Chapter 11

Camp Alpine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 11

♦♦♦

As I approached the far side of the lake, I could see two figures huddled together by the trees. They seemed to notice me and hurry back into the foliage for some cover. I knew it was Minhee and June.

I trudged out of the lake, panting and feeling like I was carrying a sack of bricks. I was tired. I squeezed some of the water out of my shirt and shorts and started rubbing my arms to warm up.

“Holy ! You just came out of the lake like something out of a horror movie,” Minhee yelled at me as she came out of hiding.

“Why did you just come from the lake?” June asked quietly. She took off the light cardigan she was wearing and handed it to me. I gave her a grin and accepted it.

“I don’t know if you realize this, but I swam across it,” I snapped. I was not in the mood to answer stupid questions. “Can we sit somewhere and talk?”

We walked down the beach a little ways before we came to some fire pits. We plopped down on some benches near a pit that looked like it had been recently used. There were still a few embers smoldering in the ashes. June had suggested trying to start the fire up again, but we stopped her. The last thing we needed was smoke giving our location away.  

“Where have you been? You weren’t even on the bus?” Minhee asked.

“I got on the bus that I was assigned to. It just so happened to be the bus for the boys’ camp. Whoever processed my forms thought I was a boy. It doesn’t help that I also look like a little boy,” I explained, sounding sour.

“You don’t look like a boy,” June said. Minhee and I shot her doubtful looks. “Okay, so maybe you look a little like a boy but not by that much.”

“Didn’t you tell anyone that you were at the wrong camp? You didn’t tell them that you’re a girl?” Minhee questioned with frustration.

“I tried. The camp director thought that I was just being hormonal. He’s a nutcase. I even tired to call my mom, and she didn’t believe me. She thought that I was still being dramatic and trying to find another way home. The two of them have talked and basically neither one will believe me, so I’m stuck with the boys all summer.”

Minhee shook her head in denial. “There’s got to be a way.”

“Yeah. I’d have to strip in front of them, and believe me, I’m not about to do that. Ever.”

“Oh god no! Don’t do that,” June sounded horrified. “What if you tell some of the boys? Would they believe you?”

“Are you kidding me, June? They’d eat Jisoo alive if they knew she was a girl. They wouldn’t help her out, they’d black mail her and trap her there. I know it sounds like the situation out of a drama, but honestly, what else would you call this?

At least one of my friends was on the same page as me. Unfortunately, I was still without a solution to my problem.  Being stuck with the boys made me feel more insecure about being at camp. I didn’t think that I would fit in from the beginning, but this was ridiculous.

“You can just move in here for the summer.” June suggested. “I don’t think anyone would realize that you weren’t here all along. I room with the leader of my village, and she’s a complete dope. She doesn’t even remember times when I’m in the cabin with her. I doubt she even knows who lives in our village.”

I heaved a sigh. “Not that that doesn’t sound tempting, but I don’t think I can. Your leader might be a dope, but mine sure isn’t. The alarm would sound as soon as I disappeared.”

“Are the boys over there really that attentive?” Minhee asked skeptically.

“Well, here’s the thing. I’ve kind of started making a name for myself over there; unintentionally of course. It isn’t like school. People surround me, and so far it hasn’t been in a bad way. I can’t get away from them. Besides, I am registered at the camp too. It would cause a really big problem.” I solidified the fact that I was going to be stuck with the boys.

“,” Minhee swore. “What can we do to help you?”

Nothing. The only thing that could help me was a time machine, and those didn’t even exist. If I could roll back the clock, I could have stepped right off that bus and walked up to the director and told him I was a girl on a bus full of boys. My mom probably would left by that point, but Minhee and June would have backed me up. Mr. Moon would have deeply apologized, and I would have rolled my eyes before climbing onto the bus with my friends. I wouldn’t have had to deal with lying practically every second or borrowing unflattering clothing.

“Do either of you have anything that I can use to help hide my chest a bit. I really don’t need anyone figuring out I’m a girl. I’m on the soccer team too, so I desperately need some support.”

“You really are in some deep , Jisoo, “ Minhee said standing up.

“Thanks Captain Obvious. I thought everything was just sunshine and daisies,” I spat sarcastically.

“I see you haven’t lost your bark,” June commented. “Just wait here. We’ll go see if we can find something for you to borrow.”

I waited in silence, looking back across the lake. For a while I just stared.  Through the darkness, it was hard to make out any features of the camp. If I didn’t already know it was there, I would have assumed it was just forest full of wild animals. Forest or not, I did know that some animals inhabited that side of the lake.

I wondered what would happen if I decided not to make the swim back across. How long would it take for someone to notice that I was missing?  It probably wouldn’t be long after breakfast. Minseok might be the first to notice, since he wouldn’t see me in the morning. I could picture him calmly asking around about me. I could see Gongchan being the one to go straight to the office. He just seemed like that kind of person. After that, who knows what would happen.

I heard a twig snap behind me and immediately got on the ground. I peeked over the log only to see Minhee and June. They looked at me like I was out of my mind. I moved to sit on the log again, brushing off the dirt I’d accumulated on my knees.

“I found some sports wrap you can use to bind your chest a bit,” June said, handing me the roll of cloth.

“I managed to dig out a couple of sports bras for you.” She held up one that seemed to be a light purple. “This one fits really snuggly, so you shouldn’t have to worry about anything bouncing too much. And while we are sort of on the topic of clothing, what happened to everything you brought?”

“Funny story actually. I pretended someone had an identical suitcase and stole it. It’s actually sitting in the line of trees in my village. I think I have one sports bra packed in there but I can’t exactly go running to my suitcase whenever I need something.”

“Well, take these two and protect y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter