Chapter 14

Cats Are Pillars

The night of the date, Yongsun feels dizzy and light at the same time, looking at her reflection in the mirror as she adjusts her dress and puts a pair of black stiletto on. She unlooses her ponytail and paints her lips with red lip ink, hoping she will not look too vulgar for Minseok. A few minutes later, after feeding the cats and making sure a light is still on, she is gone.

Minseok is already parked in front of the apartment lot. He is wearing a dark, chic suit and bow tie. His hair is brushed back, but the most noticeable thing he is wearing tonight is his unforgettable, ever-present smile. It makes her smile as well, as she walks towards the car, looking at him, trying to hide the spark in her eyes.

“Good evening.”

“Good evening. I… You look very good.” She says, feeling the need to disappear as she realizes how cliché she must sound. Is she really saying such things? Thinking this way? She swallows the need to giggle, her teeth sinking in the pulp of her lower lip instead.

“You too. Your dress is lovely.”

Yongsun silently thanks him for not being too expressive. It is good to have someone by her side who just smiles and answers compliment instead of repeating her how great she looks or how nice she is or how important it is to have someone in her life. At this moment, the accountant realizes they have never mentioned their relationship. Are they still colleagues? Has this date a deeper meaning than the one she has imagined? No, it just cannot be.

“Well… Are we going?”

“Jump in.”

She gets into the car and puts her handbag on her thighs, fastening her belt before Minseok starts up the car.

 

The restaurant is a small and welcoming place. The smell of pasta and tomato fills the main room and the music is only covered by the constant rattle of forks and knives on the plates.

Yongsun glances at the customers plates, mouth-watering as she imagines her upcoming meal. Once she is comfortable seated, her eyes follow the waiters’ ballet, wondering how long it took them to learn how to handle dishes and plates so well.

“You’re dreaming.”

Yonsung looks at Minseok, a sheepish smile forming on her lips as she meets his eyes.

“Sorry.” She says, looking at her napkin as she feels her cheek burn. “I haven’t been invited in a while. It feels like I’m discovering everything once again.”

Her smile grows wider as a waiter comes over and hands them the menus. She reads through hers, paying attention to every detail, but trying to not look at the prices. She does not want Minseok to spend too much money on her, though. She is indeed a very independent woman, who needs no man to rely on! Her eyes uncontrollably trail on the prices written on the right of the pages and… Well, depending on a man once in a while is maybe not as bad as she thinks it is, right? They ordered the same menu and, once the waiter is gone, Minseok looks at Yongsun, playing with the fork on his left.

“So, what about telling more about you?”

“I… What do you want to know?”

“What are your hobbies? Your interests?”

The thing is getting serious, Yongsun thinks. It gives her an uncomfortable feeling in the stomach as she thinks that she does not want to talk about her babies. What if he does not like them? What if he decides that a woman with cats is not the one he needs? She keeps repeating herself it is not important, but what if it is? Her eyes drop slightly, but a smile from him is enough to bring hers back.

“I like animals.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yes I… I have cats.”

“Great! I’m a cat person.”

She smiles, hearing the words. The charming Minseok is a cat person. How great is it? She giggles. How silly is she to laugh at such simple things?

“What is so funny?”

“Nothing. I… I’m just very glad to hear it.” She answers, extending her arm to brush the black of his hand with the tip of her fingers.

She learns many things about Minseok this evening. He is an intellectual who likes reading. He also plays golf when he has the occasion. Eric played golf too. As if she is meant to like golf players. The more they speak, the more the accountant notices how serious he seems to be. The kind of man who succeeds in life and always has new opportunities. Needless to say, she likes it much.

On their way back to Yongsun’s place, the accountant finds herself dreaming once again. She feels her heart beating faster as she gets out of the car, with Minseok insisting on accompanying her to the top of the stairs.

“I’m glad you came tonight.” He says, his eyes meeting Yongsun’s.

“I’m glad you invited me.”

And before she has the time to add a single word, she feels the soft touch of Minseok’s lips on hers, and for a moment she fears her heart can explode. She looks at him, her eyes widened out of surprise as she steps back hastily.

“I… Thank you Minseok… I… See you tomorrow.”

After entering her place, the accountant lays her back against the closed door, her heart racing as if she had been running a marathon. Minseok has kissed her. Was it real? She places the tips of her fingers against her lips, her eyes closed.

He really is Prince Charming.