Tide

Medium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taekwoon struggled to part his dry lips as he stared at the demon, voice cracking at the back of his throat. Muffled, broken sounds. His hands fisted the blanket, squeezing and twisting the fabric in his lap. "Run away?" He whispered. His eyes darted nervously to the door. He could hear his mother downstairs; she was screeching something unintelligible down the phone, her heavy footsteps pacing up and down the hallway.

Ravi came forward and crouched down in front of the boy, gripping his chin between his thumb and forefinger and turning his head to face him. He ran his thumb over Taekwoon's damp cheek, slightly alarmed by how warm the pale skin had become. "It's your only choice," he told him firmly "I'm sure Hakyeon would agree with me- it's not safe for you here." 

He reached for his hand but the boy tore it away. "And I'm safe with you, am I?" The boy shook his head and looked around the room with wide, skittish eyes. His shoulders had risen and he had his jaw set. But Ravi wasn't going to allow his sudden anger to sway him. "Yes," he spat, his fingers enclosing themselves slowly around Taekwoon's collar "In case you've forgotten, it was me who just saved your ." He yanked the boy closer once more, so their faces were just barely inches apart.

"Let me go," Taekwoon hissed, grabbing his wrist tightly in an attempt to release himself. But Ravi simply brought him closer- dangerously close- so the boy was forced to close his eyes. "Listen, you little brat. If you want to stay here and cry and let your parents treat you like then be my guest. Or if you want to wait around for the next Underworld Dweller to come around, fine. But I'm offering you a chance here, kid." He shook him lightly.

Taekwoon released a small whimper and he felt something on his shoulder, urging him away. Hakyeon. 'Release him, now!'

The demon sighed and loosened his grip, feeling the pressure on him lessen almost immediately. He heard the boy choke as he turned around, running his fingers through his hair and tipping his head back. Now the ghost decided to speak up?

"Bastard," the boy breathed. He lowered his head and massaged the back of his neck. He shifted on the bed but made no effort to stand, instead choosing to sit and stare "What about my parents?"

"What about them?" Ravi scoffed. After what Taekwoon had told him in the car, he didn't want to think about them. They didn't deserve to be called parents after what they'd done- humans had such little regard for other creatures... So damn selfish. Ignorant, selfish animals. "You seriously think they give a damn? Locking you up?" 

"Stop it."

"The meds?"

"Shut up."

"Sounds to me like they'd be glad to be rid of you."

"I said, shut it!" Taekwoon growled. He threw off the duvet and leapt to his feet, fists shaking by his sides. His face contorted in all-consuming anger; his nostrils flaring, his narrow, dark eyes flashing and closing into slits. They could both sense Hakyeon panicking between them but paid no mind to the ghost, instead choosing to continue their altercation. "You don't know them, okay? I told you: they're desperate!" 

Ravi let out an exasperated laugh and shook his head "Denial! You're in such ing denial! Why are you sticking up for them, huh?" He watched the boy stumble back a few paces, his legs hitting the desk by the window. His scowl had faded now, replaced with something else the demon couldn't identify- conflict, maybe. 

Taekwoon opened his mouth to retort when his head snapped to the side. They stood in silence for a few moments before he began to nod slowly. "I know but my dad... She can't lose us both; not in one night." He could still hear her on the phone downstairs. She wasn't screaming anymore but she was still panicking. He had been attempting to pick out random words in her hot, fast speech; 'police', 'husband', 'son', 'injured', 'dead'... 'Murder.' Oh, God. 

He felt himself choke on the lump forming in the back of his throat before looking back at Ravi. "I have one condition," he muttered.

The demon tipped his head, raising his chin "What's that?"

Taekwoon closed his eyes and took a deep breath, steeling himself. He looked back at where he thought Hakyeon was standing, hoping to find a lit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter