Fool

Medium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Do you ever get the feeling that you’re stood on the outside looking in on your own life? It feels as though you’re trapped in the middle of an audience in the dress circle of a large theatre, forced to watch as actors play out your life scene for scene. Of course, we want to be up there. We want to be standing in that spotlight, in control. It seems right, doesn’t it? 

Now, Taekwoon's theatre was a pretty small one. It wasn’t even full. Sometimes it seemed he was alone- an audience of one- and lost in the vast, red sea of empty seats. Watching his life on the stage with no control over the story.

But that was his internal world.

In the external world, there were no actors, no audience; no theatre to inhabit. It was the only world that mattered. The world in which his task seemed simple: go to school, get good grades, get a good job, and work until he died. Maybe there would be some possibility of meeting somebody somewhere down the line and maybe even having kids of his own. Although, he didn’t think he'd make a very good parent. But, nevertheless, society had this plan for him. 
It seemed a pretty good one. Afterall, just being alive was expensive these days but he couldn’t help but want to break these walls; if only he had the courage to do so. 

But he didn't. 
He never had.
And he never would. 
 

He sighed and shook his head hopelessly, staring at the small spots of mould growing on his bedroom ceiling "What do I do, Hakyeon?"

A long silence ensued. But it wasn't nearly as long as Taekwoon would have liked. 

"Mama thinks you're crazy, huh babe?"

Taekwoon scowled and rolled onto his side, facing the locked door "Piss off, Ravi." He was so glad demons couldn't walk through walls; if he was a ghost Taekwoon would have hung himself by now, he was sure. 

On the other side of the door- that oh so thin plank of wood that was keeping them separated- the demon tipped his head back and laughed, folding his arms across his broad chest "You don't make the orders around here, you know that right?" The boy scoffed indignantly and propped himself up on his elbows. But, before he could say anything in retort, the lock slowly turned and the door creaked open. He saw Ravi smirk and take a step towards him before, suddenly, he was flung back, hitting the wall in the hallway with a dull thud.

The demon cupped his cheek. His eyes were wide and his jaw dropped "What the..."

"Thank you, Hakyeon," Taekwoon snickered, sitting up and kicking his legs back and forth as they dangled over the edge of the mattress. Ravi straightened, eyes flashing red as he whipped around, trying to look for his attacker "What was that?"

The boy arched an eyebrow in response and waved his arms around "That," he said, "Is Hakyeon." 

The demon frowned and dropped his hand, looking at the room warily and taking a ginger step inside "I don't see anything," he gulped. He didn't like this; he was used to seeing everything- even some things he didn't want to. Taekwoon saw the confusion on his face and laughed pointedly. "He's a ghost," he explained.

This, for some reason, made Ravi roll his eyes "One of those losers that aren't good enough for either afterlife? Seriously?" A sudden jab was delivered to his stomach and he grunted, hunching over slightly from the force "Can you stop that?" He was rapidly losing his patience and flailed his fist around, attempting to hit back. 

"He doesn't like you," Taekwoon said simply, getting up from his bed and finally sauntering over. 

"No ," the demon hissed as he forced himself to unclench his fist and straighten up once more. Ghosts were known for being temperamental as Hell. That's why most of the undead, in whatever form, tended to avoid them. They had no initial loyalties and stayed a neutral side during times of war between Heaven and Hell, which created resentment on both sides. However, they did have a nasty, troubleso

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter