Chapitre 11

Cats Are Pillars

When she goes back to Hyejin's office, a few days later, Yongsun looks at Cherry, more precisely at the little scar she can see on the cat's face, with a sad smile. "It should disappear with time." Hwasa says upon noticing the look on her friend’s face. "Don't worry too much for her. She's fine." The vet smiled at her, gently patting Yongsun's arm before sitting behind her computer to enter the information of the animal. The accountant notices the way Hwasa is eying her, but she keeps her thoughts for herself, pays and goes away. She does not want to answer questions. Not today. Not about him.

Minseok. Minseok. Minseok. Yongsun does not want to admit that her heart is beating for the accountant. For her colleague! Yet, she cannot help thinking about him, smiling at the mere thought of him, and it annoys her a great deal. Yes, she thinks, I may see him as something more than just a colleague, but it does not mean I have fallen for him. She keeps denying the truth her heart wants her to admit. She keeps telling herself that she is the one in control, when it really is not the case anymore. Minseok seems to have settle in a place where she did not expect him, and she has no way to get him out. She feels like the main character of a very bad romantic movie, and it makes her sick to think that she is once again fallen in a trap of liking a man for his good manners or his smile.

Her phone rings as she is walking to her car and she picks up the call after glancing at the screen.

"Hi mom, how are you?" She says, trying not to let got of the cat box.

"Mom? Well... I don't know how to take it."

Yongsun's heart stops as she hears the voice chuckling on the other end.

"Minseok? I... " She takes the phone away from her ear to look at the screen and, at the moment she notices the name next to the number is actually Minseok and not Mama as she has thought, she wants to disappear. "I... Sorry." She says, feeling more sheepish than ever. "I thought it was my mother calling, I kind of misread the..."

"Don't worry." His tone seems so serious that she fears there might be a problem. "Can you do me a favor, please?"

"Depends on what it is?" The accountant answer, placing the cat box on the passenger seat before sitting in front of the wheel. "Can I call back later? I must drive home."

"Sure. Don't forget me."

"I won't."

On her way home, she listens to the noises Cherry makes in her box, trying to escape without being able to open the locks.

"I hope it taught you a lesson, Cherry. Never bother Mr. Stache." She says.

A wave of sadness suddenly overwhelms her, and she pinches her lips, her fingers clenching on the wheel as she looks at the road.

It has been a while since she has not spoken to Jongdae. Not even a word. She has not wanted to disturb him by sending him a message, but she knows she should have called him to ask why he was acting all grumpy and distant lately.

But why should she do it? She is not the one at fault!  She knows that she has done nothing bad. How can he let their friendship go into nothingness?

She parks her car in front of her appartment block before getting out of it to bring the cat box home.

She stops in front of her door, rolling her eyes. It seems like the only thing Wheein can do is whining and complain about her.

It is only then that she realizes how familiar the second voice sounds. The voice of the very person she has been thinking about on her way back home.

"Jongdae?" She hears her voice crossing her lips as she stares at her neighbour's door in dismay. How? Why?

If they know each other, it explains a lot of things.

Maybe they have never been friends. Maybe they are not anymore.

Maybe she has always been wearing pink-tainted glasses that allow her to live in an almost-perfect world.

She pushes her door open and slams it before putting the box on the couch to free Cherry.

Then she goes to the kitchen, taking a bag of cat food and filling the dishes for her babies. Unfortunately, watching them eat does not help ease her anger. She does not even manage to think of something else, so she takes back her coat and goes out after messaging Byul to tell her she is "going to have a drink on her own since nobody seems to care about her anyway." A dramatic move. A much-like-her move, she would say. She waits for an answer, but her phone remains silent.

"Fine. Nothing's like drinking on my own." She thinks before leaving the appartment block.

It is not as if someone is really waiting for her, anyway.