Lovers in a Foreign City Part I

Good Girls and Bad Boys

Chapter Six: Lovers in a Foreign City Part I

A/N: I'm very sorry for the super long delay on this, but I hope you all enjoy—and remember what's happened so far! And I really hope this chapter does not come off as too sappy…haha! It's pretty fluffy...and next chapter is arguably even more so, lol!


After leaving Ga Eul at the security gate of Seoul Incheon Airport, Jan Di and Ji Hoo leaned against the mini cooper on the side of the road next to the runway, each with a cup of to-go coffee in their hand. Jan Di had wanted to watch Ga Eul's plane taking off, so she had asked Ji Hoo to stop. And he had stopped in the very spot from which she and Jun Pyo had watched his plane depart for Paris 2 years ago.

Jan Di thought back on that day…

That day had been a heartbreaking one for her, but it had also been a strangely happy one. No, she supposed it wasn't strange at all that part of her had been happy then. She had been happy for Ji Hoo—happy because she knew that he would be happy, with Seo Hyun. And that thought had brought her reassurance and joy.

A nostalgic smile crossed Jan Di's lips, as she took a sip of the strong yet sweet coffee that Ji Hoo bought for her—from the same little airport coffee shop she and Jun Pyo had gone to on the day Ji Hoo had departed from her life. She'd then thought for good.

Jun Pyo had been oddly decent to her that day, and he'd been somewhat of a distraction. She suddenly recalled him leaning in very close to tell her something that day—so close that she was pressed up against his tiny sports car—as they watched Ji Hoo's plane take off. But, just as he did so, the roar of the jet drowned him out, and she still, to this day, had no idea what he said…

As Jan Di and Ji Hoo watched Ga Eul's plane for Stockholm ascend with a rumble and a screech—climbing higher and higher into the clouds—she thought of the notion of lovers jetting off to meet one another in foreign cities…

It was an extremely romantic concept. Ji Hoo had done it; she had done it, when she visited Jun Pyo in Macau—though it hadn't exactly turned out as she'd planned—and now Ga Eul was doing it.

Jan Di wondered if things would go well for Ga Eul in Sweden. Would it be all that she dreamed of? Jan Di hoped so. Her own experience had not exactly been a magical one—unfortunately—but surely Ga Eul's would be…

And Jan Di thought again of Ji Hoo...

His romantic venture to Paris had not gone as planned either… And there were times when she wondered if she should not have pushed him to go. How would things have turned out if he had not done so? Would everything have been different?

But it was silly to think of what-ifs, wasn't it? She was happy with how her life had turned out so far. But she wondered if Ji Hoo was happy… He hadn't yet found someone, though he did appear to be content with his life.

The strange thing about Jan Di's life was how happy it was right now, despite the love of her life being thousands of kilometers away… And Jan Di thought of Ga Eul, of how much she was always missing Yi Jeong. It made Jan Di feel a bit guilty actually—guilty because she sometimes felt like she didn't miss Jun Pyo as much as Ga Eul missed Yi Jeong… But that was silly, too. It wasn't a contest, and they were completely different people.

But Ga Eul would always talk about Yi Jeong, and she spoke constantly of thinking of him and missing him… Perhaps it was because Ga Eul and Yi Jeong's love was so new and only just developing, or perhaps it was because Jan Di was so focused upon medical school. At least, that's how she was justifying it to herself…

And life just seemed so comfortable and natural at Ji Hoo's side, so it was easy to get caught up in her daily routine. Sometimes she even felt a bit sad when she imagined no longer living with him one day… But that would only mean that Jun Pyo had returned and that she would be settling down with him…

Jan Di had thought about it a great deal, and she could picture herself married to Jun Pyo and living with him. It wouldn't be easy, she acknowledged… She could foresee the fights, the disagreements that they so seemed to thrive upon—that practically defined them as a couple… And not to mention her anxiety over becoming the heiress of Shinwha. There would surely be a lot of responsibilities—she hoped she'd be able to rise to the challenge—and she didn't look forward to dealing with Madam Kang. Those family dinners would surely be hell…

Oh, how different it would be from living with Ji Hoo...

Still, the thought of Jun Pyo returning thrilled Jan Di, and the notion of marrying him made her feel good inside. She could imagine the love they would share, and those powerful feelings between them—that still sometimes made her head spin—could surely overcome any obstacle in married life, couldn't they…? The two of them had already conquered so much as it was…

And Jan Di thought of Jun Pyo…

He was passionate, exciting, unpredictable—albeit frustrating sometimes—and being with him was a rush… Jan Di recalled how Ha Jae Kyung had once described Jun Pyo as being like wine… And perhaps she had been right about that. Even the smallest dose of Jun Pyo was enough to make Jan Di's head fuzzy and give her a tingling sensation all over—well, at least it had been that way in the beginning...

But one thing Jan Di knew for certain was that life would never be dull with Gu Jun Pyo…

Then, there was Ji Hoo. If Jun Pyo was wine, then Ji Hoo was a cup of hot chocolate on a cold day—sweet, warm, and soothing to her soul. He made her feel toasty on the inside; he was safe, dependable—even predictably so—and comforting…

Yes, Jan Di supposed that was the reason she disliked the idea of leaving Ji Hoo's home so much—because it was comforting and comfortable…he was comfortable… And it would surely be difficult to give up her security blanket… After all, she couldn't very well go running to Ji Hoo with each little problem once she was married. But then she would have a husband to confide in. She wondered if Jun Pyo would be as patient with how troublesome she was as Ji Hoo…

And Jan Di briefly wondered how Ga Eul would describe Yi Jeong and her feelings for him… She imagined it would be something very intense…


Ji Hoo had been casually observing Jan Di, glancing at her here and there out of the corner of his eye. She appeared deep in thought. And her expressions had varied greatly within the last few minutes as they watched the plane take off. Ji Hoo felt as though he was watching some old, silent movie—one he'd seen a hundred times but still somehow managed to pick up new details on.

Ji Hoo continued to watch Jan Di until his curiosity got the better of him. "What are you thinking about, Otter?" he finally asked.

"Hmm?" she murmured, nearly dropping her coffee at his sudden words.

Ji Hoo smiled tenderly at Jan Di's endearing klutziness and how frazzled she got sometimes.

Jan Di laughed at herself and then returned his smile. "Well, I was thinking of Ga Eul and hoping things go well for her there..." That, among other things… "Do you think she will be well and have a good time, Sunbae?"

Ji Hoo nodded in assurance. "Yes, I think she is going to have a wonderful time. Yi Jeong will ensure that," he replied. "After all, she is going to be spending time with the one she loves…and what could better than that?" he asked rhetorically with a smile.

Jan Di smiled affectionately at his sweet comment. "You're right, Sunbae."

Jan Di hoped that Yi Jeong would have plenty of time to devote to Ga Eul while she was there…

And she was once again reminded of Ji Hoo's endeavor to Paris, which had inevitably signed the death warrant on his relationship with Seo Hyun.

Upon return, Ji Hoo had told her in New Caledonia that being in Paris made him realize how pathetic he was and that all he could do while there was to wait around in an empty apartment for Seo Hyun. She had asked him if it wasn't enough to simply be together… And he'd told her how he felt like a burden to the woman he loved and that all he knew how to do was to love one woman out of habit…

Why was it that Ga Eul's journey had Jan Di so nostalgic all of a sudden?


Ji Hoo studied Jan Di's face—she wore a wistful expression. He gave her a moment to remain in the distant land of her own that she seemed to be in right now, but when she failed to return, he asked, "Was there something else on your mind, Jan Di-yah?"

"Hm? Oh, well, not really," she said with a vibrant shake of her head. But his gaze remained fixed upon her; she was definitely thinking about something...

Jan Di glimpsed him out of the corner of her eye. When he wouldn't stop staring at her, she tightened and poked out her cheeks slightly.

"Well, I guess I was just thinking about…when you went to Paris, Sunbae…"

Ji Hoo's brow furrowed. He certainly had not expected her to say that. And he wasn't sure how to respond. Did she even wish for a response? "Oh?" he finally replied.

"Mm. This is where Jun Pyo and I watched your take-off…"

He nodded and shoved his hands into his pockets.

She appeared to be contemplating her words carefully, as if holding back from saying something. She opened a few times and shut it.

He waited until she finally made the decision to speak. "Do you…," she cautiously began, "…regret it, Sunbae? Going to Paris?" she finally muttered. Then, she immediately lowered her head and took a slurp of her coffee.

Ji Hoo took a deep breath and slowly released it. He knew she didn't intend it to be, but it was such a loaded question.

"Yes and no," he finally answered.

Jan Di nodded, though his response did nothing to satiate her curiosity. In fact, she had no idea what he actually meant by that, and she was now even more confused than before. But she decided not to press further. "Oh, I see," she simply said, as she took another warm gulp of coffee.


Ji Hoo acknowledged that following Seo Hyun to Paris was something that he'd needed to do back then. He'd needed to attempt a real relationship with her. And though he'd only discovered that they weren't meant to be, it was something that he'd needed to find out for himself. If nothing else, he'd needed closure.

And if it hadn't been for his decision and Jan Di's little push, perhaps he would have remained infatuated with Seo Hyun forever, tied to some unrealistic notion of love for this one woman, when in reality it had been something else entirely. That was not to say his feelings for Seo Hyun weren't strong and true, but it hadn't been love exactly—more like appreciation or admiration, obsession even—well, perhaps a kind of love, but not the forever kind…

So, no, in that regard, he did not regret going…

But then again, he knew that he would always wonder about something—it would always reside there in the deep, dark recesses of his mind… He would wonder if he had not gone to Paris, would he and Jan Di have maybe, possibly ended up together?

Ji Hoo knew that Jan Di liked him back then—she had even later told him that he was her first love—and he had felt a spark of something for her, too. So, he was fairly certain that he would have asked her out eventually.

Would they have dated, fallen in love—the true kind—and lived happily ever after? Cliché or not, he wondered about that sometimes…

But Ji Hoo's heart ached to consider such a scenario… Thinking of what could have been with them-and he could picture it all clearly in his head, exactly what it would be like and how amazing all aspects of their relationship could have been—was all too much for him to bear. So, he rarely allowed such thoughts to cross his mind.

It was useless to think about that, after all—about regrets and what-ifs. It could only bring pain and sorrow. Ji Hoo had long since accepted the cards Fate had dealt him. Instead, he decided to focus upon what was before him in the present. And he got some consolation from the fact that his two best friends were blissfully happy and in love with one another. That was what eased the pain of losing her. And for now, that was enough to comfort him…


While Ji Hoo reeled within his own mind for a moment, Jan Di suddenly changed the subject. "Sunbae, I am a bit worried about Ga Eul."

"Why, Jan Di-yah?"

"Well, because…well…," Jan Di pursed her lips. "You…don't think Yi Jeong Sunbae will…try to take advantage of Ga Eul while she's there, do you?"

Ji Hoo gave Jan Di a warm smile. "No, I don't think so, Otter. Don't worry."

Jan Di released a burst of air. "OK, good. He better not!" she clenched her fists.

Ji Hoo chuckled. "Yi Jeong truly cares for Ga Eul, and he really is a good guy deep down. Besides, he knows that Geum Jan Di-ssi, the Wonder Girl, will hunt him down to the ends of the earth if he hurts Chu Ga Eul."

Jan Di nodded with certainty.

But she knew that Yi Jeong wasn't such a bad guy. For a long time, she had suspected that there was more to the Casanova than she first thought, and she'd seen his compassion and his loyalty to his friends firsthand. And Ga Eul had also told Jan Di a little bit about Yi Jeong's past—about his family troubles and the loss of his childhood sweetheart, Eun Jae.

"So, Jan Di-yah, are you accepting of this relationship now, or do you still want to kill Yi Jeong?" Ji Hoo spoke, stirring her from her reverie.

"Hmm," she put a finger to her chin. "Maybe… We'll see…"

Depends on what happens in Sweden…

"I am happy for Ga Eul because she is so happy, but…I do still worry sometimes. She is my best friend, after all."

"I'm sure everything will be fine, Jan Di-yah," he replied.

He seemed confident, and she believed him. Jan Di smiled as she cast her eyes to the sky and watched Ga Eul's plane disappear behind a cloud.


Ga Eul's stomach was all tangled up in knots the entire flight—in a bird's nest of nervousness and excitement—making the 11-hour voyage seem at least triple its length. She attempted to watch a movie, listen to music, read a book that she'd brought, and sleep, but she was far too distracted to do any of those things. She just kept counting down the minutes and imagining what it would be like when they first saw each other…

And she remembered one of their last conversations—the things he'd said he would do… Would he follow through on his bold romantic promises…? The thing that frightened her a bit was that she hoped he would… But she quickly shook such indecent thoughts away.

When the pilot announced that they were making their descent, Ga Eul's stomach did a flip-flop. She wore a goofy smile; the person seated next to her must have thought that something was wrong with her… And their face indicated so. She gave the passenger an awkward smile and turned back to look out the window. She smoothed out her hair and pulled out a compact—hoping she looked much more put together than she felt on the inside. And she began to apply some facial powder to her nose and cheeks, wanting to look her absolute best for him.

Then, she tucked away her purse under her seat and turned back to the window to look out. As Stockholm Arlanda Airport came into sight, she took in the view of buildings, planes, and the control tower, amidst a backdrop of scattered trees—which were lightly dusted with snow—and blue water.


After finally deplaning, Ga Eul made her way toward the baggage claim, where they had discussed meeting. She passed by several restaurant facilities and shops, and she paused to gaze upon a necklace made with Swarovski crystals in a shop window.

Ga Eul's eyes were wandering everywhere as she took in the airport. She made her way through the crowds steadily, pulling her carry-on bag up higher on her shoulder. But she came to a sudden stop—as did her heart—when she heard her name being spoken in a honeyed voice, "Ga Eul-yang…"

She spun around toward the sound of the silky voice, but she didn't see him. Was she so excited that she was prematurely imagining him calling out to her? She turned again slowly, glancing all around. And then she turned back the other direction, only to bump into the chest of a man.

Ga Eul gasped and lowered her head, apologizing profusely in English. But when she looked up, a cool grin was smiling down upon her. It was none other than So Yi Jeong who now had her by the arms.

And there he was—the unexpected man of her dreams—looking completely and utterly perfect in a dark navy suit and holding a red rose. How was it that so many gifts had been bestowed upon one man? And their reunion was everything she dreamed it would be…

"Yi…Yi Jeong Sunbae…," she uttered, as she stared up at him. She still often reverted to the sunbae title, particularly when surprised or nervous.

"Annyeong…," his voice was as soft and gentle as the coo of a dove.

She was stunned and her heart leaped like a lamb in spring. Without further hesitation, she dropped her bag and threw her arms around his neck with a little squeal of delight. He embraced her tightly, taking in the scent of her hair—that of the most wonderfully fragrant lilies. She could not describe her happiness at being in his arms again.

After pulling back, they stared at one another—nearly forgetting they were in public—and it was clear that Yi Jeong wanted to kiss her… And she so desperately wanted to kiss him, too. But not here.

She decided that it would be much better to hold out until later...

Ga Eul was curious about one thing, so, she spoke instead. "How did you get through here? I thought we were going to meet at baggage claim."

Yi Jeong chuckled. "I have my ways. I thought this would be better." And he silently presented the rose to her.

Ga Eul smiled broadly and took it. "Gomawo," she said, glancing down shyly and pressing her nose to the flower.

She assumed that Yi Jeong wanted to retain some of that F4 mystique. And she had to admit that this was better—much better.


Yi Jeong had truly wanted to kiss Ga Eul right then and there, but he sensed that she would prefer he do so when they weren't in the presence of thousands of people. He could wait, he supposed, though it would not be easy…

Just a bit longer, he told himself.

But then, was that really such a good idea? If he waited too long, he feared that his desire would grow too much, and it could be overwhelming for her… That was the thing about long-distance relationships—not that he'd really been in what could be called one before—upon finally seeing the other person you feel at a complete loss of control, as if having had one too many drinks. And you just feel like ravishing the other person. But then, it was very exciting, too…

Yi Jeong smiled brilliantly at Ga Eul; he took her bag and slung it over his shoulder and then put his arm around her. And a wide grin broke out upon her face, as they walked together.

After picking up the rest of Ga Eul's luggage, Yi Jeong led her to his private car. It was fancy, but then she wasn't surprised by that—F4's cars were always overly fancy. Yi Jeong helped her in and slid in beside her.

"You must be hungry, Ga Eul-yang," he said before bidding the driver to go. "Would you like to go out to dinner?"

"Yes, a bit. But would it be too much trouble to freshen up a bit first?" Despite her attempts at looking good for him, she still felt like a complete mess—disheveled inside and out.

Yi Jeong nodded. "Of course. How stupid of me. You must be exhausted. I'll have you taken to your hotel first." And Yi Jeong bid the driver to take them to the Grand Hotel.

While they drove, Ga Eul gazed out the window in awe, snapping off pictures here and there on her camera phone. Stockholm was absolutely breathtaking—a colorful, vibrant city, full of old world charm and gorgeous waters.


Yi Jeong took Ga Eul up to her hotel room. And she invited him in. It was only polite to do so, though she feared the implications of that. Not that she feared him; she was more concerned with what she might do…

Yi Jeong glanced around the room, as she laid her suitcase upon the bed. "It seems satisfactory," he said. "Is it acceptable to you, Ga Eul-yang?"

Ga Eul took in the elegant room. It was luxurious and spacious—much larger than she needed. There was a large bed with a lovely floral arrangement upon the bedside table, as well as a small plush sofa in the room.

Ga Eul nodded. "It's beautiful. It's really far too much. You didn't have to…"

"Nonsense," he said, and then he drew back the curtains for her. Ga Eul stood beside him, taking in the magnificent view of the sun setting upon the city. Then, Yi Jeong's brow furrowed. He explained that it wasn't the view he'd requested—of the Royal Palace and the sea—and he prepared to call and speak with the manager. But she stopped him by going to him and placing two fingers upon his full, soft lips.

Shyly, she allowed her fingers to remain there.

"It's perfect," she breathed. But she didn't remove her fingers right away and instead allowed them to linger, caressing his lips and tracing them like a fresh new canvas.

Yi Jeong's eyes went slightly wide—he wasn't used to Chu Ga Eul being so forward—but then they crinkled up and he gazed upon her affectionately. And he pressed his lips lightly into her fingertips. Then, he took hold of her hand and placed a kiss upon her knuckle. And then another…and another… Her breath hitched as his little kisses singed her.

"Yi Jeong-ah…," she uttered. And he stopped to gaze down into her eyes. As his eyes held her captive, he began to slowly lean in, but she pulled back, stopping him. "I should…probably get ready for dinner," she said.

He looked disappointed—hurt even—for a split second, but he quickly recovered. "Of course. I'll pick you up in an hour," he said, with a cool smile and a nod.

She swallowed her own disappointment and smiled sweetly. "I can't wait."

"Neither can I," he replied, placing a hand over his heart.

And the gesture practically melted her. She bit down on her lip to keep from screaming out in simultaneous happiness and frustration.


After Ga Eul showed him out, she collapsed onto the bed. She took a deep breath and shut her eyes, slowly letting it out. Her body was trembling—actually physically shaking—from the effect he had upon her.

She wasn't sure why she hadn't allowed him to kiss her. What was she waiting for? She supposed she was just afraid. She felt so little control around him, and if she kissed him here, she didn't know what might happen…

Ga Eul took another deep breath and exhaled before sitting up. She went to the window and looked out. Yi Jeong had not been satisfied with the view, but she thought it was amazing. And her eyes sparkled as she took it all in.

Ga Eul proceeded to unpack her things. She went through her makeup and toiletries, placing them upon the bathroom sink. And then she took out several outfits from her suitcase and laid them out on the bed. Her eyes shot back and forth between three different choices to wear to dinner; she stared at one particular dress—a rose-colored mini dress—for a good five minutes. She could wear it, but was it too much? And it was very cold outside, so she looked through her bag for a thick pair of tights to go underneath.

All-of-a-sudden Ga Eul was freaking out that she had nothing suitable to wear and had brought all the wrong things. She took a deep breath and worked to get a grip. Then, she noticed her phone lying on the bed, and she picked it up.

Ga Eul decided to take advantage of the long-distance plan she'd purchased to call her parents to let them know she'd arrived. Her eomma and appa were relieved to hear from her and wished her a wonderful trip.

And then she called Jan Di.

From the sound of Jan Di's voice, her best friend had been expectantly awaiting a call. And Ga Eul had the feeling that Jan Di was more worried about her than her parents.

After a brief talk with Jan Di, Ga Eul attempted to hang up. Jan Di tried to keep her on the phone longer, talking a mile a minute, but Ga Eul informed her that she needed to get ready for dinner.


Ga Eul finally managed to decide upon her attire, and she fixed her hair and makeup. Yi Jeong arrived and complimented her before leading her out, unable to take his eyes off of her. And he took her to a restaurant called Lilla Ego where he'd made advance reservations. It was a lovely, intimate place that was highly rated in Sweden with a variety of Scandinavian and various other cuisines.

After a traditional Swedish dinner, Yi Jeong and Ga Eul took a stroll hand-in-hand along the harbor and back to Ga Eul's hotel. He led her to her room and prepared to bid her goodnight.

"I had a lovely evening, Yi Jeong Sunbae, gomawo," Ga Eul said, as they stood holding hands outside of her door.

He nodded. "It was my pleasure." He hoped she would invite him in.

She swayed from side-to-side, killing time and wrestling with her thoughts, before saying, "Goodnight, Yi Jeong Sunbae."

And she looked up at him, hoping he would kiss her. The look she gave him was invitation enough for him, and he didn't hesitate further. He leaned down to press his warm lips against hers.

Ga Eul had been building up their reunion kiss so much in her head, and she really didn't understand why she had been holding back. It wasn't like it was their first kiss... Amazingly, it was everything she'd been dreaming of and more…

Yi Jeong pressed her slightly into the door with his body, as he cupped her face in his hands. Their kiss intensified, as he moved his hands down, running them all along her arms. And she wrapped her hands around his neck. As their kiss persisted she felt herself reaching for the doorknob. She wanted nothing more than to lead him inside and continue… But she managed to summon her powers of restraint.

They broke off the kiss and stared at one another, faintly catching their breath. Ga Eul took hold of the doorknob again, hesitating.

She had almost convinced herself to invite him in when Yi Jeong spoke. "Well, you should get some sleep, Ga Eul-yang. I plan to show you around the city tomorrow. I'll pick you up at 8 AM. Is that alright?"

Ga Eul was taken aback. Didn't he want to come in? But perhaps it was for the best…

He offered her his flawless smile, and she slowly nodded, still slightly dumbfounded. And he gave her arm a light squeeze before turning to leave.

Ga Eul stood rooted to the spot for a moment before turning to go inside her hotel room.


The next morning, Yi Jeong picked up Ga Eul right on time and offered to take her to breakfast and after asked what she would like to do that day. He told her that he had some thoughts but would like to know what she wanted to do.

"Where would you like to go, Ga Eul-yang?"

"You really have time, Yi Jeong Sunbae? Don't you have meetings or school?" she asked, knowing all too well how exceedingly busy Yi Jeong was.

"Well, I'm on break from school, and I cleared my schedule for the day for you."

Ga Eul smiled.

"So, Ga Eul-yang? Where does your heart desire to go?"

She thought about his question. It would be entirely too cheesy for her to state what had immediately jumped into her head—that she didn't care where they went, so long as she was with him.

"Well, I'd really like to see your school and the museum, if that's possible. I'd like to see what your day is like."

"My university and the museum, really?"

"Yes," Ga Eul smiled brightly.

Yi Jeong paused for only a few seconds before saying, "Alright, let's go."

Yi Jeong took Ga Eul on a tour of his university, and she greatly enjoyed the serenity of walking through the empty campus with him. Afterward, he informed her that there was something else he wanted to show her on the way to the museum. So, they walked through the cobblestone streets of the charming old town of Gamla Stan.

And Yi Jeong stopped before a large medieval cathedral, allowing Ga Eul to take in the sight.

"Stockholm Cathedral," he informed her. "Built in 1279 and housing St. George and the Dragon sculpture, as well as the Vadersoltavlan and the sculpture Joseph and Mary.

And they stood side-by-side admiring the majestic structure.

"Wow, it's so beautiful…," Ga Eul uttered, as she stared up in awe. She snapped off a few photos.

"It is. But next to you, its beauty does not even compare…"

"Ohh!" Ga Eul gave Yi Jeong a light shove, but regardless she was grinning like mad. "You did not just say that did you, So Yi Jeong?! Do girls really fall for that?"

Oh, but who was she kidding? Despite the cheesiness of the line, Ga Eul's own resolve hung in a delicate balance because it was him saying this to her—it was her So Yi Jeong…

Yi Jeong gave a hearty chuckle. "Well, until now…," and he tenderly d her cheek with the back of his hand.

Ga Eul paused and grew somber for a moment, wondering how many girls he had said the same things to as her—surely there were many…

He noticed the solemn expression upon her face. "Ga Eul-yang…," he began when she did not speak.

"I suppose you're going to say something like…you've said those things before, but you never really meant them…," she glanced down at her shoes.

"Well, when you put it that way, it does sound really bad…," he laughed a little, attempting to lighten the mood. But she remained melancholy.

"Ga Eul-yang…," he reached out to touch her arm, stirring her from her torturous inner monologue.

Ga Eul scoffed at herself and turned from him. Wasn't it good enough that she was here with him? Why did she have to go and stir up trouble?

She turned back. "I'm so sorry, Yi Jeong Sunbae. That was very rude of me. Please forgive me!" and she bowed deeply before him.

He captured her chin between his thumb and forefinger, raising it until he could look into the depths of her darkened eyes. "Ga Eul-yang… I'm not going to lie to you. It's true that I have said such words to many different women. And most of the time I wasn't being sincere. I was only trying to seduce them."

Ga Eul looked away.

"But I want you to know that I will never do that to you. I want you to know that it is different this time, I'm different. I'm not simply trying to conquer you. I care for you deeply. And I will always be completely sincere with you, Ga Eul-yang."

"Yi Jeong-ah…"

"That's the reason I didn't attempt to come in last night. I didn't want you to think I was expecting anything or trying to rush you. And I'm not. I'm not expecting anything of you during this trip but just to be with you."

She looked into his eyes.

"Do you believe me?" he brushed her soft cheek with the back of his hand, searing it and branding it as his own.

She continued to stare into his chocolate orbs, finding herself getting lost in them yet again. She nodded. "Yes, Yi Jeong-ah. I believe you."

"Good." He took her hand and brought it to his lips, placing a gentle kiss upon it. And then he led her inside.

The cathedral had gorgeous stained glass windows, brick pillars, and domed ceilings. They stood in there, alone.

"Many religious services are held here and concerts, and it was the site of the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel in 2010," Yi Jeong informed her, going back into tour guide mode.

Ga Eul nodded. "It is incredible. Wow, what a beautiful place to be married in…," she muttered wistfully.

And Ga Eul immediately realized her blunder. Such a statement would freak out any new boyfriend—thinking she was getting ideas in her head—and this was So Yi Jeong, the famous Casanova! "Oh, Yi Jeong Sunbae! I didn't mean anything by that…I…"

"It's alright, Ga Eul-yang. And what did you say that was so terrible anyway?"

"Well…," she stammered, her cheeks growing redder than an apple. "The subject of marriage…I didn't mean to bring that up…and I don't want you to think I was…dropping hints or anything… We only started going out and…and…I…mianhae!"

She looked practically panicked. And Yi Jeong could not help but chuckle. "I didn't think anything of the sort," he replied.

Ga Eul was relieved that he hadn't taken it the wrong way but even more embarrassed by her own overreaction. She struggled to look at him.

Yi Jeong studied her for a moment before saying, "And besides, do you honestly think the idea of marrying you one day scares me, Ga Eul-yang?"

Ga Eul turned back and her eyes went wide. "Well, I…didn't mean us getting married…I just meant…people…in general…getting married…," she stammered.

An incandescent smile graced Yi Jeong's lips. "People in general, huh?"

She nodded, once again unable to look at him.

He took her hands in his. "That doesn't scare me, Ga Eul-yang. It would simply mean that I would get to see you every day, wake up with you in my arms each morning, lay down with you each night… How could that possibly be frightening? It rather sounds like an amazing dream…"

She met his eyes again and bit down on her lip. "Yi Jeong-ah…," she breathed, as he gave her hands a light squeeze.

And suddenly, images flashed before Ga Eul's eyes—images of what their wedding might be like. It nearly took her breath away. How was it that she could so clearly see it all?

...


After visiting the cathedral, the two lovers made their way to the Stockholm National Museum. As they walked into the massive building, Ga Eul looked all around, taking in the main foyer—with its polished floors, giant archways, and massive marble pillars. It was immaculate and overwhelming in size.

Yi Jeong ushered Ga Eul through the main entryway, and she noticed scattered patrons and staff. She could feel their eyes on her, even when it wasn't obvious that they were looking. And Ga Eul stopped for a moment, captivated by one particular sculpture—a heart made from random materials.

Ga Eul heard the sound of her voice before seeing her…

"Yi Jeong!" the female voice called out, breaking the reverent silence of the place.

Ga Eul recognized the blonde vision heading toward them immediately, from the magazine article—the image had been burned into her brain from when she briefly thought that she and Yi Jeong were an item.

And photography did not do her justice…

Ga Eul had never really considered herself to be an envious person. Though she knew that she was just an average-looking girl, Ga Eul had always tried to be happy with her looks and what she'd been given. But now, she felt it—envy. And Ga Eul was quite certain this was the most beautiful woman she'd ever seen…

"Yi Jeong!" she called out again as she approached them. "I didn't think you were coming in today! I'm so glad you're here!" The beautiful woman reached out for Yi Jeong and planted a kiss upon his cheek. Ga Eul felt a twinge in her stomach.

Yi Jeong glanced to Ga Eul and then turned back the beauty, clearing his throat. "Elise, good morning. It wasn't planned, but my girlfriend wanted to see the museum. So, I'm showing her around."

"Ah, your girlfriend," an inkling of a smile crossed Elise's lips. She turned to Ga Eul and looked her up and down, as if passing her judgment in an instant.

"Elise Andersson, this is Chu Ga Eul. Ga Eul, this is Elise Andersson," Yi Jeong presented the two to each other. Ga Eul bowed before Elise.

"Charmed," Elise spoke simply in English, and she stuck out her hand to Ga Eul. Ga Eul hesitantly took it, and Elise gave her a firm shake.

"I'm—" Ga Eul began, but before she could say anything further, Elise had grabbed Yi Jeong by the arm and dragged him aside. Ga Eul watched as Elise said something to Yi Jeong that she couldn't quite make out.

Elise and Yi Jeong exchanged a few words, and he was gesturing as if he was unhappy about something. And then Yi Jeong sighed and returned to Ga Eul.

"Ga Eul-yang, I'm so sorry, but I'm being dragged," he shot a look to Elise, "into a very important meeting that suddenly came up."

"Oh," Ga Eul hung her head slightly and nodded. Putting on a smile, she said, "That's OK. I understand."

Yi Jeong sighed again and gave her arm a . "But…if you don't mind waiting, Elise has offered to give you a tour of the museum while I meet with her father and a new investor."

Ga Eul noticed Elise making her way toward them again.

"Well, I don't want to take up her time. She must be very busy, too. I could just look around on my own."

"Nonsense," Elise stepped forward. "It's no trouble. I don't need to be in the meeting. It's more important that Yi Jeong is present."

Ga Eul looked to Yi Jeong, and he translated.

"Well, I…," Ga Eul began.

"I insist," Elise interjected, nodding and urging with her eyes.

"Well, alright..." She gave Elise a short bow and thanked her in English.

Elise suddenly linked arms with Ga Eul, as if they were now best friends, and pulled her away from Yi Jeong. And Elise waved Yi Jeong off, urging him to go quickly. Ga Eul shot a look back to Yi Jeong before turning her eyes forward, as Elise led her off.


As Elise and Ga Eul walked side by side throughout the museum, Elise spouted off information about everything they saw—names, dates, and other facts about paintings, artists and their intentions—and their tragedies—as well as the architecture of the building.

"Wow, you certainly know a lot," Ga Eul attempted to say in her best English, hoping it didn't come across as rude or inappropriate in any way. After all, she didn't know much about the Swedish or their customs.

"Well, I should," Elise said matter-of-factly. "I practically grew up in this place. Most small children went to the park or the zoo, but my playground was a museum. I even took my first boyfriend here for a date," she chuckled.

Ga Eul smiled politely when Elise appeared off in her head, wearing a nostalgic smile. They continued to walk along slowly, stopping at all the exhibits.

There was finally a brief silence when Elise had exhausted talking about everything in the area. There was still one more floor to go, however.

And the silence washed over the two women. Elise seemed fine with that, but Ga Eul felt as though she needed to fill the silence. Elise had been doing most of the talking, after all. But she didn't know what to say. She especially did not want to ask any personal questions or say anything inappropriate.

But then Elise did break the silence. And she began asking about Yi Jeong and their relationship.

So much for the not getting personal…, Ga Eul thought.

Ga Eul felt a bit uncomfortable, but she answered Elise's questions regardless. She supposed the Swedish beauty's questions were fairly straightforward ones, but she didn't quite like how interested Elise seemed to be in knowing so many details about Yi Jeong and her and Yi Jeong.

But what bothered Ga Eul the most was when Elise started telling her things about Yi Jeong, her Yi Jeong, things that Ga Eul didn't even know—things detailed and specific, things he'd never talked to her about… They weren't intimate details exactly, but more related to his work and his interests.

Why had Yi Jeong never told her all of this?

Oh, she knew it was probably just because he thought it would bore her or that she would have no interest in the intricacies of the pottery and art worlds, but she would! She was interested in pottery and art, too, perhaps not quite as much as him, but she would have an interest and give him her full attention if he was the one who was saying it to her.

So what if she had been a tiny bit bored while Elise prattled on with hundreds of facts about the museum for the last two hours? If it had been Yi Jeong telling her those things, she would have been captivated. She loved listening to his voice, and she wanted to hear everything he had to say. She had truly hoped he would be the one giving her the tour…

But it was no big deal, really. Why should it bother her so much, anyway?

Elise took Ga Eul to the top floor of the museum and continued her lecture series. But Ga Eul was barely listening now because her thoughts were running wild like grapevines. Ga Eul felt like a horrible person, but she had a bad feeling about this Elise Andersson. She didn't trust her one bit, or her motives. Perhaps there wasn't even a meeting but Elise had simply wanted to keep her away from Yi Jeong...

Was she simply being jealous and paranoid, or were her instincts trying to tell her something?

Chu Ga Eul, you babo! You are being completely ridiculous!

Ga Eul convinced herself that she was just letting her petty jealousy get to her. And she made a vow to never let it get the better of her again.


The two women returned to the main floor, and Elise took Ga Eul to her father's office, just as Yi Jeong and Mr. Andersson were stepping out. The two of them bid good day to another Swedish man, who only glanced at Elise and Ga Eul before leaving.

"How did it go, Father?" Elise asked.

"Fine," Mr. Andersson said, and then he turned to Ga Eul. He cocked his head slightly and looked expectantly upon her but said nothing. Then, Yi Jeong stepped in to introduce them. And he introduced Ga Eul simply by her name, without the girlfriend title.

Mr. Andersson took Ga Eul's much smaller hand within his, and he shook it. "I'm pleased to meet you," he said, in a formal tone of voice. It seemed to Ga Eul as though he didn't mean the words at all, but then again, perhaps he was merely being proper.

Mr. Andersson's handshake was firm and icy cold, and he towered over Ga Eul. His eyes too were cold and calculating—she had never looked into such eyes. And as the Swedish billionaire stared down at her, she suddenly got the feeling that he was plotting something sinister…

But she was being ridiculous again, wasn't she?! Perhaps she had been watching too many dramas on TV… Or, perhaps she simply had an unfair bias against him because of her jealousy of Elise… She would need to work on this in herself…

Mr. Andersson turned back to Yi Jeong and spoke. "Yi Jeong, you should bring your lady friend along to the benefit Saturday. We could always use more guests."

Yi Jeong nodded politely to Mr. Andersson and then looked to Ga Eul. She bowed her head slightly when Mr. Andersson sicced his eyes upon her again. "You should come, young lady. It's shaping up to be quite the event and an important friend of our So Yi Jeong here, such as yourself, should certainly be there."

Ga Eul lowered her eyes and nodded. And without another word, Mr. Andersson his heel and returned to his office.


After leaving the museum, Yi Jeong turned to Ga Eul. "I'm so sorry about that, Ga Eul-yang."

"It's fine, Yi Jeong Sunbae. Don't worry," and she gave him a reassuring smile.

He smiled down at her. "You're very kind, Ga Eul-yang." Yi Jeong offered to take Ga Eul out for a fancy dinner, but she preferred to go someplace simple. Yi Jeong agreed and thought on where he could take her. And a small pizza place came to mind. He'd never even considered stepping foot in the place, but it was known to have the best pizza in town.

"Do you like pizza, Ga Eul-yang?" he asked.

"Yes, I love it."

So, they went to a small neighborhood pizza joint. They ate and talked in a casual, intimate atmosphere with romantic low-lighting. Yi Jeong explained that the Swedish people were very reserved about showing affection in public, but Ga Eul could tell that it was mostly couples there.

Afterward, feeling quite full, they decided to walk for a little while, and they walked along the glistening night waters of the harbor.

"Gomawo for today," she said, as they walked along together.

"Mm. Is there anything else you would like to do tonight?" he asked.

She thought for a moment. She did have something in mind but was afraid to ask, for fear of seeming too forward.

But he could tell and asked, "Is something on your mind, Ga Eul-yang?" when she didn't respond.

"Well, I…No, never mind!" she shook her head.

"No, please tell me," he insisted.

"Well, I'm…sort of curious…to see…where you live, Yi Jeong Sunbae… But we don't have to!" she flushed and looked away. She meant it in an innocent way, but it could have come across all wrong, or at the very least rude.

"Of course you can see where I live," he said, ushering her to the car.

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely."


He took her to his luxurious apartment and bid her to come in. Ga Eul shyly entered and looked around. The place was incredible. She'd been to his mansion once in South Korea, and this place was far smaller, but still gorgeous.

Yi Jeong gave her the tour. She grew particularly shy when he showed her his bedroom… And she remembered all those nights of talking to each other in their own beds from across the ocean.

Then, he led her back to the living room. "Please sit down and make yourself comfortable."

She nodded and took a seat on his ultra-soft couch. But she was far from comfortable—she was jumping out of her skin in fact.

"Would you like something to drink?" he offered casually, going to his bar.

She hesitated.

He grinned to himself upon noticing her timidness. "Non-alcoholic is certainly an option," he called to her.

"Just water, thank you," she replied.

While he prepared a glass of ice water for her, Ga Eul decided to broach the subject that had been on her mind. "Did it go well today, in the meeting?" she asked.

Yi Jeong didn't respond right away, and she glanced over. He seemed weary for some reason. But he bounced back and answered, "Yes, it went well."

"Is…everything alright, Yi Jeong Sunbae?" she asked, worriedly.

He gave her a wide smile as he carried her glass to her and sat down beside her. "Of course, Ga Eul-yang. Everything is perfect."

He had a good poker face but, somehow, she didn't quite believe that. And she knew that it would be eroding her insides later, but she let it go. It was really not her place to be so nosy anyway.

Still, she had one more annoying thing on her mind that she was trying to work up the courage to bring up. She took a sip of her water and he a sip of his wine.

"Oh, and you don't need to feel any obligation to attend the benefit. I'm sorry you were put on the spot like that," he said out of the blue.

Did he not want her to go?

"But you need to attend, right, Sunbae?"

Yi Jeong nodded and stared down into his glass. "Yes," and he took a larger drink of it.

"I'll go if you…want me there," she said, and she turned away, squeezing her eyes shut and mentally berating herself. The comment must have seemed rather biting.

He took another drink. "I do want you there."

Ga Eul nodded and smoothed out her skirt. "Then, I'll be glad to attend."

Just then, Ga Eul heard her phone buzz from inside her purse on the coffee table. She ignored it. It was probably Jan Di again. Jan Di had texted and called several other times that day, too, but Ga Eul had turned off her phone in the museum, and she hadn't wanted to answer while with Yi Jeong.

...

Yi Jeong and Ga Eul talked for a while longer while finishing a second round of drinks—hers still water—and Ga Eul finally worked up the courage to bring up that thing on her mind…

"Yi Jeong Sunbae?"

"Sunbae again?" he chuckled. "Do I have to keep reminding you of that?"

She gave him a faint smile. "I'm sorry, Yi Jeong-ah…," she paused before going on. "…So, Ms. Andersson, she is very smart and beautiful… Don't you think so Sunbae?" she asked without looking at him.

It was a stupid question. She already knew the answer, and she felt like an idiot for bringing it up. She also wanted to ask more about Mr. Andersson, after the unsettling feeling he gave her, but she decided not to.

Rather than responding directly to her question, Yi Jeong brought out his brilliant smile. "Ga Eul-ah, you don't need to feel insecure about Ms. Andersson. We're only colleagues."

"I know," she put on a smile. "I'm very sorry to bring it up..." She felt rather ashamed.

But how could she not be a little insecure? It was quite clear that Ms. Andersson had an interest in him. And that notion would not allow Ga Eul's heart to be still. It was her So Yi Jeong, after all…

Ga Eul's eyes flitted back and forth. When her embarrassment grew to be too much, she suggested that she should probably get going. It was getting late. She shifted, and stood from the couch, but Yi Jeong caught her by the wrist.

"Wait, don't go yet…"

"Yi Jeong-ah…," she stared down at him with stunned eyes.

"I just hate having to say goodbye to you…"

"Yi Jeong-ah…"

Ga Eul swallowed hard and slowly sat back down. "I…suppose…a few more minutes wouldn't hurt…"

Yi Jeong smiled, and Ga Eul felt herself melting like warm butter. They stared at each other for a brief few seconds before Yi Jeong leaned in. "I've been wanting to do something all day…," he spoke in a sensual whisper, as he cupped her face with his hands. Ga Eul felt her heart beginning to flutter wildly.

Their lips met, and he slowly wrapped his arms around her, deepening the kiss.

...

After a moment, she pulled back breathless. And the other thing she'd been thinking about came shooting out of . "Yi Jeong-ah…those things you said on the phone before…did you mean them?" Ga Eul felt her whole face grow hot, but she continued to stare intensely into his eyes.

"Ah yes, those things I said…," and he smiled at her—that gorgeous smile that caused her to nearly lose her sanity. Then, he pulled her in closer and stared down at the line of her jaw for a moment, as he traced it lightly with a finger. After a moment, he stopped and looked into her eyes.

"Of course I did. I'd want nothing more than to deliver on every single word of that promise, but I don't want you to feel pressured. I would never force you into anything, or take anything from you until you are completely mine…"

Ga Eul stared at him. She had to admit that a part of her was disappointed to hear him say that. But she appreciated how much he cared for and respected her. It made her venture further, and she slowly wrapped her arms around his neck. Their lips met in the middle, and they continued kissing…

When Ga Eul's phone rang yet again mid-kiss, Yi Jeong growled in frustration—his patience was nearly at its summit. "Jan Di, I assume?"

Ga Eul nodded. "Probably."

"Well, she certainly knows how to kill a mood…and her timing is impeccable," he said with a sardonic smile.

Ga Eul gave him a sheepish look. "I love my best friend, but sometimes I wish she would worry a bit less about me…"

"Well, if she calls once more I'm tossing your phone out the window, Ga Eul-yang. Don't worry, I'll buy you another."

Ga Eul gave a nervous laugh. "I'm sorry. I'll just turn it off." She held in the power button and then tucked it back inside her purse.

"Now, where were we…?" he gave her a seductive little smile.

Yi Jeong leaned in and Ga Eul's eyelashes fluttered shut. Their lips met for an instant, and Yi Jeong began to roam his hands across her back. Ga Eul felt herself sinking into his touch, but suddenly she shrunk back.

"What is it, Ga Eul-yang?"

Ga Eul blinked a few times and stared down at her hands, wringing them lightly. "I'm sorry. It's nothing. It is…just getting kind of late, Sunbae…"

Yi Jeong nodded sullenly. He stood and offered a hand to her. "Well, again, I'm sorry about today, but I promise you that tomorrow it will be just us. I'll be all yours."

Ga Eul gazed into his eyes. "I like the sound of that…"


Meanwhile…

Jan Di stumbled into the kitchen, half asleep. It was 5 AM. She let out a yawn.

"What are you doing up so early, Otter?" Ji Hoo asked from his seat at the kitchen table. A cup of tea was there before him.

"Oh, Sunbae," she muttered, not having registered his presence right away. "I, uh, couldn't sleep… Why are you up?"

"Same," he said, and he took a sip of his tea.

"Oh, that's not like you, Sunbae. Are you sick?" She went to him and placed a hand on his forehead to check for a temperature. "You feel a little warm…"

Ji Hoo smiled. "I'm fine, Jan Di-yah. I just woke up and was thinking…"

She gave him a slightly troubled expression. "You should get more sleep. Those cat naps of yours aren't going to cut it anymore. You work too hard, too. And now you've gone and made yourself sick!" she chastised, placing her hands upon her hips.

Ji Hoo smiled again. "Really, Otter. I'm fine."

She nodded and slumped down in the chair next to him with a heavy sigh.

Ji Hoo glanced over at her. "But what about you? Is something troubling you?" he asked.

"Well, I haven't been able to reach Ga Eul all day. She's not answering my calls…and I'm kind of worried," she sighed. "I woke up and tried again, but now it seems that her phone is shut off…," and Jan Di tightened her lips.

"Maybe her phone died. Or…," Ji Hoo raised brow. "Perhaps she is just preoccupied with Yi Jeong."

Jan Di gaped, "Sunbae!" and she smacked Ji Hoo hard on the arm.

"Ow. I didn't mean it like that, Otter."

Jan Di apologized.

"I just meant they're probably…," he attempted to choose his words carefully. Jan Di eyed him suspiciously. "Busy. You know, perhaps touring the city or something…"

Jan Di's eyes flitted from side to side. "Yeah, maybe. Wait…isn't it getting kind of late there?"

"Yes, I'd say it's about 11 PM."

Jan Di frowned. "You don't think that they could be…," and a slight blush formed on her cheeks,"doing something…um, busy with that…do you?" she asked worriedly.

"I don't know, and I really prefer not to think about it," Ji Hoo replied, with a smirk.

Jan Di released a short burst of air. "Well, you're not very reassuring, Sunbae!"

Ji Hoo had to stifle a laugh and Jan Di gaped at him.

"I'm sure it's fine, Jan Di. Maybe she's just asleep."

"Yea, maybe…"

But Jan Di still seemed to be off somewhere dark in her head.

Ji Hoo grinned and watched Jan Di out of the corner of his eye. "Besides, even if they are doing…that there's nothing you can do about it…" He simply couldn't help teasing her sometimes. But of course, there was a ring of truth to it.

"Sunbae!" she shouted, completely mortified.

Ji Hoo looked at her seriously. "Well, I'm sorry, Jan Di-yah, but they are dating, and they are both adults."

She let out an exhale. "I know that…," she grumbled.

Ji Hoo sensed her distress and his heart went out to her. "But don't think that Yi Jeong has no self-control. He really cares for Ga Eul, so I'm sure he won't rush her into anything she's not ready for." And Ji Hoo reached out to ruffle Jan Di's hair.

Jan Di heaved a sigh. Then, she nodded and smiled faintly. "Yea, you're right… Gomawo, Sunbae..."

...

"Well, I think I'm going to go back to bed. And you should get some rest, too, Sunbae! You need to keep up your strength! You should be using the break to recover from the semester."

Ji Hoo smiled at her tenderly. "I will. Thank you for your concern, Jan Di-yah. Pleasant dreams."

"You too. Goodnight, Sunbae, or rather, good morning!" Jan Di smiled and turned to head back to bed.


After being dropped off at her hotel room by Yi Jeong, Ga Eul leaned against the door on the inside, clutching at her chest and doing her utmost to calm the whirlpool of swirling emotions and thoughts within her. Her heart was still beating rapidly from her encounter with him, and she was suddenly feeling ashamed at how little control she felt while she was with him.

Ga Eul shut her eyes tight, releasing a heavy sigh. And she went to the bed to lie down. After a moment, she pulled her phone out of her purse and resolutely dialed.

Jan Di mumbled drowsily, "Yoboseyo…"

"Oh, Jan Di-ah…I'm so sorry! I forgot about the time difference! I'm so stupid!"

"No, no it's OK, Ga Eul-ah... Is everything OK?" Jan Di asked, sitting straight up in her bed. Her half-closed eyelids shot open.

Ga Eul responded that everything was great and quickly ended the call, insisting that Jan Di go back to bed and saying they could talk more later. But Jan Di was worried. Somehow she did not believe Ga Eul that everything was great…

To Be Continued...


Teaser for Next Chapter: Lovers in a Foreign City Part II: Ji Hoo and Jan Di go to Sweden, and Yi Jeong and Ga Eul play a little game in attempt at avoiding them. Yi Jeong, Ga Eul, Jan Di, Ji Hoo, and Woo Bin attend the museum benefit.