However, none of them dared to make the first move. Sungjong thought that the reason behind his best friend changing drastically over the past few years after his confession of being homoual was that he was homophobic, and he felt that he was unreachable. On another hand, Young Jae was afraid to hurt Sungjong.

 

“But I’m so scared. Just thinking about him abandoning me and not being able to see him anymore really terrifies me.” Sungjong sobbed, his shoulders trembling. He was shattered and exhausted, he hoped that everything was only a nightmare. “I’m such a coward, I kept denying my feelings for him. Maybe that’s why God is taking him away from me as a punishment.”

 

Woohyun pulled Sungjong into his chest and his back tenderly. He didn’t know how to comfort him, and it was killing him to see his friend in this state. After Sungjong kept a cool head, he went to the toilet to wash his puffy eyes.

 

Woohyun turned to the patient. “Kim Young Jae, if you don’t want to see him in tears, you better wake up quickly. I know about your feelings for him.” He hoped that he could hear this despite being comatose. “You were mistaken for a bully in school because you fight with anyone who made fun of him for being gay. You even put up a strong front to protect him secretly, and because of that, I’ll forgive you for hitting me and I won’t hold any grudge against you.” This was something that he didn’t want Sungjong to hear as he would blame himself for sure.

 

Tears formed in his eyes as he was aware that nobody would realise that Young Jae loved Sungjong a lot, probably much more than the latter did.

 

“So please don’t leave him, he really needs you.”

 

 

Sunggyu was panting when he reached the Seoul Hospital. He had dismissed the meeting and rushed as soon as he received the call that Woohyun was admitted here.

 

“Yes, may I help you?” A lady at the receptionist stood up and greeted him politely.

 

“I’m looking for a patient, his name’s Shin Woohyun.” He waited impatiently while she checked the patients’ files through her computer. He was very worried about Woohyun’s condition and he needed to see him as soon as possible.

 

“Oh, Mr Shin has already been discharged.” He let out a sigh of relief, this meant that Woohyun wasn’t badly injured.

 

“When did he leave?” He asked, glancing at his watch.

 

“Half an hour ago.”

 

 

Sunggyu parked his vehicle at the garage. He had checked Woohyun’s location through the GPS installed in his earring, it indicated that he was already at home.

 

He entered the house and looked around the living room. It was dead quiet, not even Krystal and Chubs were there. Where’s everyone? As he was about to head towards the stairs to the guest room, he heard a familiar voice from the kitchen and stopped.

 

“Cut it out!”

 

He made his way there and stood at the entrance.

 

“Just shut up and let me have a look at how serious it is!” Myungsoo grabbed Woohyun’s chin to face him forcefully. There were dark purple bruises on his cheekbone and a long nasty cut at the corner of his lips. Chubs was on the dining chair, staring at him anxiously with her paws on his belly.

 

“You fought with someone in school?” Myungsoo interrogated.

 

“It’s none of your business, don’t touch me.” Woohyun slapped his hand, wanting to be freed so that he could go back to his room and find a way to hide his wounds from his boss. His other hand was around Chubs, to secure her from falling. He remembered Sunggyu ordering him, “You better not be caught fighting in school.” I’d be dead meat if he has found out.

 

Sunggyu clenched his jaw at the sight where Myungsoo refused to let Woohyun go, despite the latter struggling to escape. “What are you two doing?” His cold eyes pierced his brother specifically, they were surprised to see him. Myungsoo retracted his hand and Woohyun immediately turned away from Sunggyu, scrunching up his face. Oh … Chubs sensed her owner’s temper and sank back into the chair, hiding under the table.

 

“Hyung? Why are you home so early?” Instead of replying, Sunggyu shot daggers at Myungsoo before grabbing Woohyun’s wrist and tugging him away.

 

Myungsoo discerned something and his lips quirked into a smirk.

 

Hyung, I guess I found another way to gain your attention.

 

•••

 

Sunggyu pulled Woohyun into his room. It was the first time Woohyun set foot in there and he was extremely curious to see how it looked like. However, Sunggyu had cornered him against the door and his tall figure towered above his short frame, blocking his vision completely. Aish… Woohyun grumped silently since he couldn’t peek at anything from behind.

 

Suddenly, Sunggyu held his cheeks firmly to inspect his condition. Woohyun wanted to push him away until he noticed the way Sunggyu touched his face and studied his wounds. Instead of mocking him, he actually seemed worried.

 

“Did they hurt you anywhere other than your face?” He asked, still cupping his cheeks. Woohyun was dazed, not used to Sunggyu treating him so gently. He thought he’d be lectured by the elder for getting involved in a fight. He shook his head tentatively.

 

To verify that Woohyun wasn’t lying, Sunggyu lifted his uniform abruptly. Woohyun covered his body in panic, but it was too late, Sunggyu had already caught a glimpse of the bruise on his abdomen. It hadn’t recover yet ever since the day Young Jae assaulted him. 

 

“Yah Shin Woohyun, be honest with me! Are you bullied in school?” He asked in a hoarse voice, he was furious. Why is he so mad for?

 

“I’m not, it’s just a misunderstanding between me and my classmate, we’re okay now.” He explained, which wasn’t a lie. Young Jae had bashed him to shield Sungjong, even though Woohyun meant no harm. Sunggyu sighed heavily.

 

“Seeing you like this makes me go crazy to the point where it pisses me off! I really wanna find out who hurt you and beat them up now!” Woohyun’s eyes widened and he stared at Sunggyu, who was ruffling his hair in frustration. So, he’s angry because I’m hurt? … But why though?

 

Sunggyu crept closer and wrapped his arms around Woohyun instinctively.

 

“Seriously, don’t ever get yourself in trouble again! I thought my heart was gonna stop in my chest when I heard that you were in the hospital.”

 

He reprimanded Woohyun and the latter stood stunned by the sudden hug. He was astounded as Sunggyu was embracing him as though he was someone very precious to him.

 

He noticed Sunggyu’s body pressing into his, it felt soft and warm. He smelt the scent of an exquisite cologne from his suit, as well as the vanilla fragrance mixed with his sweat from his body. He closed his eyes momentarily and his heartbeat quickened, he felt safe in his arms.

 

“And I’m warning you, stay away from Myungsoo. From this point onwards, I don’t want to see you being too close with him or you’re going to get it from me.”

 

An irritated frown creased Woohyun’s forehead and he was tight-lipped. He pushed Sunggyu away to face him properly.

 

“Why are you bossing me around like this? Who do you think you’re to control my life as if you own it? You aren’t my family or my friend or even my lover, what rights do you have?”

 

Just like Sungyeol, he hated it when he was restricted by someone, it was as if he was being treated like a puppet. The only people in the world he’d receive orders from were Jungyeop and his deceased family members. Just because I’m working under him temporarily doesn’t mean he can control my whole life like I’m his dog. Besides, I’ve already completed the task that he has given me. I can decide who I wanna be friends with.

 

Sunggyu chuckled in amusement to watch the inflamed and rebellious Woohyun.

 

“I have everything; looks, career and wealth. How about it?” He smirked, being arrogant as usual.

 

“How about what?” Woohyun asked in annoyance, his voice crackled with anger. Is he seriously boasting to me right now?

 

He froze when Sunggyu moved closer to his ear and whispered, “I’m suggesting that you and I become something. Out of all three that you’ve just mentioned, I think lover sounds good.” The hot breath ghosted against his ear, causing a chill to run down his spine.

 

“So, what do you think?”

 

Once he comprehended what Sunggyu had told him, he gasped with his jaw hanging loosely and held up his crossed arms instantly to put a distance between them.

 

“I don’t discriminate anyone for being gay, but can you not involve me in that?”

 

He rejected him politely with a forced smile. He hasn’t dated anyone before and this was the first time he was confessed to, which he would never expect to receive it from a guy. That was pretty awkward.

 

“If you don’t, then why not try it?”

 

Before Woohyun could ask what he meant by that, Sunggyu yanked his arms away and leaned in. Everything happened on the spur of the moment, his lips brushed against Woohyun’s, causing the younger’s body to jolt as he was startled. He shivered when Sunggyu’s cold fingers rested below his ear and his thumb caressed his cheek as he tilted his head to deepen the kiss. He was careful not to hurt Woohyun’s wound.

 

Woohyun felt a smouldering heat deep within him and it frightened him to experience this way. He placed his hands against Sunggyu’s chest and shoved him.

 

“Y-YAH! Stop joking around, we’re both guys and I’m straight.” He declared, wiping his lips hard and he turned his head to the side to avert his gaze, the rosiness of his cheeks gave him away, he was flustered. Sunggyu suppressed a smile. He’s so adorable.

 

“I don’t know if I like guys but there’s one thing I’m very sure of, I like you. And for that reason, I’ll make you fall for me, so you better be prepared for it.”

 

Sunggyu made up his mind to acknowledge his feelings, he didn’t want to run away from them anymore, he cared for Woohyun. Although the thief had fulfilled the mission, he didn’t have any plan of releasing him. He wanted to be selfish and keep him by his side. 

 

Something fluttered in Woohyun’s stomach and he has never felt this way before. At that moment, he knew if he said anything his words would be fumbled, and he’d end up looking like an idiot. Therefore, he opened the door and ran away. He locked himself in the guestroom and lied on the bed, with his arms over his eyes to calm himself down. He was experiencing too many emotions at once; humiliation, shock, confusion, and fear.

 

Sunggyu’s kiss and the confession replayed in his mind like a mantra, causing his heart to palpitate. That’s my first kiss… His fingers touched his lips and he groaned. 

 

Kim Sunggyu is a dangerous creature.

--------------------------------

Note: Woah time flies so fast, it's been a year since I had published this story. Thank you so much to all the readers, subscribers, comments, upvotes, and also, my beta reader (〃ー〃)/ ♡