One

Finding You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Flashback~

 

Eunjung's pov

 

I was walking on the side road while swinging my bag happily,  enjoying the good weather. I was on my way home from my part time job.  My senior year which was my last year in high school will start in another 2 weeks. So I still got a week to do my part time job at the small cafe shop in town. Another week break before school start was to rest and focus on school preparation. My school was just nearby here. I could reach school for around 15 minutes by walking.  I was living in a small town, but rather peaceful and I loved it here. 

 

After reached my home,  I pushed the key to unlocked the door. Looked like my dad still hasn't reach home yet. I went inside,  locked the door back and went straight to my room.  I put aside my things,  took my towel and heading to bathroom to take a bath. After bath,  I was rinsed my hair,  I heard my dad's voice talking to someone. "For how long? How long do I need to wait? I cannot wait that long. I didn't know until when.." I heard my dad said. He sighed loudly,  and continued,  "Okay,  call me back as soon as possible".  I opened the my room door slowly and peeking dad who sat on the sofa who just ended a phone call.  He sat on the sofa while putting the hand on his face,  sighed again. 

 

I walked carefully to him, he was closing his eyes so he didn't noticed me. I studied his tired and pale face,  since when he looked like aged old man.  He seemed so tired that his face looked older. Dad wasn't that old. He was just in his mid-fourty. I started to became worry. Dad did has habit to neglect his health sometimes. I touched his forehead softly,  he opened his eyes and with shocked expression said,  "Eunjung! Didn't know you were home." he smiled to me eagerly,  but I can see that he was just forcing it.  

 

"Dad,  you're not feeling well? You don't look good.  I asked with worry in my face. "What? What are you talking about.  I look good as always"  he said playfully.  I scoffed, yeah sure.  Truthfully you always do dad. "How's your job?," he asked me.  I took a sit at the other sofa. We were chatting happily for few minutes when dad excused himself to go to his room to take shower. "Oh let's go out for dinner! No need to cook today!"  dad shouted to me from his room.  I made my way to my room while shouting back that I will get ready. 

 

We were in the car on the way to dine,  just me and dad.  Yeah it was always like that.  I only have my dad and my dad only has me.  Dad was an only child,  and his mother or my grandmother passed away in three years ago. While his father or my grandfather passed away long time ago.  We don't have big family you see.  We only have each other as family.  Well,  not entirely true.  I always knew that. But,  I didn't have courage to ask.  Not again. Not that I never asked. I did.

 

Last time I asked was years ago,  when I was 12, during my birthday,  I asked dad, again. But,  as dad was too angry because he reminded me many times before I should not ask about that and it shall never be brought up. Dad seemed like having an anger issue when I asked about mother.  But I was too curious,  so I asked about my mother again, when I was 12. Dad became angry and didn't  spoke to me for few days. My late grandmother was the one who comforted me.  I cried a lot.  But later,  dad apologised for being unfair to me and comforted me. He made an effort to made it up to me.  Since then, I promised myself I will never ask about mother anymore. 

 

We were having dinner happily in a nice cozy diner. We chatted happily and enjoying our food.  Dad was telling me funny story of Uncle Jay when young,  his best friend. That uncle Jay! He was always funny! 

 

After we finished our dinner,  dad say he wanted to tell me something.  He became serious suddenly.  I became anxious. I kept on asking to please tell me now. He hesitated a bit while trying to find a way on how to tell me.  I didn't like this.  I became anxious. Suddenly his phone rang. He answered the phone, suddenly said that he need to be faster because he needed to meet uncle Jay for urgent matter. He promised will continue our conversation later but he need to go meeting Uncle Jay first so he will drop me at home first.  He paid the bill and we went out to get back to car hurriedly. 

 

He unlocked the car door, and lean on the door suddenly.  I got inside on the other side.  "Dad!  Are you okay? Dad what's wrong? Dad! " I asked worriedly. He made a sound just as a sign to let me know he heard him.  But suddenly before he managed to get inside in the driver seat,  he collapsed. 

 

I shouted.  I ran to him and shaking him asked him to wake up.  There was a couple nearby who noticed our situation.  They came and try to checked on my dad. I was on the verged of crying. "He is unconscious.  He need to be taken to hospital" the couple said.  Without wasting time,  the couple helped me to carry my father inside the car. I took over the driver seat,  while thanking the couple shortly,  I sped off to hospital. 

 

We were in the hospital,  I was waiting for my dad who get the treatment.  I kept on walking while turned around nervously.  Damn what taking so long! Dad's phone rang,  I checked the caller id,  'Jay'.  I picked up fastly when I noticed who was on the line. "Uncle Jay! It's me Eunjung.  We are at the hospital.  Dad  collapsed!" I said sadly. I ended the call when Uncle Jay said he is on the way here. 

 

Almost half an hour later,  the doctor said to me and uncle Jay that dad was fine now, his body reacted but he was still unconscious and the doctor will do more tests. We thanked the the doctor befor the doctor walked away.  "I have something to say.  I know it was not my place to say this.  But I think it's better for you to know." he said seriously and hesitated a bit. I urged him to say it. They were hiding something from me and I didn't like it.

 

He exhaled longly, "okay please don't let him know that I told you this.  He didn't want me to tell you. Atleast not yet.  But I think you deserved to know. Just don't do anything stupid okay." I nodded to him. "Come on, let's get something hot to drink", Uncle Jay said walking away ushered me to follow him. I followed him to coffee machine.

 

We sat outside, taking sip our hot drink. I waited patiently for him to start. "You know I think of you as my own daughter. I've been friend with your father since we went to same college, I watched him getting married and watched you grown up",he said while continue sipping his drink. "Your father, he has weak heart. He is not well, Eunjung". I felt my heart shattered when I heard that. I knew there was something wrong with dad but he kept it from me. So that was what he was trying to tell me today before he collapsed. There was no words come out from me. He stared at me with an understanding look while patting my shoulder. I wanted to cry but I was trying to hold first because I want to hear more. I know there was more to this. I nodded weakly as respond.

 

"Do you know about your mother?" he asked me. I was taken aback, "Yeah..no.. not really.." I replied a bit surprised that he asked about her. "I only know that she exists. I don't know her p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter