Offers & Announcements Part I

Good Girls and Bad Boys

Chapter Nine: Offers & Announcements Part I

Immediately following his conversation with Elise, Yi Jeong called Woo Bin.  There were a few things he needed to discuss with his closest friend…

Afterward, a very weary Yi Jeong went to bed.  Although he felt a bit better after speaking with Woo Bin, he was still highly concerned about tomorrow night—and the situation he’d suddenly found himself in the middle of.  Yi Jeong collapsed onto his bed, falling directly into the arms of sleep without sending his usual goodnight text to Ga Eul.

The Next Morning…

Ga Eul woke with the usual smile on her face.  She still couldn’t believe that she was here in Sweden--with Yi Jeong.  Well, she wasn’t with him now, exactly.  There was a warm body beside her, but it wasn’t Yi Jeong.  Instead, she had awoken to the sound of Jan Di softly snoring next to her.  Her best friend had wanted to come over and talk, and they’d ended up having a several-hour-long chat before falling asleep. 

Still, to be in the same city as the man she loved was indescribable…  

Ga Eul thought of her family.  She had begun to miss them and wondered how they were doing.  She decided to send them a message to check in. 

When she thought about her family, it also made her wonder when she would be sent home.  It was odd that Yi Jeong had not yet brought it up, and she had been postponing asking, but she did feel the need to know.  She’d make a point to ask him later today.

Then, Ga Eul recalled that today was the day of Yi Jeong’s museum benefit.  She was a bit nervous about attending, but she definitely wanted to support him.  She only hoped she would make a good showing there… 

Ga Eul glanced at the clock on the bedside table.  Yi Jeong had mentioned meeting for breakfast this morning at 9 AM, and it was already 8.  So, she nudged Jan Di.  When Jan Di only flopped over and clutched at her pillow, Ga Eul called her name softly.  Jan Di stirred but only groaned in her sleep and rolled over on her other side.  And she began to snore again.  Ga Eul sighed.  Rising a sleeping Jan Di was like trying to move a large boulder from its foundation

With a devious grin, Ga Eul shook Jan Di roughly, “Jan Di-ah, wake up, wake up!  It’s time to wake up!”

Jan Di’s eyelashes fluttered, and she began blinking sleepily.  “Whaaat?  OK, OK, I’m awake…,” she growled. 

Ga Eul grinned over at her bear of a best friend, stifling a laugh.  “We need to get up and get ready.”

“For what?” Jan Di mumbled, her eyelids still only half-open.  And she let out a yawn.   

“Well, we’re having breakfast with Yi Jeong and Ji Hoo Sunbae, and then tonight is the Benefit, so we need to prepare for that.”

Jan Di immediately sat up.  “Oh yeah!  Hey, what are we going to wear to that thing?”

With a sigh, Ga Eul replied, “I don’t know.” 

Ga Eul stared up at the ceiling, musing on what would be appropriate to wear, or if she even had anything suitable with her.  She didn’t think that she did, but she was sure that F2 wouldn’t allow them to walk into a fancy event without the proper attire.  

“Jan Di-ah, I wouldn’t worry.  I’m sure that Yi Jeong and Ji Hoo Sunbae will...”  But when Ga Eul turned back to Jan Di she noticed that she was lying face-down and again fast asleep. 

With a sigh, Ga Eul decided to get herself ready and allow Jan Di extra time to sleep.  She took a quick shower and dressed for the day.  As she went for the hair dryer, she heard a knock at the door.  Ga Eul let out a small gasp, as she wasn’t quite presentable.  Smoothing out her damp hair, she went to the door.  Before answering, she glanced to Jan Di, who was still sleeping soundly.  Not even the knock had woken her.

Ga Eul opened the door, but the person on the other side was not who she had expected to see at all.  “Woo Bin Sunbae?”

Looking dapper as ever, Woo Bin greeted her with a pearly smile.  “Good morning, Ga Eul-ah.”

“Wh-what are you doing here, Woo Bin Sunbae?”

Woo Bin grinned at the stunned girl before him, “I’m your wake-up call.”

Ga Eul smiled faintly, resigning herself to the fact that Woo Bin was choosing to be mysterious about why he was suddenly here in Sweden.  It seemed that everyone was joining the party.  The only one missing was Gu Jun Pyo.  Perhaps he would show up later, too.   

“Is Jan Di with you?” Woo Bin asked.  “Ji Hoo said he knocked on her door but she didn’t answer.”

“Yes, she’s here, but I’m having a little trouble waking her up…  We were up pretty late.”

Woo Bin chuckled.  “Well, wake her, and you girls get ready.  Today is a busy day, after all.  Yi Jeong had some business to attend to early this morning, but we’ll be back to pick you up in about an hour.”

“OK, but for what, Sunbae?”

“Well, we’re going to have breakfast, and then we’re going shopping.”  And Woo Bin winked at Ga Eul before heading back down the hall from whence he came.

As expected…  Of course, F4 wouldn’t allow them to go to a fancy event without first taking them shopping.   

Earlier that Morning…

Yi Jeong had been called into Mr. Andersson’s office early, so he sent Woo Bin—who had just arrived—over to check on the girls while he met with him. 

Upon arrival, Mr. Andersson sat tall in his leather office chair, sipping a cappuccino out of a fine china cup.  Rather than greeting Yi Jeong, Mr. Andersson simply asked if he would like a cup of coffee.  Yi Jeong politely turned it down.

“Have some,” Mr. Andersson insisted.  “There’s nothing like a strong cup of coffee to start the morning, and I assure you that there is nothing finer than this brand.”

Yi Jeong nodded.  “Alright, I’ll have some then, sir.”

“Good choice,” Mr. Andersson replied, and he buzzed for his secretary to bring a cup for his business associate.  Then, Mr. Andersson beckoned for Yi Jeong to take a seat.

Several minutes later, the secretary brought in the cup of coffee and handed it to Yi Jeong.  Yi Jeong admired the detail of the cup before taking a drink.  And the two men sat there in silence, momentarily enjoying the coffee.

Fifteen minutes later, Woo Bin returned to Ga Eul’s room with Ji Hoo.  Woo Bin knocked, and Ga Eul answered the door. 

“Ga Eul-ah, Ji Hoo and I are heading down to breakfast.  Did you have any luck waking Jan Di?” Woo Bin asked, grinning. 

Ga Eul sighed.  “Not yet,” and she turned to Ji Hoo.  “Ji Hoo Sunbae, you live with her.  Is there some special way of getting her up in the morning?”

Ji Hoo chuckled.  “If there is, I have yet to discover it.  I’ve had to intervene a few times when she didn’t wake up to her alarm, and it’s a struggle for sure.  And people say I like to sleep…” 

Ga Eul grinned, and Ji Hoo snuck a peek into the room.  A smile tugged at the corner of his lips when he caught sight of Jan Di—out cold and lying flat on her face with her arm flopped over the side of the bed like wet laundry on a clothesline.   

“Ga Eul-ah, could I speak with you?” Woo Bin asked. 

She nodded.  “Yes, Sunbae.”

“We’ll be right back,” Woo Bin said. 

Ji Hoo nodded.  “Meanwhile, I’ll try and wake our Sleeping Beauty…”

Woo Bin chuckled.  “Well, just don’t try waking her with a kiss, Ji Hoo-yah, or Jun Pyo will tear your head off,” he joked.  And Ji Hoo gave a sarcastic laugh in response.

Meanwhile…

“It’s sublime, isn’t it Yi Jeong?” Mr. Andersson asked after Yi Jeong had taken several sips of the rich brew.

“Yes, sir,” he replied.

“Just one of the many wonderful things about Stockholm.”

Yi Jeong nodded, “Yes, sir.”

“Speaking of which, how are you enjoying our fair city?”

“I’m greatly enjoying it, sir.  The city is quite lovely, and I’m amazed by the richness of the culture.”

Mr. Andersson nodded in approval.  “Feeling more like home now?”

“Well, it will never quite be that, sir.  But I am very comfortable here.”

“Mm,” Mr. Andersson took another drink and then set the cup down upon his desk. 

“Sir, forgive my forwardness, but may I ask why you called me in today?”

Mr. Andersson his silver-bearded chin.  “Yes, I realize your time is valuable, so I will get down to it.  Have you considered my offer from before?”

“I have, sir,” Yi Jeong replied immediately.

“And what is your answer?” Mr. Andersson drummed his fingers upon the desk as if Yi Jeong’s response was taking far too long.  

“Forgive my bluntness, sir, but I thought I’d already given an answer.”

Mr. Andersson smirked.  “You are quite forthright, aren’t you Yi Jeong So?”

Yi Jeong bowed his head slightly.  “I’m sorry, sir.  It is an incredible offer, but I must decline.” 

“And you are holding firm to that decision?”

Yi Jeong nodded.  “Yes, sir.”

Mr. Andersson folded his gently-aged hands together and leaned forward.  He stared at the younger man for a long moment before speaking, “You know, Yi Jeong, there is a saying, ‘I do not regret the things I have done but the things I did not do when I had the chance.’  I hope you don’t regret this decision…”

“I won’t, sir.  As I said, the offer is incredible and generous, but I know what I want in life.  And it’s not for me.” 

Mr. Andersson nodded slowly.  “What a pity…”  Then, he paused, placing a long, wiry finger up to his lips.  “If it’s because of the girl, perhaps we can work something out…”

“It’s not.  Well, it’s not just about her.”

“I see.”  And Mr. Andersson sighed.  “Well, as I see there is no convincing you then, you may go.  I’ll see you tonight at the Benefit.”

“Yes, sir,” and Yi Jeong stood and bowed. 

*** 

While Woo Bin and Ga Eul talked in the hallway, Ji Hoo entered Ga Eul’s room.  He smiled as he watched Jan Di roll over and give off a small sigh in the process.  Ji Hoo approached the bed and sat on the edge of it.  “Jan Di-ah,” he called out softly, “Time to wake up.”

“Mmm…  Just five more minutes, Ga Eul-ah,” she muttered in her sleep, hugging the pillow tight.

And I thought I was a heavy sleeper…

Ji Hoo’s grin widened.  “Come on, Sleepy Head.  It’s time to wake up,” and he nudged her.  Jan Di merely groaned and rolled onto her other side. 

Then, an idea presented itself to Ji Hoo.  Jan Di was very ticklish, so perhaps tickling her would do the trick.  He lightly slid his index finger along her side.  Jan Di squirmed and swatted his hand away.  “Ga Eul-ah, stop it!” she grumbled, her eyes still closed. 

“Wow, you are really out, aren’t you, Otter?” Ji Hoo commented aloud.  So, he tickled her again.  And again—being very cautious of where he touched her.  Jan Di began wriggling around more violently and shooing him away.

But he didn’t give up.    

Finally, Jan Di’s eyes shot open.  And Ji Hoo was staring down at her.  “S-sunbae!  What are you doing here?”

“Well, good morning, Sleepy Otter,” he greeted with an affectionate smile. 

Jan Di only scowled up at her tormentor.  “Sunbae, why did you do that?” she whined.

“Because you need to wake up.”

“Urggghhhh,” she rolled over and pulled the covers over her head. 

“I know the Otter is not a morning person, but it’s time to get up now.”  Ji Hoo pulled back the covers.  When she didn’t budge, he took her by the arm and began to tug lightly. 

Jan Di resisted him further, twisting onto her side.  So, he started to tickle her again.  “No, stop Sunbae!  Stop it!  You’re so mean!” she exclaimed.  

And Ji Hoo let out a laugh.  It was a cute, playful laugh—one that Jan Di didn’t often hear.  And it nearly melted her frosty gaze.  But she couldn’t let that deter her from her revenge.  So, fixing him with a withering stare, she vowed to fight back. 

When he came after her again, she pushed his hand away while reaching out to tickle him back with the other.  Ji Hoo performed an evasive maneuver, blocking her hand and then grabbing it.  But Jan Di yanked it away unexpectedly, pulling Ji Hoo onto the bed with her in the process.  He was partially on top of her, so she scurried out from under him. 

Ji Hoo paused, expecting her to be uncomfortable after he landed on top of her, but Jan Di didn’t.  And she reached out, poking a finger into his ribs.

When she did so, Ji Hoo lunged for her and caught her by the waist.  Jan Di squealed and tried to wriggle away, kicking her feet against the bed in the process.  And a tickle fight began.   

Oblivious to the slightly inappropriate nature of their play, the two wrestled around for a few more minutes.  It ended with Jan Di on her back and Ji Hoo on his knees, leaning over her and pinning her wrists down at her sides. 

Still catching his breath, Ji Hoo hovered over Jan Di.  “Do you surrender, Otter?” and he grinned down at her.  

Jan Di flopped around like a fish on dry land in his hold.  “Never!” 

Watching the adorable way Jan Di was struggling with all her might softened Ji Hoo, and he loosened his hold on her.  But just as soon as he did, Jan Di turned the tables on him.  She pushed him onto his side on the bed, sat up on her knees, and began mercilessly tickling his sides and stomach. 

Ji Hoo pretended to struggle for a moment, but he wasn’t really ticklish, so he stopped and just lay there.  When he resisted no further, Jan Di ceased her tickles and pinned his arms down.  Leaning over him she continued holding him down while beaming proudly in victory.  

Ji Hoo took in the sight of the woman he loved—her face lightly flushed from the activity and her hair tousled, hovering over him in bed.  And his breath caught in his throat.  If only the situation were different, he thought sadly.  Then, perhaps this scenario could lead to a kiss, or perhaps even more than that… 

But it was no use thinking about it.  As he’d told himself one-hundred-thousand times, at least, it could never be…      

“Well, do you surrender now?” she demanded, bringing him back from his little inner world. 

. . . 

“To you, always…,” he muttered in a low, sensual tone.  He hadn’t intended for it to come out quite like that. 

. . .

“S-sunbae…”

And it seemed that Jan Di finally realized the position they were in; she blushed and glanced away.  Releasing her grip on him, she shifted uncomfortably, but she didn’t attempt to move away.

Involuntarily, Ji Hoo’s hands traveled up her arms and rested upon her upper back.  He applied the slightest bit of pressure there.  Jan Di didn’t seem to offer any resistance, but instead, she did the strangest thing…

She began lowering herself toward him…

Ji Hoo felt his already active heart skip a beat and then begin to pound in his chest.  Instinctively, he began to press his fingers into her back, drawing her down.  As he watched a clearly mesmerized Jan Di moving closer and closer to him, Ji Hoo felt as though he had to be dreaming.   

As her face drew nearer, with his guidance, he uttered, “Jan Di-ah…” 

Saying her name—it was partially from being caught up in the moment and partially to question what was happening right now…  

“Sunbae…,” she responded breathily. 

Despite the wonderful havoc she was wreaking on him right now, the sound of her voice brought him back to reality. 

What am I doing? he lamented.  This is wrong, so very wrong! 

Why had he let it get this far anyway?  And Ji Hoo was prepared to stop this right now.    

But then, slowly, she began moving toward him again…  And her eyes fluttered closed—the universal sign that one was preparing for a kiss.  So, he proceeded…  He couldn’t seem to stop himself...  Why the hell couldn’t he stop himself?! 

Ji Hoo moved one hand up to cradle the back of her head, as he drew her in.  Jan Di’s eyes remained squeezed shut, but it looked more like she was in pain.  When he heard her give off a low, shaky breath, he stopped. 

But still, she didn’t try to escape.   

There she was—the girl of his dreams, frozen and waiting in his arms.  Their lips were mere inches apart.  She was so close that he could feel her breath upon his lips, and he wanted nothing more than to capture those pink lips with his own. 

It was the moment of truth now. 

. . .

But before Ji Hoo could decide what to do, he heard the door opening and the sound of voices entering the room. Immediately, Ji Hoo stopped, and—flustered—Jan Di pulled away.  But she pulled away so violently that she rolled over the edge of the bed.  Ji Hoo attempted to grab her but to no avail. 

“Jan Di!” Ji Hoo called out to her as she tumbled off the bed and landed with a thump on her side.   “Oof,” Jan Di grunted upon impact. 

Ji Hoo sat up and held out his hand to Jan Di.  “Jan Di!  Are you alright?”

She nodded, taking his hand but avoiding all eye contact.  And then they both looked toward the doorway, where Ga Eul and Woo Bin were standing and looking on in shock. 

“What were you two doing?” Woo Bin finally asked, clearly confused by what he’d seen.  

The statement ‘this isn’t what it looks like’ was far too suspicious—and not to mention, completely untrue.  For, it was what it looked like, exactly what it looked like.  He’d very nearly put the moves on his best friend’s girl, and Ji Hoo felt terrible. 

And right after his talk with Yi Jeong.  Right after he’d vowed to pull back so something just like this wouldn’t happen.  It was bitterly ironic.   

What had just happened, anyway?  Was he going out of his mind?  It was close, unbelievably close…  And Jan Di had seemed willing…  Was she out of her mind? 

If they hadn’t been interrupted, would they have gone through with it? 

Shaking the thought away, Ji Hoo replied, “Nothing.”

“Nothing!” Jan Di forcefully reiterated, as she stood and fake dusted herself off.

Ji Hoo also stood.  Jan Di crossed her arms over her chest and put a few extra feet of distance between them.

Placing a hand behind his neck and rubbing lightly, Ji Hoo cleared his throat.  “I was uh…trying to get Jan Di up.”

Ga Eul and Woo Bin simply continued to stare in disbelief.  And neither Ji Hoo nor Jan Di knew what to say further.  What possible explanation could they give?   

. . .

After a few highly uncomfortable seconds, Jan Di exclaimed, “I’ll…I’ll go and get ready now!”  And then she rushed out of the room, seeming completely discombobulated. 

Shortly afterward, F2 led the girls down to breakfast in the hotel restaurant, and Yi Jeong joined soon after, apologizing for the delay.  Yi Jeong put on his typical charming smile when Ga Eul greeted him, but she suspected that he was preoccupied with something.  She hoped the meeting this morning had gone well, but she didn’t want to pry by asking.   

It had been a strange morning, Ga Eul mused.  Woo Bin had cryptically taken her aside, seeming concerned for her welfare.  She’d assured him that everything was fine and questioned why he should ask how she was doing.  But Woo Bin only played it off as idle curiosity and she could get nothing further out of him.  Song Woo Bin was never a man to show his hand unless he wanted to, after all.  When she asked what brought him all the way to Sweden, Woo Bin had simply said that he planned to support Yi Jeong by attending the benefit.  Ga Eul supposed it was a good enough explanation. 

And then there was the Jan Di and Ji Hoo incident.  After the strange mishap this morning, they were acting rather awkward around one another.  Nothing too noticeable, but she could tell.  Jan Di was avoiding eye contact with him, and Ji Hoo was keeping his distance, but as breakfast wore on, they seemed to return more to normal. 

After a light breakfast of boiled eggs, smörgåsen with various toppings—cheese, cold cuts, and caviar—on crisp knäckebröd, and tea, the group took two hired cars to the high-end shopping district of Östermalm.  They walked along the street of Biblioteksgatan and into a store filled with designer fashions, which Yi Jeong had recommended.   

Yi Jeong spoke with a female store clerk in English, and they were escorted toward the back to a private dressing room area.  The shopkeeper excused herself and returned with an assistant, and both were carrying several dresses on hangers.   

The owner and her assistant spoke to them in English with thick accents, indicating that these were the latest Swedish fashions.  And then they nudged both girls behind red velvet curtains.  Yi Jeong, Woo Bin, and Ji Hoo all took seats across from the dressing rooms, while Jan Di and Ga Eul were instructed to try on the selections. 

Inside the dressing room, Ga Eul hung the first dress up and stared at it.  It was a royal blue, strapless floor-length gown with intricate silver embroidery down the front.  She ran her finger lightly along the spiral patterns, thinking that it was beautiful but perhaps a bit too much.  But then again, she had no idea what to expect from this event, and she certainly did not want to be under-dressed.  

Still, it felt like the kind of dress that should be on some runway model—certainly not on a common girl who worked in a porridge shop.  She could never do such a beautiful dress justice.  Regardless, she stepped into it and pulled it up, zipping the back as far as she could on her own before calling for help from the shopkeeper’s assistant.  Once zipped, she smoothed out the dress.  Giving one full turn in the mirror, she took a look at herself.  Then, she left the dressing room.      

Ga Eul exited first. 

As soon as she came out she was met with distinct approval.  Loudest was Woo Bin, who began clapping and whistling for her.  But it was Yi Jeong’s reaction that most interested her.  She had looked to him first, noticing that his eyes seemed to light up when he saw her.  He was looking at her in a way he had never quite looked at her before, and it pleased her greatly.  The sparkle in his eyes and look of admiration he cast her way made her feel warm all over, and suddenly she wished it was just the two of them there.  If it had been, perhaps he would even approach her and kiss her… 

As she shared an affectionate gaze with Yi Jeong, the assistant came over and wrapped a light blue shawl across her shoulders, saying, “To keep warm.” 

Ga Eul thanked her and looked again to the guys.  They were all smiles.   

Then, Jan Di came out.  She also wore a gorgeous strapless little number.  It was a shade of pale silver and dotted entirely by sequins. 

Woo Bin whistled and clapped again, and Ga Eul smiled at her best friend. 

Then, Ga Eul looked to Ji Hoo.  As bad as she felt for the quiet, auburn-haired man for his unrequited love, she still enjoyed seeing the way he looked at Jan Di.  She loved the purity of his affection for her. 

As expected, Ji Hoo was staring at Jan Di.  Somehow, it reminded Ga Eul of that moment when a groom sees his bride for the first time—the way his face is aglow with love and his lips part at the sudden welling of emotion.  And that was exactly how Ji Hoo was looking at Jan Di. 

Ga Eul looked back at Jan Di, who shyly glanced at Ji Hoo before casting her eyes downward.  And Ga Eul softly smiled at the sweet moment.  She was beginning to think that perhaps his feelings were no longer totally unreciprocated.  She really didn’t know what was going to happen anymore.  And she only hoped that things would somehow work out for the best—for everyone…     

“You look beautiful, Jan Di-ah,” Ji Hoo spoke affectionately, and she responded with a gentle smile. 

Ga Eul couldn’t help but notice Yi Jeong shooting Ji Hoo a look—clearly one of disapproval—but Ji Hoo just ignored it. 

“It itches,” Jan Di quietly commented in Korean.  “And…,” she took Ga Eul aside, whispering into her ear, “I feel like it’s not going to keep me covered up…”  Jan Di tugged at the bodice of her dress, pulling it up higher. 

Ga Eul bit her lip to keep from laughing.  “I’m sure it can be adjusted, Jan Di-ah,” she whispered back.  “But if it’s uncomfortable, then you don’t have to wear this one.”

Jan Di nodded and went back in to try on the next dress. 

After several attempts, the group came up with their final selections.  The guys gave their reactions to each of the dresses, clearly having their favorites—as indicated by their facial expressions and comments. 

A V-Neck, A-Line floor-length chiffon dress in a dusty rose color was chosen for Ga Eul because it complimented her skin color and body type. 

A black dress was selected for Jan Di because, as the store employees informed her, it was an elegant color and everyone wears black in Sweden.  Hers was a long, one-shoulder, A-Line satin gown. 

The girls snuck a quick peek at the price tags—when the employees weren’t looking—and exchanged a horrified expression, which F3 seemed to find amusing. 

With these final selections, the storekeeper and her assistant began fawning over the girls and exclaiming, “Vacker, vacker!” which Yi Jeong explained meant ‘beautiful’ in Swedish. 

“Do you need shoes?” the shopkeeper then asked in English. 

Yi Jeong nodded, and he and F2 followed the lady over to a perfectly aligned row of heels.  F3 scanned the row before selecting two pairs to match the girls’ dresses. 

Ga Eul was enjoying the day with her friends, but there was something bothering her.  She suspected that something wasn’t quite right with Yi Jeong.  Occasionally, she would sneak a glance at him without him noticing, and he would appear lost in thought, even seeming sad or worried…  What was on his mind?  It was going to eat away at her until she knew, so she would have to grab the first chance she got and ask him.  

The guys then selected wraps for the girls, to keep them warm in the frigid Stockholm winter weather while en route to the benefit.  They also selected a few accessories to go with the dresses, including a pair of long, white satin gloves for Ga Eul and black ones for Jan Di.  

F3 was an unstoppable force when it came to shopping—and dressing their girls.  And today was no exception.  At one point, both tried to protest all that was being lavished upon them, but the guys merely smiled and dismissed their objections.  

When Jan Di spoke up, suggesting that it was way too much, Ji Hoo reassured her.  “Don’t worry, Jan Di-ah.  It’s a special occasion.  How often does something like this come up?”

Jan Di supposed he had a point, but it did seem like similar events came up rather frequently with the Flower 4.  In fact, in the few short years she had known F4, Jan Di had worn more fancy outfits and jewelry than she ever thought she would in a lifetime.  She could only imagine how many more such events she was in for when she inevitably married Gu Jun Pyo…  That is, unless Madam Kang chose to hide her away…  

“And no dress is complete without jewelry,” Woo Bin added.  It seemed a funny statement coming from a man, Ga Eul thought, but they were F4, after all.  F3 stepped over to the counter to view a selection of necklaces and earrings below the glass.   

Yi Jeong chose a necklace for Ga Eul, and he went to her.  He unclasped it and stepped behind her.  “Ga Eul-yang,” he spoke softly, as he removed the wrap and brushed her hair lightly aside.  And he asked her to hold her hair up.  She did so until the shopkeeper brought her a clip to keep it in place.  Then, Yi Jeong slipped his hands around her neck to position the necklace.  The feel of his fingers lightly caressing her skin as he fastened the necklace was electrifying, and Ga Eul’s eyelashes fluttered.  After he placed the necklace, Yi Jeong rested his hands upon her bare shoulders for several seconds. 

He walked around to face her again.  “What do you think?”                                       

She took the necklace between her fingers and held it up to get a look at it.  It was a gold filigree necklace with a swirling lace motif. 

Ji Hoo decided that Jan Di’s dress looked better without a necklace, but he selected a lovely pair of diamond chandelier earrings for her. 

Having finally completed the ensembles, the group left—but not before Woo Bin had a chance to hit on the shopkeeper’s lovely assistant.

Next, they made their way to a small salon along the same street, and the guys instructed the stylists there on how they wanted the girls’ hair and makeup done. 

As Ga Eul’s hair was whisked up into an elaborate twisted bun, she recalled the first time Yi Jeong had taken her for a makeover.  It had been for the purpose of exacting revenge upon her ex-boyfriend, who had dumped her and insulted her after a double-date with Jan Di and Jun Pyo.

After shopping, F3 dropped off Ga Eul and Jan Di at the hotel to get ready. 

“We’ll be back for you at 6,” Yi Jeong said. 

“Yes.  Don’t allow your hair or makeup to get ruined now,” Woo Bin warned, and he tossed the girls a wink before leaving with his brothers. 

***

Ga Eul asked Jan Di if she would like to come to her room, so they could talk and help each other get ready.  Jan Di agreed.  She was actually hoping to have a conversation with her best friend about the unfortunate incident this morning—and her feelings about it—but she decided against it.  She needed more time to sort out her feelings on the matter.  And then she should probably discuss it with Ji Hoo Sunbae.  She was sure that would be Ga Eul’s advice anyway.   

While the girls readied for the benefit, they made casual conversation, and Jan Di was surprised that Ga Eul wasn’t bringing up this morning.  It did look bad—very, very bad.  And it was.  Jan Di was still horrified about it, in fact.  She and Ji Hoo Sunbae had almost kissed, and she felt like the worst person alive.    

But she didn’t want to deal with it right now.  She couldn’t deal with it right now.  She instead decided to focus upon Ga Eul.  It was a big night for Yi Jeong Sunbae, and she could tell that Ga Eul was feeling a bit nervous about it.  So, she did her utmost to ensure that Ga Eul was feeling nice and calm.   

Yi Jeong, Ji Hoo, and Woo Bin arrived on schedule to pick up the girls, dressed in their finest.  Yi Jeong wore the gray suit, complete with vest and scarf, that Ga Eul recognized from their first ‘fake date.’  And he had his bangs brushed down and across his forehead.  Lately, he had been slicking his hair back or spiking it, which she liked, but she still missed the way it was the first time she saw him—with wispy boyish bangs resting lightly on his forehead.  He looked much younger that way, more innocent.  Tonight, he was wearing it that way, and Ga Eul couldn’t stop smiling. 

Ji Hoo wore an old classic—his white suit with the black lapels, and he had a black handkerchief tucked inside the pocket.  Jan Di recognized it as the one he’d worn on Jun Pyo’s 20th birthday.  That night had been a blur of sadness for Jan Di, but looking back now, she recalled that Ji Hoo had looked handsome that night.  Just as he did then, he looked handsome now.  But thinking such a thing only increased Jan Di’s guilt, so she pushed the thought away.

As always, Woo Bin had to be unique—and stand out a bit.  He wore a navy-blue pinstripe and bowtie.  He looked on as Yi Jeong and Ji Hoo admired Ga Eul and Jan Di.   

Deciding to break the effervescent romantic tension in the room, Woo Bin spoke, “Well, shall we go?” 

“Yes,” Yi Jeong replied, and Ji Hoo nodded.  And they led the girls out to a limo parked in front of the hotel.

The group arrived at the Benefit, which was being held at the Grand Hotel in the Spegelsalen ballroom.  They entered together—Ga Eul on Yi Jeong’s arm and Jan Di on Ji Hoo’s, with Woo Bin at their side. 

As they walked in, Ga Eul scanned the room.  It was like walking into the Palace of Versailles, at least according to the pictures she’d seen in her history textbook.  The room was a beautiful, ornate mix of golds and reds, with round, elegant floral-lined tables, floor-to-ceiling bay windows, and a giant chandelier.  And there was a stage in the back.  Ga Eul happened to glance up and noticed mirrors on the ceilings.  And Yi Jeong informed them that the room was called the ‘Hall of Mirrors.’

They found their reserved seats at a table near the front and sat down.  Not long after they sat down, Mr. Andersson made his way over to the table.  He stood before them, scanning the persons there.  “Ah, so good of you to bring extra guests, Yi Jeong So,” Mr. Andersson commented.

With a nod and a bow, Yi Jeong began introducing his group of friends to the Swedish billionaire.  Ji Hoo and Woo Bin stood and bowed, and Jan Di did so from her seat.  When Mr. Andersson’s eyes settled on Ga Eul, he took her left hand.  Ga Eul stiffened when she felt him place a kiss upon her gloved hand.   “We meet again, young miss,” and he smiled a crooked smile.  “You look lovely.  It seems you clean up quite nicely.” 

Yi Jeong translated for her. 

And then Mr. Andersson turned back to Yi Jeong.  “Yi Jeong, please stop by my table in 30 minutes.  I’d like to discuss something with you.”

Yi Jeong nodded and then bowed.  Mr. Andersson took one last look at Ga Eul.  And then, expressionless, he turned and walked away.  

Jan Di glared after the museum tycoon as he walked away.  For some reason, she got a bad vibe from him.  His cold eyes and superior manner reminded her a little too much of someone she knew.  And she had a terrible flashback.  But despite the uncanny resemblance—at least in mannerism—Mr. Andersson seemed different from Madam Kang. 

Madam Kang was cold, ruthless, and degrading, but with her, it least it was clear when she disliked you—and when she was insulting you.  With Mr. Andersson, it was harder to tell. He seemed genuinely polite, but Jan Di had a bad feeling—like Ga Eul should watch her back.  Perhaps he was even more calculating than Jun Pyo’s mother... 

One thing was for certain, Jan Di didn’t like the way Mr. Andersson had been watching Ga Eul…  It was creepy…  Maybe she was just being paranoid, but she wouldn’t run the risk when Ga Eul was involved.  Perhaps she should discuss it with F3. 

A string ensemble had gathered onstage and began to play some light background music, and a waiter brought by a tray of champagne flutes.  The guys each took one and offered one to the girls.  Jan Di and Ga Eul refused and opted for the water already on the table.   

The entire table turned to look when a tall blonde woman wearing a flowing, off-the-shoulder, mint green ball gown walked into the room.  She stopped and took a look around the room before heading straight to F3’s table. 

When the Swedish beauty arrived at the table, the men all stood—a bit too readily—for Ga Eul and Jan Di’s liking. 

“Elise, you’re late,” Yi Jeong commented.  “That’s not like you.”  

“Yes, well, I was held up,” the leggy blonde replied.   

Elise turned her face slightly from the potter as if taking in her surroundings.  But it was clear to Yi Jeong that it was more than that.  And Yi Jeong observed the Swedish beauty.  Her appearance was flawless as usual, but something was amiss.  She didn’t appear her typical cool and collected self. 

Yi Jeong simply nodded, deciding to let it go, and he introduced her to the group.  Ji Hoo bowed gallantly to her.  And Woo Bin smoothly took her creamy, delicate hand in his and placed a kiss upon it.  Seeing the Swedish bombshell up close, the Don Juan rather wished he’d asked Yi Jeong to teach him some Swedish pickup lines.  But alas, that was not the case, so he opted for complimenting her beauty in English.

“And you remember my girlfriend, Ms. Ga Eul Chu.”

“Yes, of course.  Hello,” Elise greeted flatly.    

Ga Eul put on a smile and bowed.  “Good evening, Miss Elise.”

“Would you like a drink, Elise?” Yi Jeong asked

“No, but could I speak with you, Yi Jeong?  Please…” 

Yi Jeong looked to Ga Eul, and she nodded.  “Excuse me.” 

Casting one last glance back at Ga Eul, Yi Jeong began walking off with Elise.  When they were halfway across the dance floor, she stopped.  Her eyes shot toward the main doorway, and her lips parted.  “Oh my god.”

“What?”

Elise was staring at the entrance.  “He’s here,” she motioned.  

“That’s him?” Yi Jeong sneered.   

“That’s him,” she nodded.  

“I can’t believe he would have the nerve to show up…,” Yi Jeong seethed.

“I can.  After all, since you turned my father down, he’s going to get the position.  Of course he’s here,” and Elise glared.  “Look how smug he is.”

“Elise, I’m sorry, but I just can’t accept it.”  

Without looking at him, she replied, “I understand.”  And he could hear the hurt in her voice.

“But I’ll do everything I can to prevent him from getting it,” Yi Jeong whispered.  “I promise.”    

Elise heaved a sigh.  “Thank you.”

Elise and Yi Jeong closely eyed the tall man who had just entered.  He was dressed in an expensive black suit—the latest designer fashion.  He crossed the room in stride, and the women he passed all turned to look at him.  For, he was a handsome man, with wavy brownish-blonde hair, sea green eyes, and a killer smile.  They watched him make his way over to Mr. Andersson’s table first, smile, and shake his hand.  The two men exchanged a few words, and Mr. Andersson laughed boisterously at a joke he made.

Yi Jeong watched Elise stare hard at the man, while he made conversation with her father.  Then, he turned, and their eyes met. 

At that, Elise demanded, “Let’s go, Yi Jeong,” and she quickly made her way across the room.  Yi Jeong followed right behind.    

But it was then that the man headed their way, and he stepped into their path.  They stopped to face their human barricade.   

“Well, hello, Elise,” the man greeted, and he flashed her a pearly smile.

Erik,” she spoke through gritted teeth.  And Yi Jeong noticed that Elise was practically trembling.     

Still smiling, he added, “It’s nice to see you again, Elise.  You’re looking lovely tonight.”

Elise gave a sardonic smile.  She’d already told Yi Jeong the story of the man before them, but to keep up appearances, she introduced the two.  With a stiff formality, Elise presented the man as an old acquaintance, Erik Karlsson.

Erik Karlsson reached out a hand to Yi Jeong, and he reluctantly accepted it.  Gripping hard and wishing he could crush the bones of that hand, Yi Jeong shook it. 

Ga Eul watched the display across the room from her seat.  It was clear to her—even from a distance—that Yi Jeong was trying to keep his temper at bay.  She could easily tell because his jaw was clenched, and his whole body had stiffened.  Why was Yi Jeong so angered by this man? 

“Who is that?” Jan Di asked, tapping Ga Eul on the arm.    

“I don’t know,” Ga Eul replied. 

Then, Jan Di turned curiously to Ji Hoo and Woo Bin.  Ji Hoo shook his head, but Woo Bin said nothing and merely observed the interaction like a hawk. 

The string ensemble began a new piece—a waltz.  And Mr. Karlsson held out a hand to Elise.  “Would you like to dance?” the Swedish man asked of a clearly uncomfortable and practically boiling Elise.

Elise’s sky-blue eyes shot to Yi Jeong, silently pleading for help. 

Unable to stand the desperate look she was giving him, Yi Jeong spoke up.  “Forgive me, Mr. Karlsson, but I was just about to dance with Elise here.  Perhaps you could have the next one.”

Mr. Karlsson thinned his lips.  “Very well then.  Enjoy…”  He waved a hand and stepped to one side, allowing them to go on their way. 

Yi Jeong gave the slightest of nods before leading Elise to the middle of the dance floor.  He placed a hand upon her waist and took her other hand, and they began to dance. 

It was a formal dance, so they weren’t very close to one another.  But as Ga Eul watched, it jabbed at her heart.  He hadn’t even asked her to dance yet, and then there was also the fact that he’d requested a dance only after the other man had. 

Did he not want the other man to dance with Elise?  Was Yi Jeong jealous of this other man?  Ga Eul’s heart ached to think so—because that would mean that he had feelings for Elise…  And that couldn’t be…  After all, Yi Jeong had reassured her that Elise was just a friend, and he’d told her numerous times that he loved her. 

Ga Eul didn’t want to be the type of girlfriend who gets jealous, but the way Yi Jeong had been glaring at that man, and his actions…  It all pointed to one unmistakable fact—that Yi Jeong had a problem with this man.  And it was obvious why.  This man was most likely an old boyfriend of Elise’s, and Yi Jeong was jealous…        

Squeezing her hands within her lap, Ga Eul watched the two of them dance…   

Jan Di looked worriedly to her friend and placed a hand upon her shoulder.  When Yi Jeong and Elise first started dancing, Jan Di had gaped in horror, and Ga Eul was surprised that the Wonder Girl hadn’t raced across the room and yanked the two apart.  Ga Eul appreciated her best friend’s concern, and she tried to fake a smile, but it was no use.

She couldn’t seem to look away from it, but not wanting to stare either, Ga Eul picked up the glass of water in front of her.  Glimpsing the couple on the dance floor out of the corner of her eye, she took a long, thoughtful sip of her water.

While Yi Jeong and Elise Andersson danced, Ji Hoo and Woo Bin had slipped away from the table and were talking privately in a corner on the far side of the room.  Occasionally, they would glance back at the girls.  

“I wonder what they’re talking about?” Jan Di mused aloud.   

“I don’t know,” Ga Eul replied, shaking her head. 

And Jan Di’s brow furrowed in suspicion.  “Something seems weird…,” she muttered. “I think there’s something they’re not telling us…”   

Ga Eul said nothing, but she sensed it, too.  Something was not right about this night at all…

As the musical piece was coming to a close, Jan Di noticed Ji Hoo step away from Woo Bin and make his way onto the dance floor.  Her lips parted in shock when she saw him tap Yi Jeong on the shoulder to cut in with Elise.  

. . .

“May I cut in?” Ji Hoo asked, and Yi Jeong nodded.  Resting a hand briefly on Yi Jeong’s shoulder, he whispered, “Talk to her.”   

Again, Yi Jeong nodded.  As the music began again and Ji Hoo danced with Elise, Yi Jeong returned to the table. 

Ga Eul watched Jan Di tapping her fingers nervously against the table, while watching Ji Hoo danced with Elise. 

“Are you alright, Jan Di-ah?” Ga Eul asked.

“Hm?”  Jan Di turned back abruptly.  “Yes, of course!” she replied with an overly enthusiastic nod. 

Ga Eul sighed and looked out onto the dance floor again.  And she noticed Yi Jeong approaching.  She attempted a casual smile—that came off more nervous—and then took another drink of water.

Yi Jeong arrived at the table seconds later.  He leaned down toward Ga Eul.  “Could I see you privately?” he whispered as his fingers brushed against her bare shoulder.  Ga Eul felt a pleasant shiver run the course of her body at his feather-light touch.  But keeping her cool, she simply nodded. 

“Will you be OK, Jan Di?”  Ga Eul asked, hesitating.    

“Of course, go on!” and she waved her best friend off. 

Then, Yi Jeong gently took Ga Eul’s small hand in his and pulled her up.  He politely excused the two of them and led her away.  He led her out of the banquet room and into the hallway.  And he led her even further down a corridor until they found a spot devoid of lingering guests.

. . .

Releasing Ga Eul’s hand, Yi Jeong moved to stand before her.  She looked deep into his eyes as he faced her silently. 

Still feeling on edge, she asked, “Yi Jeong-ah, what’s this about?” 

Yi Jeong gazed upon her for another few seconds.  Worry had quickly etched itself upon her face.  Staring into her eyes, he spoke sincerely, “I’m sorry about that in there.”

“No, it’s OK.”

“No, it’s not.  I should have asked you to dance first, and I…I wanted to, but…,” and he seemed to give up explaining.  “I’m sorry,” he repeated.

“It’s OK.”

“Ga Eul-yang,” he began. 

“Yes?”

And then Yi Jeong smiled—the one she had never been able to resist.  One corner of his mouth twitched first and then the other followed along, in his trademark way.  “Do you know how beautiful you look tonight?”

Ga Eul’s lips curled up.  Lowering her head slightly, she shook her head in response. 

Briefly, she wondered if he had brought her all the way out here just to apologize and say that.  But then, he held his hand out to her. 

Staring down into her dark eyes, he asked, “Would you like to dance?”

Here?” 

“Yes, it’s more…romantic.  Don’t you think?”

Ga Eul felt her uneasiness melting away, and she nodded readily. 

. . .

It was quieter in the hallway, but they could still hear the beautiful music of the string ensemble floating through the walls from the next room.  A new piece had just begun after a brief interlude.  It was another classical piece—a slow, romantic one. 

Taking her gloved hand in his, Yi Jeong placed a kiss upon it before positioning it up and out to the side.  He placed his other hand at her waist.  Instinctively, Ga Eul rested her right hand upon his broad shoulder, and he began to lead her around the ornate hallway.  His posture was perfectly straight and his movements graceful, and Ga Eul did her best to mirror his movements. 

As they twirled around the hall together, Ga Eul couldn’t help but feel like a princess dancing with the handsome prince at the ball.  And she felt herself drifting off into a beautiful fantasy land…     

Meanwhile, Yi Jeong took in the starry-eyed beauty—staring long and hard at her, as if she was a masterpiece come to life before his eyes.  He had come to greatly appreciate her natural loveliness—unhindered by makeup—but tonight she possessed a different kind of beauty.  Looking upon her now, he couldn’t help but find her to be absolutely regal. 

With one smooth movement, Yi Jeong tucked his hand around her back and pulled her closer, pressing their cheeks lightly together. 

And Ga Eul gasped lightly at their sudden closeness and the feel of his cleanly shaven cheek against hers. 

It was Step Four of the Five-Step Kill, but he wasn’t playing the role of Casanova right now.  He simply wanted her closer.  For this dance, there was meant to be more distance between the partners, but he didn’t care.  He simply wanted her as near as possible for as long as possible.   

. . .

Jan Di sighed and rested her cheek in her hand as she watched her sunbae twirl the Swedish beauty around the dance floor.  Feeling pathetic, she turned her gaze toward the doorway where Yi Jeong and Ga Eul had exited.  And she wondered what they were talking about.  She briefly considered eavesdropping, but she’d been enough of a burden this trip, so she refrained. 

When the waiter passed with another tray of champagne flutes, Jan Di took one.  She took a big gulp and made a face.  She wasn’t used to drinking, after all.

“Not a fan of champagne, eh, Otter?”

Jan Di’s head snapped up to see Ji Hoo standing over her, smiling. 

She chuckled awkwardly.  “I guess not.  Ya, what happened to…?” and Jan Di looked out on the dance floor.  Woo Bin was now dancing with Elise Andersson.

“Tired of dancing already, Sunbae?” Jan Di quipped, looking away from him.  She immediately realized how jaded it came out, and she hadn’t intended that.  Feeling slightly humiliated, she forced down another gulp of the bubbly alcohol.

No,” he replied, “…I just wanted to dance with you instead.”

Jan Di felt a brief spike in her heart rate, and she looked up at him with large doe eyes.  “Really?”

Ji Hoo flashed his flawless smile.  “Of course, silly otter.  So…would you do me the honor?” and he held out a hand to her.    

Jan Di was tempted to say no, for she was still reeling over the mishap from this morning, and now, the bitter poison of jealousy was coursing through her veins.  She just couldn’t help feeling a bit…irritated that he had chosen to dance with Elise first…  And he had danced so closely with her…  She knew it was wrong to feel this way, but she couldn’t help it…

Still, his smile always melted her doubts away, even if only in the short-term.  And she couldn’t say no to it.  So, she took his hand. 

He guided her onto the dance floor and positioned his hands.  And they began to dance.       

. . .

Yi Jeong held his girlfriend close while they swayed together in the hall—closer than she suspected the dance called for.  But she didn’t care…    

His cheek pressed against Ga Eul’s flushed one, Yi Jeong whispered, “I’ll miss having you here with me, Ga Eul-yang…”

His sudden choice of words made Ga Eul pull away, and she looked somberly upon him.   

With a sigh, Yi Jeong took Ga Eul’s hands.  “There’s something I need to say,” he began tentatively.

Ga Eul sadly pursed her lips.  “I know,” she said.

“You know?” Yi Jeong questioned. 

“Yes,” Ga Eul paused.  “…I could tell that there was something on your mind all day.  I knew there was something you needed to say but couldn’t seem to.”   

Yi Jeong released a soft sigh.  “You’re so perceptive, Ga Eul-yang.” And he brought one hand up to the side of her cheek. 

Unable to stand it any longer, Ga Eul asked directly, “What is it?” 

“Well, first of all, I need to send you back.  Tomorrow morning, first thing.”

Ga Eul’s face fell.  “Tomorrow?” she asked incredulously.  Oh, she knew it had to end sometime, but it was just so…sudden.

I’m sorry, Ga Eul-yang, but it’s for your own good… 

“Yes.  I should have sent you back sooner, in fact.  And I shouldn’t have brought you here…,” he mumbled almost sorrowfully.   

He looked regretful, and it hurt, badly.  Did she somehow embarrass him?  Why did he wish he hadn’t brought her tonight?  Ga Eul felt tears rapidly begin to form, but she did her best to fight them off.

Sullenly, she nodded, “I understand.”  But her heart twisted like a wrung-out towel.  She tried to contain it, but slowly, her pain began slipping through, “I suppose I have been a burden.  I know you’re busy—”

“It’s not that.  And you’re never a burden, Ga Eul-yang.  Don’t think that way.”

“Then what is it?” she asked.  Taking a page from her best friend’s life, Ga Eul put on her bravest face. Jan Di’s strength had always been an inspiration to her, and she wanted to be like that, too. 

“Please, just tell me the truth.  I can handle it.”  When he hesitated, she added, “I’m stronger now, remember?”

And she was stronger now, after all.  Yi Jeong had ensured that…  

Yi Jeong smiled faintly.  He loved so many things about Chu Ga Eul, and her spunk was one of those things.  She was speaking in her most courageous voice, yet there was a fear behind those warm, chocolate eyes.  Her eyes always gave her away, no matter how strong she tried to be.  And it hurt him to see.  “I remember,” he said wistfully.   

. . .

“Ga Eul-yang, I need you to promise me something.”

“Promise?  Promise what?”

Yi Jeong took both of her hands in his again.  "I need you to promise me that no matter what happens tonight," he paused, while slowly releasing his breath, "that you'll trust me...and not run away from me."   

Pulling away, Ga Eul blanched at his cryptic statement.  “Wh-what?” she stammered, once finding her tongue again, “…Why…why would I...?”  Then growing bolder, she demanded, “What’s going on, So Yi Jeong?”

He was scaring her…

Yi Jeong sighed and took her hands in his.  “I can’t explain it all now, but please just promise me.”

. . .  

“OK…  I promise.”

. . .

***To Be Continued***

A/N: I cut it off sooner than intended, but I really wanted to get it out, and I have a terrible headache, so I just couldn’t edit anymore…  But hey, you’re getting a long teaser.  So yeah, don’t hate me, and I hope you’ll trust me.  Keep in mind that things are not always as they seem…   

Smörgåsen: An open-faced sandwich, common Swedish breakfast item

Knäckebröd: Bread

Förlåt: Sorry, in Swedish

Teaser for Next Chapter (I’m trying out a different type of teaser, with some lines from my next chapter):

Babo!” Yi Jeong berated himself as he rushed out the back and into the hallway.  He should have told her!  He should have explained everything to her, but he didn’t want her involved in this.  And until tonight, he had hoped there was another solution…  Frantically pushing himself past several benefit patrons with only a cursory ‘excuse me,’ he headed in the direction he’d seen Ga Eul go. 

. . .

Ga Eul ran as fast as she could down the corridor, with one shoe on and tears in her eyes…  It couldn’t be true!  It couldn’t be happening!  Practically blinded by her tears, she kept running...  She didn’t know where she was going, but she just needed to escape! 

Just then, a voice behind her made her stop dead in her tracks.  The voice was sickeningly sweet as syrup, yet chilling to the bone.  “Where is Cinderella going?” the man spoke in what she could only assume was Swedish. 

Ga Eul spun around to confront the one who had caught her—and who now held her heel in the palm of his hand.  “Where is Cinderella going?” he repeated in English.  “After all, it is not yet midnight…” 

. . .

As Jan Di ran out of the ballroom, she felt a hand grasp onto her by the crook of her arm.  The sudden force pulled her back, and her adrenaline was such that she spun around, nearly slamming into Ji Hoo’s chest.  “Let me go, Sunbae!” she demanded immediately.  “I need to go after Ga Eul!”

“Wait, Jan Di.  Let him talk to her.”

“NO!  He doesn’t deserve to talk to her after what he did!  How could he do this to Ga Eul?!  I’m going to kill him, Sunbae!  I’m really going to kill him this time!” Jan Di asserted, clenching her fists hard at her sides. 

“Wait, there’s more to this than you know, Jan Di.”

. . .

Ji Hoo’s heart leaped into his throat.  If they were discovered eavesdropping, it would be bad, very bad. Ji Hoo was not so worried for himself, but Jan Di was with him.  And he absolutely could not allow her to be in danger.  He had to do something!  He needed to think fast! 

Turning toward Jan Di, Ji Hoo moved in closer, pressing her against the back of the closet wall.  Jan Di’s eyes widened, “S-sunbae?”

“Jan Di-ah, do you trust me?” he asked in an insistent whisper. 

She only hesitated a split-second before nodding.

Without another thought, Ji Hoo pulled Jan Di into his arms.  Jan Di felt her heart speeding out of control as she heard the doorknob twisting and simultaneously saw Ji Hoo’s face moving closer to hers…

Forgive me, Jan Di-ah…  I just want to protect you…