Obsession Part II

Good Girls and Bad Boys

Chapter Five: Obsession Part II

Ga Eul rushed out of the library, horrified and furious that Sang-Woo would have the nerve to answer her phone and say such things to her boyfriend. He had absolutely no right to do so! She clutched the handbag that rested on her shoulder tighter, as she speed-walked across the university campus. After several minutes, she pulled out her phone. She needed to explain and apologize to Yi Jeong for the way Sang-Woo had treated him.

Ga Eul dialed Yi Jeong's number; she began biting her lip lightly as it rang. And then it went to voicemail. "Ahh," she grumbled. And she left a brief message, simply asking him to give her a call back when he got the chance.


Later that morning…

After some failed attempts at connecting with each other, Ga Eul decided to try Yi Jeong once more before her noon shift at the porridge shop. She dialed his number, knowing that chances were high that he would be fast asleep and that she would get his voicemail. She waited, preparing herself for what she would say in her message. But then there was an answer…

Ga Eul smiled when she heard the sleepy voice of Yi Jeong greet her on the other end. "Yi Jeong-ah…I'm so sorry to wake you…," she said softly.

"Oh, Ga Eul-yang...," he muttered drowsily, "No, no, I'm glad you called… How are you?" She heard him let out a little yawn and roll over, and her smile grew wider. He was obviously not prepared for her call, but she could tell that he was indeed happy to hear from her.

Though she felt badly for waking him, there was something completely adorable and even a bit…y…about his morning voice—it was deep and raspy at this hour... Ga Eul flushed at the thought.

And she could just picture him now... She imagined his hair slightly disheveled and his eyes only partially opened… And he would be at his least…cool…of course, but that didn't matter to her. In fact, she felt as though she was speaking to the true So Yi Jeong now—the man she had fallen in love with…

"I'm fine, Yi Jeong-ah. I have to go to work, but I just…wanted to tell you how sorry I am about what my classmate Kim Sang-Woo said to you… I feel completely awful about it…"

"No, don't feel awful, Ga Eul-yang…"

"I don't know what exactly he said to you, but whatever it was, Yi Jeong-ah, it meant nothing! It was all nonsense, I'm sure of it! And he had absolutely no right to answer my phone and talk to you, and I told him off about it… And I'm so, so sorry, Yi Jeong-ah!" she uttered in remorse.

"For what, Ga Eul-yang? It wasn't your fault…"

"Well, I'm sorry for not telling you about him before… But he's just someone I went to school with years ago and that I am in class with again now. We were just working on a paper together, and I only went to his home to drop off some materials for him… He invited me in for tea, and I agreed, only to be polite, and then I stupidly left my phone! I'm so sorry..., Yi Jeong-ah, please forgive me," she begged.

Yi Jeong smiled faintly on his end. "There's nothing to forgive, my love…I'm just so relieved that you're OK. I was worried…"

Ga Eul flushed at the 'my love' title. She smiled widely and bit down on her lip. "Yi Jeong-ah... Gomawo…and mianhae for making you worry…" She pulled out the infinity knot necklace and gazed upon it.

Yi Jeong paused on the other end before speaking again. "There's actually something I wanted to tell you, too, Ga Eul-yang…"

"Oh! Yi Jeong-ah, I'm so sorry to cut you off, but I'm at work now! Aigoo, it's a madhouse in here!" Yi Jeong could hear the sounds of bustling and then the loud clang of a pan being dropped against the floor.

Yi Jeong sighed and nodded on his end. "That's OK. We'll talk soon, Ga Eul-yang. Goodbye…"

"Goodbye!" she said and hung up.


Later that day…

Kim Sang-Woo had been frantically attempting contact since the incident, in order to make amends with Ga Eul, but she had been avoiding him. After some deliberation, she'd decided to face Sang-Woo and tell him that she couldn't work with him anymore and that she was going to complete her own paper, alone. Ga Eul had told Jan Di and Master the whole story, and they agreed with her on her decision. Ga Eul planned to tell Sang-Woo after work.

Just then, the bell on the door of the shop jingled. Ga Eul ceased wiping down a table and turned to greet the patron. And she was suddenly staring into the face of Kim Sang-Woo.


"Ga Eul-ssi…," he uttered. He was unkempt and his face was contorted in pain.

Ga Eul's lips parted. "Kim Sang-Woo-ssi…," she greeted formally, "What are you doing here?" her tone of voice was cold and distant. Jan Di and Master simultaneously turned to watch the interaction.

"Ga Eul-ssi, I'm so sorry for what I did…," he moved toward her, and Ga Eul instinctively backed up until she slammed into the counter. "But I only did it for you…"

"For me?" her brow wrinkled.

"Yes, for you! I couldn't let him hurt you! So, please forgive me and stop avoiding my calls!"

Ga Eul and Master looked between each other.

"You had no right to do what you did…it was none of your business," Ga Eul spoke firmly.

"I know…but Ga Eul, hear me out!" Sang-Woo rushed to Ga Eul. The few customers in the shop were all staring. Ga Eul glanced over at the customers, then to Jan Di and Master, and then back to Sang-Woo,

"Sang-Woo, I'm working. You need to go. I'll talk to you later."

He shook his head and approached. "Just give me five minutes. We can go outside and talk…"

Then, Master stepped forward and blocked Sang-Woo's path to Ga Eul. Choon-Sik clenched his jaw, put out a hand, and stared at Sang-Woo.

"Excuse me, but as the owner of this establishment, I'm going to have to ask you to leave," Choon-Sik demanded, unflinching.

"I'll leave, I promise, but first I have something to say!" Sang-Woo pushed past Master and went to Ga Eul. He stood before Ga Eul, pleading with dark eyes.

"I don't want to hear anymore. And I have nothing more to say to you, Kim Sang-Woo… You're forgiven, if that's what you need to hear from me, but I don't want to see you anymore… So, please go." Ga Eul said.

"No, don't say that, Ga Eul-ssi…please!" he practically whimpered, clasping his hands together. Ga Eul turned away.

Jan Di tightened and clenched her fists hard at her sides. She moved resolutely forward to stand next to Master—now she was also between Ga Eul and Sang-Woo. "Hey you!" Jan Di pointed a finger at Sang-Woo. "You have a lot of nerve! Now, you need to leave my friend alone! She was trying to be nice, but you pushed her. She has a boyfriend, and they are happy, but you just can't seem to accept it. But you have to! Ga Eul said she doesn't want to see you anymore, so you need to respect that!"

Sang-Woo's pathetic expression instantly twisted into one of anger. He tightened his jaw. "Happy?" he scoffed. "What do you know about being happy?!"

Jan Di's lips parted.

"Oh yeah, I know all about you Geum Jan Di…we used to be in school together, remember… You used to have some principles, but as soon as you went to Shinwha you changed…and now you're in F4's pocket!" Sang-Woo scoffed, "…You're just as deluded as my poor Ga Eul…"

Ga Eul's brow furrowed. And Jan Di clenched her jaw.

"No, maybe even more so…dating someone like Gu Jun Pyo… I mean, at least with So Yi Jeong, I understand why girls like him…," Sang-Woo said, disgruntled, "But Gu Jun Pyo…that guy is the biggest jackass I've ever seen!"

"Ya!" Jan Di clenched her fists hard at her sides and took a step forward, prepared to now defend both her boyfriend and her best friend. She raised her fists. But Sang-Woo just growled and roughly shoved her aside to get to Ga Eul.


"Hey!" a male voice shouted out. The doorbell jingled, as the door to the shop swung open, and in walked Ji Hoo, with Woo Bin right behind. They all turned to F2, and Master's eyes lit up. Apparently, the valiant duo had impeccable timing, as usual.

Ji Hoo clenched his jaw and approached Sang-Woo resolutely. "Don't shove her!" he commanded.

"Oh good, your other F4 boyfriend is here, Geum Jan Di…," Sang-Woo jeered, and Jan Di simply stared at Sang-Woo. "What do you two see in these guys, really?" Sang-Woo threw up his hands in disbelief. "Oh sure, I get it…looks and money, right?"

Ji Hoo glared at Sang-Woo, and he quickly stepped between him and Jan Di. Woo Bin moved to position himself beside Ji Hoo and in front of Ga Eul.

"Are you alright, Jan Di?" Ji Hoo glanced to her, verifying that she was not hurt in any way. Ga Eul and Jan Di stood together, a few feet back from F2.

Jan Di nodded. "I'm fine, Sunbae."

Then, Ji Hoo turned back to fully face Sang-Woo. Sang-Woo tried to move forward, but Ji Hoo put a hand out, pressing his fingers hard into Sang-Woo's chest and giving him a shove. "Back off…," Ji Hoo warned in a low, cold tone of voice.

"Yoon Ji Hoo," Sang-Woo practically spat the name, "This is none of your business, so stay out of it!"

"I can't do that," Ji Hoo stated firmly, "It is my business now. You're messing with two of my dear friends, so it has become my business..."

Woo Bin folded his arms tight across his chest beside Ji Hoo. "That's right. And you're awfully bold...," he commented, "Speaking of us in such a way, as if you know us…"

"I know you…," Sang-Woo turned toward Woo Bin and sneered.

"Who the hell are you, anyway?" Woo Bin demanded.

Sang-Woo scoffed. "You don't remember me? I'm not surprised...you F4 have always been so self-involved…"

Ji Hoo folded his arms and studied Sang-Woo for a moment. "I remember you…" Woo Bin looked to Ji Hoo. "From that club, right?"

Sang-Woo nodded. "That's right...good memory, Yoon Ji Hoo…," he shot Ji Hoo a dirty look.

"But why are you bothering our friends and disturbing this place of business?" Ji Hoo demanded.

Sang-Woo scoffed. "I just wanted to talk to Ga Eul!"

"Well, she doesn't want to talk to you, Kim Sang-Woo! She asked you to leave!" Jan Di interjected, as she moved around Ji Hoo and toward Sang-Woo. Ji Hoo caught her by the arm to stop her.

Ji Hoo tightened his jaw and released Jan Di. He took another step forward, once more putting himself between Sang-Woo and Jan Di. "You heard her. I think you should leave now," Ji Hoo spoke in a calm, yet firm voice.

Sang-Woo's chest began to rise and fall heavily. He looked over at Ga Eul, who was avoiding eye contact with him.

When Sang-Woo didn't make any move toward the door, Woo Bin stepped forward. "Well? You heard them… What are you waiting for? Are you going to go on your own…or shall we take this outside…?" Woo Bin's voice was low and menacing…

Sang-Woo hesitated, but only for a moment. "Song Woo-Bin…," Sang-Woo scoffed. "Do you plan on hitting me? You always resort to violence, don't you?"

"Not always…," Woo Bin gave him a venomous smirk. "But I don't hesitate to when I feel it's necessary… You know…," Woo Bin stepped closer to Sang-Woo and tilted his head to the side, "I think I do remember you now… Didn't I hit you before?"

Sang-Woo glowered at Woo Bin. "That's right. Finally you remember, Song Woo Bin… You did hit me before…you broke my nose, actually, and I had to have surgery. And that was right after your buddy So Yi Jeong stole my girlfriend!" Sang-Woo shouted. "So, thanks for that…," he sneered.

Jan Di, Ga Eul, and Master all stared at Sang-Woo. They looked between him and Woo Bin for explanation.

Woo Bin thought back for a moment. "Well, I'm sorry about the nose, but if I recall, you were asking for it... And Yi Jeong stole your girlfriend…? That's not exactly how I remember it..."

"Of course not!" Sang-Woo snarled. "You four always stuck together, didn't you? Even in your wrongdoings… Don't try to spin this to make your friend sound better! He stole my girl back then, and he is doing it again now!"

F2, Jan Di, and Ga Eul all looked between each other in confusion. Ga Eul opened to inform him—and all of them—of the obvious, that she was not his girl. But, she felt it best not to further antagonize him.

"Well, we can discuss it further if you'd like, but right now you are disturbing this business. So, are you going to leave peacefully, or shall we continue this discussion outside…where I won't be as…friendly…?"

Woo Bin placed a hand upon Sang-Woo's shoulder, squeezing firmly. Sang-Woo winced slightly at the increasing pressure Woo Bin was applying. Sang-Woo resisted, roughly pushing Woo Bin's hand away, but Woo Bin spun him around and bent his arm behind his back. Sang-Woo gave out a yelp of pain and Woo Bin released him.

Woo Bin and Ji Hoo stared Sang-Woo down. There was a hint of fear in Sang-Woo's eyes, and he took a step back from F2, toward the door. "…Fine! I'm leaving!" Sang-Woo exclaimed.

"Good. And stay away from Ga Eul and Jan Di...," Ji Hoo warned.

Sang-Woo scowled; he turned and rushed out the door, slamming it hard in the process.


After Sang-Woo left, F2 turned to Ga Eul, Jan Di, and Bom Choon-Sik.

Ga Eul released a heavy sigh. "I'm so sorry, Jan Di, Master, Ji Hoo Sunbae, Woo Bin Sunbae…I'm so sorry to cause you all trouble." Ga Eul began bowing emphatically.

The group unanimously agreed that it was no problem and was not her fault. Ji Hoo tried to drop some money to make up for the commotion, as the place had cleared out, but Master insisted that he couldn't take it and that it wasn't their fault, either. Jan Di suspected that Master had found the whole incident rather exciting anyway.

"Are you OK, Ga Eul-ah?" Jan Di asked and Master mirrored the sentiment.

"Yes, I'm fine," she replied, looking away and feeling completely humiliated.


"I remember that night…," Ji Hoo informed the group. "Don't you recall, Woo Bin, it was about two years ago at that club downtown…" Woo Bin thought for a moment and nodded. Ji Hoo turned back to the other three. "Woo Bin and Yi Jeong were out on the floor dancing, and Jun Pyo and I were sitting at a table nearby having a drink together. Jun Pyo was being stubborn and was in a bad mood because he'd just had that fight with you, Jan Di," Ji Hoo gestured to Jan Di, "you know the one after he beat up your ex-boyfriend, Ga Eul…"

The girls nodded.

"Well, I was trying to get Jun Pyo to talk about the fight…and then we saw a woman go up to Yi Jeong and just kiss him."

Ga Eul cast her eyes downward.

Ji Hoo continued. "Well, Jun Pyo and I didn't think much of that. It was a fairly common occurrence back then, for F4's former—Ji Hoo accentuated the word for Ga Eul's benefit—Casanova and Don Juan. Well, right after that a man came over and started yelling at Yi Jeong for kissing his girlfriend. Yi Jeong apologized to the man, saying that he didn't know. You see, Yi Jeong is a lot of things, but he is not the type to take another man's girl… He has strong views on that. You remember how furious he was with me when I kissed you in New Caledonia, right Jan Di?" Ji Hoo lightly scoffed at the recollection of that night. "Not that I could really blame him for being angry with me…"

Jan Di nodded and stared down at her feet.

"Anyway, the girl—who was obviously very tipsy—claimed that she had no idea who the guy was and that she'd never seen him before in her life, and she continued to hang all over Yi Jeong. But Yi Jeong dismissed her, and she and the guy got into an argument. We all began to walk off, but the girl came back over, and the guy followed her. Yi Jeong simply tried to walk away, but the guy was livid with Yi Jeong and started shouting and cursing him. Woo Bin and I tried to calm him, and then Jun Pyo stepped in and told the guy off, but he wasn't having it. And then Kim Sang-Woo took a swing at Yi Jeong…"

"Yea, I remember that…," Woo Bin jumped in, "and he dodged it. Well, I was pissed off by then, so I clocked the guy. I did use a bit too much force, so I'm not surprised I broke his nose. It was bleeding pretty bad… Then the guy rushed off, and the girl ended up following him. We all ended up leaving shortly after because Jun Pyo wasn't in the mood to be there anyway…"

Jan Di and Ga Eul nodded.

"I see," Ga Eul said, staring down at her feet.

"I actually felt a bit bad for the guy—that his own girlfriend pretended not to know him and kissed another guy like that…," Ji Hoo commented, "But it wasn't Yi Jeong's fault."

Ga Eul tightened . She felt a tiny bit bad for Sang-Woo, too, but as Ji Hoo had said, it wasn't Yi Jeong's fault.

Shortly afterward, Ji Hoo and Woo Bin took their leave…


An hour later…

"Yea, man, I know who he is now," Woo Bin spoke into the phone. And he told Yi Jeong of the incident with Sang-Woo at the porridge shop.

Woo Bin sighed. "Don't worry, man…"

"No, no need to come home… Not that we don't want to see you…," Woo Bin grinned, as he held his cell up to his ear, "We'll take care of it. …Yea, yea, I promise. We got your back, man…"


Several hours later…

Ga Eul was getting ready to head home from work. Jan Di had already left to go to class, and Master was cleaning up in the kitchen. Ga Eul bid Master goodbye. She stepped outside, allowing the door to gently close. Before she realized it, someone had sidled up beside her, and she nearly collided with him. Ga Eul's eyes went wide and she let out a small gasp.

"Woo Bin Sunbae!" she exclaimed, upon realizing it was him. "You startled me, Sunbae...," she breathed a sigh of relief.

Woo Bin flashed a brilliant smile. "Mianhae, Ga Eul-ah..."

And Ga Eul smiled back. "What can I do for you, Sunbae?"

Woo Bin smiled and gently took Ga Eul's wrist; he opened her hand up for her. Then, he placed a cylindrical item in the palm of her hand. She stared down at it. "Mace, Sunbae?"

"Just a precaution," he smiled. "Keep it on you at all times. Also, try not to walk anywhere alone if you can help itAnd never walk down any alleys; always stay in well-lit areas where others are present. Oh, always be aware of your surroundings, too," he instructed in a firm, serious tone of voice. "Just follow your instincts, Ga Eul-ah. If something feels wrong, then it probably is…"

Woo Bin folded his arms. "And if all else fails and you are attacked, go for the sensitive areas: eyes, nose, throat, and of course—the very special area for guys—the groin. I guarantee that one swift kick or knee there will take a guy down immediately." He grinned at her.

Ga Eul stared—with a hint of fear behind her eyes—at Woo Bin for a moment. Did he think she was going to be attacked? "Sunbae…wh-what…? Why are you…telling me all this…?"

Woo Bin gave her a reassuring smile. "No need to worry, Ga Eul-ah. It's just good advice to keep in mind… I tell all my female friends this. I've told Jan Di the same, but I don't worry so much about her… She's got that deadly spin-kick, you know," he grinned, "and besides, Ji Hoo hardly ever lets her out of his sight…" Woo Bin winked at Ga Eul. She smiled and gave him a nod.

"Will you heed my advice, Ga Eul-ah?" Woo Bin laid a hand upon her shoulder.

Ga Eul nodded. "Yes, Sunbae. Kamsahamnida…"

She bowed to him, and then Woo Bin turned to leave.

It was a bit worrisome that Woo Bin had out-of-the-blue given her mace and a lecture on safety precautions… Did he think something bad was going to happen to her…? She supposed he was just looking out for her…but it was giving her the chills…


That evening…

Ji Hoo was sitting next to Jan Di on the couch. He had offered to help her study for an upcoming exam and had been quizzing her for the past half hour. They had just taken a short tea break, and two half-empty cups now set upon the coffee table.

Since learning of Kim Sang-Woo and witnessing his interaction with Jan Di and Ga Eul, Ji Hoo had seemed extra protective to Jan Di… Jan Di felt as though Ji Hoo was acting like some kind of guardian—checking in on her more frequently throughout the day and being extra attentive… He hadn't been meeting with the girl from the library lately, either—at least not to Jan Di's knowledge—and he had been almost constantly at Jan Di's side...

Though Ji Hoo's protectiveness made her feel a bit like a child, at times, Jan Di had to admit that a part of her—the selfish part—rather enjoyed spending the extra time with him, as well as the fact that he was once again fully focused upon her, as Ga Eul would say. And that realization made her feel absolutely horrible. Perhaps Ga Eul had been right… Jan Di supposed that she did crave Ji Hoo's attention a bit…

Jan Di's mind drifted, and she wondered about the girl from the library again. Specifically, she wondered if Ji Hoo was still seeing her…

And all of a sudden, Jan Di became very angry with herself for her petty, misguided—and completely inappropriate—jealousy. Yes, jealousy…she had to admit that there was some of that… But it was completely wrong of her to feel that way—she had a boyfriend, who she dearly loved, after all.

Slamming her book shut, Jan Di cleared and turned to Ji Hoo. He was focused upon the text in front of him. "Sunbae, you know, you don't really have to help me study…if you have…other things to do…," she said, doing her best to sound encouraging, rather than bitter—but failing miserably...

"What other things?" he mumbled—his eyes remaining focused upon the textbook in his lap.

Jan Di's eyes darted back and forth. "Well, you know…if you need to meet with your lab partner or something…"

Ji Hoo still did not look up. "I don't. We finished the lab report," he said simply.

"Oh. Well, I'm sure you're busy… You don't always have to help me out, you know…," and Jan Di's guilt about that came slamming back into her like a freight train. "You probably have your own work to do…"

"No, I don't, Jan Di-yah," he replied. He picked up his cup of tea and took a sip, still staring at the page before him.

"Oh, well I don't want to be taking up too much of your time..." And that was true. "…Are you sure you don't want to…I mean…maybe you want to…go somewhere…or hang out with…someone…?"

Ji Hoo finally looked at her. "Hang out with someone? I am hanging out with someone. You, Otter," he grinned.

"Well, I mean…someone else…"

"Someone else, huh?" he cocked an eyebrow and rested his elbow on his knee, holding the book off to the side. "Are you trying to get rid of me, Geum Jan Di? Do you not enjoy my company?"

"That's not it!" she exclaimed. Oh, why does he always have to tease me…?!

Ji Hoo chuckled. "So, you think I should hang out with someone else, huh?"

"That's not what I—"

"Like who, Otter?" he interrupted, "Did you have someone in particular in mind?" Ji Hoo asked—his curiosity piqued.

Jan Di shrugged and stared down at her hands. "I don't know…maybe…that girl from the library…," her words trailed off at the end. And the words came out much more jealous and bitter-sounding than they had been in Jan Di's head… She quickly glanced away—cringing in disbelief of what she'd just said. She felt utterly ridiculous…

After a few seconds, Jan Di cautiously glanced back at Ji Hoo to gauge his reaction. A small smile had crossed his lips. "Why would I hang out with her, Otter?" Ji Hoo flashed a pearly grin and rested his chin in his hand.

Apparently, he wasn't going to give her a straight answer but was rather going to torment her a bit. Jan Di was suddenly very, very sorry she had brought the whole conversation up…

"Well, um, don't you…I mean…do youlike her…?" Jan Di stumbled through her question—wondering if it was even acceptable for her to ask him such a thing…

Ji Hoo shrugged. "Sure. She's a lovely girl."

What does that mean exactly? Jan Di wondered.

"Oh. Yeah, she really is, Sunbae!" Jan Di put on a smile and shook her head emphatically. Then, she pursed her lips. "You know, I could…get out of the way…if you wanted to…have her over or something sometime…?"

Jan Di was doing her best to be accommodating—she didn't want to be selfish with Ji Hoo—but she felt her insides do a little twist at the thought of him having a girl over...

The corners of Ji Hoo's mouth twitched. "Have her over?" he raised a brow. "There's really no reason to do so... What, do you think she and I are dating, Jan Di?"

Jan Di gave a nervous chuckle. "Well, no, um, maybe, I wasn't sure…," she stammered. "You didn't…say anything about her…," Jan Di muttered.

"She and I are not dating, Jan Di," he said directly, casting his eyes back down to the book. Ji Hoo began to silently read, but then he stopped and looked up at Jan Di again. "Are you trying to fix me up with her or something?"

"No…" she wrung her hands lightly. "But, well I was wondering…is there…anyone that you…do like, Sunbae?" Jan Di asked hesitantly.

"Anyone I like…?" He smiled at her. "Sure, there are plenty of people I like, Jan Di-yah…"

Jan Di groaned inwardly. "Well, that's not exactly what I…"

"I know what you meant, Jan Di-yah," and he gave a little chuckle. "You meant women, right?"

"Well, um…yes…," she glanced away.

"Romantically, right?" he cocked a brow.

She glanced away and nodded.

Ji Hoo smiled. "Hmm, are there any women that I like in a romantic way…?" Ji Hoo asked rhetorically, as he cast his eyes skyward. Jan Di glanced back at him. He was rubbing his chin and staring up at the ceiling—looking a bit wistful and taking a very long time to answer...

Ji Hoo suddenly met Jan Di's eyes again. "Why do you ask that, Jan Di-yah?" he smirked. "Do you think I need to date? Am I getting pathetic or something?" he put on a false pout.

Jan Di gaped at him. "Of course you're not, Sunbae!" she vehemently protested. "I didn't mean to imply that…I only meant that…I was just wondering…," she grumbled.

Ji Hoo laughed. "Relax, Otter. I was only joking." Jan Di gave Ji Hoo a light shove on the arm. And Ji Hoo chuckled.

"But to answer your question," he paused, "I'm not really interested in dating anyone right now," and Ji Hoo clasped his hands together and stared down at them.

"Oh, OK…," Jan Di inadvertently let out a small sigh—almost one of…relief…perhaps?

Ji Hoo glimpsed this, and they both went back to their textbooks. After a moment of silence, Ji Hoo glanced over at Jan Di again. And suddenly, Ji Hoo's expression grew very serious; he put the book down and leaned in closer to her...

"S-s-sunbae?" She shrunk back—one hand clutching at her chest and the other gripping the arm of the couch. "Wh-what are you doing?" Jan Di felt her cheeks grow slightly warm and her heart began to speed up a bit…

Ji Hoo didn't answer but simply studied her... He was very close… Jan Di swallowed the lump in .

And then Ji Hoo finally spoke. "I'm not ready to date again at this time, but whenever I do decide to, I'll make sure you're the first to know, Otter…" Then, Ji Hoo winked at her and put distance between them once more. Jan Di blinked a few times and released the breath she'd been holding.

She nodded. "Well, that's…not really necessary, Sunbae…to tell me first…or at all…if you don't want…," she stared down at her hands in her lap.

After a few seconds, Jan Di cautiously raised her eyes to Ji Hoo. He was smiling at her again... And he was giving her that one particular smile of his—complete with its incredible melting properties—that she was certain most girls wouldn't be able to resist… And she suddenly had to look away, for—despite how comfortable she usually was with Ji Hoo—looking directly at him while he was smiling at her in such a way was doing inexplicably strange things to her...and it was threatening to altogether liquefy her…

"Don't smile at me like that, Sunbae…," she mumbled, poking her lip out lightly.

He appeared to be holding back laughter. "Mianhae, Jan Di-yah…" He put away the smile and instead gazed upon her more seriously, yet still with the hint of a playful grin teasing the corners of his lips.

Jan Di attempted to focus upon her book again, but she glimpsed out of the corner of her eye that he was still watching her… She tolerated it for as long as she could. "Ahh, stop staring at me, Sunbae!" she exclaimed, flustered. And she placed a hand upon his chest, giving him a little push backward.

Ji Hoo chuckled and mussed her hair. "You're so cute, little otter..."

And then he grew serious again. "So, Jan Di-yah, what brought on the conversation about dating?"

Jan Di took a deep breath and slowly released it. She recalled Ga Eul's words before about Ji Hoo giving her all his attention. "Well, I was just thinking… and I was wondering...is it…because of me...?"

Ji Hoo looked at her curiously, "What?"

"Is it…my fault that you're not dating anyone?"

Ji Hoo's lips parted—he was slightly stunned that she would ask such a thing…

"What I mean is…is it because you're always spending time with me…? I know I take up a lot of your time... And I feel sort of guilty about that. You're always helping me out, and I live here…so maybe you feel like you can't have…company over… And I was worried that I maybe…get in the way…or hold you back somehow…"

It was a rather naïve notion, but sweet, nonetheless. And when put in that way, he could much more easily answer her. Ji Hoo gave Jan Di an affectionate smile. "Don't be silly, little otter. Of course you don't hold me back."

Jan Di sighed in relief. "Oh, OK, good… I'm sorry, Sunbae, to be so forward and ask you such personal things, but I only brought it up because…I don't want you to be…unhappy…because of me..."

Ji Hoo smiled at her again. "Of course not, Otter. I'm not unhappy. I'm very content with my life right now. And you…," he reached out to give her hair a little ruffle, "could never bring me anything but happiness…"

Jan Di smiled widely. "Gomawo, Sunbae…"

They exchanged a tender look, one that lingered... When the emotion of the moment became too much for her, Jan Di gave a little chuckle.

"Well, we better get back to work!" she exclaimed in an overly loud voice. A small smile crossed Ji Hoo's lips and he nodded.


It had been a few days since the confrontation between Sang-Woo and F2, and Ga Eul hadn't seen Sang-Woo since. Surprisingly, he hadn't been in class, which had actually been a relief to Ga Eul. But that made her feel somewhat cowardly. After all, she would have to face him again eventually…

Ga Eul was headed home from her evening class. Both Woo Bin Sunbae and Ji Hoo Sunbae had offered her a ride home that evening, but she'd been too prideful to accept. It was dark now, and—though the streets were lit and it was only a few blocks to her apartment—she had this eerie feeling… In fact, she'd had it ever since Woo Bin had handed her that can of mace, as if he expected something to happen to her… On top of that, she'd gotten a few phone calls the past few days from unknown numbers—and when she answered the caller had simply hung up with a loud click.

Ga Eul involuntarily shivered—whether from the subtle chill in the air or the creepy feeling she had, she wasn't sure...

And as she trudged down the sidewalk—dotted sporadically with people—she began to suspect that someone was…watching her… She wasn't sure why, but she felt a deep, dark pit forming in her stomach. And she recalled Woo Bin's words—if it feels wrong, then it probably is… She suddenly began to wish that she had not foolishly declined a ride home from F2.

...

Suddenly, a loud crash emanated from some side alley and Ga Eul jerked her head toward the noise...

She noticed that a cat had simply knocked over a garbage can and had taken off running down the alley of a small noodle shop… Ga Eul squeezed her eyes shut and breathed a sigh of relief, but the unexpected disturbance had been enough to further set her nerve endings tingling. She pulled her lime-colored coat tight and continued to walk toward her apartment—more quickly this time...

As she rushed home, Ga Eul glanced all around her. She thought of what Woo Bin had said once more, and she reached into her purse, the canister of mace. She considered calling for a ride, but she was very close to home now, so she merely quickened her pace.


Ga Eul felt as though she had never known such relief as to reach the solace of her apartment building, and she quickly rushed inside and up the one flight of stairs. She arrived at her door and began fishing around for her keys within her purse.

Aigoo! I need to clean this thing out again…

She mentally berated herself for being so disorganized and temporarily losing her keys within the innards of her purse. She finally felt them and grasped on, but they slipped from her fingers. Ahh…She opened the purse wider and practically stuck her head down into it, while digging deeper for the elusive key ring.

"Good evening, Ga Eul-ssi…," a male voice came from behind her. Ga Eul gasped; she snapped her head back and spun around.

And there was Sang-Woo, ascending the stairs. She immediately felt shivers run up and down her spine. Had he…followed her?

"Kim Sang-Woo!" her face grew ashen and she backed up against the door. "Wh-what…are you doing here?" She kept her eyes on him, as she resumed her search for the keys.

Sang-Woo smiled faintly. "I felt really badly about the other day, and I wanted to apologize to you," he said. He'd reached the top of the stairs now and was slowly moving toward her…

"It's fine," Ga Eul uttered, as she fumbled around in her purse. She finally felt her keys and began to pull them out, but her hand had begun to tremble, and they slipped from her fingertips again and into the depths of her handbag. Ga Eul mentally cursed her butterfingers.

Ga Eul eyed Sang-Woo suspiciously—her chest beginning to heave—as he approached. "H-how…did you know where I lived anyway…?" she stammered.

"Oh. Well, your boss told me…"

That seemed fishy to Ga Eul… She didn't think Master was in the habit of giving away her address to people—and particularly after what happened at the porridge shop...

"Oh, I see," she simply said.

She finally managed to grasp onto the keys; she clung tight to the ring as she pulled them out. Keeping one eye on Sang-Woo and the other on the door, she grappled with the lock.

Sang-Woo slunk up to her slowly, like a snake…

"Ga Eul-ssi, wait…"

She wasn't sure why, but she paused.

"…I just wanted to tell you that I'm…sorry that I got upset and overreacted at the porridge shop... It's just that…I don't want to see him hurt you...because…because…," Sang-Woo's chest rose and fell heavily, "…I love you!"

Ga Eul gaped at Sang-Woo. Then she shook her head vibrantly back and forth. "No, you don't love me. You only think you do… You barely know me…"

He was standing before her now. "That's not true. I know you very well… I know all about you, Ga Eul-ssi! More than him! I know everything that you like and don't like… And I do love you!" He reached out a hand to touch her cheek, but she snapped her head away.

"Ga Eul-ssi…," he uttered, hurt.

"Goodnight, Kim Sang-Woo."

He sighed. "May I come in for a moment?" he asked.

"No!" she exclaimed, turning back to him. She cleared . "…I'm sorry, Sang-Woo-ssi, but it's late, and I need to get to bed…"

He nodded and turned to leave. Ga Eul twisted her key into the lock and pushed open the door as quickly as she could—it could not open fast enough for her. She began to enter her apartment, but suddenly she felt Sang-Woo pushing her inside—himself along with her. She screamed, but he put a hand over , stifling it.

"Shh, it's OK, Ga Eul-ssi…I won't hurt you…," he whispered, as he forced her inside. She struggled with him, dropping her purse in the process. Once midway into the room, he dropped his hand from . Ga Eul immediately began screaming for him to get out.

"I'm sorry, Ga Eul-ssi, but I just need to know one thing, and then I'll leave."

"No, no more! Just please get out!"

Ga Eul's eyes wandered the room. Her purse—which contained the mace—lie on the floor just a few feet away from her door, but Sang-Woo stood in the way of it. Ga Eul clenched her fists hard at her sides, and she took a deep breath. "Fine, what? What is it that you need to know?" she asked as calmly as she could muster.

Sang-Woo released a sharp exhale. "I need to know why you are with him, Ga Eul-ssi… I can't believe that a girl like you could be with a guy like that! He doesn't deserve you, Ga Eul-ssi… He just wants to use you…and that's what he'll do! He will never be faithful to you…he's not capable of it! He'll use you and toss you away! He's only going to end up breaking your heart!" Sang-Woo shouted in exasperation.

"You're wrong. He won't do that. He's changed, and I trust him. I think you should go now…," She began to slowly slip around him, as casually as she could, in order to reach her purse.

Sang-Woo continued speaking. "But, Ga Eul-ssi, even after I told you what he did…you still trust him…? How could you possibly be with someone like that?!"

Ga Eul had had enough. "He didn't steal your girlfriend, Sang-Woo!" she exclaimed. "…I heard the story. She kissed him, and Yi Jeong didn't reciprocate! The one you should be mad at is her!"

Sang-Woo paused, and he seemed to take what she'd said into great consideration. He shook his head slowly. "You're right… It was all her fault, come to think of it… The little …"

Ga Eul suddenly wished she hadn't brought it up at all…

"Well, I'm so sorry about all that, but I really should get some sleep, Sang-Woo... Maybe we could talk more about this later…," she said, in hopes of appeasing him and getting him out of her apartment without further confrontation. She had to admit that she was a bit concerned about what he might do—to her and himself—but at the present moment, she was more concerned for her own well-being…

But Sang-Woo didn't even seem to register the words she'd just spoken and instead focused upon her previous statement. "You're absolutely right, Ga Eul-ssi…," he stared down at his hands. Ga Eul continued making her way toward her purse. Sang-Woo scoffed. "In the end, my first girlfriend was just another disloyal tramp who was obsessed with F4…," he snarled.

And he suddenly became furious and something within him snapped like a frozen branch under the weight of a heavy layer of snow. She passed by him, and he suddenly grasped onto her hard by the shoulders, pulling her into him.

"Let me go!" she pushed him away, but he only gripped onto her tighter.

He embraced her, as she struggled. "But it doesn't matter anymore… She doesn't matter… All that matters to me now is you, us…," he whispered against her ear. "I know you're different; you would never do such a thing to me…"

"You're crazy...," she muttered.

"What?" he pulled back.

Ga Eul growled in frustration. "There is no us, Kim Sang-Woo!" She practically screamed in his face, "And there never will be! Get it through your head!" and she kicked him hard in the shin. Sang-Woo grunted in pain, and Ga Eul ran for her purse.

Sang-Woo limped for a second but shook it off and caught up to her—just as she grasped the handle of her purse. He embraced her hard again, and she dropped the purse.

"Let me go!" she demanded, writhing in his grasp like a fish struggling for sweet release back into the water.

"Why?! Why him and not me?!" Sang-Woo cried out, as he pressed her tighter against him. She said nothing but continued to struggle. He was stronger than he looked…

"Tell me!" he screamed, pulling her back to gaze upon her. He gave her a little shake.

"Because I love him!" she shouted back.

"You…love…him?"

"Yes!"

Sang-Woo dropped his hands to his side. He took a few steps back and stared at her in horrified agony.

As soon as he released her she immediately took off running toward the door, but he caught up again, grabbing onto her arm and pulling her back. He clutched at her shoulders again and stared into her eyes, his chest heaving. Ga Eul's own chest was rising and falling heavily, and she stared back at him—with eyes dark and dilated in fear.

"Why…why…do you love him?!"

Ga Eul spoke as steadily as she could. "There are far too many reasons to choose from that I don't plan on explaining to you… So, get out of my home… I won't say it again! I'll call the police…," she threatened, though she wasn't exactly sure how she would do so right now… Perhaps her neighbors had already done so, given the noise…

"Fine..."

Sang-Woo suddenly noticed the infinity necklace dangling from her neck. "This…," he reached for the chain. "Is this…from him?"

"Don't touch that!" she demanded, pulling away and reaching down protectively for the necklace. But he got to it first. Grasping it tight within his fist, he gave it a quick yank and broke the chain.

Ga Eul gaped at him in horror, and her eyes began to well up with tears. And she felt as though she'd never been so angry before… "How dare you!" She slapped him hard across the face.

There was the briefest of stunned silences before Sang-Woo threw the necklace down on the floor and stepped on it. Ga Eul's face twisted, and the tears she'd been holding back began to freely slip out.

Sang-Woo's face softened. "Oh, don't cry, sweet Ga Eul…" And he approached her. He grabbed onto her and leaned in, as if he was going to kiss her...

Unbelievable! Was he so deluded that he was now going to attempt to steal a kiss—after all that had transpired…?

"No!" Ga Eul shouted, and she reared back, ing her knee forward into his groin. Sang-Woo gave a sharp groan and dropped instantly to the floor, curling up into a ball.

Ga Eul quickly bent down beside him to snatch up the necklace. She clutched it within her hand and ran as fast as she could toward the door. He grunted out her name once before she left, but she didn't look back.

Ga Eul rushed out of her apartment, leaving Sang-Woo there, choking out coughs and writing in pain on the floor. She took the apartment steps 2 to 3 at a time. She stumbled once—slamming her knee against the concrete step and tearing a hole in her tights—but she quickly got up and sprinted out of the building.

It was raining now—a steady downpour—and she had no umbrella, no phone, and she had left her purse in the apartment, too. But she didn't care. She just kept running, as fast as she could, to the closest place—a place she knew she would be safe…


Twenty Minutes Later…

"Ga Eul-ssi...," Ji Hoo greeted a soaking wet Ga Eul at the door of his home. "Are you alright? What happened?"

Large beads of rainwater dripped from Ga Eul's long, dark hair and landed upon Ji Hoo's pristine floor.

"I'm…sorry…to just…show up, Sunbae…but…I didn't know where else to go…," Ga Eul muttered through shaky, labored breaths. And Ji Hoo gently ushered her in.

Jan Di entered the living room moments later. "Ga Eul-ah!"

Jan Di rushed to Ga Eul and embraced her, despite Ga Eul's protests that she would get her all wet.

"What happened?!" Jan Di demanded. "You're bleeding!" Jan Di looked down at Ga Eul's cut knee. And she immediately led Ga Eul further inside, with an arm wrapped protectively around her. Ji Hoo fetched a towel and handed it to Ga Eul, and then he went for the first aid kit. Having heard the commotion, Grandfather had also ambled into the living room, a concerned look etched upon his gently wrinkled face.

"Come on, Ga Eul-ah, I'll get you some dry clothes of mine to wear and get your knee fixed up. And then you can tell us about it," Jan Di said. Ga Eul nodded—shivering—and Jan Di led her off to her room.


Jan Di got Ga Eul into dry clothes, and Ga Eul told Jan Di, Ji Hoo, and Grandfather about the incident. Jan Di insisted that Ga Eul stay there for the time being, and neither Ji Hoo nor Grandfather had any objections to that. Ga Eul was too exhausted—physically and emotionally—to argue with them.

Attempting to lighten the mood, Jan Di smiled, "Just think of it as a sleepover, Ga Eul-ah…" And Ga Eul smiled faintly back. "Thank you, Jan Di-yah. And thank you so much, Ji Hoo Sunbae, Harabeoji...," she bowed to the men. "I'm very sorry to be an imposition."

Grandfather waved a hand. "Ahh, not at all, Child…"

Ji Hoo nodded. "Get some sleep, you two…," he said. Jan Di and Ga Eul bid Grandfather goodnight, and Ji Hoo escorted them back to Jan Di's room. Ji Hoo went for extra bedding materials and took them to Jan Di to make up a bed for Ga Eul next to hers. And he assured Ga Eul and Jan Di that he and Woo Bin would handle things

"Thank you, Sunbae," Ga Eul bowed again.

"Goodnight, Sunbae…," Jan Di said before wrapping an arm around her best friend's shoulder and leading her into the room they would share.

Then Ji Hoo went back to the living room and sat down on the couch next to Grandfather.


The Next Morning…

Ga Eul was showering, and Ji Hoo and Jan Di were talking about the events of the previous night. Jan Di was still absolutely furious about it. Ga Eul had been crying the night before, and thinking of it brought tears to Jan Di's eyes. Jan Di clenched her fists until her knuckles grew white. And then she took off toward the door.

"Jan Di, where do you think you are going?" Ji Hoo demanded.

"I can't take it anymore, Sunbae! I wanted to do something before when he came into the porridge shop! I wanted to hit him so bad! I wanted to go after him when he left! How dare he do this to Ga Eul, Sunbae! How dare he! I'm…I'm…," she trembled in rage, "…going to give that guy a piece of my mind!" Jan Di exclaimed, and she began to storm off.

Ji Hoo quickly caught her by the crook of the arm. He moved to stand in front of her and placed both hands—gently but firmly—upon her shoulders. "No, you're not," he held her out at arm's length.

"But Sunbae!"

Ji Hoo looked down intently into the eyes of the hot-headed Geum Jan Di—into eyes that burned with the fires of vengeance for her friend... And he released a soft sigh.

"Jan Di, I know you're angry, but Kim Sang-Woo is obsessed with Ga Eul, and it seems that he has been for years... He's obviously unstable. And I don't want you anywhere near him…"

"But Sunbae…"

"No buts!" Ji Hoo raised his voice a notch. He continued to hold onto her, as if she would slip away and do something drastic. "When that guy shoved you before, Jan Di…it took all of my willpower not to break his arm…"

"Sunbae…," Jan Di's eyes grew wide. She was shocked at hearing such words from the typically docile Ji Hoo. Her fists uncurled slightly at her sides.

Ji Hoo tightened his mouth. "Of course, Woo Bin almost did it for me...," Ji Hoo gave her a wry smile. "...I don't like to get violent, you know that, but if it comes down to you being at risk, I won't hesitate to do so… Do you understand?"

Jan Di stared into Ji Hoo's eyes. She nodded.

"You don't want to force me to break someone's arm…or worse, do you?"

Jan Di's brow wrinkled; she shook her head.

"Good."

Ji Hoo sighed. "This Kim Sang-Woo is unpredictable, and I don't know what all he is capable of... And I don't want you to get hurt, OK? I couldn't stand for that. I've had to endure seeing you hurt—physically and emotionally—way more times than I care for…so, I can't allow it," his voice grew gentle at the end.

Jan Di's expression softened. "Sunbae…," she uttered.

Ji Hoo exhaled. "So, promise me you'll stay away from him…"

Jan Di blinked, as she looked upon Ji Hoo.

"Do you promise me?" Ji Hoo urged, as he gave her shoulders a light squeeze.

Jan Di lowered her head and slowly nodded. "Yes, Sunbae… I promise."

"Good."

"But…what about Ga Eul…?" Jan Di muttered. And she looked up at Ji Hoo helplessly—like a small bunny caught in a trap…

Ji Hoo sighed. "Don't worry, Jan Di-yah. Woo Bin and I will ensure Ga Eul's safety. And we will deal with Kim Sang-Woo properly."

She continued to stare at him with those large, mahogany eyes that he had never quite learned how to resist…

"Have I ever broken a promise to you, Jan Di?" Ji Hoo asked.

"No."

"Then, as I said, I promise you that she will be safe," Ji Hoo assured.

Jan Di nodded. "I believe you, Sunbae. Gomawo…"

"So, please keep your promise to me…"

"Alright, I will, Sunbae."


A half-hour later…

"That guy is completely insane…," Woo Bin commented, as he and Ji Hoo sat together in the F4 lounge.

"Yea…," Ji Hoo nodded.

"But why would he—after all those years of pining for Ga Eul and saying nothing—finally decide to speak up and then just…snap on her…and go all psycho?" Woo Bin questioned.

"I don't know," Ji Hoo leaned forward in his seat. "I only took one psychology course, so I can't really speak on the matter, but perhaps his frustration built and built to its peak, and when he found out about Ga Eul dating Yi Jeong—the man he blamed for his breakup with his ex-girlfriend—it triggered that traumatic memory and caused some kind of…breakdown…"

"Hmm, that's an interesting theory, Professor Yoon," Woo Bin gave him a wry smile. Ji Hoo scoffed.

"Well, whatever the reason for it, Yi Jeong is gonna freak out…," Woo Bin said.

Ji Hoo released a sharp exhale. "Yea… So, what are we going to do?" he asked.

"Take care of it…," Woo Bin mumbled, cryptically.


"What?! That's it; I'm coming home!" Yi Jeong exclaimed, after hearing of the incidents with Sang-Woo. Ji Hoo and Woo Bin now had him on video call…

"Yi Jeong, calm down," Ji Hoo spoke softly, "Don't worry. Ga Eul is fine. And we're taking care of it…"

"She's fine…? You're taking care of it?!" Yi Jeong scoffed. "Like you took care of it before…? She was attacked! That bastard attacked her!"

"I know, Yi Jeong," Ji Hoo spoke regretfully.

"It could have been so much worse! What if he'd…," Yi Jeong clutched at his hair and growled in frustration. It was just too much for him to consider all the terrible things that Sang-Woo could havedone to Ga Eul… "How could you two let this happen?!" Yi Jeong demanded, as if Woo Bin and Ji Hoo's sole purposes in life were to watch over Ga Eul for him.

Ji Hoo sighed. "We're sorry, Yi Jeong. We…underestimated how far Kim Sang-Woo would take this… But it won't happen again."

"Yea, Buddy. We got your back, always, man! I promise that he won't get anywhere near her ever again…," Woo Bin assured.

Yi Jeong raked a hand through his slicked back hair and exhaled sharply. "OK… You're right… I just need to calm down…" Yi Jeong shut his eyes tight and leaned forward in his chair. He held his phone in one hand and began to gently massage his temple with the other. "…And I know you guys have my back... Mianhae, Woo Bin-ah, Ji Hoo-yah…" Yi Jeong sighed. "And you know what? I have an idea..."


Later that day…

Ga Eul was back at her apartment, but she was not afraid, for she had no shortage of security looking out for her now… She noticed her phone buzzing on the table, and she went over. She picked it up and answered.

"Yi Jeong-ah!" she practically shouted into the phone. She hadn't intended to speak so loudly—and she hoped that she hadn't hurt his ears—but she was just so thrilled to hear from him.

"Annyeong, Ga Eul-yang…," came his silky voice from across the miles.

Ga Eul inadvertently released a pleasurable sigh at hearing the sound of her name coming from those particular lips… And she was automatically at peace and transported to that faraway, dreamlike place that she always went to when she spoke to or thought of him…

"How are you?" he asked.

"I'm fine, Yi Jeong-ah… And how are you?"

"Much better now…," he said sweetly, and Ga Eul's lips curved further upward. "It's been far too long since we've spoken…," he said.

"I agree."

So much had transpired since she last talked to Yi Jeong, and Ga Eul wasn't quite sure where to begin. And she wasn't sure what all he had been told already by F2, nor what all she should tell him about the recent unpleasant excitement…

"Yi Jeong-ah…," she began, "There's something…I need to tell you…"

"I know…," he said in a melancholy voice. "I know all about what happened, and I feel awful that I wasn't there to protect you…" The sick feeling was deeply grounded within his stomach, like the thick, tangled roots of a 100-year-old tree.

"It's OK. It's not your fault…," she said.

"Ga Eul-ah…I will never let anyone hurt you. I promise you that," Yi Jeong said with complete confidence and sincerity.

Ga Eul smiled. "I know, Yi Jeong-ah..."

He smiled faintly on his end, but then it immediately faded. "I hate that I have to rely on others to look out for you…but I will always do whatever it takes to keep you safe and happy…"

"Yi Jeong-ah…"

He immediately changed the subject. "But onto more pleasant things… Ga Eul-yang, I have a surprise for you. It should be arriving very soon." He was smiling again.

"A surprise?" she asked.

"Mmhm…"

Seconds later her doorbell rang. Ga Eul jumped slightly—she was still a bit on edge after the Sang-Woo incident—but then she eased. "Is that…?"

"Yes."

"That was quick!"

Yi Jeong chuckled. Ga Eul went to the door and peeked through the hole. "It's Ji Hoo Sunbae," she informed Yi Jeong on the phone.

"Yes, good. He's right on time." Yi Jeong flashed his brilliant smile, one that she could not see but could practically hear in his voice…

"My surprise is Ji Hoo Sunbae?" Ga Eul joked.

Yi Jeong laughed. "No, he has the surprise. I'm going to go now, Ga Eul-yang, but I'll talk to you very soon…," he cooed.

Ga Eul smiled. "I hope so…"

"Goodbye, Ga Eul-yang…"

"Goodbye, Yi Jeong-ah…"

She hung up and went to the door.


Ga Eul greeted Ji Hoo and ushered him in. Ji Hoo greeted back and wasted no time in handing her an envelope. "This is from Yi Jeong."

Ga Eul turned it over, caressing it lightly with her fingers. "Yes, I was just talking to him... I hear you are the messenger again, Ji Hoo Sunbae…"

Ji Hoo nodded. "Yes, and I think he needs to start paying me for my services… That, or at least entrust the postal system," he said with a wry smile.

Ga Eul laughed.

"Open it, Ga Eul-ssi," Ji Hoo insisted, "I was to ensure you got it right away. It's time sensitive."

"Time sensitive?" Ga Eul opened the envelope with extra care, as she always did. She always saved everything Yi Jeong sent, and she liked for her keepsakes from him to remain pristine.

She pulled out a thick, rectangular sheet of paper.

Ga Eul's chocolate eyes grew wide. "A plane ticket, Ji Hoo Sunbae?"

Ji Hoo nodded. "Yes. Yi Jeong would like for you to visit him in Sweden."

Ga Eul's lips parted, and her eyes darted back and forth. She clutched at the repaired chain of the infinity necklace, as she held the ticket in her other hand.

"But…how can I...? I have school and work and…"

Then, Ga Eul noticed the date and time on the ticket. It was scheduled to depart in only 5 hours. She also noticed that it was a one-way ticket… How long was he planning to have her visit…? "But, Sunbae, I can't possibly—!"

"I'm sorry, Ga Eul-ah, but I have strict orders not to take no for an answer…," Ji Hoo flashed Ga Eul a bright smile. "Don't worry. Everything has been arranged… You just need to pack. But there isn't a lot of time, so you'd better get going on that Ga Eul-ssi…"

"But…what do you mean it's all been arranged, Sunbae?"

F4 had always been known for their spontaneity, which was not Ga Eul's personality at all… She recalled how Yi Jeong had pulled her away for an impulsive trip to New Caledonia with Jan Di and the rest of F4…

This is crazy…isn't it?!

But Ga Eul's heart was fluttering wildly… She had to admit that it was incredibly romantic…and she really wanted to go… But then again, could she really do something like this—run away, spur-of-the-moment, for a rendezvous in another country with her boyfriend…?

Noticing Ga Eul's hesitation, Ji Hoo spoke. "Don't think, Ga Eul-ssi… Just go," he smiled at her again. And then Ji Hoo grew more serious. "When you overthink things you…tend to miss out on valuable life experiences…"

Ga Eul could hear the sincerity in Ji Hoo's voice, and she knew that the statement resonated with the most reserved member of F4…

"Jan Di and I will pick you up in an hour to take you to the airport," Ji Hoo declared before touching her lightly on the arm and then turning to leave.


A/N: OK guys, so I know it took Ga Eul a really long time to open her door and 'give it to' Sang-Woo, haha, but I'm not so great with writing suspense and action…and I was trying to build it up a bit… I'm working on getting better at that. But, I hope this turned out OK! Thoughts?

Teaser for next chapter: Lovers in a Foreign City: While Ji Hoo and Woo Bin deal with the Sang-Woo situation back home once-and-for-all, Yi Jeong and Ga Eul rekindle their romance in the Venice of the North. Ga Eul meets the Anderssons, and Mr. Andersson begins to show his true colors…