Sweet Lies (Xingdae)

Oneshot Requests

A/N: titled sweet lies in honor of chanyeol's gift to us all. Anyways, I'm so proud of myself for getting these three requests out so fast lmao. But for some reason this was really hard for me to write??
prompt: a xingdae about yixing lying about being in china in order to surprise jongdae on his birthday- in honor of Jongdae's actual birthday today (in case you didn't know, he's my bias)! Hope you like it <3

“Any plans for your birthday, Jongdae?” Baekhyun asked casually, feet propped up on the table as he tapped away on his phone, lower lip tucked in his mouth. 

The other main vocalist pursed his lips and shrugged with one shoulder.

“I didn’t want to have anything big because I don’t think all the members will be able to just drop everything so I can gather them for my birthday,” Jongdae said thoughtfully, propping his chin on his hand as he pouted, thinking. “I was thinking just me and Yixing spending the day somewhere fun. Like Jeju Island? Or honestly, even just staying at the dorms and baking cookies with each other would be enough. I feel like I’ve barely seen him recently.”

Baekhyun stopped fidgeting around on his phone and looked up at the suddenly gloomy brunette sitting across from him. Jongdae had just recently dyed and permed it, and had developed a habit of constantly fixing his hair, which he was currently engaged in. 

“Jongdae,” Baekhyun sighed like a parent, “Don’t worry about it too much. It’s your special day! I’m sure the members will make room somehow.” He smiled reassuringly, but Jongdae’s eyes widened and he waved wildly with his hands in alarm.

“No, no! But that’s just it, I don’t want them to make a big deal out of it, really. I’ll just end up feeling bad. And plus, as long as I see Yixing, that’s really enough to make me happy,” Jongdae said quickly. 

Baekhyun feigned taking offense to his words, gasping dramatically and putting a hand to his chest as if taken back. 

“I’m hurt. You mean you’d rather spend time with Yixing than me? Rude,” he said jokingly. 

Jongdae just rolled his eyes and pulled out his phone, scrolling down to the first convo box in his messages. 

“I’d rather spend time with anyone but you, Baek.”  


 

 

5:48 PM

To: yixing <3

guess what tomorrow is ^_^

 

5:50 PM

From: yixing <3

Hmm… a national holiday?

 

Jongdae let out a laugh, because he knew for a fact the other EXO member hadn’t forgotten it was his birthday. He just liked teasing Jongdae.

 

5:50 PM

To: yixing <3

pretty much

 

5:50 PM

To: yixing <3

I wanna spend the day w u xing :(( pls? 

 

Jongdae bit his lip and waited with bated breath for the response that was taking much too long to arrive. He knew the other was busy, probably the busiest out of everyone in the group, what with his constant traveling back and forth between China and South Korea. But he had been hoping Yixing would have one free day- just one. Jongdae had been dropping subtle hints about wanting to see him soon, and with his birthday coming up, it was the perfect excuse.

It wasn’t the jingle of his phone signaling a text message, but the instrumental to the title track of their newest album (he’d set it as his ringtone) that brought him out of his thoughts. His heart thumped, heavy in his ribcage, as he took in the name of the caller at the top of the screen.

He accepted the call and pressed the phone to his ear, curling up on the couch with his legs tucked under him. 

“Yixing?”

“Hey, Jongdae,” Came the comforting voice of his boyfriend. It almost made Jongdae want to cry, because he knew this was the tone Yixing used when he was calling to let Jongdae know he wasn’t going to be able to attend the awards show, or that his flight had been delayed. 

Or that he was going to be in China for another week or so.

“Listen,” Yixing sighed on the other side of the call and Jongdae bit his lip, already anticipating his next words. “I don’t even know how to make this up to you. I’m going to be filming the next episode of Go Fighting tomorrow and the earliest I’d have a open space and be able to fly back to Korea would be in at least a week.”

Jongdae’s vision blurred as tears brimmed his lower lash line and he pouted to himself. He knew he was acting like a child, but it really was so hard dating the only member in the group that had to shuttle between two countries every other day, it seemed. Wasn’t it ok to be selfish for just one day? Just one?

“But it’s my birthday,” Jongdae said quietly, almost a whisper, because he was afraid his voice would crack if he spoke any louder, and one hand fidgeted with the loose threads on the end of one of the pillows on the couch.

“I know. I’m so, so, so sorry Jongdae. You know I’d be there for you if I could but I just can’t. This has been in my schedule for at least a couple months now,” Yixing sighed, and then suddenly Jongdae felt angry. 

