Chapter 3

Flying Without Wings

I know, I know, I'm a terrible person for not updating for almost a whole month, but I'm almost done with school and the end of the year crap is piling up like crazy. Sorry in advance for the failed humor in this chapter.


Key POV

OH….MY….GOD. What the hell have I just done? What kind of mother knocks their baby out with a door?

I opened the door completely to see Taemin lying on the floor, out cold. I hooked my arms under his and (literally) dragged him back onto his bed. I don’t think I hit him THAT hard, but to be safe, I checked over his head and found a knot forming just behind his hairline.

“Oh god, oh god, oh god. Taemin, wake up sweetie. You need to wake up so umma won’t panic anymore.” All I got from him was silence. His face was completely still and for some reason, that reminded me of a dead person.

Please don’t tell me I killed him. I’m too pretty to go to prison. I wouldn’t last an hour.

Ok, I know I was being a little too dramatic, but come on! I just knocked out Taemin and I didn’t even know if he was dead or not. Well, he’s still breathing, so he’s not dead, but still. I was a worried mother; I have a right to spaz out.

It was probably a good idea to get him some help rather than just stand there fussing so I left him on the bed and went back to Onew’s room. One of the reasons he’s a good leader, despite being a bit of a goofball, but he was the best person to go to in an emergency.

People think I’m the one who takes care of the others when they get sick. Truth is, I’m completely useless. I panic to the point where I can’t think straight and I’m the one who needs to be taken care of. Jinki hyung is the real mother hen. At the first sign of a cold, he’ll send you to bed, bring you medicine, and even tuck you in. I can’t count the times I’ve had to run to him because I didn’t know what to do.

Maybe it was because of my panic driven mind, but the hallway seemed like it gained an extra five ing miles to it.I finally made it back to our leader’s room.

If it wasn’t for the way I always throw open doors around the dorm, he might have been surprised when I stormed in without knocking.

Onew POV

It’s been a while since we actually got a break from performances so we took full advantage of it by deciding to do the obvious; be completely normal guys. Last time I checked on everyone, Minho was out at a soccer game, Kibum was watching some drama on tv, Taemin was in his room reading, and I had no idea where Jonghyun was. That is, until Kibum came in and told me what that dino was up to.

After I was alone again, I thought about how I should handle the situation. I was worried about the consequences of his actions, but I was never one for administering punishment. Although, flying during the day was too much of a risk for me to simply just brush off to the side. This time, I was going to have to put my foot down and actually ground him. As much as I was against it, he was putting not only himself in danger, but the whole of SM. If anyone of the public found out about the truth about the company, it would be the end of any hope we had to live normal lives. Scientists would want to experiment on us and dissect our bodies, we’d have to go into hiding in some uninhabited forest or something, and we would probably be seen as freaks of nature and hated for that. I refused to see that happen to the people I cared about, so I would have to step up and be the leader that people see me as.

When SHINee first debuted, I already had my wings, so I was automatically marked as the leader, the strong one that the rest of the group could look up to. Frankly, I don’t see what people see in me; I’m a clumsy, dorky guy with nothing that makes me identifiable from others. However, the others actually listened to what I had to say and respected me. They looked past the klutz and saw someone else and wanted to know him better. When I fell, they picked me up and brushed me off. These four guys were just as much part of my family as my own mother and as much as it hurt me to do it, I would have to punish Jonghyun for doing something so stupid and irresponsible.

Just as I decided this, Kibum threw open my bedroom door, panic and guilt clearly written on his face. I stared at him for a few seconds, not really used to seeing him without his usual confidence, which automatically made me assume the worst.

“Alright, who did you kill?”

He simply hung his head and started shuffling his feet like a kid that got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Oh god did he really kill someone this time?

“Well, you see. What happened was……”

…………………….

“So……exactly how long has he been like this?”

Kibum and I had gotten the still knocked out Taemin situated in bed and we now stood at the foot of the bed, trying to figure out what to do with him.

Kibum glanced at the alarm clock next to Taemin’s bed. “Ummm, about half an hour, I think.”

 It worried me that he sounded so unsure about it. Was it possible that he had just stood there looking at Taemin lying on the ground for so long that he didn’t know how long it had been?

“Well, I don’t think he needs to go to the hospital or anything. See, he’s waking up already.”

Sure enough, Taemin’s eyelids were fluttering and his hands were twitching, kinda like he was trying to grab something. When he finally opened his eyes, the first things he seemed to focus on was Kibum, who was still wringing his hands together nervously. I guess he still felt guilty about knocking Taemin in the head with a door. I mean, who wouldn’t?

Kibum crept closer to the bed and, gaining a little more courage, he ran his hands through Taemin’s hair, him in that way that always relaxed him. This time though, it seemed to have no effect on him, only serving to put Taemin on edge.

“Who are you people?”

 

*dramatic music* Dundunduuuuuuuuun. uh-oh, looks like Kibum knocked a few screws loose in Taemin's head with that door XD

and yeah, that failed humor I mentioned, just ignore it, I'm horable at humor.

So yeah, I'm back from the dead, or whereever the hell I've been this pass month. I finally graduated last week so now I'm getting stuff sorted out for college in the fall. But, not to worry, I've got a whole three months to waste on writing and actually post some more ideas I came up with.