Chapter 9

How do we go against fate?

Wendy stood rooted to the ground, her jaw hung open. What the ? What the is happening?

"'Hannah?!''

There the older woman laid in her own pool of blood, a hole evident in her chest. Wendy glanced over to Tyler, who seemed exasperated and just as shocked as herself. His hands were trembling, losing grip of the gun before it clattered to the ground with a thud that soon filled the silent room. He too had a gunshot in his left arm but it was nowhere as ghastly as Hannah's wound. Wendy didn't know what to do or how to feel. What was she supposed to feel? Since Irene left, Wendy has eradicated every ounce of emotion left in her body. As her eyes bored into her almost lifeless mother, she feels lost. She feels empty. All she sees is Tyler and his guards rushing over to the injured lady, frantically doing anything and everything to stop the blood from gushing out of her hollow chest. It just kept pouring.. and pouring.

Sadness. Anger. Loneliness. Confusion. Desperation. Nothing came to Wendy's mind. She's forgotten how to feel....

It wasn't that Wendy didn't love her mother, she neither hated or loved her. Her relationship with her mother was neutral, she just saw her as somebody who gave birth to her. Nothing more, nothing less. She has lost the respect and erased all memories with her mother before that day. The day where her father said goodbye forever. 

She stares blankly as her mother struggles to breathe, the pain overwhelming her small body. She sees the tears rolling down Tyler's cheeks, hearing him repeatedly saying 'sorry' and 'please forgive me'. Wendy lightly chuckles. Who knew the ever so great Tyler Jung had a heart? She notices the pairs of eyes at her, looking at her up and down. They probably think that she was crazy. 

Somehow, Wendy feels jealous. Jealous of her mother. That could've been her, that should have been her on that floor. She should be the one bleeding, struggling to hold on for her dear life. Why couldn't that have been her? Why wasn't it her? Why did her mother protect her? Wendy wasn't worthy, she was not worthy enough to be saved. Her suffering could've ended if that bullet had pierced her chest instead. So why? What pushed her mother to take that reckless action? Was that a way to redeem herself as a mother? Was that act enough for her to erase all of her sins? Was Wendy supposed to forgive her?

Wendy's thoughts were filled with the haunting thoughts, nearly suffocating her. She couldn't think straight, the heavy weight of envy wouldn't seem to leave her body. 

She sees the two guns on the floor. With everyone occupied, this would certainly be a good time. She slowly crept towards the deadly weapon, her hand reaching for it.

''Seungwan-ah." Her mother's voice called out for her. Wendy turns to face her pale mother. "Come here, my princess.'' Wendy shudders at the sudden display of affection but still makes her way over. Tyler kept his gaze down, too ashamed to spare Wendy a glance. He indeed had just shot her mother.

Hannah flashes a weak smile. In front of her, stood her detached and emotionless daughter. But she squinted hard enough, looking past Wendy's facade, discovering her little daughter who was jovial and loving. Oh, how the tables have turned. How did it end up like this? What went wrong? Hannah felt nothing but deep regret at that moment because she knew that there was nothing left to salvage. She caused everything to fall apart, she couldn't even hold on to the man who loved her most and did no wrong to her. And here she was, staring into the eyes of the girl who was caught up in all her wrongdoings. Her little girl.. She has broken her fragile Shon Seungwan. She was no mother, let alone a decent human being. Hannah spots a glimpse of sadness flash across Wendy's face before her expression became stoic again. Was she worthy of sympathy? 

Hannah knew she didn't have much time left, she knew the Angel of Death was coming for her. In a matter of minutes. 

With the few specks of energy left, she reaches for Wendy's body and pulled her into an embrace. Wendy is left stunned as her white t-shirt turn red quickly. Both women pushed their unwanted ego aside, ignoring the stares of the men in the room and melt into each other's arms. For a moment, they felt safe and they were protected from the daggers of the world. For a moment, they felt like an actual pair of mother and daughter. 

The mother sniffed in her daughter's scent and caresses the latter's head softly. She placed her lips lightly on the younger's forehead, hoping that kiss would mean as much to Seungwan as it meant for her. She couldn't recall the last time holding her daughter close to her or the last kiss she had placed on her daughter's skin. Everything else was a vague memory for her, but somehow Hannah reminisces of Wendy's early childhood; her carefree personality, her laughter, and her sweet smile. Whenever Wendy tries to stifle a smile but gracefully fails every single time. How her cheekbones slowly rise forming two full pink peaches and her teeth showing behind her lips and she breaks into a huge lovely smile. The smile that made everyone's hearts melt, that could put the sun to shame. Hannah ponders for a second. When was the last time she saw that smile? When did she last see her daughter happy? Has it been that long? Hannah is flooded with sadness, suddenly in deep desperation, and longing to see her beautiful daughter smile for her once more. 

Her mind clicks.

Bae Joohyun. Irene, the girl whom Wendy loved. Hannah had seen the girl a couple of times and she had seen how the two young ladies exuded pure happiness and love wherever they go. Hannah had never seen a better pairing than those two. They were certainly made for each other, a key that fit snugly into a lock. Hannah had seen the two looked at each other, and anyone could see how they held each other in one another's eyes. It was the kind of love that came once in a million years, and Hannah was happy. She was relieved her daughter had a love like that, she knew she would not have to worry if Wendy had Irene and vise versa. 

Hannah knew the kind of man Tyler was, she knew of the pain and the destruction he had brought to her only daughter. Every day, she beat herself up for it, for not being able to protect her daughter. She prayed and prayed that her tears could save Wendy instead. She was a coward, and even on the brink of death, she regretted it. She is weighed down by regret, for failing her daughter terribly. She was the only one Wendy had but even then, she had turned her own back against her offspring. She's seen the marks on her child's body, she's heard the words that knocked Wendy down, she's seen the cruelty Wendy had to experienced yet she still did nothing. Hannah had left her assigned soulmate for someone else, so why was she contradicting herself? Why was Tyler contradicting himself? Why does he want to hurt her daughter and his daughter? Two innocent human beings, who had never done Tyler or Hannah wrong. 

Perhaps it's time for Hannah to do something right, to act like a real mother would.

 Hannah had to save Irene before it was too late. Because if Irene was gone, Wendy would be gone too.

She pulls Wendy closer, placing on the younger's left ear.

"Don't react or they'll kill us two.''

Wendy grips her mother's hand as a sign of understanding.

''You need to go to Irene now. She's in danger." 

Hannah feels Wendy freeze under her hold and she soothes the latter's back.

"I love you, Seungwan-ah. I'm sorry, i hope you can forgive me." The walls around Wendy's heart came crashing down, hearing those words. A lone tear escapes her eye.

She feels the arms around her loosen, sees her mother's eyes fluttering close. She hears her mom stop breathing, she smells the haunting scent of blood. She tastes the overpowering feeling of fear engulfing before she throws up.

This was all too much for a twenty-one year old.

She wipes with the back of her hand, before her mind reverted back to Irene. Irene needed her most right now and Wendy can't afford to fail her. She gets up, throwing one last look at her mother before letting her legs take over, ignoring Tyler's cries that demanded her to stay. 

It didn't matter that she was soaked in her mom's blood. All she knew was she had to get to Irene fast.

Soon enough, the bodyguards were tailing her, a thunderstorm of their heavy footsteps right behind Wendy's light ones.

From afar, it was like a movie scene. A hero against numerous villains. This quickly caught the attention of many passerby; and that included the attention of Joy.

Joy watches as Wendy and the black suited guys zoom past and she tries to silence the weird feeling in her stomach. She shoots it down, trying to convince herself that Wendy was okay. Wendy doesn't need help. It was better for Joy to stay out of her way before things get ugly. She shouldn't make it hard for Wendy again.

But there was it was; the heavy tugging at Joy's heartstrings.

Ugh, this .

She tries to call out for Wendy but they go unheard. She started to follow behind the group.

Then,  she spots the all familiar black weapon in the back pockets of the men.

, Irene and Wendy are in danger.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi guys.... before you kill me, i apologise for taking too long. i was stuck on the outcome from the last chapter and i whirpooled into this blackhole of confusion.. i wanted to take a few month hiatus and i quickly forgot about this story. i hope this chapter suffices, and i will try more regular updates (-: PLEASE FORGIVE ME I AM SORRY. please enjoy.