Eighteen

DIAMOND (CEO AU Baekhyun Series)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Saying that Soojin and Baekhyun went back to the way they were, in the beginning, was a euphemism. Oh no, it is much worse than that.

Before, they would pretend to be polite and affable when in front of the elders or other people and would fight like children when alone with each other or close friends.

Now…

Now is much, much worse than that.

When Soojin would try and discuss something with Baekhyun in private, he would just completely ignore her. Not even one word spoken to her, even if he needed to say something. Even if he was itching to tell her how much he loves her. Even if he was dying to feel her skin on his. Even if he’s desperate to kiss her lips again. Baekhyun would swat her away, albeit gently when she tries to make physical contact with him.

There are times when he would want to break his façade, to just drop his act and go straight into her arms again. But Baekhyun would tell himself to be strong, to help Soojin realize that he is not the enemy right now. He wasn’t the enemy, to begin with. No one is an enemy to her or to anyone. But Soojin wouldn’t give any of them the opportunity to explain the real situation.

So Baekhyun opted to give Soojin a taste of her own medicine, and hopefully, it would make her realize things she hasn’t yet.

He hopes she gets to grasp things soon before their wedding. He wouldn’t wanna marry Soojin with her having too much hatred and rancor in her heart.

“As you all can see…”

President Lee pauses to clear his throat.

“My son, Seungmin, Vice President and the initial successor of the company is back.”

Thirty of the Board of Directors and Main Investors of the company all whisper among themselves as they look at Seungmin’s direction and wait for the President to continue.

“You all knew of what is happening to the company and everyone involved in it, correct?”

Everyone agrees, some just shook their heads, yes and some are more vocal.

“You all knew, even if it was a shame to me and my family, that Vice President Lee Seungmin ran away from his responsibilities in the middle of the process of his take over.”

The throng of businessmen agrees once again.

“You all worried of the company’s future when Seungmin strayed. And then I introduced the second heir and not a lot of you knew about her, my eldest daughter, Soojin...”

President Lee took Soojin’s cold hand from the table where it was resting and held it tight to acknowledge her.

“A number of you were skeptical about an exiled daughter. But in less than half a year, Soojin has proven not only to me but also to everyone that she can handle anything and everything that is thrown at her regarding our company.”

Everyone nods their heads in unison.

“Soojin and I earned everyone’s support, then, and now I hope all of you can accept my decision to still give the company’s future to my daughter, Lee Soojin and for Lee Seungmin to remain to his Vice President position…”

The function room full of executives suddenly uproared with mixed feelings and opinions. Almost everyone was arguing with each other, questioning the old man’s decision. Some are asking if he’s already in his right mind from being in a coma for two months.

“President Lee, excuse me, but it’s obvious that a lot of us would still like it if Vice President Seungmin is to take over the company.”

Mister Jung, one of the board members speaks out amidst the middle of everyone’s noise.

Soojin heard his father took a heavy sigh from beside her, shaking his head of what a mess everything is. This is not what the old man was expecting to happen. He anticipated for the people around him, his very loyal peers to just comply with every decision he takes, just like how they always do.

“I agree with Mr. Jung, President Lee. We know how hardworking and dedicated Soojin-ssi is, but we cannot deny the credentials Vice President Seungmin has. He has been with us ever since he was young. I’m sure Chairman Byun will agree to most of us…”

Another person chisels in.

“But let’s not forget that Vice President Seungmin did run away from his duties last year. Is that how you want your future leader to be?”

A certain Mister Min counters and a number of businessmen exclaims their alliance to President Lee and Soojin right after.

“Yeah, what if it happens again when he gets burned out suddenly?”

One more executive spoke.

“I agree with Mister Min…”

Seungmin suddenly speaks up and every mouth that was speaking inside the room went mute. Everyone was looking at him like he was talking nonsense.

“Vice President Seungmin…”

One of Seungmin’s supporters was shocked by what the younger man let out.

“I concede the position of Lee Transport’s heir to my younger sister, Lee Soojin. I have no intentions, whatsoever, to take over the CEO position of Lee Transport Group. I don’t feel like I deserve the title as I am a coward...”

Seungmin trails off, standing from his seat to walk towards the anterior of the small stage and continues his sentence.

“I apologize to everyone who believed in me and to everyone who works hard for this company to prosper. I’m truly sorry, I failed all of you.”

And to that, Seungmin bowed himself on his waist in a ninety-degree angle before lowering himself to his knees right in front of everyone. Causing yet another uproar of arguments from every business moguls in the room.

Soojin couldn’t believe what she was seeing, she wanted to run to his brother’s side and comfort him in pity. But she couldn’t let anyone see any sign of weakness from her. Especially not her brother because if she did, he will win. She couldn’t let him win. She has to protect her father and their company from Seungmin’s hands.

President Lee couldn’t take to watch the setting in front of him anymore, so with the help of his bodyguards, he stood up from his chair and fled the scene with his entourage following behind him.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

“Are you sure you’re not going to Jo—…”

Hisako stopped herself from mentioning Jongdae’s name and convincing Yanmei to go to his wedding. She and Soojin have been careful not to mention his name in Yanmei’s presence ever since they all found out that he’s marrying another woman.

Yanmei has been thriving with work and with life in general. She has made herself busy so as to not fall into another deep ocean of depressive episode she has been having since her teenage years. She covers it up pretty well with having a smart mouth and a goofy exterior.

She needs to forget about him immediately, she has no time to dwell on the not-so-distant past, she has her sister to worry about.

“Hisako!”

Soojin reprimands, glaring at Hisako for almost speaking of his name. Yanmei giggles a bit as she helped Hisako zip her dress up for her ex’s wedding. She chose not to come obviously she’s still hurt even though it has been four months since the wedding announcement already.

“It’s fine, Sooj. I’m fine… I think.”

Yanmei smiles, although her smile didn’t reach her eyes, she still smiled as if everything was okay as if everything was just peachy.

“I’m sorry.”

The grimace Hisako showed made Yanmei hug her friend tightly.

“You have nothing to be sorry about, it’s not you who hurt and betrayed me.”

“Do you want me to stay here with you?”

Hisako offered.

“Don’t you dare, Hisa! You know I can’t be alone with those people around me. If you leave me, then I have no one!”

The thing was aside from not wanting to leave Yanmei alone on a day like this, Hisako wasn’t exactly being honest with her friends. She wasn’t honest about the things that have been happening between her and Chanyeol. She was sure Chanyeol will be at Jongdae’s wedding and she wasn’t sure if she’s ready to see him again. It has been three weeks since he last called, the longest time she hasn’t seen him. Hisako wasn’t sure if he’s still alive or what, nobody mentions him to her. Definitely no text messages from him, not even an SNS update.

“I’ll be fine, Hisa. You have to look for Sooj, she will be by the enemy’s side. She needs you there.”

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

“Wait, where’s Mei-mei?”

Sehun blurted out of the blue, as they all wait for the ceremony to start. Their group (sans Jongdae, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Seungmin) were huddled in one corner of the hotel garden while a lot of the older generations were scattered to socialize.

“Are you ing serious, Oh Sehun?”

Soojung snapped at Sehun suddenly. Jongin tried grabbing onto his girlfriend’s wrist to appease her, but she swatted him away ready to square up.

Sunmi can only hear and feel the quickly tense aura, pouts. She held onto Soojin tightly as if be to her like a little girl that’s being teased by her playmates. Soojin immediately calms her by patting her by the head gently as to not ruin her hairstyle.

“Sehun…”

Soojin gave her cousin a knowing look and he acknowledges his honest mistake by slightly biting his lower lip in between his teeth.

“I’m… I’m sorry, I forgot.”

Sehun frowns and gave everyone a sad apologetic smile.

Hisako has just closed her slacked jaw when it fell ajar again when she sees Baekhyun and… CHANYEOL! emerging from the garden entrance. ‘Holy hell,’ she thought. Here he is. ‘Goddamnit, I should’ve stayed home with Yanmei!’ more unspoken words played in Hisako’s head.

‘He looks fine, goddamnit. Maybe he reconciled with his mom and stopped drinking…’

“What?”

Yixing whispers.

“Wait, what? Huh?”

“You said something under your breath just now, Hisako-ssi.”

“Did I? I was just uhm... Reciting! Yeah, reciting lyrics I heard on the radio on the way here.”

Hisako lied and Yixing seems to buy what she said when he nods his head to accept her explanation. Thank God! She better be careful next time not to think out loud what she has in mind, next time it wouldn’t be just Yixing who might hear it.

As Hisako looked up again, Chanyeol was now only a few meters away from her with only their friends that act as barricades between them, staring right at her form. From the tip of her shoes to her flowy champagne dress and up to her face. Chanyeol was eyeing her as if criticizing an artwork in a museum.

She wanted to move or to moan out in frustration or even to smack him square in the face, just do something so he can stop his scrutinizing games. She hated being stared at, Chanyeol knows it but he’s doing exactly that and it’s pissing her off slightly.

Slightly, only slightly because she also missed how he looks at her. It’s almost half a year now since they started their little charade and the more she spends a night with a drunk Chanyeol, the more she forgets about the stress her work gives her.

Chanyeol is like a drug and she’s honestly addicted to him. She knows it’s going to be a problem sooner or later, but she’s not doing anything to stop it. How can she stop when Chanyeol helps her weed out the negatives in her work life. Albeit Chanyeol is also toxic, her anxiety at work is much, much uglier. And she’d rather be used by him than be worn to death at work.

“What do you mean both Jongdae and Seulgi are missing?!?!?!”

What seemed to be Jongdae’s Mother’s shrill voice was heard, conversations from guests all around the Byun Hotel garden suddenly stopped with only the soft music filling the void.

And then a commotion erupts when Seulgi’s Mother fainted.

“!”

Every single man in your group suddenly pulls out their phones from their suit pockets and starts looking up contacts on their phones.

“I’m calling Jongdae!”

Baekhyun declares.

“Hello, find Jongdae… Now!”

Minseok commanded someone on the other line, his face contorts with both worry and disappointment.

“I’m gonna try and track his phone.”

Jongin starts tapping on his phone with the same expression as Minseok, albeit much softer than the older one.

“Me too,”

Sehun bellowed.

“I’ll try and call Seulgi.”

Soojung announces, being friends with the bride.

“Wh–what’s happening?”

Sunmi starts frowning as she shakes Yixing’s arm. Yixing then puts his phone back into his pocket and attended to Sunmi instead.

“Both the bride and the groom are missing, Mimi. They’re all finding them. Do you wanna sit down for now?”

Sunmi then just nods her head sheepishly as a reply.

“Okay, I’ll get a chair. Wait here.”

“No, take me with you. I just… I just feel anxious right now, let’s go to a much quieter place, please?”

Tears start to well on the side of Sunmi’s eyes and Soojin silently bobs her head to give Yixing a go signal. He doesn’t really have to, but Yixing seeks for Soojin’s approval since she started being in Sunmi’s life again.

“Ask Yixing to look for me or Soojung when you need us, okay?”

Soojin gave Sunmi’s cheek a quick kiss before letting her go.

“I will, eonni.”

Sunmi tries smiling, but the stress of the situation is obvious in her face.

“Junmyeon-ah, where are you going!!!”

Minseok yelled.

“I need to do something!”

The only thing Junmyeon said before running out with his phone already stuck to his left ear.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

There is nothing to do. She doesn’t have any pending work, her lesson plans for the next week were already done last night, she made sure she finishes her work on time so that she can have some leisure time during the weekends.

If she decides to turn the television on, she was sure the media will cover Jongdae’s wedding. She doesn’t wanna see or hear anything related to that.

The social media, on the other hand, is pretty stale, not much update from friends back home in America, everyone is just busy with life.

Ah, yes maybe a thirty-minute workout will tire her out and maybe she’ll have a few hours nap. And as she was about to reach for her laptop, her phone started ringing. Looking at the screen she was surprised to see her boss, Junmyeon, calling her. Why was he calling her, he should be at the wedding. Maybe he’s bored?

“Hello?”

She answers.

“Yanmei-ssi? Yanmei-ssi, where are you?”

Yanmei can tell Junmyeon sounded hasty as if he was running or something.

“I’m at home, Junmyeon-ssi. Why are you asking, is there a problem?”

“Yanmei-ssi, I think he’s—”

Yanmei’s attention was cut by the loud and rapid knocking on her apartment door. It’s probably the elderly neighbors again asking for assistance in their kitchen. Since the elderly couple neighbors found out she can make a mean pie, they always invite her in for some recipes and tips. Of course, Yanmei being a big softie when it comes to elderly folks, she complies to their requests.

“Excuse me Junmyeon-ssi, I think my neighbors are knocking.”

“Yanmei-ssi, that’s no—”

“Harabeoji, are you here fo—”

Yanmei’s welcoming smile for the elderly man who always knocks fell when it wasn’t the old man who was at the front door knocking.

“J–Jongdae… Jongdae what are you—”

Without another word, Jongdae wraps Yanmei in a tight and longing embrace. It has been more than six months since he last saw her and he can’t belie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter