Tenderness

Medium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I said," Ravi took a menacing step closer, his face set in a deep scowl. The gravel crunched under his feet and the scarlet of his irises reflected the dim light "Put him down." The two men snapped upright and turned to face him. Taekwoon's father released an audible gasp and glanced accusingly at his partner, his hands slackening and allowing Taekwoon to fall so his legs hit the ground with a loud thump, a small plume of dust rising from the dry mud around his feet. "The demon! What now?"

The other man, notably taller with greying skin and piercing blue eyes, pulled the corner of his thin, white lips back, revealing a set of sharp, crooked brown teeth. "Get rid of him. We're already late- we don't need any more distractions." Ravi's eyes narrowed as he looked the creature up an down, deciding how easy it would be to take him on if he had to. He stood stiff, trying to figure out what species he was. No demon looked like that. No angel either. He wore normal human clothes- a big, black coat- but his hair seemed to be pure white, tied in a long, sleek braid. 

Taekwoon's father stepped away and the creature bent down, grabbing both of the boy's wrists in one large, ashen hand and hauling him over his broad shoulder. 

"What the Hell are you doing?" Ravi growled, widening his stance as the old man came towards, him, face cold and impassive. "How could you do this to your own son?!"

But Taekwoon's father simply scoffed and shook his head. His eyes appeared to darken somewhat and his lips quirked upward "How did you find us, demon? I did not think you would follow."

Suddenly, he raised his fist and swung it forward. His knuckles slammed into Ravi's jaw and knocked the demon onto his back before he even had time to prepare himself for the blow. A deafening crack as heard on impact and Ravi grunted as he hit the floor, skidding backwards along the concrete. He reeled from the hit "What the..."

"Funny, I was expecting this meatsuit to be quite weak." Taekwoon's father chuckled as he got down beside him, grabbing his hair and yanking his head up. They made eye contact briefly before he was dropped once more, cheek smacking off the ground. "However, I suppose it is, as they say, never the weapon that's the problem, is it?" 

"Shapeshifter," Ravi muttered through gritted teeth as he spat out the blood that had collected in his mouth, offending his tastebuds with its irony flavour. He pushed himself up and wiped his nose with the back of his hand, twisting to face the man as the creature holding Taekwoon let out a shrill whistle "Stop playing with your food! I'm going to put the Medium in the van."  

Like Hell, you are. Ravi growled as he raised his hand, seizing the shifter in an invisible chokehold and lifting him off his feet before launching him across the street. His body flew through the air for a few, painful moments before crashing into one of the concrete buildings, falling in a heap in front of the other creature. His form flickered and began to wither, the long limbs and stocky torso beginning to melt and mould themselves into new, momentarily indistinguishable shapes.

Taekwoon's captor stopped, eyes blown wide as the demon got clumsily to his feet, stalking towards them. "Now, give me the kid, and maybe I'll consider killing you faster." 

The creature continued to stand, staring at his fallen partner; Ravi could practically see the gears turning in his head. The demon waited. He clenched his fists and raised his chin. 

Without warning, he tossed Taekwoon's limp form to the ground and pounced, drawing a long, silver blade from the back pocket of his trousers. Ravi leapt out of the way just in time to see it graze the air centimetres from his cheek and spun round, panting heavily. "What do you want with him, anyway?" He swung his fist in an attempt to land a blow but t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter