You wear your Heart on your Sleeve (Chenyeol)

Oneshot Requests

wowwowow this is... very bad lmao I'm so sorry. I wrote this out of order and in chunks because I'm not too great with writing full action scenes and it's the only way I can get through an entire one shot that's just action haha. But I do hope I did your prompt justice though and if not, of course, always feel free to request a part two or even another one altogether. Here's the AU where Chen and Chanyeol are in an established relationship and Chanyeol is the overprotective boyfriend that goes crazy when his boyfriend gets hurt! (p.s. this does contain what I'd consider pretty mild gore so beware. also rip shinee sorry I needed villains lol) enjoy <3 


The plan was easy. Or at least, it was supposed to be. Junmyeon had given them all the briefing- get to the location, find the bad guy, take him out, clean up. That was it. Pretty straightforward. 

In his opinion, Jongdae didn’t even think they needed all the members to fight this guy. Apparently he was just conducting some weapons or drug trade and was rumored to be at a certain location that day. During their briefing, Junmyeon had given them all his profile, complete with his stats, powers, weaknesses, and the like, and he really hadn’t sounded that menacing. And Jongdae didn’t want to be that member of the group, but his record thus far had been pretty spotless. 

So of course he was going to pout a little on their way to the warehouse where said guy was supposed to be. What had Junmyeon said his name as, again? Ki? Kibum, something or the other. It almost sounded familiar, but it was also so early in the morning that Jongdae had trouble telling his left foot apart from the right.

Normally, Jongdae would have just it up and done as he was told, because the group already had a designated complainer- Baekhyun- and Jongdae wasn’t about to upset everyone else just because of a little inconvenience.

But Junmyeon had to go and pair him up with Chanyeol. Chanyeol, his beloved, adoring, caring boyfriend. Who hardly even let him leave the house and go to the supermarket without someone (usually himself) accompanying him. Jongdae loved him dearly, but he was the absolute worst to be paired with on mission trips. The man spent half the time looking over his shoulder to make sure Jongdae was alright, which always got him reprimanded for afterwards. 

It was like saying Chanyeol didn’t have faith in Jongdae’s abilities. And it annoyed him. 

“Chanyeol,” Jongdae said, placing a hand over the other’s larger one, “promise me that when we get there, you won’t be leaning over my shoulder the entire time? We have a job to do and we can’t do that if you’re worrying about me the entire time.”

The car containing one half of the group was silent, the other four members either catching some quick shuteye or had their ears stuffed with earbuds. Junmyeon was driving them, but his eyes were on the dark road in front of them and he was more than likely tuning the two out, mind running over the details of the mission, or just too sleep- deprived to say anything. It was early in the morning, anyways. The sun hadn’t even risen yet. 

Chanyeol sighed, rubbing a thumb over the back of Jongdae’s smooth hand. Soft and free of any scars, unlike Chanyeol’s own. But then, Jongdae had always been a smarter fighter than he was.

“Sorry. I can’t help it,” Chanyeol said quietly, eyes cast down. He really couldn’t. If he’d gotten his way, he’d have Jongdae living a life of luxury somewhere safe and tropical- a place that needed to match his beauty. Like Fiji. Or something.

Jongdae slipped his hand out of Chanyeol’s hold and flicked the other’s nose. He really was like a big, stupid puppy sometimes. 

“Yeah, I know you . But don’t you have faith in me? My powers have one of the fullest stats in the group,” Jongdae countered.

“It’s not you I don’t trust. I trust you. I don’t trust others.”

“But you have to trust I’ll be able to hold my own,” Jongdae argued.

“But how can I when the only thing I can think of is you crying over getting a paper cut?” Chanyeol shot back, and then laughed at the way Jongdae pouted cutely. The redhead leaned over to place a chaste kiss on the other’s soft, kitten lips, chuckling when it just made him cross his arms and sulk like a child.

“That’s not fair. You’re not allowed to do that in arguments,” Jongdae pointed accusingly at Chanyeol and the other lifted his hands in the air in mock surrender. 

“Aye, aye, captain,” he winked and saluted the other with two fingers touching his brow. Jongdae rolled his eyes, but couldn’t fight the smile slowly spreading across his face. 

“You’re so stupid. Wake up the others, we’re going to be there soon,” Jongdae said, not wanting to deal with waking up a sleep- deprived Luhan without Sehun there to appease his significant other.


 

“Everyone remember the plan?” Junmyeon asked, tone devoid of any of his usual joking manner. The nine surrounding members nodded their heads in uniform fashion. The only two missing were Minseok, who had stayed back to nurse a particularly nasty wound he’d gotten from their last mission, and Junmyeon had insisted Kyungsoo stay for insurance, much to the displeasure of Jongin. 

Jongdae curled a hand into a fist and slowly loosened it out, feeling a familiar vibrant shock rolling all throughout his body, the tips of his fingers tingling with electricity. His body was humming with energy, the ends of his hair lifting slightly from his power. 

Junmyeon nodded curtly and gave the signal for everyone to roll out. He, Sehun, and Kris would flank to the east side of the warehouse, where Kibum was supposedly hid in with his manufactured weapons and drugs. Luhan, Baekhyun, and Tao would be taking the west entrance, while Jongdae and Chanyeol took the main entrance head- on. Jongin and Yixing were always the last to enter an infiltration, the pair utilizing Jongin’s teleportation abilities to come to the aid of any wounded member. 

While everyone else had dispersed, Chanyeol suddenly grabbed Jongdae’s wrist and pulled him in close, stealing his lips in a sweet kiss, full of tender love and resolute promises. 

It wasn’t very heated, but still left Jongdae slightly warm and breathless, and Chanyeol with his lips tingling.

“What was that for?” Jongdae asked breathlessly and Chanyeol grinned before adjusting the bulletproof arm wraps meant to protect himself from both burns and non- fire wounds. 

“For good luck,” He said, and Jongdae scoffed, pulling up the black turtleneck that covered the lower half of his face and successfully hid the smile that had crept over it. 

The two of them silently ran toward the metal garage door marking the entrance to the warehouse. The early morning sky was still dark, and there was only two lights on the outside of the building- one at the front and the other at the back. 

Chanyeol’s dark eyes were faintly illuminated by the single light outside and Jongdae watched him raise a hand and signal.

 

One.

 

Two. 

 

Three!

 

With all the elegance and strength of a cheetah pouncing in for a kill, Chanyeol’s leg whipped around and smashed into the garage door, the impact made more intense by the fire engulfing his leg. 

The metal gave in easily and Jongdae took the opportunity at once to surge in, both arms protected and crackling with electricity from shoulder to clenched fists. For a second, all he saw was a large, poorly lit room, with boxes and boxes, stacked nearly up the ceiling. 

And then it was a flicker in the corner of his eye and then Jongdae was whirling around, arms already formed in an ‘x,’ ready to lash out and unleash his power on the opponent

The person was dressed in all black, and had a hand of claws several inches long, all sharpened to a point, poised above his head and aiming for Jongdae’s head. Judging from his attire and cat- like features, Jongdae assumed his attacker was Kibum. 

Jongdae wouldn’t have been in any danger and had actually been more than ready to face the enemy head- on, but suddenly, a flash of red intercepted him first, and a heated burst of fire shot out in front of him.

 “Pheonix!” Jongdae yelled, forgetting the stupid nickname Chanyeol had given himself when he was forced to shield his face from the heat wave that was so powerful it knocked him back several steps. 

“I got this Chen! You just go and help the others,” Chanyeol grunted with each hit he matched with his foe, whose sleek black outfit gave him the precision and speed needed to counter Chanyeol’s powerful and intense blows. 

Jongdae pushed down his annoyance with Chanyeol at the moment and picked himself off the ground, eyebrows furrowed in concentration. 

Across the warehouse, the fight had already begun. And it was then that Jongdae saw there wasn’t just one or two enemies, but five. Luhan and Tao were both intensely engaged with a tall, lean, man, who was impressively dodging the attacks of the duo. Jongdae didn’t focus close enough to tell if the man had any sort of powers, but he was dressed impressively simple in jeans and a white t-shirt that didn’t seem to have any special properties from what Jongdae could tell at a distance. Tao’s time- control powers had certain limitations that could prove to be rather tricky in some situations, but Luhan had a rather firm grasp on his own telekinetic powers, so Jongdae was forced to assume their foe was rather skilled, or at least had some way of countering both powers. 

Close by, Sehun and Junmyeon had paired their powers together to form a swirling hurricane of intensely spinning water, smashing into the walls and concrete floor repeatedly in an effort to try and catch a man with ethereal, lavender- colored hair, who seemed to be flitting around impossibly fast. Jongdae didn’t catch view of Yifan with them, so he assumed with a sinking feeling in his stomach that the man must be somewhere else, being healed by Yixing and Jongin. 

But where was Baekhyun? Jongdae hadn’t seen any tell- tale flashes of light that the light manipulator was so known for. 

And just as he thought that, there was an blinding flash, way back in the corner of the warehouse. It was enough to make Jongdae immediately avert his eyes, but even before the light source had started to wane, he was already slowly breaking into a jog and steadily gaining speed. Jongdae furrowed his eyebrows and concentrated his energy into his right arm, the air around it crackling with visible blue electricity. 

Baekhyun was clutching his left bicep, sending occasional beams of light at his enemy, a man who was dressed ridiculously in an expensive- looking suit and who easily avoided the attacks with side steps. Jongdae watched in disbelief as he even went so far as to grab the balls of light with his bare hands, the energy inflating like a balloon in his grasp, dissipating between his fingers. 

“Aw, it’s just not your lucky day is it?” The man said mockingly at Baekhyun, who had been trapped in a corner and was breathing hard, eyes glaring harder than diamond. “Your power is light? Well,” he flexed his fingers and smoky tendrils of black surrounded them, “I’m darkness.”

“Shut your mouth, Jonghyun!” Baekhyun growled out, and Jongdae froze for a moment. Jonghyun? The name sounded slightly familiar and he remembered suddenly that he’d just heard on the news the other day about a notorious drug and weapons trafficking group that had managed to break into and wipe out an entire factory worth of arsenics. The factory had been secured with more than forty equipped men. 

There had been no survivors.

Without thinking, Jongdae lunged forward, right arm surging with power, and he felt more alive than ever when he grabbed onto the back of Jonghyun’s collar, fingers digging into the smooth material of the suit and yanking hard, pivoting on the heels of his feet as he flung the man as hard as he could into a stack of boxes nearby that came crashing down from the powerful force. 

“Baekhyun, are you ok?” Jongdae pulled down the long neck of his black outfit to reveal his mouth and quickly kneeled down next to Baekhyun, who was grimacing and clutching his shoulder, knuckles white from holding on so tight.

“I’ve been better,” the man chuckled bitterly, “that got me good. I think it’s dislocated.” Jongdae swore under his breath, because Baekhyun had the lowest pain tolerance out of them all, and Jongdae didn't want to be the one attempting to pop the joint back in place when he could barely even dress his own wounds half the time.

“Ok, it’s alright. Just stay here, I’m going to find Yixi-” His words were cut off when a cold, cold, touch s around his ankles and yanked hard, sending Jongdae slamming into the ground with Baekhyun yelling in fright and surprise.

Jongdae could barely even look behind him as the hold on his ankles lugged him across the dirty cement ground of the warehouse and then turned sharply out the back entrance, where a giant hole had been made earlier by Luhan, Baekhyun, and Tao. 

He tried digging his elbows and hands into the ground to grapple onto something, but the way he was being tugged around like a rag doll made it nearly impossible to register any sort of hold and only left a trail of fizzling sparks from the friction created by Jongdae’s hands and the ground. The drag left Jongdae’s forearms cut and stinging raw, despite the long sleeves covering them. 

The pain around his ankles was starting to grow dangerously numb, and Jongdae was just about to muster up the strength to send a ball of lightning behind him, when the hold tightened and he was suddenly angled up and sent flying through the air, spiraling toward the walls of the warehouse. 

Jongdae scrunched his eyes closed and wrapped his arms around himself at the last minute, just before his shoulder took the brunt of the impact. The throw had been so fast and powerful that Jongdae’s body had completely splintered through the wooden walls of the warehouse, sending him catapulting through the air back into the room, and then he was free falling from nearly twenty feet up. 

He squinted through the raining wood chips and dust that had followed his crash and held out his hands, a soft protective blue glow surrounded his body just before it hit the floor. 

“Uargh,” Jongdae groaned painfully, trying to ignore the hammering feeling in his left hip from the way it had hit the unforgiving cement ground. The blue cover he’d enveloped his body in had been a protective shield of sorts, a layer charging with buzzing electricity so it’d somewhat make it less painful for Jongdae when he hit the floor.

“I have to say, you all really aren’t much,” a voice suddenly called out, and Jongdae heard the faint clicking of dress shoes over all the various shouts and crashes all across the warehouse. 

Jonghyun was standing a few feet away from Jongdae, looking relatively unharmed besides the back of his collar slightly smoking. It almost made Jongdae smirk, had he not been the one on the floor, in pain. 

“Yeah? You haven’t seen anything yet,” Jongdae growled, and he bit his tongue in attempt to ignore the screaming pain throughout his sore body when he once again charged it back up with focused energy, blue and white crackling around his arms. “I’m just getting started, you smug .”

