Chapter 13

Cats Are Pillars

Yongsun feels her heart beating so fast that she cannot help wondering how long it would take her to suffer from a heart attack. She desperately tries to convince herself that the pounding is not related to her conversation with Minseok. She wants to believe it, at the bottom of her heart. Yet, she knows that she is not herself when she is in front of her colleague. He is the stereotypical Prince Charming. And she must be the princess. Of course, she is. The cat princess, with so many cats she cannot keep a man more than a few weeks.

Seated in her couch, she eyes the room, wondering whether the animals are conscious of the mess their mother’s life is becoming.

She has been betrayed by her best friend, and it all seems so wrong that she wonders whether she should tell Byul about it or not. Jongdae talking to Wheein, what kind of nonsense is this?”

Mr. Stache keeps looking at her, a grumpy look on this face, waving his tail from side to side. “I’m the one who should be angry. Have you seen what you did to Cherry?” Yongsun says, pointing a finger at the door of the living room.

At that moment, the tune of her phone catches her attention and she looks at the screen, on which Minseok’s name now appears. A smile spreads across her lips as she grabs it and decides to be able to read the message under the notification. The day and time.

“He was serious about it…”

She looks up at the cat, placing the screen in front of his muzzle. “Look at this!”

The cat looks away and jumps off the bed, as if he does not care about what his owner is saying, and Yongsun sighs softly. “Of course, you’ll never understand…”

She rolls her eyes and stands up, leaving the room to turn the TV on. Nothing seems to be good enough for her, and she finds herself listening to her neighbour, wondering whether Jongdae is still there. Are they dating? How could they be dating without her knowing it? Wheein would never have kept silent about it and she would have known it right away. Yongsun’s brow furrows at the thought of ignoring something as important as his best friend dating her nemesis. No, it is impossible.

Hearing nothing more than Light’s purring, she leaves the couch and approaches the wall, laying an ear against the cold surface. Nothing. They must have left.

She goes back to the couch and thinks about work. She wonders what it is going to be like at the office. She thinks about Jongdae not talking to her because he has a grumpy and annoying girlfriend. She thinks about Minseok and his sudden dinner proposal. And that last thought makes her happy.

Realizing that she has no outfit idea for the D-day, she decides to go out for shopping. She will have no time to do so during the week and going with one of her old dresses is out of the question. She not this kind of person.

As she is queuing in front of the changing room, Yongsun notices a familiar face in the crowd. She waves at her instinctively. “Hyejin!” She smiles widely, noticing how uncomfortable her friend suddenly looks.

“Yongsun?” He friend smiles looks around as though she had expected something to happen at that very moment. “I didn’t expect you here!” She laughs softly.

“I was looking for a new dress.” She says, noticing how evasive Hyejin is, looking. “Is something wrong?”

Her friend looks at her and shakes her head, a new smile forming on her lips. “No, everything’s fine.” She points a finger to a shelf. “You should try the red one, up there.”

Yongsun’s eyes brighten as she sees the dress her friend has been pointing to. It is exactly what she was looking for. How can she have missed it? She approaches the shelf after thanking her friend. “We see each other very soon!” A smile spreads on her lips as she takes the dress and goes back to the queue.

As she goes out, later in the afternoon, she cannot help to stop in front of Wheein’s door. Is Jongdae…

“Kim?” She turns to look at Wheein, whose voice and angry tone is so familial she always recognizes it at once.

But instead of replying, Yongsun goes inside her apartment, feeling her heart fall to her stomach. Wheein has always been the most despicable person on Earth. She has never liked her. And as far as her memory goes, she has never been polite with her. Is it a way to behave?

She spends her time lying on her bed, looking at the screen of her phone, talking with Minseok, who seems to have trouble sleeping as well, before falling asleep in the middle of the conversation.