the love letter

Hey Honey! (Yah! Jagiya!)

“Somi” a sweet voice calling the name of the girl wearing P.E. attire when in fact it’s not yet time for P.E. class. “can you help me at something? My dear best friend Somi”

This is Sohye, her bestfriend ever since middle school. Well, actually at first Somi was annoyed by her presence but eventually she was used by this girl’s sweet acts. Somi is not the type of girl that wears girly things, she’s not a lesbian she’s just boyish. She hates it when other girls talk about other girl’s business. But at least her friend Sohye is not like those other girls. All she knows about her bestfriend is that she’s sweet, innocent and sometimes freak.

“what is it, my dear best friend Sohye?” Somi asked with a sweet tone like Sohye.

“Can you give my love letter to Mingyu-sunbaenim?” Sohye smiled widely and act cute towards Somi. Somi darted her eyes to Sohye telling that ‘You have two hands the left and the right then why won’t you give it to him personally?’

“Somi” her friend, Sohye blushed at the thought of giving it to Mingyu by herself. “I like Mingyu-sunbaenim a lot and you know it, right? I’m afraid that I might act stupidly infront of him.” Sohye took a deep breath and looked at Somi to the point that Somi couldn’t disagree to her bestfriend’s request.

Somi took a long deep sigh then she said, “okay” and smiled at her friend. Somi thinks that there’s nothing wrong if she’d just hand the letter to Mingyu and leave. Just simply hand him the letter, it’s just a simple task to help her friend.

After the last period, Sohye accompanied Somi to the classroom where Mingyu was in. Sohye took a glimpse of Mingyu from the window of that classroom.

Mingyu was arranging his books and notebooks with two boys chatting with him. He’s getting ready to leave to go to his part-time job at the Prince Café with his bestfriends Wonwoo and Soonyoung.

“Somi, get in” Sohye pushed Somi to enter the door of that classroom. Somi was alarmed by that sudden push of Sohye. She looked at her best friend hiding outside that classroom then Sohye nodded and smiled.

Somi took a deep breath and walked towards Mingyu.

“ehem” Somi cleared . This caused Wonwoo and Soonyoung to look at her. Somi signaled them to get out of the classroom. Wonwoo and Soonyoung grinned as they left because they know it’s the hundredth love letter to be rejected by Mingyu.

“EHEM” Somi cleared her thoat again but Mingyu ignored her and continued arranging his things. “EHEM” Somi cleared for the third time, now it is louder than the second one. This caught Mingyu’s attention.

“You have a cough”Mingyu respond and looked at Somi.

“it’s not your concern” Somi rolled her eyes.

“then why are you here?” Mingyu asked glancing at the paper that Somi was holding. He thinks it might be a request letter from a club to build a booth for the upcoming intramurals at school. “oh…that just leave it at the Council room. Okay? I’m going” Mingyu rushed to leave because he knows he would be late for his part-time job.

“YAH! KIM MINGYU!” Somi shouted loud enough to make Mingyu stop and turn around. Somi walk towards Mingyu. Mingyu was surprised with Somi’s action. Somi slammed Sohye’s love letter at Mingyu’s chest. This caused Mingyu to cough because of the pain caused by Somi. “read it! It’s a love letter from my friend, Sohye. If you don’t read it, you are dead.” Then Somi left Mingyu amazed while holding Sohye’s letter on his chest.

 

 

<…>

 

 

Two days after giving the love letter, Sohye did not receive any response from Mingyu. She was worried so she approached her best friend Somi sitting on her chair playing her new PSP while waiting for the next period.

“Somi” Sohye gave Somi a sad and worried look. Somi knows that her bestfriend is sad because of her tone of voice. She paused the game and glanced at her friend. “I still didn’t receive any response from Mingyu-sunbaenim”

“Sohye, do you want some friendly advice?” Somi asked calmly. She wanted to shake her best friend to come back to her senses. The love stories from movies and books that she watched and read are far from reality. It is not all the time that when you like someone, they would also like you back. Movies and books are just too good to be true.

“nope, because I already know what will you say to me. And I know when it comes to giving advices you are the harshest and frankest among all the people I know.” Sohye gave her a weak smile and was about to cry. Somi knew that her bestfriend really loves that Mingyu. So she stood up and placed her PSP on her bag.

“I going to get his reply on your love letter” she holds the shoulder of her best friend to cheer her up.

 

 

<…>

 

 

There was no teacher in section 4-A, because they teacher was in sick-leave, when Somi entered. She just entered like she doesn’t care if all of the students in that section would look at her. She approached Mingyu, who is busy scribbling his study notes.

“Yah! Kim Mingyu!” with a low but strong voice Somi called the attention of Mingyu. Mingyu glanced up and saw Somi’s angry face. “Come with me or you’ll die” she said to Mingyu. Somi didn’t mind if Mingyu was older than her.

Mingyu left his notebook on his desk and left with Somi. Somi stopped walking when they reached the stairs. Nobody was around because it was still class hours. Mingyu knew that they would be punished if a teacher would see them talking outside the class during class hours so he grabbed Somi’s wrist then brought her to the Student Council room.

When they reached the Student council’s room Mingyu closed the door so they won’t be caught.

“What is it?” Mingyu asked Somi with a serious tone.

“Did you read the letter that I gave to you?” Somi asked raising her left eyebrow. Mingyu nodded.

“Your reply?” Somi asked.

“reply?”

“Yes, reply. Where’s your reply to that letter?” Somi demanded.

“Oh… do I have to reply to that letter?” Mingyu asked cluelessly. Somi was dumbfounded looking at Mingyu’s stupid face. Is this person really smart? He seems to be stupid, she thought. “Uhhhm… My reply is…” Mingyu replied straight and simple, “I am very sorry. I don’t like you”

Honestly, Somi wanted to punch Mingyu on behalf of her friend. “Are you human?” Somi asked out-of-nowhere.

“biologically, anatomically, and scientifically…yes” Mingyu nodded.

“Emotionally, you are not. Can you please be gentle when you wanted to reject someone’s affection for you?” Somi said to Mingyu. Before Somi left Mingyu called her attention, “being too nice to someone you don’t have feelings for might make them hope for nothing and end up hopeless. It’s better to end it simple, frank, and harsh so that feelings won’t linger anymore.” Then Somi left Mingyu alone in that empty room.

 

 

 

<…..>

 

 

 

being too nice to someone you don’t have feelings for might make them hope for nothing and end up hopeless. It’s better to end it simple, frank, and harsh so that feelings won’t linger anymore

Those words from Mingyu made Somi think that he has a point. She knows that scars might hurt at the beginning then her friend will be okay someday.

Somi entered the classroom quietly while their teacher was busy scribbling their lesson at the board to serve as notes for her students. Luckily, she was not caught. Sohye, sitting right next to her, handed a small piece of paper with the words “What did he say?” Sohye gave Somi a big smile. Somi scribbled the words “I’ll tell you later after class” and passed it to Sohye.

She doesn’t want to see her bestfriend cry loudly infront of the class because it will embarrass her more. She’s not the type of student who would listen to class discussion so she placed her earphones on her ears and played her favorite song then she fell asleep. After class when only Sohye and Somi was left in the room, Sohye woke her up. Somi removed her earphones and wiped her drool then looked at her bestfriend.

“So what was his reply to my letter? Did he write something in return?” Sohye was excited because she was expecting that she could get a reply from him.

“uhhm” Somi was thinking on what to reply. Simple but harsh. “He says sorry because he doesn’t like you” she looked sorry for her bestfriend. “It is not all the time that when you like someone, they would also like you back.” She followed up.

Sohye cried hard because she was rejected by her first love and Somi looked at her bestfriend crying because she loved a man who don’t love him back.

Loving someone alone wouldn’t make the other party love you back. Most of the first loves are one-sided and painful. A person must be very lucky if his/her first love would reciprocate the feelings he/she invested. But sometimes in reality, we would not end up with our first love.