Chapter 2

How do we go against fate?

Flashbacks will be in italics.Worked really hard on this chapter, please enjoy it. I hope this chapter manages to clear some of your doubts. take care, stay safe (:

 

 

 


Author’s Pov

 

One has no control of his feelings. One has no control over whom he chooses to love. It wasn’t fair. Who thought it was a good idea to meddle with whom people chose to engage in romantic relationships with? Who said that it was okay to play with people’s emotions like they were nothing? Wendy sighs.

 

In a world where inhabitants had no ing say, Wendy wishes she was dead instead.

 

Wendy walks along the dimly street, hands in her pocket. Irene had gone over to her parents’ for the weekend, and Wendy felt so lonely. She misses Irene.

 

They had been on the low for two years now. It was a hassle, it was tiring. The government kept a close eye on every individual who has been assigned a soulmate, to ensure they are keeping to the book. It was hell, to be frank. They rarely went out and had dates in Irene’s apartment most of the time. Wendy felt sorry. She felt sorry that she couldn’t show Irene off to the whole world like Irene deserves to. But that could get the both of them into a lot of trouble. 

And Wendy promised to always protect Irene. 

 

Wendy was afraid should the two get caught. The maximum sentence that they could face was then again, the death penalty. 

 

How stupid. How ing stupid this whole system was. Why couldn’t they just accept two human beings in love?

 

Nonetheless, Wendy was grateful. The whole world may be against the two right now, but Wendy still has Irene by her side. And that was enough. The two would fight together, hand in hand.

 

 

 

“Wendy, come down! There’s a mail for you!”

 

Wendy sprung right up, dashing down the stairs and grabbing the package, whispering a thank you to the mailman.

 

This was it. She wouldn’t contain the surge of emotions. She had been waiting for this moment all her life. 

 

The revelation of her Soulmate.

 

She locks herself in the room, places the package before her. She was nervous, to say the least. Beads of sweat rolling down her cheeks.This package right here held the information of her future wife. What a big deal it was. This package right here determined the person she was going to spend her entire life with. She was eager but she was dreading it as well.

 

 

What if it turned out to be a creep? What if it turned out to be a serial murderer? What if it turned out to be a male? Call her crazy but it would be okay. She would choose any of that rather than to be paired with Park Sooyoung. 

 

What if it was?

 

She stunned for a moment. They wouldn't right? The government weren't too bad were they? They already ripped Wendy off her freedom to love someone she chooses so they wouldn't choose Park Sooyoung would they? The selection is totally random, what were the odds? 51 million people in the country, the probability of getting Sooyoung was close to 0. That can't be it, she chose to believe. 

 

Wendy held on to that little glimpse of hope that was flickering, threatening to burn out. 

 

Her trembling fingers hung on the opening. She couldn't seem to let go of the negative thoughts. She took a deep breath, trying to calm her nerves. 

 

Here goes nothing. 

 

She ripped it open. 

 

It was like a terrible ticker tape. God was mocking her. Her soul left her body as Wendy stared into complete nothingness. What a wonderful ing surprise. 

 

She stormed out of the room, her world of vision red in fury. 

 

The haunting words remain still,

 

"The assigned soulmate for Shon Seungwan has been finalised. Below is a complete profile of Park Sooyoung, please kindly read through it. Attached behind are the rules and regulations you are required to abide by. 

 

Any form of opposition to our decision will not be tolerated. Immediate actions will be taken against the individual. Should you engage in a relationship with another, death sentences may be taken into account on the two parties."

 

Her life was a joke. 

 

"Tyler, what the is this bull?!", Wendy bellowed in a voice she couldn't recognise herself. 

 

Her stepdad crossed his arms, giving a sinister smile. 

 

"It's about time you got yourself a soulmate, my dear. You do seem a little lonely these days.", He responded before breaking into a fit of laughter.

 

And Wendy never wished more for anything but to punch that smile out of his face. 

 

"You son of a ! What is wrong with you?"

 

"Now that's no way to talk to your dad, child."

 

"You're not my ing dad! What the is wrong with you? Why are you always out to hurt me? Wasn't taking away my mom from my dad enough? You psycho!"

 

"But it wouldn't be fun if I just stopped at that wouldn't it, sweetheart?" And he flashed that stupid smile of his again. Wendy ran towards him, grabbing his collar. 

 

"You work in the parliament, do something about it Tyler. Or I'll kill you!"

 

"Beg for it."

 

She punches him, causing blood to ooze out of his now broken nose. 

 

"You paired me up with Joy for your amusement didn't you? That's your ing daughter!"

 

"You're never home so I can't be present 24/7 to be a constant reminder of how miserable your life had turned out to be. So my Joy will take my place from now on", Tyler insinuated, aggressively wiping the blood off his face before pushing Wendy aside. 

 

"You can't escape from this one, Wendy. But I'll like to see you try."

 

 

Wendy grimaced at the thought of her stepdad. Tyler, what a ing douchebag. What did mom even see in him? How did he even land that job? What good was there in that animal? He only brought harm and torture to Wendy. He couldn't see Wendy in peace, her pain was his entertainment. She couldn't understand why. She wishes the two divorce soon. 

 

Was he even thinking at that point of time? What kind of sick joke was it to pair up herself with his daughter? 

 

What a ing . And same went to Joy. Thinking she could even stand a chance to win Wendy over. She probably had some dirty motives underneath her sleeves. How could she even have the audacity to come into Wendy's life, thinking that Wendy would welcome her with open arms? The nerve of her into thinking that there could even be an 'us' between her and Wendy. 

 

"What are you doing out here alone?"

 

Wendy's head turned towards to the owner of the voice so quickly, she nearly broke her neck. 

 

The face whom she dreaded to see every second of her messed up life. 

 

"Sooyoung? What the are you doing here?"

 

Joy takes a seat, facing her and tucking her red hair behind her ear. 

 

"To see my beloved soulmate of course! I missed you!", Joy exclaimed gleefully causing Wendy to scowl. 

 

"I couldn't care less. Leave me alone.", Wendy replies nonchalantly, turning her head to face the sky missing the glimpse of hurt flashing across Joy's face. 

 

"Why are you always shooting me down so eagerly? Why can't you give me a chance?"

 

Wendy takes a look at Joy, her brown eyes spilling the anger and hurt she's been facing. 

 

"Are you ing with me, Joy? Why would I even consider of being with the daughter of the man who has put me through so much wrong? Why would I think of being with someone who looks like an exact carbon copy of her dad who makes my life a living hell?"

 

"I'm nothing like him! Don't compare me to him! I can make this right! I can love you the way you deserve to be loved, Wendy!", Joy rebuts, holding desperately to Wendy's arms. 

 

Wendy shuns her away like she was trash. 

 

"It's been two years, Wendy. I deserve a chance like everybody else.."

 

Wendy got up, before looking at Joy dead in the eyes. 

 

"Monsters like you don't deserve a chance."

 

Wendy ran as fast as she could, away from Joy, away from everything. Wendy ran and ran, letting her legs carry her to wherever they lead her to. She ran till her lungs were giving out, screaming for oxygen. She ran till she couldn't breathe any longer. 

 

Wendy found herself standing at the entrance of a cafe. She enters, grabbing an Iced Americano before taking a seat in the far end of the room. Her phone buzzes. 

 

From: my muse

 

hey babe, how you doing? my mom really misses you, she told me to bring you here the next time I come to visit. have you eaten? it's a little cold tonight, don't stay out too late and keep safe. i love you. i'll be back to indulge in your warmth in 3 days (:

 

Wendy couldn't contain the growing smile on her lips, her fingers busy typing away. She had missed Mrs Bae too. She was the sole reason behind the existence of Irene and Wendy couldn't thank her enough. Going against the social norm was a big step and the couple were very happy with how well Mrs Bae took their relationship. The old lady accepted it wholeheartedly and they were thankful. It means to have someone whom the two could trust and fall back on. 

 

To: my muse 

 

hi cutie, glad you are gone since it's been a while since i last met taeyeon. she's been feeding me well and she hugs me a lot so don't worry about me getting cold. btw, I think I broke your iron earlier this morning! send my regards to the mom in law. 

 

Wendy presses send. 

 

Not even a whole minute went by before she hears a buzz again. 

 

From: my muse

 

i'm coming home right now.