8:41PM, 30F, snow

Foreign Body

   "You're left handed?" Jungkook is comfortably sunk into the couch at Namjoon's house, whose parents are gone for the weekend. It's the first time they've been able to hang out somewhere other than the park, meaning, it's the first time he's really been able to look at him in strong light. He notices things like his dimples, his posture, his clothes. His quirks.
Namjoon tucks his hand into a fist protectively and smiles with his eyes closed.
   "I have some scars on my right hand. Sometimes they still hurt, you know? So I avoid using it when I can."
   "Huh? Really? What're they from?" An uncomfortably hot flush overtakes him as anxiety erupts in his stomach, 0 to 60 much too quickly to let him think of something good to say. He hates thinking about it, and talking about it is even worse, but the way Jungkook treats him makes lying feel very wrong.
   "It's not a big deal. Something I used to do when I was stressed."
   "Really? Can I see?" Namjoon stills, clenches his hand even tighter.
   "Uhm. Do you really want to?" Jungkook just nods, turns completely toward Namjoon on the couch, one leg folded so that his foot is tucked under the other thigh. Namjoon studies his face, tries to relax and understand- human motives, emotions, consequences- as Jungkook takes his hand warmly, traces over the soft lines that occur naturally and searches for the ones that didn't.
   "It was dumb."
   "No." Jungkook answers right away, studying a network of scars on the pad of his thumb, "why?"
   "I didn't think it would be- so permanent. I'd sit at my desk and get all wound up about school and. I don't know. It was an accident at first."
   Jungkook nods, has nothing, really, to say, but blurts out, "It's okay," without quite knowing what it means. Namjoon smiles and laughs, feeling relieved, and doesn't say anything about Jungkook not letting go of his hand quite yet.