Chapter 7

I See You

SEONGWOO’S POV

 

I really had a great time with Daniel each day. Almost every day, he would visit me and checked on me. He never forgot to cook for me three times a day. It’s been almost four weeks since I became blind and because of Daniel my hopes on getting better were increasing. I’m not stressed and depressed as long as he’s with me. I wouldn’t imagine myself if Daniel would not be here.

 

Now, I’m here again alone in my house but I didn’t felt any sadness. I still won’t forget on what Daniel had made yesterday on Haneul Park. His lips on my cheeks was so soft and his kiss was so gentle. I don’t know if he has a ‘thing’ for me but I knew he’s doing it for me to get better. And yeah, isn’t it my fault for bringing him on a couple’s special place there which I completely forgotten that time. Am I too greedy to bring him there? Oh my God, I hope those actions of mine won’t give him some suspicious thoughts, and worse he did kiss me! Does he think that I like him because I brought him there?

 

I knew I’m blushing hard right now because of my silly thoughts but I can’t help it, okay. I’m not doubting Daniel if he love—I mean like me, he’s just a good friend that wants people happy, as he said when we were on Ferris Wheel last time. Actually, I was expecting something deeper but I knew it was impossible since I’m having a breaking reminiscence with Dongho.

 

I admit I had a little crush on Daniel, after he kissed me on my cheeks which leads me to overthink and made me up all night thinking about how soft his lips on my skin!

 

Even though I don’t have any idea what he looks like but his voice is enough for me to develop this kind of emotion that I felt to him right now especially when his Busan accent will came out due from talking too much and I find that cute. And also his attitude towards me, he has a great sense of humor, he’s such a gentleman, his touches that never failed to give me goosebumps and to mention his cooking! I really love his foods and it keeps getting delicious each day.

 

Despite his looks, I knew he would be a great husband in the future. Again, I felt hot by just thinking about him. Kang Daniel, what did you do to me!

 

Since Daniel had made so many great things for me, I decided to treat him on a Japanese shrine here. I asked Seungah-noona while she was here to book us a reservation on a Japanese shrine here. The shrine also had hot springs and spa there. I really wanted to be on hot spring these days especially it is autumn season and it’ll be winter soon.

 

I wanted to pay back the favor to Daniel for all the things he had done to me by bringing him there without using his money. I’m quite guilty because we always hang out around and I didn’t took out any cents on my wallet. But he still need to pay our fare though, well this blindness.

 

I delved my drawer to find the two ticket reservations that I requested from Seungah-noona. I made sure that it must be on the bottom segment of the drawer so that I won’t be mistakenly took any paper. I got the paper hoping that it is the actual ticket and I got out excitedly and fully prepared.


NO ONE’S POV

 

“Hyuuuuuuungggg~” Daniel sang happily as he entered Seongwoo’s balcony with food in his hands probably for their breakfast. “Let’s eat!” Daniel then served the food in front of Seongwoo.

 

Seongwoo, suddenly placed the tickets on the table and showed it to Daniel. The younger furrowed his eyebrows as he was confused what that was for.

 

“Uhmm, it was a ticket reservation on Fushimi Shrine. I… I wanted to invite you there. I mean, I want to give you a treat for…for all you’ve done to me,” Seongwoo blurted out surprisingly shyly and stuttering.

 

“B-but if you don’t want, i-its, okay,” he added as he didn’t hear any response from the younger. Seongwoo became a little sad and heave a sigh but little did he know that the younger froze and had his smile from ear to ear probably dying from the inside.

 

“No, no hyung! I would love to! I’m just surprised.” Daniel said as he saw Seongwoo frowned and sighed.

 

“Let’s get there after we eat,” he said, making the older smile.

 

After they eat, Daniel came back to his house to prepare for his things since they’ll be staying on the shrine overnight. Seongwoo did the same also and when Daniel came back, he greeted Seongwoo with his raspy tone laugh.

 

“What’s funny, Niel-ah?” Daniel looked at the bottom again and he can’t control his laugh. “Hahaha, you wore a different pair of shoes hyung,” Daniel said while Seongwoo sent glaring stares anywhere.

 

“Yah, that’s not funny,” he said and he just realized that his foot was lifted up and Daniel took off his shoe. “W-w-what are you doing, Daniel?” Seongwoo asked stuttering with a slight tint of redness on his cheeks.

 

He was shocked on a sudden actions of Daniel, he just admitted to himself that he had a crush on Daniel and whenever Daniel touches him without notice, he would be getting a heart attack.

 

“That’s better.” Daniel said as he finished changing Seongwoo’s shoes. “Let’s go?” Daniel took Seongwoo’s hand without notice. Seongwoo literally blushing really hard.

 

They reached the Fushimi Shrine at almost noontime. They welcomed by the receptionist girls on a Japanese dress. “Whoa, I didn’t knew that there’s some Japanese culture here in Korea,” Daniel was amazed as seeing the place and the receptionists. “Yeah, me too. This place was known as a shrine but it was actually a hot spring resort,” Seongwoo explained.

 

At the further back of the hot springs, there lies the shrine. There was an actual Japanese temple with the gate called torii. On the left side, there is a public bath, both onsen and foot bath.

 

"Hyung, do you know what we're doing?" Daniel asked.

 

"Ah, this? It is called 'ashiyu' where 'ashi' means foot and 'yu' means water. Even if we get into you know onsen, it is still good to soak just our feet and it's kind of relaxing also" Seongwoo explained.

 

"Do you know what 'ashiyu' actually mean?"Daniel retorted and made the older chuckle. "What?" he added.

 

"I see you!" he said in Korean. "I. See. You!" he repeated in English with a weird accent which made Seongwoo laughed. "You're weird, Daniel-ah."

 

"Look! Our feet were getting wrinkly, let's get out of the water." Daniel said. "Yeah, I saw it, 'ashiyu!'" Seongwoo sarcastically answered and Daniel only respond with a teasing tone, "Corny" he whispered to the older. "Yah!" the older shouted and they got out on the water.

 

After they went to the foot bath, visiting the temple is their next destination. “Notice me if we already arrive at the temple, ‘kay?” Seongwoo said. “Aye, hyung,” Daniel answered enthusiastically as they enter the torii gate of temple.

 

“Yah, Kang Daniel, we must walk on the edge of the pathway!” Seongwoo nagged as Daniel just entered hastily on the gates. The younger looked puzzled, “Huh? Why hyung? What was this pathway for anyway? Isn’t it for people to walk at?” he innocently asked.

 

“Aigoo, I should’ve been known… This path or the middle of the pathway is for the Gods. Whenever we enter the gates the Gods or the spirit of Gods are having procession on this path welcoming us wholeheartedly,” Daniel listened as Seongwoo explain.

 

“Whoa, what a myth they got there,” he shook his head and took Seongwoo’s hand to the edge of the pathway. “Let’s go then.”

 

While they are walking, Daniel noticed a small pavilion with a small water fountain in a large basin. “Omo, omo, hyung! What is that?” Daniel excitedly asked Seongwoo but he only saw Seongwoo having a poker face. “Mianhe, hyung, hehehe. Let me get you there,” Daniel felt embarrassed and he just immediately get Seongwoo in the pavilion.

 

“We’re here!” Seongwoo suddenly exclaimed which made Daniel looked confused. “Daniel-ah, this is chozuya, we must cleanse our mouth here using our left hand. It says that it symbolizes some sort of purification.” He explained to Daniel but he looked confused, still. “What are you doing? Help me here, put some water on the ladle and pass it to me please.” Seongwoo demanded on the younger, “and follow me.” Daniel responded and they cleanse their mouths on the chozuya.

 

After they finished there, they are now in front of the shrine. Daniel noticed a box and coins in front of them. “Hyung, what are those for? I mean the coins, the box and the bells?” the younger asked? He saw the older bowed his head, “Give me one coin please,” Daniel followed still confused on Seongwoo’s actions. Then he rang the bells 3 times and bowed his head again. He clapped his hands twice and closed his eyes on a second and finished with a bow.

 

Seongwoo deeply sighed and “Daniel-ah, do it also,” he just said making the younger surprised. “W-what did you do? Teach me first and explain to me, it’s unfair.” Daniel was acting throwing tantrums. Seongwoo pinched Daniel shushing him for being too noisy. “Aishh, I must’ve taught you first before I brought you here. Pabo, Daniel-ah.”

 

“What I did was for showing respect on the gods and notifying them that I visited them. Now, first you must bow your head slightly,” Daniel hesitantly bowed his head which made it more awkward.

 

“Then, get some coin and toss it onto the box gently,” Daniel looked confused, “What’s the significance hyung?” he asked.

 

“For Japanese, it means that it will grant your wishes. The higher amount of coin doesn’t mean that there is higher chances that it will come true. Even though you don’t have any wishes you must still do it. Some Japanese said that if you toss a 5-yen coin, the chances of finding your significant other will increase—“.

 

Daniel’s ear perked as he heard the information on Seongwoo and immediately rummaged the stack of coins beside him. Seongwoo heard something weird not sure if it is the coins or Daniel doing something weird.

 

“Yah, what are you doing?” he whispered angrily and spanked Daniel. “I’m looking for 5-yen coin hyung, I just wanted to find ‘the one’ soon. The coins here are almost all 1-yen coins!” Seongwoo hit the younger’s head.

 

“Pabo, show some respect! You jerk.” Daniel pouted but he successfully found a 5-yen coin. Seongwoo explained the rest of the ritual and Daniel finished it with Seongwoo’s nagging obviously. They find their way onto the field and sitting on the empty bench.

 

“Hyung, what did you wish by the way?” Daniel opened the topic.

 

“Nah, nothing particularly.” The older answered plainly.

 

“Are you not going to wish for your eyes to be cured?” Daniel asked. Seongwoo smiled as he answer the question.

 

“It’s hard to expect anyway. Let’s say when I wish for my eyes to be cured and it didn’t happen, what will you do?” Daniel stayed silent.

 

“You keep on asking yet you can’t answer me, idiot. It’s just hard for me to wish right now. I don’t want that my wish will just make me having false hopes.” Seongwoo answered with a sigh.

 

Daniel keep on being silent and a frown escaped on his lips. He felt guilty for asking the latter about that certain topic. With Daniel being silent, Seongwoo asked another question.

 

“Are you not going to ask why I am blind?” Seongwoo brightly asked removing the lonely ambiance around them.

 

“Well, I’m not that interested. Since you insisted, then why?” Daniel responded.

 

“The doctor said it was just a temporary blindness. He said that it was due to stress and overworking my body. Isn’t that unbelievable? I didn’t thought that stress will make people blind. This temporary blindness will last only or 2 to 4 weeks but if this will last for more than one month, then I’ll expect the worse.” Seongwoo paused a little.

 

“Now, it’s been already four weeks and still I’m blind.” Seongwoo left out a sad laugh and it didn’t escaped the radar of Daniel on noticing the sadness on the latter’s eyes.

 

“Like I said hyung, why not try to wish here? There’s nothing to lose anyway.” Daniel reprimanded.

 

“Like I said also, it’s hurt if my wish will not come true,” Seongwoo defensed back.

 

“Okay, okay, I understand. Just don’t be sad, the funny Kang Daniel will make you laugh,”

 

“Yah, do you think you’re that funny?” Seongwoo blocked the younger.

 

“Hmmm… Says by the one who were too bitter and grumpy when I first met him. Bet if I didn’t come into picture, you’ll stay bitter for the rest of your life.” Daniel said with a teasing tone answering back the older.

 

“Yah, Kang Daniel!” that’s what all Seongwoo have said making his face blushed and his ears getting redder and redder.

 

“You know what hyung, you really need to eat more cabbage,”

 

“Huh, why?”

 

“I’ve just read that cabbages make people happier than ever. You really look old when you’re sad, so better eat cabbages.” the younger explained.

 

“I just remembered, there’s a guy that I used to cook some cabbages before, the guy looks so weird especially his hair. He’s so in defeat that time.” Seongwoo shared.

 

“So I bet that guy became so happy, right?” Daniel guessed.

 

“I think so, that guy looks like glutton when I gave the food and he looks crazy. He’s not around in the neighborhood though. So I think he’s happy now,” Daniel choke on his water by hearing the word glutton.

 

“Yah, are you okay?” Seongwoo being sensitive.

 

“Of course, I’m just choked with the water, why you said glutton though” Daniel pouted.

 

“Hahaha, I forgot you’re such a pig also. But you’re cooking is great, so that’s equal.” Seongwoo calms Daniel in an instant.

 

Daniel notice something not so far on their current area where they are. He noticed that any people were gathering there. There was a lot of woodblocks that were hanging there and a small booths.

 

“Hyung, what are those woodblocks?” he asked Seongwoo. “Those wooden plaques or plates are called ‘ema’ that was for wishing, people wrote them there and hang them here so their wishes will be received by gods. Actually many people are visiting here because of that and the fortune telling papers,” he explained.

 

Daniel once again heard the term ‘wish’ so he didn’t bother to asked Seongwoo to go there.

 

“It’s almost dusk, don’t you think? It’s getting colder too. Can we go back now, Daniel-ah?”

 

“Okay hyung, but can you stay here for a while? I’ll just go in a comfort room.” Daniel asked a permission and Seongwoo just nodded.

 

Daniel did actually went to comfort room but he also went to the booths. He went there and purchase an ema, the wooden plaques. He is debating on what to write or to wish actually. He wanted to write about good health but it was so so common.

 

He wanted to wish for Seongwoo’s heart also, he blushed immediately as he thought about Seongwoo. “Wait, didn’t I wish for that earlier with the 5-yen coin?” he reminded himself.

 

“To be sure,” he already sure to write about that. He was giggling like a kid but later he was still hesitant. Then he changed his mind and wrote something else. He was smiling from ear to ear on what he wrote.

 

He also felt embarrassed and shy by just reading it and he hang his wooden plaque. He checked his watch and found out that he was almost half an hour there and Seongwoo was still waiting for him.

 

“Oh , mianhe hyung, gotta go…” he said to himself feeling contented. He immediately went to Seongwoo leaving his wish and the wooden plaque in there with his wish…

 

 

 

“Wishing to all the gods for Seongwoo hyung recovery soon. I’m wishing he can see how handsome Kang Daniel is…”
                                                     Kang Daniel, 11.16.201x

 


Author's note:

Actually, this chapter must be longer but I felt that it will be too long if I will finish it so I just ended this chapter just like that.

 

Again, thank you for subscribing and I hope that you enjoy this chapter. I'm sorry if you'll not like this chapter (I left for a month yet I gave you a plain and boring chapter, sorry for that.)

 

Sorry for being on hiatus for one month, I actually felt stressed right now because I failed to meet the cutoff grade on one of my major subjects. It gave me a lot of pain, yeah, because I only had one chance left to stay on my chosen course. I might not update again for a long time because I need to take the remedial exam and I need to study again. However, I'll update the second part of this chapter maybe on Monday or Tuesday next week. I'm sorry again...