Lovers in a Foreign City Part II

Good Girls and Bad Boys

A/N: So, I made a mistake in my last teaser. The benefit is actually going to be in the third and final part of this arc, sorry! Warning, there will be a lot of fluffy Ji Hoo and Jan Di moments in this chapter. I got kind of carried away, and it's not subtle at all, haha! So, for any of you who don't like them, I'm sorry about that, but I unapologetically love them. And many of my regular readers do, too. Lots of SoEul, as well, of course! Even more of them next chapter, too. Anyway, hope you enjoy, and thanks for reading!

Disclaimer: I do not own any rights to Clint Eastwood, Kim Bum, or 'Hidden Identity.' I don't know if our F2 buddies have any idea who Clint Eastwood is, or if all of you guys do, but if not, he's an American tough guy actor. I was looking for a Korean tough guy equivalent… The reference there is obviously a little joke, but I know that I might be the only one who finds it kind of funny… Haha!

Forgive any mistakes with the Korean or regarding Stockholm, or anything…

Babo (pronounced pabo): idiot/fool

Hwaiting! (pronounced like fighting): Good luck/you can do it!


Chapter Seven: Lovers in a Foreign City Part II

Two Days Ago…

Woo Bin and Ji Hoo met up with Kim Sang-Woo for a little chat—a little Good Cop-Bad Cop—just to ensure that he now knew his place and planned to stay away from Ga Eul when she returned from Sweden.

Ga Eul had felt a bit bad for Sang-Woo, despite him attacking her, and she had asked Woo Bin to deliver a note to Sang-Woo. But Woo Bin had told her directly that it was a bad idea and informed her that any attention or kindness from her would be viewed as hope to Sang-Woo.

Presently, F2 and several of Woo Bin's men stood before Sang-Woo alone in a back alley in the Gangnam district. Woo Bin approached Sang-Woo with a sinister smile upon his face.

Sang-Woo backed up against the dirty brick wall of an abandoned building. Woo Bin's lips curved into a scowl as he closed the distance between them. And he took hold of Sang-Woo's face with a black gloved hand, squeezing ever so slightly.

"Don't hurt him, Woo Bin," Ji Hoo muttered, indifferent.

Ji Hoo was the 'good cop,' naturally, though he was not so fond of the guy either and wouldn't have minded playing the bad guy for a change…

"Dammit, Ji Hoo, stay out of this! He needs to be taught a lesson!" Woo Bin shouted back, playing his role to perfection.

Ji Hoo folded his arms and gave him a roll of the eyes. He knew that Woo Bin didn't really plan on hurting Kim Sang-Woo.

Woo Bin smirked at Ji Hoo and turned back to Sang-Woo, smooshing his face.

"I'm not afraid of you!" Sang-Woo shot back, his words slightly muffled due to Woo Bin's hold. And the Mafia Prince had to admit that this guy had some nerve…

"You should be…," Woo Bin spoke in a low, sinister tone and his eyes sparkled with menace.

Ji Hoo grinned to himself and shook his head at Woo Bin's slightly over-the-top performance.

"What are you going to do to me, Song Woo Bin?" Sang-Woo demanded in a contemptuous tone, as he struggled within Woo Bin's vice grip.

"Nothing," Ji Hoo spoke for his partner, stepping forward, "So long as you stay away from Chu Ga Eul. Do you think you can do that?"

Sang-Woo glared at Ji Hoo and then back at Woo Bin.

"Right! That means you don't approach her, talk to her, or even look at her!" Woo Bin shouted. "Or else…"

"Or else what?" Sang-Woo snapped back.

This guy really had guts…

Woo Bin gripped him by the shirt—twisting—and slammed him up against the wall. "You don't wanna know what…," he replied through gritted teeth, giving off a look that could have killed.

"It really is in your best interest to listen to him, Kim Sang-Woo," Ji Hoo interjected. "We're trying to give you a chance here, but if you don't adhere to our demands then we won't hesitate to get the authorities involved. Or, we might just take it a step further…"

Sang-Woo scowled.

"That's right, so for now, you can just call us her own personal restraining order against you," Woo Bin smirked devilishly.

After they were convinced they'd put fear into Sang-Woo's heart, F2 allowed him to go. And Woo Bin and Ji Hoo walked together back to their cars.

"So, who were you supposed to be back there, Woo Bin? Clint Eastwood?"

"Nah, man. I was going more for Kim Bum in Hidden Identity…" Woo Bin laughed, and Ji Hoo did so along with him.


The Present…

Later that morning—after speaking with Ga Eul—Jan Di sat down to breakfast with Ji Hoo. Grandfather had already gone to the Clinic. Ji Hoo and Jan Di had offered to go along, but he'd insisted that they remain at home and relax.

"Enjoy your break and your youth!" Grandfather had commanded. Ji Hoo and Jan Di had simply looked at each other as if they had no idea what to do next. And Grandfather had grumbled, muttering something under his breath, before waving them off with a hand and leaving.

So, it had suddenly turned into one of those extremely rare days when they had absolutely nothing to do…

Jan Di had been quiet all morning, and she currently sat at the breakfast table poking—or rather, stabbing—at her food.

Ji Hoo studied her from across the table. "Jan Di-yah, what did that food ever do to you? Why don't you put it out of its misery and just eat it," he grinned.

"Eh? Oh, right…," Jan Di gave an awkward laugh. She stopped attacking her food and popped in a bite.

Ji Hoo smiled to himself and took a bite of his own food. After chewing, he looked Jan Di over. She had just finished a mouthful and had stopped to stare down at her plate.

"So, were you able to speak with Ga Eul?" he asked.

Jan Di looked up at Ji Hoo and nodded. "Mm, but not for long…," she sighed. "I think something's wrong, Sunbae…"

"Why do you think so, Jan Di-yah?"

Jan Di tightened her jaw. "I can just tell. Just like how you can always tell when something is wrong with me, Sunbae…"

Ji Hoo nodded. "I would think she'd be having the time of her life..."

"So would I..."

"Would you like for me to speak with Yi Jeong?"

"No, that's OK, Sunbae. I'll just try and talk to her again soon. But I know that I've been such a pain already…," she moped.

A sweet smile crossed Ji Hoo's lips. He stood and went to her. "Try not to worry so much, Otter," he said, as he placed a hand on her shoulder. "I'm sure everything will be fine. Whatever it is, they can handle it."

Jan Di looked back at Ji Hoo over her shoulder—his hand still resting upon it—and she gave him a thankful smile. Ji Hoo's hand slid away, and he left her to go for more tea.

He returned to the table with the tea, refilling Jan Di's nearly empty cup, as well as his own. Then, he took his regular seat from across from her, and they continued eating their breakfast. And they took their time—enjoying the peace of knowing that they had a free day to themselves.

Grandfather had demanded that the two of them relax and enjoy their time off, and they knew that if they didn't they would never hear the end of it from Grandfather, so they decided to have a lazy day.

Ji Hoo was able to unwind much more easily than Jan Di, as a general rule. It was the kind of life he used to have, after all, before Jan Di, his Grandfather, and medical school came into the picture. But for Jan Di, she was not so used to it—having no work, no school, no obligations… For a girl who was accustomed to having multiple jobs and practically running her own household, it wasn't easy to allow herself to just relax.

But she did her best.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di lounged around the house for a while—reading and talking—and when boredom set in they decided to go to the movies.


At the theater, Ji Hoo bought their tickets, and then Jan Di went to use the restroom while he got popcorn and drinks for them. When Jan Di returned, she noticed that the girl behind the snack bar was flirting with Ji Hoo. Jan Di felt her body inexplicably tense up. She walked over but hung back for a moment, suddenly feeling strange about approaching the two.

The bubbly snack girl—who looked to be about 18—was speaking rapidly and giggling at practically everything he said. And she kept asking him all these questions—what movie he was seeing, where he went to school, why she hadn't seen him around before…

And she kept touching his arm…

The girl's shameless flirting caused Jan Di to inadvertently roll her eyes. Ji Hoo, on the other hand, seemed to be just being polite, or so she thought…

The girl finally went over to the popcorn machine and began to ultra-slowly fill the bag of popcorn to the brim.

Aigoo, how long does it take to scoop out a bag of popcorn? Jan Di thought bitterly.

Jan Di continued to stand back and watch the interaction, but when Ji Hoo turned and gave her a casual 'hey,' she slowly sidled up next to him.

When Jan Di arrived at Ji Hoo's side, the look of embarrassment—and clear disappointment—on the snack girl's face was unmistakable. And she quickly tried to make up for her flirting by commenting on what a cute couple they were…

Jan Di flushed slightly, though it wasn't like she was unused to getting comments like that…


She often went places alone with Ji Hoo, and many people had thought they were a couple—and usually, neither of them bothered to correct the mistaken party unless it was directly said to them.

Of course, the notion that Jan Di might be with Ji Hoo didn't always stop women from trying to flirt with him… She always noticed when they did, but he always seemed oblivious—or perhaps just apathetic. Actually, it was a bit annoying to Jan Di—the way girls acted around him…

But then again, she knew that she shouldn't be so judgmental. She was not immune to Ji Hoo's charms, either. After all, she had once been reduced to a pile of mush in his presence…

But now they were friends and she was comfortable with him…


Before Jan Di could tell the girl behind the counter that they were just friends, Ji Hoo beat her to it. He thanked the girl and took the popcorn and drinks, handing Jan Di hers. And then, he put an arm around Jan Di's shoulders and led her from the lobby and into the theater.