He brought his arms forward with a jerk, clapping his hands together and an intense shock of electricity struck the ground and raced toward Jonghyun, who rolled up his sleeves and stumbled back closer to the wall, where a stack of crates casted a shadow over him. 

For a second Jongdae thought Jonghyun was going to meet his power head- on with his own, but then he blinked, and suddenly he was watching the other waving a hand over his face, the rest of his body already disappearing and cloaked in a smoky, hazy, black. 

Jongdae’s electrical strike hit the wall, sending a crack running all the way up to the ceiling, where a few particles rained down from the damage. 

“What the hell?” Jongdae whispered, head whipping around to see where his opponent had suddenly disappeared off to.

He watched Luhan launching an entire metal pipe at his opponent, who was also engaged in hand- to- hand combat with Tao. More toward the front entrance, Sehun was suddenly sent flying through the melted garage door courtesy of Chanyeol and Jongdae’s entrance. The lavender- haired boy stalked calmly after Sehun, before he was forced to throw up his arms in lieu of Junmyeon’s lethal water attack, the liquid flying at such high speeds that it left cuts on the boy. 

And then Jongdae saw Chanyeol, the fiery redhead flying halfway across the room, fire at his heels as he held up a man by his collar, fists steaming with heat and dangerously close to the other man’s face. Upon closer look, Jongdae made out sharp claws that swiped at Chanyeol’s face, forcing him to release his grip, but not fast enough to avoid the row of claw marks that lined across one cheekbone. 

“Hey!” Jongdae yelled impulsively, and gathered a ball of electricity in his hand, winding his arm back and pitching it like a baseball, aiming straight at the feline- looking man’s legs. 

Luckily, the attack caught the other one off guard, and the electricity shackled around his ankle, shockwaves rolling up the leg and paralyzing him momentarily. The shock was enough for Chanyeol to grab Kibum’s upper arm and send him tumbling into a table stacked tall with crates. 

Chanyeol raced to meet Jongdae, who immediately clasped his hand with Chanyeol’s before turning around, the two of them back- to- back. 

“Are you hurt?” Chanyeol asked, his eyes narrowed and darting around as they slowly revolved in a circle. 

“No, I’m fine. I just don’t know where that Jonghyun guy went. He’s got some kind of weird, black cloak or something that allows him to manifest wherever he likes. I’m not sure how it works,” Jongdae admitted, his stormy gray eyes flickering to wherever they detected movement. 

“Three o’ clock!” Chanyeol suddenly shouted, bending his upper torso over and locking his elbows with Jongdae, allowing the other to easily roll off his back and send a shocking line of electricity crashing down on their enemy.

Jonghyun very narrowly missed the attack and hit the ground rolling, his finely styled hair coming undone with the ends sticking up from the static attack. 

Jongdae and Chanyeol exchanged a look and a million and one thoughts passed between the two without a word. They charged at Jonghyun together, hands full of blazing fire and crackling energy, red and blue. Heat and ice. 

With no place nearby casting a shadow, Jonghyun was rendered defenseless and unable to escape via darkness. In a last ditch effort to minimize the inevitable blow, he threw his hands up in front of his face and a thin screen of black miasma condensed.

There was little mercy in the duo’s combined attack. Their powers s together like two deadly dragons, ripping through Jonghyun’s suit, fire at his skin while electricity surged throughout his body. The impact swept him off his feet, his body broken and badly burnt as he crashed into a wall, falling limply onto the ground like a discarded ragdoll. 

Jongdae and Chanyeol were both breathing heavily as they tried to recover from the combined attack. The fight had been short but had taken a toll on both their bodies. Not to mention Jongdae had already taken a beating with Jonghyun beforehand.  

“Come on,” Chanyeol said, pulling Jongdae’s arm as he sped toward the others, who seemed to be wrapping things up on their end as well. “I think we’re pretty much finished with these dirtbags.”

“I think Baekhyun’s with Yixing right now, so they must-”

Jongdae’s side suddenly exploded in fiery pain. His hands immediately went to clutch at it and when he pulled them away, they were coated in a dark substance that made his stomach churn and eyes water. 

“Jongdae!” Chanyeol screamed, momentarily forgetting to use the other’s code name. The redhead was pulling at Jongdae’s hands, trying to see his wound, but the other wouldn’t budge.

