Chapter 1

Cats Are Pillars

Big green eyes are looking at her. Round and piercing, with just a line of black in the center to remind her they are not only precious stones. Chewing on a spoonful of rice, Yong-sun stares at the big, black long-haired animal seating in front of her, knowing perfectly that telling him to go away would be vain.

Because the place in front of her is the one Mop always chooses when his owner decides to take her meal, and that she has tried so many times to prevent him from climbing onto the table that she finally came to the conclusion that it was just impossible to keep him away.

Mop, sweeping dust behind him with his tail, kept looking at her as if she had done something wrong.

"No dear, you won't have a piece." The mouth full with rice and covered with the back of her hand, Yong-sun giggles at the way the animal keeps staring.

Could he even understand her words?

She finally takes her empty bowl and stands up, leaving her seat as the cat does the same, reaching her side of the table to the surface, as though he hopes to discover some wonderful taste.

"Don't." She hisses in the hope of making him stop.

But of course, Mop goes on, as though deaf to her voice.

"At least you could help me to actually clean this place..." She sighs half-amusedly before going to the kitchen to put the bowl into the dishwasher. "But it'll wait, I've somewhere to go."

She says, the back of Cherry, a white-furred cat with a bright pink muzzle, before taking the cat box in the corner of the kitchen, in which a small, creamy creature seems to be sleeping peacefully on a piece of red and rose fabric.

"Time to get your vaccination, little treasure."

She has taken a day off to go to the vet. And the reason her visits to the vet are always long is simply that, beyond her profession, the Dr. Ahn has been a good friend of hers for what seems like centuries.

Entering the clean-looking cabinet that smells like antiseptic mixed with a barely noticeable animal scent, Yong-sun is welcomed with the smile of her long time friend, who stands up and approaches her to greet her with a kiss on the cheek before bowing to look at the cat box, both hands resting on her knees.

"So, how's Bubble doing?" She raises her gaze to catch Yong-sun's, who nods quietly, smiling brightly as she replies.

"She's doing great. Still a bit savage, but quieter than the last time we met."

"She lives in the middle of the jungle," Hyejin smiles and shrugs,"she better know how to fight back."

Then the vet stands back up in a giggle and goes to the drawers in which her material is stored. Yong-sun knows it because she was there the day Hyejin started working in her own cabinet. Back then, she had helped her finding a place for everything.

Yong-sun put the cat box on the cold, metallic examination table and opens the door, immediately grasping the cream bolt that tries to escape from her grip.

She smiles as her ear catches the giggle coming from the drawer corners and, turning her head in that direction, she sees Hyejin coming back with a seringe, the vaccination and an electronic thermometer.

Things go pretty fast after this. The kitten gets her vaccination, she squeals and tries to escape, the same way she did when the vet tried to take her temperature. "And we're done, princess." She trails a soft and down the back of the animal, looking up at her owner with a kind smile spreading on ther lips. "I still have to get the trick to keep them calm."

It has only been a couple of months since Hyejin works alone. She had first to go out of college, which was not the easiest thing to do. But being intelligent for a girl her age, she got out of it a bit earlier than most other students.

"Okay now." She says, giving Yong-sun that knowing look.

Oh, yes, she knows this look. She knows it too well. Time for the serious talk.

"What?" Yong-sun's eyelashes flutter, she tries to keep her face straight. How hard is it, when she knows perfectly what the conversation will be about.

"You know perfectly well. What's up with Eric?"

"Ah... Why should you bring him up?" The cat owner responds, crossing arms and letting out a fake laughter as if it is nothing to talk about. "Well, it's over."

"Once again." The vet deadpans, sighing through her nose.

"Not once again ! He deserved what happened."

Hyejin's gaze became a little more accusatory and she crosses her arms as well. "I've heard you scolded him for having told your cat to get off him."

"No, actually, he pushed her."

"Will you ever learn?" Hyejin sighs deeply and looks into Yong-sun's eyes, knowing her friends is on the stubborn side. "You've been together for three months and you sent him away because he pushed your cat off his legs?"

"He just had to accept me as I am." Yong-sun blurts out like a whiny child caught doing something wrong.

"Yong..."

"No. I'm sorry Hyejin, I can't. I know he's your friend and you were sure we would click, but I just can't."

"But it'd been three months!" Hyejin argued, shocked with her friend's reaction.

But without a word, she takes the cat box, pays the visit and vaccination, then leaves the cabinet, her friends words lingering into her memory.

Of course, three months was a nice period of time, but the way Eric had behaved with Moody was just outraging and she could not accept it. Violence against her baby is definitely a No-No.

Once home, she frees the beast and takes out the piece of fabric, throws it in the garbage, then sighs. Three different shades of fur sleeps on the couch, another on the window sill, where the cacti are supposed to stand proudly, and it only takes a second to Yong-sun to discover the broken pot underneath. Mr. Stache must be lying on her bed at this time of the day, as always.

Stepping into her yellow slippers, Yong-sun seats between her cats, waking up Moody, which lifts his head and looks at her before going back to his so important unproductivity.

For a moment, Yong-sun stays there with the television off, contemplating the room and the different fur balls curled up in every corner.

At least, they did not complain about her being alone.  


Author Note: And here's the first chapter ! ♥ I admit Eric is the first name that popped into my mind when I thought of a man who could have dated Yong-sun in the past. Thanks to the few of you who have subscribed with only the few words I posted this week-end. I hope you're not too disappointed ! I do not know how often I'll update this, but I'll try to not leave you hanging for too long !