“Well if you knew it was in your schedule then why didn’t you tell me sooner? I feel like you gave me false hope and now here I am like an idiot because I told everyone else not to do anything because I was going to be spending the day with you!” Jongdae shouted, and he ignored the salty taste of tears as they slid down his face and into his mouth. Choking back a sob, he tried muffling his cries with the sleeve of his sweater and brought the phone back up to his ear. “I just wanted to spend my birthday with you so bad,” he whispered sadly and felt his heart fall through his stomach and shatter. 

“Don’t cry Jongdae, please don't cry,” Yixing begged, and it only made Jongdae cry harder because he knew how hardworking Yixing was but he still wanted to be selfish and it was all just so unfair. “Please go out with the others. I’m sure the managers will be lenient for just a day. Please. I love you so much.”

Jongdae sniffled sadly and wrapped his arms around his knees, resting his chin on top of them.

“I love you too. And I miss you so much,” Jongdae replied back. 

“I’ll call you tomorrow, too, ok? And we’ll video chat. Promise?”

“Promise?”

“Ok. I love you, Jongdae,” Yixing said and then there was a click and the call was over. 

Jongdae tossed the phone aside and buried his head in his arms and just cried.  


“It’ll be fun, Jongdae!”

“Yeah, come on, Dae. It’s your birthday, you shouldn’t be sad!”

The encouraging words from his fellow members did manage to bring a small smile to his face, but Jongdae’s eyes were still slightly red from crying earlier. He knew it wasn’t even that big of a deal. Yixing would be home in less than a week and they could go out to celebrate his birthday then. 

But it just wasn’t the same without him. 

Minseok, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Junmyeon were all crowded around him, pestering him to let them take him out for the day. It was a rare moment when even a third of the group, much less five members, were together in one place, and that’s exactly what they told him 

“I mean… I guess. Ok,” Jongdae said reluctantly, and Baekhyun and Chanyeol let out hollers as they high- fived each other and clapped Jongdae on the back. 

“We’ll go to a nice restaurant and everything. It’ll be fun! Our treat,” Junmyeon said with a sweet smile and a twinkle in his eye.

It was at that time that Sehun walked in the door, much to Jongdae’s surprise. 

“Sehunnie? You’re here too?”

“Of course. It’s your birthday, why would I miss that?” Sehun scoffed jokingly, and he hadn’t meant for his words to hurt Jongdae, but they just reminded him of Yixing’s situation and tugged at his heart. Sensing the older man’s impeding sadness, he quickly added, “But, uh, one of the manager’s wanted to talk to you. Something about your schedule next week or something.”

Jongdae’s eyebrows knit together and he cocked his head in confusion. “But I don’t have a schedule next week? I think I literally just talked to them two days ago.”

Sehun’s mouth opened and closed and he straightened up, clearly at a loss of words. Panic flashed in the eyes of all the members present before Baekhyun interjected.

“Ah, what I’m sure our wonderful Sehun,” Baekhyun glared momentarily at the youngest member, “meant to say was that you have some lessons soon. Like. Vocal lessons. Probably.” Baekhyun flashed a wide smile, and it only succeeded in confusing Jongdae even further before Junmyeon made a noise, shoving both Baekhyun and Sehun aside to raise his hand to speak. 

“Just go see the managers. I saw them down the hall when I was walking. I think they’re still in the dining area,” Junmyeon said quickly, his smile still on.

Jongdae nodded slowly, taking in the faces of all the people around him. Something felt… off, but he couldn’t quite figure out what it was. 

“Ok… I guess I’ll be right back?” He said in a questioning tone, and just as he was about to leave, Sehun made a noise and grabbed his wrist, reaching into the pocket of his sweats to pull out a small, neatly wrapped box.

“Ah, before you go, happy birthday hyung,” Sehun said sweetly and handed Jongdae the box, which the other accepted with a coo of adoration, heart melting. 

“Sehun! You’re probably the most annoying , but this is sweet,” Jongdae smiled and the cute little pink and white ribbon around the small box. He rattled it close to his ear, cocking his head when it didn’t make a sound. “I’ll open it later. Thank you.”

Sehun snorted and then immediately tried hiding his mouth with a hand. “Yeah, I’m sure you will,” he muttered.

“What’d you say?” Jongdae asked, head peeping back in the room before he had left completely.

“Nothing, nothing!” Sehun said and ushered the other out the door. 

Yeah, he was real sure he’d get a kick out of it. 


 

 

Jongdae swung his arms back and forth as he made his way to the kitchen area that the members shared. He was a bit confused as to why any of the managers wanted to talk to him, in the kitchen no less, and especially since he had quite literally just spoken with one of them two days prior. What could they possibly want?

