Chapter 16

Cats Are Pillars

Arriving home, Yongsun leaves her bag on the top of a chair, merely looking at the cats who are now purring all around her. Light and Shadow start circling around her, looking as though they want to play with her. Unfortunately for the poor animals, their mother is not in the mood for having fun. She sits at the table and looks at Mop, which has jumps on the table and is now walking towards her. The cat bumps his forehead against Yongsun’s, whose smile appears thanks to the small gesture.

“Do I look that sad?”

The cat sits and looks at his owner. For a moment, the accountant could believe her cat is about to talk to her, like in one of those strange animation movies in which animals can talk and act as human. But she knows it is impossible. It is always the same unbearable silence that only gets broken when the animals start to purr. And, of course, Yongsun cannot understand purrs. When Mop finally leaps off of the table to land on the floor without a noise, his owner stands up and goes to the kitchen to make dinner.

She should be happy. She has been invited for dinner by the most handsome man in Seoul. Is that not great? She knows it is, and she knows she should consider herself lucky to get that chance, but she cannot help thinking about Jongdae. She does not even dare to call Moonbyul to talk about the situation. She can handle it by herself and she does not need any help. It is only a matter of time.

Lying on the couch, she watches another movie. A horror movie, but it is not scary enough for her likings and she switches the turns the TV off very soon, laying her head against the arm of the couch. It is the first time in a while that she really feels bored.

At least ten minutes are gone when Yongsun’s phone starts ringing. Hyejin’s name is on the screen. Calling at such an hour is so not like her… She picks up and sits up straight.

“Hyejin?” She asks.

“Solar?”

She blinks upon recognizing Moonbyul’s voice.

“Byul? Why are you calling with…”

“My phone died. We’re having a party at my place tonight, do you want to come?”

“Byul, it’s already 20pm and I’m going to work tomorrow.”

“You mean it’s only 20pm! Hurry before all the food is gone!”

Byul hangs up in no time, leaving Yongsun wondering whether it is better to stay home and look at the wall or to go and see her best friend. But why was she calling with Hyejin’s phone? She did not even know that they knew each other. In what kind of bubble has she been stuck for the past few years?

She looks at Moody. The cat is lying at the other end of the couch and watches her as if she had been threatening his territory. “What do you think, Moody?” The cat sneezes, the owner laughs. “I did not know you could talk that well.” She says before standing up and going to her room, dressing up before heading for Moonbyul’s place.

“I’m glad you came!” Her friend says as she arrives. “How was your day?”

“It was good.” She says with a soft smile. The weight of Moonbyul’s gaze motivates her to go on with another question. “Why did you call with Hyejin’s phone?”

“Ah, Hyejin’s in the kitchen, she’s preparing snacks!”

Yongsun knits her brow as she goes into the room and discovers a series of bowls and plates on the table.

“Woaw, how many people are coming tonight?” She asks with a soft laughter, looking at all that food. More than three people would eat.

“Let me think… I invited you, Hyejin… Ah, I also invited Chanyeol, do you remember him?”

Yongsun’s eyebrows furrow as she hears the name of another old childhood friends.

“You still talk to him?”

“Of course, I do! We went to the same art school after high school, you know? I told him to bring friends with him, but I don’t know if he will.”

Hyejin comes out of the kitchen, looking different from the last time she they have met. She remembers the embarrassed look on her friend’s face as they bumped into each other as she was looking for new clothes. Now, the embarrassed look is gone and Hyejin looks more like her normal self.

“Hi, Yongsun!”

“You still won’t call her Solar, will you?”

“She told me she did not like it.”

Hyejin looks at Moonbyul, who laughs softly and sticks her tongue out of like a child. But before Yongsun has time to answer, there is a loud knock on the door and Moonbyul’s face lights up.

“Ha! It must be him!”


Hi everyone. I'm sorry for being that slow to upload these days. Thanks to all of you who comment and subscribe to the story, it means a lot to me ! [And I am sorry if it gets long or confused at times ]