Chapter 17

Cats Are Pillars

After a few minutes, when they are all seated comfortably and starting to eat the snacks, Yongsun finds herself observing the other. Seulgi seems to be a good person. She smiles a lot and, even if she sometimes gives the feeling of being self-centered and unwanting to discuss, she takes part in every conversation and has a many things to say, even without being a part of the circle. As she first saw her, Yongsun was afraid that they would not get along. Baekhyun is very smiling as well. He looks a bit tired, but it must be his day, because he does not complain at all and makes a lot of jokes. Chanyeol himself is cheerful and social, so it is no surprise that his friends are. A point of envy finds its way into Yongsun's heart as she realizes that she is not half as happy as the others are. Lost in her thoughts, the accountant does not realize that Seulgi has approaches her.

"Is everything alright?"

"Yes I... I tend to space out a lot, these days."

Yongsun keeps her eyes on her plastic cup, thinking about the reasons that make her so unhappy when she should just enjoy the evening and think of something else than her problems. It would be great, if she could forget everything about Jongdae leaving the company or about her nasty neighbour.

"Do you want to go out for a while?"

"No I'm... I'm just a bit tired."

She offers a smile to the Seulgi, who smiles back and pats her shoulder before getting up, pointing at her cup.

"Do you want to drink something?"

"Oh? Yes, please. If you don't mind."

The student winks and goes away with both cups.

 

A few moments later, Moonbyul comes up with the idea of a great karaoke.

"You never liked singing..." The accountant tells her friend with a smile, just before hearing her giggle.

"That's true, but Hyejin likes it a lot."

The next minute, everything is set up and the first notes of a song echo in the room, with voices singing and shouting everywhere.

Chanyeol is teasing Baekhyun into singing, and the latter does not stop repeating how bad he is. Yet, once he takes the mic, it becomes clear to everyone that he must have hearing problems. Hyejin is the next to sing, accompanied by Moonbyul, whose rapping skills seems as impressive as her paintings. A smile spreads onto Yongsun's lips as she encourages Seulgi to have a try.

"I'm sure you'd be divine."

"Only if you sing with me." The other replies with a proud smile.

"Deal!"

The song is not the best they could have chosen, but Seulgi reveals to be a born singer. It leaves Yongsun speechless even if she knows that her own voice is not the worse voice in the world. Then, it is the turn of Hyejin and Moonbyul again, and  , finally, Baekhyun and Chanyeol.

Solar turns to Moonbyul, who is sitting right between Hyejin and her.

"Why didn't you invite Minseok?"

"Ah... Chanyeol and him are not... Well. They don't get along too well, actually."

"Really? What happened?"

"He never told me."

Yongsun's gaze falls on Chanyeol, who is singing with all his heart. Why would a person like Chanyeol be unable to bear a person like Minseok ? Both of them seem to be the kind of person you want to hang out with.

 

It is almost 23p.m. when Yongsun decides it is time for her to go home. She feels unstable on her feet and she is not sure they will bring her home safely, but it is useless to tell her friend about this. It would not be the first time that she has decided to go home after having a drink or two! Yet, Byul gives her a look of strong disapproval.

"Oh no, you're not going home alone."

"But..."

"Chanyeol? Could you please?"

"Bring her home? Of course." 

Yongsun looks at her old friend as if he was the greatest traitor in the world. Then, she realizes that it could be an occasion to talk to him about the questions that have popped in her mind because of Moonbyul.

She picks up her jacket and leaves after saying goodbye and thanking her best friend for the invitation.

 

Walking down the street, she tries to find enough courage to ask Chanyeol the question that is on her mind. Minseok is such a darling that she has trouble believing he might be a bad person. No, she does not want to believe it.

She is not the first to speak.

"Moonbyul told me that you are dating Minseok." Chanyeol says matter-of-factly.

Solar's mouth opens and closes, like that of a fish, and she needs a few seconds to reply.

"And she told me you two didn't get along..."

She does not want to look too harsh, but she realizes that her tone is doubtful and that she is not ready to hear anything bad about Minseok. She regrets saying something like that.

"No, we don't."

"Why?"

"He's not..." He sighs and shakes his head. "Not exactly the kind of person I thought he was."

"But Chanyeol, Minseok is..."

"I know Minseok, Yongsun. I've known him for years."

"And I'm her colleague and..."

"And you've always had trouble judging people."

Yongsun's blood boils at Chanyeol's words, but she has nothing to answer, so she keeps looking at him, shooting daggers.

"You're wrong." She says, pinching her lips, arms crossed in front of her chest. "I'm a good judge when it comes to people..."

"Okay so, what can you tell me about the people you met today?"

What is he trying to accomplish? Yongsun looks at her friend, confused.

"I... I think that Baekhyun is very kind and that he might be..."

"In a relationship with Seulgi for almost four years."

"Yes, of course, this is what I was going to say."

She realizes how wrong she was about to be. Her lips only form a line at the bottom of her face and she keeps walking. After a few seconds, Chanyeol is the first to break the silence.

"I don't want to tell you what to do, Yongsun, but you should be careful about Minseok. He is not as nice as he may seems."

But Yongsun refuses to say a single world for the rest of the walk. It is better not to, anyway. She will see Minseok tomorrow and everything will be fine again.