Jan Di felt strangely bothered. Ji Hoo had only spoken the truth, but why was he so quick to deny that they were together? Did he like the snack girl?

Jan Di felt possessive and ridiculous. She had no claim to him, nor any right to be upset. And it made her feel ashamed. She tightened and decided to just forget about it. It was stupid and useless to let something like that get to her…

Still, it was an upsetting revelation for Jan Di—just how much it actually bothered her when girls showed interest in Ji Hoo—and she wished that Ga Eul was around to talk her through it.

But Jan Di managed to tuck away her petty jealousy over the not-so-uncommon occurrence of another girl's interest in her sunbae and enjoy the movie…

Jan Di nestled into the red leather seat beside Ji Hoo, her arm resting lightly against his. And she allowed her irritation to drift away with the entrance of the credits. And before she knew it, she had forgotten all about the snack girl and was smiling and laughing at the movie along with Ji Hoo.

It was a romantic dramedy.

Jan Di especially enjoyed watching movies with Ji Hoo because he had the perfect balance between sitting there watching silently and making funny comments to her.

When a romantic scene came on, Jan Di averted her eyes from the screen. And she tried not to look at Ji Hoo, either, but their eyes managed to meet anyway, as if magnetic. And she quickly glanced away, hoping he didn't sense her unease. She didn't want him to think she was immature for looking away during those parts sometimes...

And Jan Di recalled watching a romantic movie for the first time with Jun Pyo. It was at his home, and he'd had a screen set up outdoors—creating a makeshift drive-in theater. Jan Di's emotions were all over the place that night, especially when Jun Pyo began to lean toward her for a kiss. She'd snapped her eyes shut and worked to control her wildly beating heart while waiting for the kiss, but due to an interruption, it never came. And the memory made Jan Di miss Jun Pyo even more; he'd been very busy lately…

On the other hand, Jan Di was much more comfortable watching romantic movies with Ji Hoo. For one, she knew he wouldn't be expecting a kiss from her—obviously. But then, why in the world did she get the slightest of flutters when he looked at her just now? Surely, she was just caught up in the film and misplacing the emotions it evoked—along with the memory of her first movie date with Jun Pyo…

In that moment, Ji Hoo leaned toward her, and she flinched. She breathed a sigh of relief when he only whispered something in her ear about the movie. The comment was particularly hilarious; she stifled and laugh, and in an instant, her discomfort was forgotten.


After the movie, as they exited, Jan Di noticed the snack girl waving at Ji Hoo. He threw up a polite, static wave and then turned back to look at Jan Di. She cast her eyes to the side.

Jan Di noticed out of the corner of her eye that Ji Hoo was looking at her curiously as they walked together, so she put on a smile and began talking about the movie—preemptively changing the subject before he could ask her what was wrong. She really didn't want to dive into all that right now—and she certainly didn't want him to know about the twinge of jealousy she felt over the snack girl...


Ji Hoo and Jan Di returned home and decided to have some hot cocoa. Jan Di sat down on the couch, while Ji Hoo prepared it for them—he tossed some extra white, fluffy marshmallows into Jan Di's mug.

Ji Hoo handed her the mug, cautioning her about it being hot, and then he sat down next to her. She thanked him and took hold of the mug by the handle. Jan Di blew into the cup and took a careful sip. She set it down on the coffee table, for it was still a bit too hot to drink.

Then, Jan Di slapped her hands against her jeans and glanced over at Ji Hoo; he was blowing lightly upon his cocoa. She considered asking him casually about the snack girl but thought better of it.

On the bright side, the distraction had briefly taken her mind off Ga Eul and Yi Jeong. But now, they popped back into her head again. And somehow, that seemed a much safer topic…

"You know, sometimes I still can't believe that Ga Eul and Yi Jeong Sunbae are together…," Jan Di mused. "They're so different…"

"Yes, well the heart is a mysterious thing…," Ji Hoo commented before bringing the cup to his lips again.

"It certainly is." Jan Di knew this all too well.

"And opposites seem to attract, don't they, Geum Jan Di?" he smirked over at her.

She nodded, smiling faintly. "I suppose so," and she paused. "But it isn't really like that, is it?"

"What do you mean, Jan Di-yah?"

"Love. It's not really about the heart or opposites or anything like that, is it? And it's not really so mysterious…now that I know how it works…"

Ji Hoo his chin. "And how does it work, Jan Di-yah?" he asked.

"Well, I wasn't expecting a pop quiz today, Professor Yoon," Jan Di teased.

He grinned. "That's the whole point of the pop quiz, Geum Jan Di-ssi."

She smiled and nodded, "Right."

"So, tell me, good student, about the physiology of love…" He rested his hands in his lap and looked upon her intently.

Jan Di tightened and then took a deep breath. "Well, it's more about the brain than the heart."

Ji Hoo nodded. "Yes. And what part of the brain is involved?"

"Well, that's really a trick question, Sunbae. It's not just one part."

"Very good. I'm impressed, Jan Di-yah. What parts then?"

"The cerebral cortex and the…striatum."

"Yes, among other areas. What about the hypothalamus?"

"Well, yes, that, too. It's involved in…," Jan Di looked away, fighting a sudden blush. And she gave a throat-clear. "…basic impulses, including attraction…and…um, sensual feelings..."

"Yes. Very good."

Jan Di turned back to him, smirking slightly, "That area seems to be much more active in you guys…"

Ji Hoo laughed. "Yes, I suppose you're right. In some more than others…," he grinned.

Jan Di gave him a thin-lipped smile. "True."

Ji Hoo cleared his throat. "Well, go on…how does love occur?"

Jan Di picked up a couch pillow, squeezing it against her chest. "Well, when a person comes across a potential…um…mate, the cerebral cortex receives input from the senses, like…," she raised her eyes skyward. "Like…visual cues regarding attractiveness, auditory cues indicating a pleasing voice, pheromones, and somatosensory cues…"

Ji Hoo smiled and nodded. "Very good. I'm impressed, Doctor Jan Di. I see you have been studying your biochemistry. What happens next?"

Jan Di pursed her lips. "Well, Seonsaengnim," she grinned over at him, and he smiled in turn, "…then the neurotransmitters are activated…"

"Yes, and which ones are involved?"

"…Mainly dopamine and serotonin."

"Good. And how are they classified?" Ji Hoo continued to test his student.

"They are monoamines."

"Very good. And what do they do?"

"Well, dopamine causes feelings of euphoria, and serotonin regulates mood."

"Excellent." Ji Hoo was looking at her with a proud, almost adoring look upon his face.

Jan Di gave him a tender smile before looking away. "Wow, this is such a romantic conversation, isn't it, Sunbae?" she joked.

And they both laughed.

"More romantic than your conversations with Jun Pyo?" Ji Hoo ventured, curiously.

He wasn't sure what had possessed him to say such a thing; it had just flown right out...and he immediately regretted it. He turned from her with an inward groan.

Jan Di's eyes shot to the floor, and she squeezed the cushion tighter. "Well, Jun Pyo isn't really one to be romantic with his words. He's more about letting his actions speak, I guess."

"That's true," Ji Hoo replied. "Jun Pyo's the type to shoot off his mouth and really piss you off and then send flowers to make up for it…"

Jan Di was silent, and Ji Hoo turned back to her, mentally berating himself for shooting off his own mouth with such a stupid, insensitive comment. That wasn't like him, to talk so freely and put his foot in his mouth like that. "Oh, I'm so sorry, Jan Di-yah. That was really rude of me. I didn't mean it like that… I was only joking, but it came out all wrong…"

"No," she muttered, staring down at her feet and still hugging the pillow, "That's pretty accurate, actually…"

And she recalled a time as of late when he had done just that. But she was mostly to blame, she supposed…


Jan Di had recently mentioned to Jun Pyo how hard medical school was and how exhausted she was from it. And it caught her completely off-guard when he suggested that she just forget it entirely, quit, and let him take care of her…

Well, she'd flown off the handle and yelled at him about it, accusing him of not understanding her or what was important to her at all!

Afterward, Jan Di felt awful. She knew that Jun Pyo had only said what he did out of care for her, but medical school was far too important to her to give up. She couldn't possibly give it up—it wasn't even an option.

Although, she had to admit that she was really afraid that she would flunk out and be forced to give it up—her dream… Jun Pyo mentioning quitting had brought that very real fear to the foreground…

Jan Di had simply wanted to vent to Jun Pyo and perhaps, maybe get a little reassurance from him that she could do it. But she shouldn't have expected him to know what she was looking for…

Well, Jun Pyo had gotten huffy about it, of course, and they fought… But then, the next day he sent flowers, apologizing and encouraging her with a Hwaiting! She ended up apologizing, too, and they had a good talk about it.


Ji Hoo brought the conversation back to the topic at hand, stirring her from her reverie.

"What about romantic love then? What are the roles of dopamine and serotonin in romantic love?" he asked.

"Well, they cause those feelings you get when you're madly in love…" Jan Di picked up her cocoa and took a drink.

Ji Hoo folded his arms. "Such as?"

Jan Di stared down into her mug, suddenly mesmerized by the swirling chocolate. "Like…feelings of elation, a racing heart, and that addictive can't-get-enough of the person feeling, which is very similar to a drug addiction, or having obsessive-compulsive disorder, actually…"

Jan Di looked over at Ji Hoo when she heard him give off a small chuckle.

"What is it?" she asked. "Was I wrong?"

Ji Hoo shook his head in a jovial fashion. "No, you were right. I just…love it when you talk like that…," he said with a lopsided smile.

Jan Di blinked a few times. And Ji Hoo looked away upon realizing how flirtatious his statement must have sounded. "What I mean is, well, you know, scientifically," he explained, rubbing the back of his neck.

The corners of Jan Di's lips curved. "Well, I can't believe we're talking about school on our break, but you know what? I kind of enjoy it…"

"Me too…," he nodded, his voice trailing off.

After a few seconds, she hesitantly met his eyes, and he gave her a disarming smile. "Well, I'm very proud of you, Otter. You've learned a lot."

She smiled genuinely.

Ji Hoo glanced down at his hands. "You should tell Jun Pyo all that and see what he says…," he joked.

"Oh, well he'd probably find it extremely boring, or call it crazy or something..." Jan Di smiled.


Early that morning, in Sweden…

At Mr. Andersson's behest, Yi Jeong went to meet with him prior to picking up Ga Eul for their day's outings. The Swede had simply said that he had something important to discuss with Yi Jeong, so Yi Jeong had no idea what he was walking into.

Yi Jeong stood before the desk of Mr. Andersson with his head bowed. He was certainly not prepared for what the Swedish billionaire had to say.

Mr. Andersson was not the type of man to beat around the bush at all, and he immediately got to the purpose of the meeting. "So Yi Jeong, I am planning to retire soon," he informed Yi Jeong from behind his massive desk.

Yi Jeong nodded. "I see."

"And I'd like to name you as my successor."

"What?"

Mr. Andersson nodded and flashed him a grin. "That's right, So Yi Jeong. Surprised?"

"Yes, quite, sir," Yi Jeong nodded.

Stunned was more like it…

And Yi Jeong considered it—it was an incredible opportunity—but only for a moment. Great opportunity or not, it wasn't what he wanted. "I'm very flattered, sir, but I can't possibly accept."

Mr. Andersson's brow wrinkled, and he stared at Yi Jeong from behind those cold eyes of his, as if he couldn't even comprehend his response.

"I have my own responsibilities back in South Korea, to my family, and to my grandfather's museum," Yi Jeong explained.

And to someone, who I promised I would return to

Mr. Andersson nodded. "I've spoken with your grandfather, though, and he likes the idea…," he said.

"My grandfather?"

"Yes. We are acquainted from long ago. I'm surprised you didn't know that."

Yi Jeong did not know; in fact, he was flabbergasted. And he didn't exactly like that the discussion had taken place behind his back.

"You wouldn't necessarily need to live here," Mr. Andersson added, noticing Yi Jeong's clear hesitation. "You could travel back and forth, and surely you would have people under you to take care of the day to day back home. This won't be happening for a few years anyway. Perhaps your situation will change by then. Do consider it."

"Forgive me, sir, I am flattered, but surely there must be someone better suited for the job than me."

"Not in my opinion," he said bluntly.

"Perhaps Miss Andersson?" Yi Jeong suggested.

"Well, I was considering my daughter, and I suppose she's capable enough, but it's really more of a male role."

Yi Jeong was silent.

"And speaking of my daughter, perhaps I am being bold in saying this, but you two seem to get along quite well."

Yi Jeong gave him the slightest of nods.

"I normally wouldn't consider allowing my daughter to date someone of a different culture, but for you, I would make an exception, my boy," Mr. Andersson folded his hands and leaned forward across his desk. "It's just too bad you're involved with someone…" It was more of a question rather than a statement as if to confirm the status of the girl he had seen with Yi Jeong.

Yi Jeong nodded. "Yes, well I am flattered for the consideration, sir, but I prefer to keep my work and personal life separate," he said, neither wanting to confirm nor deny to Mr. Andersson who Ga Eul was.

"Of course. That's a good man, smart. But, I hope you'll reconsider the offer for the position. I do have another option in mind as my replacement, but he would be my second choice. And I don't really want to go with him for various reasons. So, think about it. I would make it well worth your while."

Before Yi Jeong could open his mouth to speak, Mr. Andersson waved him off with a hand. "That'll be all."

Yi Jeong bowed and left Mr. Andersson's office. He sighed and stuck his hands into his pockets, as he headed down the long corridor and back to the main foyer of the museum.


Later that morning…

Yi Jeong would be picking her up soon, so Ga Eul was readying herself for the day. Shortly after she began, though, he called to inform her that he would be a little late. Ga Eul swallowed her disappointment; it went down like bitter medicine, for she was always so eager to see him… And she decided to use the time to call Jan Di.

Jan Di had seemed worried when they spoke before, and not to mention, there were a few things on Ga Eul's mind that could use a best friend's ear.

The two women managed to connect, and Ga Eul informed Jan Di of the events of her trip so far—of the places they'd gone, and of meeting the Anderssons…

"Oh, her, really? What was she like?" Jan Di asked of Elise. Ga Eul could practically hear the scowl in Jan Di's voice. Clearly, she was being protective again.

Ga Eul thought for a moment on how to describe Elise. "She was…I don't quite know how to describe her… Basically, she was perfect in every way, except…I don't think she liked me very much…"

"Why do you think that, Ga Eul-ah?"

Ga Eul pursed her lips. "Well, I just got the feeling and…," she released a sigh. "Because…I think she likes Yi Jeong Sunbae…"

Ga Eul sat upon the edge of her hotel bed.

Jan Di released her breath in a huff. "What are you going to do, Ga Eul-ah?"

"Nothing. What can I do? Besides, I don't think he reciprocates her feelings. And I trust him."

And Ga Eul did trust Yi Jeong, but to have such a beautiful woman with feelings for him around him constantly...it made her feel a bit unsettled. And she berated herself for her insecurity…

"Good. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about, Ga Eul-ah," Jan Di reassured.

Ga Eul fell silent.

"Ga Eul-ah, really… Yi Jeong Sunbae loves you."

And Ga Eul smiled on her end. "Gomawo, Jan Di-yah. I know. You're right. I'm just being silly…"

There was a brief silence again.

"Was there something else bothering you, Ga Eul-ah?" Jan Di asked when Ga Eul remained quiet.

"Well…there is one other thing…," Ga Eul garnered her courage and spilled to Jan Di about her nervousness over being alone with Yi Jeong—in an intimate way...

Jan Di let out a small gasp. "Did he try something?! If he did, I'll kill him!" she demanded, getting all up in arms.

The corners of Ga Eul's mouth twitched. "No, no, not at all, Jan Di-yah. Don't worry," Ga Eul replied.

"Good," Jan Di sighed in relief.

Ga Eul hesitated and took a deep breath before asking, "Jan Di, um, I was wondering…how far…have you taken things with Jun Pyo Sunbae?"

"What?!" Jan Di exclaimed, feeling her cheeks heat up.

"I'm sorry to ask, Jan Di-yah, but the subject has really been on my mind lately… I know that's really personal, but we're best friends. We should be able to talk about these things, right?"

"Y-yes," Jan Di stammered. She puffed out her cheeks and then told Ga Eul that she and Jun Pyo had only gone as far as kisses.

"Kisses…or kissing…?"

"What's the difference?"

"Well…," and Ga Eul explained what she meant.

Jan Di's discomfort with the conversation increased, but she responded, "Ah, well…I guess it would be just kisses then…"

Ga Eul nodded. "Any…um…touching…or anything else?" she asked with a tentative curiosity.

"No…," Jan Di admitted, and suddenly she was feeling rather embarrassed by her lack of knowledge and experience. She must seem so immature, though Ga Eul was certainly too kind to admit that.

But then again, Gu Jun Pyo was nearly as inexperienced as she. Despite his bravado, he was just as terrified as she about taking their romance to the next level… And not to mention, with all the trials in their relationship and then him going to the United States, it wasn't like they'd had many opportunities to even be alone together. Even when they had been left alone in Jae Kyung's romantic honeymoon suite, nothing had happened…

She'd actually spent far more cumulative hours alone with Ji Hoo than Jun Pyo…

Ga Eul continued to speak shyly yet freely. "Jan Di-yah, I think…I might…want to take things a bit further with him…"

"Ga Eul-ah…," Jan Di's mouth hung open. She quickly shut it tight, in order to stop herself from saying anything judgmental. It really wasn't her place, after all. And though she worried about Ga Eul being hurt or moving too quickly, Jan Di knew that Ji Hoo was right. It was between Ga Eul and Yi Jeong. So, all she could do was simply hear her best friend out.

But it was still in her nature to look out for Ga Eul. "He isn't…pressuring you, is he?" Jan Di asked.

"No, Jan Di. Not at all. Just the opposite, actually. He's really been a gentleman. He even told me he would never pressure me and that he isn't expecting anything… Really, it's more me, I think… There were a couple times when it seemed like things were starting to…go somewhere…and I felt…very little control. I was really excited…and I…wanted it to happen…"

It was rather freeing for Ga Eul to admit…

Jan Di's discomfort level rose another notch, but she tempered it. And she released a slow burst of air. "Ga Eul-ah, are you sure about this?"