Neither one of them had noticed Kibum slowly standing up from where he was previously thought to be unconscious. He was breathing heavily and stood hunched over, one hand holding his waist, but the other hand was by his side, claws drenched in Jongdae’s blood with a scrap of his clothing stuck on them.

Jongdae could see the claws on Kibum’s left hand covered in his blood, the tips dyed a dark red. He willed himself to look away, for he was afraid he was going to faint if he had to look at his own blood any longer. Jongdae had always been uneasy around the stuff, and it was part of the reason why he’d gotten so good at training his ability, so as to avoid spilling any of his own. It just seemed today he’d finally tripped up.

“Stop it, Yeol, I’m fine! It’s fine!” He insisted. Lies. All lies. He felt like he was on the verge of passing out from the pain, but was too afraid to remove his hands and check the wound. 

“Oh, God, Jongdae- you,” Chanyeol stuttered, his hands hovering over Jongdae’s, shaking and unsure of what to do. Despite not being the one injured, his breaths came out heavy and labored, shaking with concern for his lover.

Jongdae coughed once and Chanyeol’s cheek was flecked with red. His eyes were wide as saucers and he cupped Jongdae’s pale face with both his hands, one thumb tenderly wiping a little trail of blood that had escaped the corner of his kitten lips. Chanyeol could feel his heart drop to his stomach and shatter into a million pieces when he saw the pain staining Jongdae’s eyes, delicate eyelashes struggling to hold in the tears that pooled in them.

“It really pains me to break up this touching moment,” Kibum cooed mockingly, deadly claws moving restlessly by his side, “but I’m a really busy person. I’m sure we all are. So why don't we ju-” His words were cut short and strangled in his throat when Chanyeol was suddenly in his face, large hands wrapped tightly around his neck, teeth bared and eyes blazing with murderous intent. 

It was quick and painless. It was more than what he deserved for the pain he’d inflicted on Jongdae. One moment Chanyeol was by Jongdae’s side and then the next he was on Kibum, fist pummeling into the other’s face endlessly. The redhead was screaming in outrage, his fists emblazoned with fire that left his enemy’s head nothing but a blackened and charcoaled crater on the cement floor. 

Chanyeol was still punching the blackened ground when the rest of EXO came over, their fights over and won. The fire manipulator had sweat pouring down his temples, knuckles bruised and bloody with the repeated attacks on the far- past- dead Kibum.

“Chanyeol, stop it, stop it!” Junmyeon ordered, grabbing at one elbow while Yifan grabbed the other.

The redhead was heaving heavily, teeth still bared in a hostile expression. He closed his eyes and let his head fall back, letting the world around him fall back. 

Jongdae… Jongdae was hurt. Just the thought sent another wave of heat over him and Yifan and Junmyeon yelped and let go of the man’s arms when they suddenly flared up in burning temperature. 

“Where… where is he?” Chanyeol said almost helplessly, looking around like a lost child. His heat stupor was gone, this head somewhat cleared and the fury gone from his eyes. 

He wanted Jongdae. He wanted to hold Jongdae. Where was he?

“Jongdae,” Chanyeol called out breathlessly, and Junmyeon slung his arm around his neck, helping the redhead trek across and the completely trashed warehouse. 

“He’s ok, Chanyeol. Jongin got him to Yixing just in time. He’s fine,” Junmyeon reassured the other, but it wasn’t until Chanyeol saw Jongdae laying across the ground, their group’s healer casting a warm, green glow over his body, that his shoulders finally sagged in silent assurance. 

“Chanyeol,” Jongdae’s eyes flickered to the man who sank to his knees and knelt by the other’s side, large hands completely encasing one of his small hands. 

“God, don’t ever scare me like that again,” Chanyeol said bitterly, eyebrows knit in his own pain, but still chuckling in relief. 

“He just came out of nowhere,” Jongdae sighed, relishing in the relief Yixing gave as the wound stitched itself back together slowly. 

“This is why I want to be by your side all the time. Twenty four hours, seven days a week,” Chanyeol said softly, pinching Jongdae’s nose playfully. 

He swatted the hand away, grimacing in pain at the small effort it took to raise his arm. 

“You’re stupid. You can’t protect me forever,” Jongdae said realistically. His eyes were downcast. 

“But I can try,” Chanyeol countered, and when Jongdae didn’t say anything back, he leaned in close, sealing his promise with a lingering kiss on the lips that burned sweetly and emblazoned itself a spot in Jongdae’s heart. 

Their lives were hard and full of uncertain routes and futures. But one thing was for sure, and it was that they had each other.