Upon arriving, Jongdae immediately noticed the lights were off and the doors were closed, which was strange. There was always someone in the kitchen, whether it was Kyungsoo cooking, or just someone snacking away, so the fact that both the doors and lights were closed sent a shiver up Jongdae’s back. 

He slowly pushed the door open, and when the lights flew on and two figures jumped out screaming, his first reaction was to immediately grab the object closest to him, a cutting board, and use it as both a shield and a weapon, screaming and waving it at the two figures threateningly. 

“WAIT, IT’S JUST US!” Jongin yelled, holding his hands up in surrender as Kyungsoo did the same next to him. 

Jongdae, still breathing heavily, took in the two with wide eyes. Both had silly birthday hats on, and the room was decorated with streamers and a “Happy Birthday!” sign was draped across the table. 

“You guys,” Jongdae slowly set down the cutting board, “this is for me?” The lump in his throat grew as he took in everything. He hadn’t even expected anyone to have the time to stop by and wish him a happy birthday in person, much less almost all of the members taking the time to throw him a mini surprise. Was this what Sehun had been talking about- “talking” to the managers? 

“Of course, stupid,” Kyungsoo scoffed, and he grabbed something off the table. “But this is just the pre- show. Come here.” Kyungsoo took Jongdae’s wrist and pulled him forward and the other let him, smiling in amusement as a sleek black blindfold was gently placed in front of his eyes and tied in the back.

“Ooo, this is getting a little ,” he teased, and earned an elbow (probably Kyungsoo) to the ribs. 

Jongdae was let out the room slowly, and he had to admit that the trip made his heart pound a little. He couldn’t keep the little smile off his face as the hand that rested just above his lower back guided him down the hall and to an unknown location.

“Ok,” Jongin said, “Don’t open your eyes until we tell you to.” The cloth was removed from his eyes. 

Jongdae pouted, but complied and kept his eyes shut. He truly had no idea where they were, but was given a shock when he felt a cool breeze to his face. Were they outside?

Suddenly, a small sense of fear crept into him at the thought of being somewhere like a rooftop or at the edge of a balcony. “Wait, guys-“

“Open.”

It wasn’t Kyungsoo or Jongin’s voice. No voice in the world could send shivers down Jongdae’s back with a single word. No one could make him breathless with just two syllables. 

Slowly, Jongdae opened his eyes, breathing slightly heavier, and his eyelashes fanned against his cheek as he did so, raising his eyes higher and higher up a lean body until they came to rest on the face of the person in front of him.

“Yixing,” Jongdae whispered, a knot forming in his throat as the other took his hands and tenderly placed a kiss on his forehead. 

“Surprise!” Yixing laughed, wrapping his strong arms around Jongdae’s waist and spinning him around. The birthday boy let out a happy and bubbly laugh, feeling one hundred and one emotions at the moment. 

Yixing had… lied to him? But in a good way? And the other members had been on this? And they were…. out on a balcony?

“What’s- what’s all this?” Jongdae said with a wide smile, utterly blown away by the situation as he looked around. The full moon hanging in the night sky perfectly illuminated the neat and intimate single tabletop, the plates resting onto the white tablecloth basked in moonlight. There were two red roses stuck in a thin and elegant vase, and Jongdae didn’t think he could be more in love. 

“It’s your birthday,” Yixing tutted and came up behind Jongdae, wrapping his arms around his waist from behind, “did you really think I’d miss it?”

Jongdae took his sight off the spectacular view of the city to turn his head to the side and look at Yixing- a much more breathtaking sight, in his opinion 

“I love you.” He closed the tiny gap between their lips and pressed them together in a small but intimate kiss. It lasted until Yixing broke it off, looking down between them and reaching into Jongdae’s pocket. 

“What?” Jongdae asked, and then watched as Yixing pulled out the small box that had been pressed between them. It was Sehun’s gift. “Oh, that was from Sehun,” he explained. 

“What is it?” Yixing asked and Jongdae shrugged. The Chinese member carefully pulled the end of the cute pink ribbon and slotted a finger under the neat wrapping. When all the packaging had been pulled apart, he opened the small black box that contained the gift. 

There was a moment of silence between both singers as they took in the underwhelming gift that simultaneously spoke volumes. Jongdae was the first to break the silence.

“Really Sehun? A freaking ?” He said exasperatedly, and rolled his eyes at the youngest member’s antics. It was hard to believe the other was a full grown man sometimes. 

Yixing just laughed, and rested his cheek on Jongdae’s shoulder as he set the box down and just slowly swayed both their bodies. 

It was just the two of them, overlooking all of Seoul with the moon and their hearts at the fullest and the love between them inseparable by any distance.