The Taste of Butterbeer

The Thoughts and Ramblings of a Gryffindor

It was extremely cold during the holidays, the freezing air hurts one's nose, the black lake frozen and the once grassy field turned into a blanket of snow. During these times most of the students go back home to their respective families, but for Seungcheol, he stayed in Hogwarts to prepare for the new term coming in. He didn't mind though, he loved organizing and preparing, he found it to be of help to him especially when he has a hectic schedule going on.

 

The constraints of the school, although wide and spacious as can be felt like it was too stuffy for him. During the holidays, Seungcheol made sure to keep the pace as calm as it goes, he didn't want to pressure himself at all and he didn't want to be stressed during break. He wanted to kick back a bit, maybe gather his thoughts and that's how he found himself in the Three Broomsticks, sitting by the fireplace with a mug of butterbeer.

 

It wasn't a surprise that he was not the only student there. He could see familiar faces in the pub. There was a group of Ravenclaws in the other side of the room, next were some Hufflepuffs by the foggy window and just by the bar stools there was a fellow Gryffindor. He was too busy looking around when he barely caught a glimpse of a certain Slytherin making himself comfortable beside him. 

 

"Lonely and cold, are we?" The teasing tone made Seungcheol flustered for a moment. He never thought Minghao would be here.

 

"What do you want?" Seungcheol asked, hiding a bit of embarrassment as he took a sip of his butterbeer. He could see Minghao wearing a black turtle neck, a beige coat draped over his shoulders. He looked so chic.

 

"A chair." Minghao chuckled.

 

"Well, you made yourself comfortable already.. so.." Seungcheol tried his best to not make any eye contact. He knew that if he did, he will be a bumbling mess in front of the Slytherin and the last thing he wanted was to lose face in front of the person he likes.

 

"Not going home this holiday?" 

 

"Headboy duties..."

 

"As expected of you."

 

"What about you?"

 

"China is a long way from here." Minghao rested his elbows on the wooden table, "I can't be bothered."

 

"But I'm sure your parents misses you." Somehow, Seungcheol's nerves calmed down, he was able to talk naturally again.

 

Minghao looked at Seungcheol for a moment, a small smile creept to his face. Seungcheol was definitely an interesting guy, he thought. Weird at times, but Minghao could see that he was a genuine and fun loving guy.

 

"They'll be arriving some time this week." Minghao laughed, "They wanted to visit me anyway."

 

"Ah!" Seungcheol straightened his back, "That's good."

 

But after that, somehow the crackling of the firewood was the only thing Seungcheol could hear. His wide eyes slowly looked at Minghao's slim fingers, next was his lips and next, well, he was in a complete daze as he finally made eye contact with the Slytherin beside him. There was something about Minghao's eyes that enthralled him, that made his heart go heavy and light alternately and the way it stares back at him? Seungcheol could only be thankful that he was still breathing. 

 

"Want to meet them?" Minghao asked nonchalantly.

 

Seungcheol, who was fairly distracted by the Slytherin's eyes snapped out from his daze and immediately jumped out of his chair. "W-What?!"

 

"I said, do you want to meet them?" Minghao asked once more, this time a small chuckle emitted from his lips.

 

"Wh-Why? It's not like we're close and well, don't get me wrong, I would love to meet your parents and all but we-"

 

"Aren't we friends now?" Minghao, who was enjoying the sight of a frazzled Gryffindor leaned on the table. 

 

"If you call bickering friendship then I guess we are the best of friends." Seungcheol scoffed.

 

"Then that's settles it." Minghao, who looked like a sly fox clapped his hands. 

 

"W-What?!" Seungcheol, once again held a surprise look on his face. "Do you even understand sarcasm?!"

 

"Of course, i do." The Slytherin winked, "But it's just so fun seeing you panic."

 

Seungcheol swears that the man beside him made his blood boil and his heart pound and he didn't know which side to pick. 

 

"Yah." Seungcheol slowly sat back to his chair, taking a sip of his butterbeer before pointing at the conniving Slytherin, "Pull that one again and you don't wanna know what I'm going to do to you."

 

Despite the threat, Minghao gave another laugh. The Gryffindor looked so cute when he was fuming in rage. Minghao held eye contact, looking at those wide eyes and long lashes, he extended out his finger and swiped the foam from Seungcheol's upper lip. And just like that, Minghao the butterbeer foam from his finger and the look on Seungcheol's face was priceless. His skin was paler than the snow, his usually plumped lips immediately dried up and his big eyes were shot so wide. 

 

Seungcheol couldn't believe what Minghao did. Somewhere in the Gryffindor's mind, he was panicking and hollering but most of all he was screaming like a llama inside his head. No way he was going to faint in front of everyone, no way was he going to hide from the Slytherin like a flustered idiot. He was going to stay frozen in hopes that Minghao would just leave him be. He can't contain his heart, his palms sweated like he was in the desert, his heart rate has gone up and all the blood that he had possibly drained away from his body. 

 

"Please sunbae." Minghao smirked, "What are you going to do to me?" The Slytherin played the teasing game well, but Seungcheol, didn't want to lose.

 

Being the headboy, he was supposed to be an individual with strength and willpower. Seungcheol, being the natural leader that he is, tried to recompose himself. Slowly his face loosened up from its stiff state and slowly he gained a little bit of confidence. Seungcheol leaned on the table, as close as he can till his field of vision could clearly see Minghao's lashes. His naturally pouty lips formed a smirk before whispering, "Punishment."

 

And just like a champ, Seungcheol with all his sheer will tear himself apart from the Slytherin, stood up from his chair as he added, "I'll be looking forward in meeting your parents." Minghao could only gawk at the surprising situation he was put in, he watched as the Gryffindor made his way out of the Three Broomsticks. It took a while before Minghao could even produce a small chuckle form his throat. 

 


 

 

As the term was starting, Minghao who was with his friends in the Great Hall having lunch received a parcel from an awfully familiar Owl. He opened the parcel reluctantly as it says, "10 points have been deducted from your house. An anonymous student reported your actions (spiking the pumpkin juice) and were proven true."  Minghao knotted his brows together as he continued to look at the parcel. He also received a grey scarf and the note, "Your parents bought that for you before they left, they asked me to give it to you. Your welcome."

 

Choi Seungcheol, delivered the Slytherin's well earned punishment. Minghao crumpled the paper and laughed with annoyance.