Ga Eul released a heavy sigh. "No, I'm not really sure. It's probably a terrible idea… And I'm not really planning to take it…all the way, you know, not for a while anyway… But I'd…like to experience…more, you know?"

Jan Di poked out her cheeks—which were completely flushed from the awkward conversation. "I understand, Ga Eul-ah…but please, just think carefully about this. You don't have to rush into anything you aren't ready for..."

Ga Eul nodded on her end. "I know, and I won't." And Ga Eul paused before asking, "Do you think badly of me, Jan Di-yah?"

"Of course not, Ga Eul-ah," Jan Di responded immediately.

And Jan Di didn't. She knew what it was like to be so in love and to feel those kinds of urges, despite her fears…

"It's only natural to want to experience all types of affection from that one person when you are in love…," Jan Di added.

Ga Eul smiled. "Yes. Gomawo, Jan Di-yah."


Yi Jeong arrived to take Ga Eul out for the day. Today, they were going to Djurgarden—a small lush island along the harbor, comprised of historical buildings, monuments, museums, and an amusement park. They would also be visiting several UNESCO World Heritage sites.

Yi Jeong had explained to Ga Eul that Stockholm was filled with great museums, tons of shopping, and beautiful parks. And he had told her that he wanted to show her everything that the city had to offer, but there was so much to see…

And Ga Eul didn't know how they could possibly see everything… He had obligations, so he couldn't very well be constantly at her side… And she would eventually be going home—though she didn't like to think about that…

But Yi Jeong had not even told her when he would be sending her home, and she hadn't asked because—for now—she was just going with the flow and enjoying the time she had. She knew that all too soon it would be over…

Their day together was amazing—and it seemed that each day she spent with him simply got better and better… It was one incredible surprise after another with Yi Jeong…

During the days, it was not so difficult for Ga Eul to keep her emotions—and raging hormones—in check, but the nights were more challenging…

Each time he dropped her off, she desperately wanted to invite him in, but she fought it…

It wasn't like they didn't express their affection, though… They would exchange kisses, hug, and hold hands, but since that night at his place, they had not allowed themselves to let go and things to heat up…

Ga Eul knew that Yi Jeong was holding back, but what he probably didn't know was that she was holding back, too. And he surely had no idea how extremely difficult it was for her…

It took every ounce of her willpower to restrain herself when every piece of her wanted to touch him and feel him—she ached for it. She ached to feel his lips against hers, against her skin, to feel his skin against hers… When she lay down in bed at night, she wanted him beside her…

It made her feel so…dirty. It wasn't like her at all, and she had never been that type of girl... But with him, it was like some kind of addiction. What had he done to her?

In telling Jan Di, Ga Eul supposed that she had hoped to receive either reassurance that it was OK to let herself go, or—the more likely thing—a convincing enough argument against it.

Jan Di's feelings on that matter had been clear enough, albeit more lukewarm than Ga Eul anticipated. She had expected her best friend to rant and rave at her and completely talk her out of it… And Ga Eul had to admit that Jan Di did have some sway over her decisions. Aside from the obvious fears of consequences and maintaining her virtue, Ga Eul had to admit that she truly did not want to disappoint her best friend.

Jan Di… She had been Ga Eul's protector since kindergarten…

It all began with a shy young girl swinging alone on the playground…


15 years ago…

Five-year-old Ga Eul's long, dark hair was clipped back with a butterfly barrette. She was sitting on the swing and watching the other kids running around—not because she didn't want to play with them, but because she was afraid to approach them…

What if they didn't like her? What if they didn't want to play with her?

Ga Eul dug her heels into the dirt and pushed off, beginning to swing back and forth.

All of a sudden, a girl with short black hair—pulled back in pigtails—sat down on the swing next to Ga Eul and looked over at her. Ga Eul slowed her swing and met the girl's eyes.

"Annyeong! I'm Geum Jan Di! What's your name?" the girl asked. She wore a vivid smile upon her face.

Ga Eul smiled back faintly. "I'm Chu Ga Eul," and she bowed her head.

"It's nice to meet you!" the bubbly girl exclaimed. And then she began chattering away—while swinging beside her—asking Ga Eul all sorts of questions and telling her about herself.

Geum Jan Di told Ga Eul about her family. She was an only child, and her parents were dry cleaners. And Jan Di had many stories about her appa getting into trouble.

And from that day forward, Geum Jan Di and Chu Ga Eul were inseparable…


Jan Di always came up to Ga Eul on the playground. They played, talked, and laughed together. They began having lunch together, too, and they even sat across from each other in class. Ga Eul had never noticed her before.

One day, Geum Jan Di was absent, and Ga Eul was all alone again. On that day, an older boy began picking on Ga Eul. He taunted her with names, chased her around, yanked on her hair, and caused her to trip, scuffing her leg.

Fortunately, he wasn't in Ga Eul's class, so she didn't see him the rest of the day, but she still dreaded seeing him the next day at recess. Ga Eul told her mother about it that evening, and her eomma suggested that she ignore the boy—saying that he probably just liked her and was trying to get her attention. And then her eomma told her to stand up to him or tell an adult if he didn't leave her alone.

The next day, Jan Di was back, and the boy approached both of them, while they stood talking next to the monkey bars. Ga Eul had decided she was going to be brave and stand up to the boy, despite how hard it was for her to be assertive.

And she stood her ground, while the boy about what she was wearing that day and called her a little baby.

Ga Eul clenched her fists at her sides. "Leave me alone," she demanded, her body trembling lightly.

"Oh yeah? Why should I?" the cocky boy taunted, as he approached Ga Eul.

Ga Eul swallowed and prepared to speak. But it was then that Geum Jan Di stepped forward and placed herself between Ga Eul and the boy. "Because she said so, babo!" Jan Di shouted at him.

"What did you just say, little girl?!" the boy shouted back and got in Jan Di's face. Immediately, she gave him a rough shove. The unexpected and forceful push caused the bully to fall backward and onto the ground on his rear end.

Ga Eul's eyes went wide and dropped open.

Geum Jan Di stood over Ga Eul's tormentor and pointed a finger at him, while he sat there in the dirt, staring up at her in shock. "You, don't you ever be mean to my best friend again, or I'll make you pay!"

The boy continued to stare for a few seconds longer. Then, he stood up and hovered over her. Jan Di clenched her jaw and glared straight into his eyes. And then the boy took off.

Jan Di turned back to Ga Eul. "Are you OK?" she asked, placing a hand on Ga Eul's shoulder.

"Yes," Ga Eul shook her head up and down, but she was still a bit in shock herself.

"Oh good! Now, let's go play!" Jan Di put on a big smile, clasped onto Ga Eul's hand and tugged, and they ran off together.

When Jan Di shoved the older boy, she had started something of a war with him and his friends, and for the next two weeks, they tried to get back at Geum Jan Di and Chu Ga Eul. But the girls stuck together, and Jan Di always held her ground. And it didn't take long for the boys to realize that Geum Jan Di was not to be trifled with. Before long, they were afraid of her and kept clear of Jan Di and Ga Eul entirely.

From that day onward, everyone at school knew that if they took on Chu Ga Eul they also took on Geum Jan Di…

Ga Eul had briefly worried about Jan Di when she told her of her dealings with F4… It was like kindergarten all over again—taken up a notch. But Ga Eul knew that Jan Di could handle those spoiled, rich brats if anyone could… And she had been right. And it was interesting where it had led them both…


The Present…

Ji Hoo and Jan Di were hanging out together in his home, both seated on the couch. Ji Hoo was reading, and Jan Di was messing around on her phone, but she would occasionally stop to listen to him read poetry or play a melody on the piano.

Boredom had set in again, but it was a peaceful, comfortable boredom. And for a while, Jan Di had been enjoying the serenity of just relaxing around the house with Ji Hoo.

But her earlier conversation with Ga Eul kept forcing itself back into her mind, like a rude, frantic bargain hunter on a sale day.

Ji Hoo glimpsed Jan Di and studied her for a moment before asking directly, "Are you still worried about Ga Eul?"

Jan Di sighed. "How did you know, Sunbae?" she moped.

Ji Hoo smiled affectionately at the adorably miserable look on her face. He put the book he'd been reading down in his lap. "Do you need to ask, Otter? How long have we known each other? I can read you just like this book. I think I know you better than I know myself, actually."

Jan Di exhaled; she stood up and began to pace. "Ahh, yes, you're right. I am worried, Sunbae…"

"What about?"

That wicked Casanova, seducing my best friend like this! She thought to herself.

Jan Di sighed, telling herself that she was overreacting. After all, Ga Eul had said herself that Yi Jeong was being a gentleman with her…

But then she recalled what Ga Eul had said about her desire to take things further with him…

What if he hurts her…physically, perhaps? What if she gets…?

And Jan Di suddenly shook her head violently back and forth, "No!"

Ji Hoo's eyes widened. "Are you alright, Jan Di-yah? What is it?"

"I can't allow it!" she shouted out like a crazy person.

"What? What can't you allow?"

Jan Di didn't answer but simply went on pacing.

"Why don't you sit down and relax, Jan Di-yah?" Ji Hoo called to her. "Come talk to me," he offered, as he patted the cushion next to him. Jan Di ignored Ji Hoo's initial request and continued her steady gait.

Ji Hoo gave her a moment before prodding further. And she reluctantly complied. Jan Di slumped down on the seat next to Ji Hoo, slapping her hands against her jeans. Ji Hoo watched her writhe for a moment before giving her sleeve a gentle tug. And she allowed him to slowly rest her against the back cushion of the couch.

Jan Di lay her head back against the couch cushion, and Ji Hoo gave her head a pat. Tenderly, he tucked back a stray strand of hair behind her ear, while noticing that she was due for another trim. She had been pleased with the way he cut her hair before, so now she always asked him to do it for her.

His gentle touch put her more at ease. "Oh, Sunbae…," she muttered. And she confessed to him about her talk with Ga Eul.

Ji Hoo delicately informed Jan Di that she needed to just allow Ga Eul to make her own decisions, and he praised Jan Di for holding her tongue as well as she did.

"There's nothing you can do but to trust that they will make the best choice for them. You should try not to let it bother you," he said.

Jan Di released a sigh and nodded. "You're right, Sunbae. There's nothing I can do about it, so there's no use in worrying, right? So, I should just let it go…" Jan Di cast her glance to the ceiling and fixed it there. She was clearly off in her own head again.

He nodded. "I think that would be wise."

Jan Di didn't seem to register his last comment, though. "Nothing I can do…," she repeated, while still staring up at the ceiling.

Ji Hoo smirked. "I can practically hear the gears turning in your head, little otter. Do you plan to do something? If so, you should let me in on it."

"Ahh, well you were right, Sunbae. It's their life, and it's not like I have any say in the matter… And it's not like I can just pick up and go to Sweden and follow them around to make sure…," her voice trailed off and a sparkle danced in Jan Di's eye as if she was actually considering it.

She glanced to Ji Hoo and then looked away. "No! I definitely can't do that! That's crazy!"

"You want to go to Sweden?" Ji Hoo asked.

Jan Di released her breath. "No. …Well, it would be nice to see her and to know that she's OK…but there's no way I could—"

"Because I was going to say that I think it could be arranged, Jan Di," Ji Hoo interjected.

"Really?"

"Yes. I could take you there if it'll make you feel better. We are on break, after all. It could be like a mini vacation."

"No, gomawo, but I couldn't ask that of you, Sunbae."

"I'm offering. It might be fun, and we're bored, right?"

Jan Di smirked over at Ji Hoo. It was funny how casually he suggested flying to another country just because they were bored. She suddenly wondered if he was crazier than she was… But—the most practical one or not—he was still a member of F4… So, it wasn't all that far-fetched.

"It would be nice to see Yi Jeong, too," Ji Hoo explained. Ji Hoo supposed the excuse was good enough for Jan Di—and he did want to see Yi Jeong—but the complete truth be told, he simply couldn't stand seeing her upset and worried. And he had to admit that he wouldn't mind taking a trip with her, either.

Jan Di couldn't believe they were actually considering this…

Ji Hoo pondered for a moment, resting his chin in his hand. "Though, I should probably check in with Yi Jeong. We would be intruding on their time together, after all…"

"Hm, yeah…," she nodded, but the wheels seemed to be turning in Jan Di's head again. "…But maybe we wouldn't have to intrude upon them…"

"What do you mean, Otter?"

Jan Di placed a finger upon her chin. "Well, maybe they wouldn't even have to know we were there…"

"How are we going to manage that? Are you suggesting we spy on them, Jan Di-yah?" he grinned. "Who knew Geum Jan Di was so diabolical?"

Jan Di gave him a sheepish look.

It wasn't like it would be her first time spying on Ga Eul and Yi Jeong… And she recalled trailing the two of them with Jun Pyo after Ga Eul called to inform her that she was going on a date with the infamous Casanova. But then, she'd never traveled to a foreign country to stalk them…

"Well, not spy exactly, but maybe we could just see that everything is alright and then go on our way…"

Oh but, that's crazy, isn't it, Sunbae? To spend that much for such a thing…"

"No, I wouldn't say crazy exactly, Jan Di," he smirked.


The Next Day…

Jan Di and Ji Hoo arrived in Sweden and checked into two separate rooms at the hotel that Ga Eul was also staying at. After checking, they discovered that Ga Eul was not in.

Jan Di marveled at the hotel. Though it was not so extravagant as a Shinwha hotel, it was certainly beautiful.

After briefly settling in, they had a 'what now' moment, and then Ji Hoo suggested that they go out and see the city. "Unless you'd rather get right to tracking down Yi Jeong and Ga Eul," he quipped. Jan Di chuckled and gave him a light shove.

Ji Hoo asked Jan Di about her plan for checking in on Ga Eul and Yi Jeong, and she admitted that she hadn't really thought it through. All she knew was where Ga Eul was staying, and Ji Hoo knew where Yi Jeong was temporarily living. Ga Eul had mentioned to Jan Di a few places they were planning to go, but Jan Di didn't know where exactly they would be… Jan Di supposed she could call Ga Eul and ask, but she might get suspicious.

So, for the time being, Jan Di agreed to go for a tour with Ji Hoo.

As they walked together out of the hotel, Jan Di began to rethink her devious plan, however, and asked of Ji Hoo, "Do you think she'll be mad at me for coming?"

"No, I don't think she'll be mad. I'm sure she'll be happy to see you."

"I feel…sort of guilty, Sunbae, for coming here…"

"Don't. We have every right to travel anywhere we want to," he replied. "This is our vacation, remember?"

Jan Di gave him a smile and nodded.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di walked along the harbor of Stockholm. The water and the boats reminded Jan Di a bit of Macau. Although Stockholm's harbor was much wider and more open than the narrow, romantic canals of Macau, Jan Di certainly had a moment of déjà vu.

And a wistful smile crossed Jan Di's lips…

When she thought of Macau, Jan Di's emotions were mixed. On one hand, it had been a terrible, heartbreaking experience for her. But on the other hand, Macau also comprised some of her fondest memories—memories of spending time with Ji Hoo.

And here she was, touring yet another foreign city with her sunbae.

Jan Di had left a message informing Jun Pyo that she and Ji Hoo were going to Stockholm. When he got back to her, he'd wondered why she was going. She had to admit that it was hard to explain, and she was sure he thought her crazy when she gave him her reasoning.


Ji Hoo and Jan Di toured the Royal Palace of Stockholm, Europe's largest palace and the residence of the Swedish king. It was incredible, and Jan Di enjoyed it, but she enjoyed Ji Hoo's reaction to it even more. Jan Di could tell that Ji Hoo was in love with all the ornate art there—she was sure he could have stayed there for days—and they practically got lost attempting to see all they could of the palace's five museums and 600 rooms.

After touring the Swedish Palace's Museum of Antiquities, Treasury, and Armory, Ji Hoo and Jan Di warmed and refreshed themselves at a nearby café. Then, they walked together along the cobblestone streets of the nearby neighborhood of Gamla Stan, browsing the shops.

Jan Di found a slouchy knitted beanie hat at one of the stands and put it on. "What do you think?"

Ji Hoo smiled affectionately. "It's cute," and he adjusted it for her.

"Hmm, needs something else…" Jan Di discovered a pair of large movie star style sunglasses and put those on, too. She looked at her reflection in a nearby stand mirror, and then she turned to Ji Hoo for approval.

"What about now?"

"Oh, much better," he chuckled.

"Do you think it'll be a good disguise?" she asked, hopefully.

"Well…," Ji Hoo began, stuffing his hands into his pockets and smiling, "It's very cute and stylish, but I can still tell that you are Geum Jan Di."

She looked disappointed.

"But you should get it anyway," Ji Hoo replied. He indicated to the storekeeper that he wanted the items and bought them for her.

Jan Di thanked him. Unfaltering, Jan Di then suggested that Ji Hoo also needed a disguise and she began trying various hats on him.

"I'm not much of a hat person, Jan Di," Ji Hoo protested.

"OK, well, what about…," she looked around. "Ohh! These?"

"Those are ski goggles, Jan Di," Ji Hoo informed, stifling a laugh as she held up the bulky black goggles to him. Regardless, she slipped them on his face. Ji Hoo checked the mirror and shook his head. "I don't think so, Jan Di-yah. I think I will be even more conspicuous wearing these off the slopes."

Jan Di pursed her lips. "But you need to wear something, Sunbae!"

"Otter, I really don't think there are any accessories that are going to hide us from Yi Jeong and Ga Eul. Short of plastic surgery, I think we are just going to have to keep out of their sight if you don't want them to know we're here."

Jan Di nodded.

"But, it's a big city. How hard can that be?"


What happened next seemed almost comically inevitable, as ironic as a Greek tragedy, after Ji Hoo's statement.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di continued walking along the streets when they noticed Ga Eul and Yi Jeong strolling toward them from the opposite direction. They were easy to spot—the only other two Koreans amidst a sea of Europeans.

Yi Jeong and Ga Eul were walking arm-in-arm and heading straight at Ji Hoo and Jan Di, but they were looking off another direction, toward the harbor. Jan Di saw them first, and she gasped. When Yi Jeong and Ga Eul slowly turned their heads, Jan Di panicked. And she clutched onto Ji Hoo's arm, yanking him aside and into an alley. Being nowhere else to go, she wedged the two of them into a crack between two brightly colored buildings.

It was a very tight space, and Ji Hoo was surprised that they both could fit. So, there they were—pressed flush against each other, just about as close as they could possibly be. And in her panic over potentially being discovered, Jan Di had buried her head into Ji Hoo's chest, while covering her face with both hands.

Ji Hoo took a slow, calming breath and attempted to steady his rapidly increasing heart rate at the feel of their closeness. Then, some strange unknown force seemed to take over, causing him to pull her in closer and tighter and wrap his arms around her back.

Jan Di stiffened, and he could swear he felt her own heartbeat quicken against him… But it was probably just the adrenaline of their narrow escape. A few seconds ticked by, and she relaxed a bit.

As he held her there, Ji Hoo could not help but smile. He had always found Jan Di's innocence and naivete to be cute and sweet, and it was endearing that she was trying to look out for her best friend. And Ji Hoo had to admit that he was rather enjoying himself, despite the ridiculousness of the whole thing.

Truth be told, he treasured these moments with her. For, he knew that all too soon, they would be over…

And Ji Hoo frowned at the thought.


Ji Hoo was not one to do impulsive things—at least not until Jan Di—yet here he was in Sweden. He'd told himself that he was doing it for her, to ease her anxiety and to give her a nice break… But, if he was being honest with himself, this whole trip had been as much for him as for her…

Oh, he knew it was a silly endeavor, but he had just wanted to get away and enjoy some time with her before it was too late… He couldn't help it. Couldn't he allow himself to spend time with her and enjoy himself while he had the chance? After all, it was only a matter of time before she would be the heiress of Shinwha…

And Ji Hoo knew all too well what would happen then…

Once Jun Pyo and Jan Di got married, everything would change… He could see it now…

He and Jan Di would promise to remain friends; they would promise to still see each other…and sure, he'd still see her—Jun Pyo was his best friend, after all.

He'd see her at the wedding, of course, which he had to admit that he was really dreading. He'd see her at social gatherings, as Jun Pyo would surely invite him and the rest of F4 to dinners and other events…

But he wouldn't have the quality time with her—alone—like this. Jun Pyo would surely never let Jan Di out of his sight, and it would be selfish of Ji Hoo to prevail upon her time and take her away from her husband anyway… Perhaps they would see each other while Jun Pyo was away on business, Ji Hoo thought. And he felt sad and pathetic to even be thinking of ways to steal some time away with her for himself…

But eventually, he'd start to see her less and less… Especially when she and Jun Pyo started a family…

And then nothing would ever be the same again…

Ji Hoo's one consolation was that hopefully, he would see her at work. Jan Di wanted to work at the Clinic, so they could work there together—they could be together at least five days a week, 8 hours a day—or perhaps they would even be at the same hospital during their internships and residencies… He hoped for this, and he planned to make it happen if he could… Their life's work and passion could be the thing that he and Jan Di could still share, the one bond that would remain unbroken…

But it wouldn't be the same… He would no longer be her sunbae, her friend, her firefighter—he would merely be her husband's best friend… And the thought of that tore at Ji Hoo's heart, much more than he knew it should.

The reason was evident. He was still very much in love with her…

The few people who knew of his plight—those being Yi Jeong, Woo Bin, and Grandfather—had all suggested that he would eventually find someone new and move on. But they didn't get it. They didn't know how he felt or how impossible that seemed to him. But maybe they were right. He couldn't see the way out of the deep, dark forest of his love right now, but maybe eventually, he would find it…


It was his overwhelming love that made moments like this one now seem like simultaneous bliss and torture for Ji Hoo, being so physically close to Jan Di—even touching her—but being unable to really touch her, the way he wanted to… And despite his thoughts and his hormones running wild, he had to simply stand there and control it.

But Ji Hoo let himself go more than he usually did when he pulled her further into him. He ventured even further still and rested his chin atop her head. Amazingly, she didn't resist or pull away—not that she had much room to do so—but she instead remained hidden in the soft fabric of his shirt.

"Are they gone?" Jan Di whispered after a moment. And Ji Hoo couldn't help but smile at the muffled tone her voice had taken from being pressed up against him and through her hands.

Ji Hoo knew he was being selfish and even a bit evil when he whispered, "No, not yet," even though the couple had already turned a corner and were well out of sight. But he couldn't help it; he wasn't ready to let go…

He wanted just a few more seconds like this with Jan Di… For, he knew that all too soon these moments with her would be nonexistent; they would die out—fading and withering like the petals of a cut rose…

Jan Di wriggled and attempted to peek through her hand, but Ji Hoo whispered, "Shh, be still…," to her. And she froze instantly.

"Ok," she muttered, as she remained against him in his shirt; she seemed fine with staying the way they were.

Ji Hoo closed his eyes, savoring it for a few more seconds before saying, "OK... They're gone now," and he gently took her hand and brought it down away from her face.

Jan Di breathed a sigh of relief, "Whew, that was close," she exclaimed, as she looked up at him with those big brown eyes he loved so much.

Ji Hoo's chest slowly rose and fell, as he moved his hands to rest upon her shoulders. "Yes, it was…," he breathed, and he fought the powerful urge to kiss her. He almost, almost leaned in…

They looked into each other's eyes for a few seconds longer than they should have, and then Jan Di emitted a small chuckle. And they laughed together at the whole scenario.

"What now, Geum Jan Di-ssi?" Ji Hoo asked, waiting for her to take the lead.

"Let's follow them, Sunbae," Jan Di whispered.

Ji Hoo silently smirked down at her for a few seconds before saying, "OK, let's go!"


Ga Eul's brow wrinkled, and she glanced back over her shoulder, as she and Yi Jeong walked together through the Old Town.

Ga Eul stopped and turned to Yi Jeong. "Did I just see who I think I saw? Or am I imagining things?" she asked, incredulous.

Yi Jeong groaned and rubbed his temples. "You're not imagining anything..."

Oh, Jan Di-yah…, Ga Eul shook her head, smirking at Jan Di's disguise.

"What are they doing here?" she asked aloud.

"I don't know, but I have the feeling that Jan Di had something to do with it," he replied.

"Hm, you're probably right..." She did seem worried about me, but to come all the way here…? Jan Di never ceased to amaze her.

"I can't believe they came here. Do you think we should let them know that we know they're here?" Ga Eul asked.

"Not yet. Let's punish them a little first," he grinned deviously.

"Punish them? How?"

Yi Jeong brought out his brilliant smile, and Ga Eul couldn't help but smile back.

"Just follow my lead," he replied, and he took hold of her hand tightly, accelerating their pace.


Ji Hoo and Jan Di stepped back onto the street, watching Yi Jeong and Ga Eul's backs as they walked steadily, holding hands. Yi Jeong got on his phone and almost immediately a car arrived to pick them up.

"Oh, they're getting away!" Jan Di exclaimed.

Ji Hoo glanced around and then hailed a taxi. And he and Jan Di quickly got in. Ji Hoo described it and gave the taxi driver the license plate number of Yi Jeong's vehicle and asked him to follow that car… The driver's brow furrowed; he turned back to question the order, looking at Ji Hoo as if he was crazy.

Perhaps he was, Ji Hoo thought.

Ji Hoo repeated, "Please follow that car and don't lose it," again—in Swedish and English—as he handed the driver two crisp 1,000 Swedish Krona bills.

The driver shrugged, took the money, and responded with a "Whatever you say, sir," before pulling out in a rush.

As they sat in the back of the cab, Jan Di began to feel guilty again. She felt intrusive and wondered why the much more rational Ji Hoo had not talked her out of her crazy scheme like he would normally do.

But it was too late now, so she might as well see it through…

"Have you ever followed anyone before, Sunbae?" she asked.

Ji Hoo grinned. "Well, yes, actually. I'm part of F4, remember?"

"Oh, right," she nodded.

"…Not quite like this exactly, though," he added. "What about you?"

"Well, um, sort of…"

Ji Hoo and Jan Di's driver—now properly motivated—managed to catch up to Ga Eul and Yi Jeong's driver's car, and they stopped behind them at a light. Jan Di could see the back of their heads through the window. Yi Jeong had an arm outstretched across the back of the seat. Then, she noticed Yi Jeong turn to look back out the window over his shoulder, and Jan Di quickly ducked down. Her head was practically resting on Ji Hoo's leg. "Jan Di-yah, what are you doing?" he asked with a playful smirk.

"Sunbae, get down; they'll see you!" she hissed. When he didn't move quickly enough, Jan Di clutched onto the collar of his shirt and yanked him down, causing their heads to bonk in the process.

"Ouch," they cried in unison.

The driver glanced into his mirror and shook his head at the antics of these crazy foreigners. They were speaking some Asian language that he didn't understand, and he had no idea what they were up to, but they paid well, so who was he to question?

"Jan Di-yah, are you OK?" Ji Hoo asked.

"Yes, I'm fine, Sunbae."

Ji Hoo peered up through the front window from his still slightly hunched position. Yi Jeong and Ga Eul's car had accelerated ahead, putting distance between the two cars again.

I think it's safe to come up now, Jan Di-yah," Ji Hoo informed her.


The pursuit continued when Yi Jeong and Ga Eul got out of their car. Ji Hoo and Jan Di got out, too, and followed them at a distance. Everything seemed to be going smoothly until Ji Hoo noticed that Yi Jeong had picked up his pace, and he and Ga Eul began to weave in and out of the shopping stalls haphazardly.

Ji Hoo strained to see where Yi Jeong and Ga Eul had gone, and then he caught sight of them again. "I think they're onto us, Jan Di-yah," Ji Hoo said.

Jan Di gaped. "I think you're right, Sunbae!"

"Perhaps we should throw in the towel?"

But the revelation seemed to only fuel Jan Di further. They were avoiding them!

"No way, never!" Jan Di protested. It had now become some kind of game for her—a challenge. And Geum Jan Di was not one to shrink away from a challenge.

Despite doing this for Jan Di, stalking a couple on a date seemed wrong, or at least immature, to Ji Hoo. It reminded him of when Jun Pyo had stalked Jan Di and him on their first—and only—date. But it was also undeniably amusing, fun even…

Ji Hoo grinned at her, and they sped up.


"So, should we meet up with them now?" Ga Eul asked.

"Not yet," Yi Jeong said slyly. "We'll see them in due time, but for now, let's continue to give them the slip."

Ga Eul nodded.

Then, Yi Jeong pointed toward the harbor. "Would you like to go for a boat ride?"

Ga Eul laughed. This was crazy, yet fun, and it made her feel like a kid again. And not to mention, she wasn't quite ready to give up her alone time with Yi Jeong. "Yes, let's go!" and she grasped his hand and they took off running.


"There they go!" Jan Di spotted them and pointed to where they were crossing the street hand-in-hand.

By now, even Ji Hoo had gotten into the spirit of things. "Let's catch up to them!" he said, and they both took off running after.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di made it to the edge of the water, just as Yi Jeong and Ga Eul boarded a small boat with a sign that read Hop-On, Hop-Off Sightseeing.

"Oh no, oh no! We missed the boat!" Jan Di exclaimed.

And Ji Hoo glanced around, looking for a plan B.

"They're getting away, Sunbae!" Jan Di cried out, as they watched the boat sail off.

Just then, a man nearby turned to them and asked in English if they were trying to get on the boat.

Ji Hoo nodded and asked in English, "Do you know when and where it docks?"

The man nodded, and he explained that it was a hop-on, hop-off boat and would be docking at City Hall to let off and pick up more passengers. He pointed to the next pier over.

"Thank you," Ji Hoo said, and then he clapped Jan Di on the back. "Let's go."

The boat was nearly at its destination, though. "We'll never make it…," Jan Di lamented.

Ji Hoo continued to look around and then he noticed something. "Yes, we will," he assured, as he took Jan Di's hand, "Come on!"

"S-sunbae…what are you doing?"

"Trust me," he smiled, as he dragged Jan Di by the hand over to a man who stood before a series of motorbikes.

Ji Hoo paid the man, put on a helmet, and hopped onto the rented motorbike. He handed a helmet to Jan Di and bid her get on behind him. She did so.

"Hang on tight, Otter," Ji Hoo grinned back at her. And she wrapped her arms around his waist as he sped off.

...


Ga Eul and Yi Jeong leaned against the railing on the deck of the boat and looked out over the crystal waters.

"I'm sorry about this…," Ga Eul muttered.

"Sorry about what, Ga Eul-yang?" he asked, as he wrapped his arm around her and rubbed her arm lightly to keep her warm.

"Well, Jan Di was worried about me, and that's why they're here; I'm sure of it. Because of my best friend's over-protectiveness, we're having to run around to escape them, in order to be alone."

Yi Jeong smiled brilliantly. "It's not your fault, Ga Eul-yang. And besides," he sighed. "I blame Ji Hoo more. He shouldn't just go along with Jan Di's whims. I really don't know what he was thinking bringing her here. So, apologize for my friend…"

Ga Eul smiled faintly. "No, it's OK. He just cares about her."

"I know he does. Perhaps a little too much… Ji Hoo should have more sense. Maybe I should have a talk with him."

"No, it's OK. You don't have to do that, Yi Jeong-ah."

"Well, he does need to learn how to move on. Or, it'll only be harder for him when Jun Pyo and Jan Di inevitably get married…"

"I know. I feel kind of bad for Ji Hoo Sunbae…"

"Don't worry. He'll find someone. It may take him years—at his pace—to let go, but he will."

She nodded. "Yes, he's very loyal," Ga Eul replied. That was the part she seemed to focus upon.

Yi Jeong gazed upon the profile of Ga Eul's lovely face, as she looked out over the calm, chilled water of the harbor. He pulled her in closer. Then, he turned her toward him so that he could look down into her eyes.

Ga Eul gazed up into his, and she smiled tenderly. "You know, it was actually a lot of fun today…trying to escape them…" And her smile grew wider as she recalled the way they held hands tight and took off running together, darting around and taking cover from their pursuers. It felt like a game of hide-n-seek from childhood.

"I'm glad you had fun," he said sweetly.

"And this now, it reminds me of old times," she said. "…you know, how we always used to discuss Jan Di and Jun Pyo Sunbae… Except now, we are discussing Jan Di and Ji Hoo Sunbae..."

Yi Jeong nodded. "I'll always prefer talking about us…," and he moved in closer. Ga Eul felt her breath hitch, as his fingertips grazed her jawline. He cupped her delicate face with both hands and leaned in to place a soft, lingering kiss upon her lips.


Jan Di and Ji Hoo made it to the boat in time and got on. They wound their way around the deck, looking for a place to stand while keeping an eye out for Yi Jeong and Ga Eul.

They found a good spot and settled against the railing. Ji Hoo was looking out, but Jan Di was momentarily fixated upon trying to catch sight of Yi Jeong and Ga Eul.

"Jan Di-yah, why don't you take a break from the covert op and take a look at this. You're missing an amazing view…"

"Just a minute, Sunbae," she said, as she gave the boat another scan with her eyes.

"It's too bad you don't have binoculars," Ji Hoo commented with a wry smile.

"I know," she agreed, without looking at him.

"I was joking," Ji Hoo chuckled. Suddenly, he took hold of her shoulders and pulled her over to the edge, forcing her to look out.

And Jan Di was immediately captivated by a gorgeous splatter of reds, yellows, and oranges, as the sun began to set over the harbor.

"Wow…," she uttered.


Ga Eul and Yi Jeong were also enjoying the breathtaking sunset. "It's so beautiful…," Ga Eul mused, unable to wipe her smile.

She felt so happy right now…

"Mm," Yi Jeong replied, as he held her close.

Then, Ga Eul caught sight of something else. From their position on the boat, she was able to see Jan Di and Ji Hoo, but they didn't seem to have noticed her.

"Oh, look, there they are…," Ga Eul pointed out, grinning.

Yi Jeong craned his neck to see and then shook his head. "Unbelievable…," he sighed. "I guess I have to give them credit for persistence." Then, Yi Jeong pulled his phone out of his pocket.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"It was fun for a while, but I'm bored of it. How about you? Shall we end this charade?"

Ga Eul smiled and nodded. "Yeah. I definitely enjoy being alone with you, Yi Jeong-ah, but it'll be nice to see them."

Yi Jeong hit a few keys and fixed his phone to his ear. It began to ring.


Ji Hoo felt his phone vibrating in his pocket and pulled it out. "Oh."

"Who is it, Sunbae?" Jan Di asked from beside him.

"It's Yi Jeong..."

Jan Di's brow wrinkled, and Ji Hoo answered.

"Yoboseyo," he spoke into his phone. "Yi Jeong-ah. Oh, nothing much. And what about you? Are you enjoying your time with Chu Ga Eul?"


With one hand still holding the phone, Yi Jeong took Ga Eul's hand in his other, and he began to lead her around the deck. She looked at him curiously but simply allowed him to guide her.

"I'm trying to," Yi Jeong spoke into the phone, "But there are…these two annoying little things I need to take care of first before I can fully do that…"

"Is that so?" Ji Hoo replied, with a smirk. "I do hope you can take care of them promptly then."

If it wasn't obvious enough before, it certainly was now. He definitely knows we're here, Ji Hoo thought.

"Oh, I will," Yi Jeong replied. And then he hung up.


Yi Jeong and Ga Eul stood behind Jan Di and Ji Hoo, who had their backs turned to them.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?" Yi Jeong spoke.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di spun around to face their earlier targets.

"Yi Jeong Sunbae… Ga Eul-ah…," Jan Di muttered guiltily.

Ji Hoo stuck his hands into his pockets and casually replied, "Annyeong, Yi Jeong. Ga Eul-ssi."

Yi Jeong folded his arms. "What a coincidence. I certainly did not expect to run into the two of you here…," he commented, looking rather annoyed. "You suddenly had the urge to visit Stockholm, did you?"

Jan Di looked up at Ji Hoo. He opened his mouth to speak—and she was sure he was going to offer some excuse to get her out of trouble. But she spoke first. "It was all my fault, Yi Jeong Sunbae! Mianhada!" Jan Di exclaimed. And she immediately gave a low bow.

As I expected…, Yi Jeong thought to himself.

Jan Di looked up again, wearing a sorrowful expression. Her eyes darted between Yi Jeong and Ga Eul. "Ga Eul-ah, we…well…I…was worried after we talked," Jan Di stammered, "…and I talked to Ji Hoo Sunbae… And we were on break and thought it would be…fun...," Jan Di shrugged, "…to take a trip and see you guys, so, well...we came…and then we saw you two, and so we followed…and…" Jan Di hung her head. "It was just a dumb idea that got a little out of hand… Mianhae, Ga Eul-ah!"

Yi Jeong looked to Ga Eul, who was staring at Jan Di. Ga Eul glanced around the boat, wondering what the other passengers must be thinking of their little show.

Then, Ga Eul turned back to Jan Di, who looked completely sincere in her regret. And Ga Eul broke out into laughter—she couldn't hold it in any longer.

Jan Di blinked a few times. "You're not mad, Ga Eul-ah?"

Ga Eul stifled her giggling and shook her head. "No, I'm not mad, Jan Di-yah." And she went to Jan Di and they embraced.

Yi Jeong fixed his eyes upon Ji Hoo, still maintaining his look of disapproval.

Not knowing what else to say, Ji Hoo cleared his throat and said, "Surprise!"

Yi Jeong sighed and shook his head at Ji Hoo, but then he went to him, and they clasped hands.


Ga Eul and Jan Di had their arms around each other and were chatting…

"When did you realize that we were there?" Jan Di asked of Ga Eul.

"Well, it was about the time when you ducked down that alleyway…"

"Oh," Jan Di gave a nervous smile. "So, basically the entire time."

"Yes," Ga Eul gave a nod and a chuckle.

Jan Di apologized again.

"It's really OK. It was actually pretty fun. It was like a game. And you two are quite formidable opponents!"

"What about you two?" Jan Di shot back. "We could barely keep up!"


At the next stop, the foursome got off the boat. They decided to have dinner together, and then the two couples walked together through the Christmas markets of Stortorget. They stopped at various red stalls to browse the local crafts and sample the foods that were displayed—gingerbread, sausage, cheeses, as well as glogg. Yi Jeong was certain to warn the girls about the alcohol content of the glogg.

Jan Di and Ga Eul walked ahead, arm-in-arm and chattering away, while Ji Hoo and Yi Jeong walked together behind them.

Ji Hoo exhaled and tucked his hands into his pockets. "I am sorry for the intrusion, Yi Jeong. I should have consulted with you."

Yi Jeong shook his head. "It's fine. What's done is done… How long are you two staying, anyway?"

"Just a couple of days. And don't worry. I don't intend to interfere. I'm sure I can keep Jan Di busy at least part of the time, so you and Ga Eul can spend time together."

"It's alright. You're only here a few days anyway…"

There was a silence.

"Yi Jeong, is everything alright with you?" Ji Hoo asked after a moment.

Yi Jeong tightened his mouth ever so slightly. "Yes, why?"

"Well, it's just that you seem—"

But before Ji Hoo could finish, he was interrupted by the girls squealing. They had gotten excited by a large illuminated Ferris wheel that stood out in the distance, and they were asking to ride it.


So, the group made their way to the Ferris wheel and bought tickets.

Yi Jeong and Ga Eul sat together in one gondola, and Ji Hoo and Jan Di took the next one under them. "Are you afraid, Ga Eul-yang?" Yi Jeong whispered, leaning toward her slightly.

Ga Eul put on a proud face. "Of course not, Yi Jeong Sunbae!"

He grinned. "Because I was going to say that if you are, I could protect you…," and he smoothly wrapped an arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer. And Ga Eul smiled, biting her lip lightly.

In the gondola below them, Jan Di was trying to catch a view of Ga Eul and Yi Jeong, to ensure he was keeping his hands to himself. She leaned forward slightly and craned her neck to see. When the Ferris wheel suddenly lurched forward and the gondola jerked, Jan Di was thrown back slightly. Ji Hoo put an arm out to steady her, as she clutched at the bar with one hand and onto his arm with her other.

"Oops, don't fall out now, Otter," he smiled over at her. She chuckled, and Ji Hoo helped to re-position her in her seat.

"I'm fine, Sunbae, gomawo," she smiled back.

After the ferris wheel, the four walked back toward the hotel where Jan Di, Ji Hoo, and Ga Eul were all staying. Along the way, Jan Di pointed out a pair of horse-drawn carriages.

"How about it, Jan Di-yah?" Ji Hoo asked. And Jan Di nodded.

Yi Jeong and Ji Hoo each paid a driver. Yi Jeong helped Ga Eul into one carriage, and Ji Hoo helped Jan Di into the other, and then the guys got into the carriages with the girls. The drivers offered each pair a thick, wool blanket to cover themselves.

Ga Eul snuggled in, and Yi Jeong slipped his hand into hers underneath the blanket.

As the horses trotted along, a soft, fluffy snow began to fall…

"It's so beautiful…," Ga Eul murmured. She smiled and looked to Yi Jeong, who was gazing lovingly upon her. He d the back of her cheek. "Yes, it is…"

Behind them, Jan Di was finally ignoring Yi Jeong and Ga Eul and taking in her surroundings.

"Wow…," Jan Di uttered, as she gazed up at the falling snowflakes and all around her.

Then she turned to Ji Hoo. "Sunbae…," she began.

"Yes?"

"Gomawo, for everything…"

Ji Hoo nodded. "Of course."

"Today was really fun, S-sun-bae…," Jan Di's voice trailed off and she let out a yawn.

Ji Hoo grinned at her. "The otter is jetlagged?"

Jan Di nodded, "Just a little…," and her eyelashes began to flutter.

Ji Hoo smiled and looked out to his left when he caught sight of something—a giant lighted Christmas tree. "Jan Di-yah, look…," he began but stopped when he suddenly felt a weight against his shoulder. He turned back to see that Jan Di had fallen fast asleep against him.

Ji Hoo smiled down at Jan Di's sleeping form—with affection shining in his eyes. A few snowflakes had rested upon Jan Di's cheeks and eyelashes. Ji Hoo brushed the back of his hand along her soft cheek, wiping the tiny snowflakes away. Jan Di blinked a few times in her sleep, causing the remaining snowflakes to dance. Then, Ji Hoo leaned down slightly to place a gentle kiss upon her forehead. He tucked the covers tight around her and continued to look upon her.


Ga Eul glanced back over her shoulder at the carriage behind them. "Well, would you look at that?" she smiled, and Yi Jeong followed her gaze.

They both observed Jan Di sleeping soundly against Ji Hoo's shoulder and him gazing down intently upon her face. Yi Jeong tightened his mouth in disapproval at how cozy the two were.

"It's kind of cute, huh?" she commented.

Yi Jeong softened ever so slightly and nodded his head. "I suppose so…," he replied. But, regardless, he was still rather concerned.

"Sometimes I wonder what's going to happen…," Ga Eul commented.

Yi Jeong pursed his lips and squeezed Ga Eul's hand beneath the blanket.

Changing the subject, Yi Jeong asked, "Are you warm enough?"

"Mm," she uttered.

After a moment, Yi Jeong and Ga Eul's eyes met again. With their friends finally preoccupied, they grew bolder. And Yi Jeong leaned in, and they shared a soft, yet passionate kiss under the falling snow. Then, Ga Eul rested her head against the love of her life's shoulder.


"Gomawo for today. It was perfect," Ga Eul said, as Yi Jeong dropped her off at her hotel room.

Yi Jeong barked out a sarcastic laugh. "Perfect? You're far too kind. How could you say that, Ga Eul-yang? With Ji Hoo and Jan Di stalking us all day and then tagging along at the end?"

Ga Eul smiled. "I know, but it really was perfect. I had so much fun today."

"Well, I'm relieved to hear that," and he ran a hand along her arm.

"In fact, every day with you is perfect…"

As soon as she heard herself say it, Ga Eul knew how sappy her statement must have sounded. But apparently, it hadn't bothered Yi Jeong. In fact, he was staring at her adoringly.

Then, he leaned in slowly and captured her lips. The kiss started out soft, but gradually began to deepen, and Yi Jeong tangled a hand within her hair. It was then that Ga Eul broke away. She stared hard at him, while still attempting to catch her breath…

"I'm sorry," he said, while gently holding her arms.

Ga Eul shook her head. "No, it's OK. Um…Yi Jeong-ah…would you like to…come in?"

To Be Continued…


A/N: This was a fun chapter for me to write, but whoa, it turned out super fluffy… But, I hope you all enjoyed it. I was hoping to capture a bit of the BoF wackiness, among other things. Yeah, so Jan Di is still doing the immature stalking thing and being a busybody… But, I couldn't resist. In the show, I really wanted Ji Hoo to be the one to go with Jan Di when she spied on Ga Eul and Yi Jeong on their second "fake date," even though the purpose was to get Jun Pyo and Jan Di back together. So anyway, I thought it would be fun and cute to write the scenes that I did with the spying and evading each other... Plus, even though I wanted SoEul to have time alone, I liked the idea of Ji Hoo and Jan Di going to Sweden and having fun there. And I always enjoy Jan Di's hijinks and her getting into crazy situations. I'm not sure why Ji Hoo came out so flirty in this chapter… He's a bit frustrated but hopefully still (mostly) in character.