EP19

200N (A Love Paradox)

EP19

~~

[Arin’s POV]

 

I really wished that Ryu just scratched his face. I’m so pissed off with him right now. Alexus called me out here for something. But instead, he played a prank by scaring me!

 

Please do not wish anyone bad luck. That’s bad. I was wrong for thinking that.

 

That aside, after his laughing session, we’re now sitting next to each other on the picnic table.

 

“The lanterns are nice, don’t you think?” He says.

 

“Yeah.” I agreed. It was a relaxing sight.

 

“Ne, Arin.”

 

“Nani?”

 

“Do you think it’s natural and okay if you fall for someone not long after you broke up with your ex?” He sounded serious here.

 

“Why are you talking to me about that?” I asked him. “You should be having a guys’ talk with them.”

 

“When I was in need of someone to talk to, strangely, you came into my mind first.” He looked at me straight in the eye.

 

“Eh? How so?” I say.

 

“I just felt like it.” He looked away.

 

“Hmm...” What to say? “Well, I think it depends, though. If you’re holding back because you feel like it’s inappropriate, don’t you think you’re denying it that you’re actually in love with someone already? If you do, you’re probably just holding it back, and just showing pity towards the ex, that is, if the ex can’t move on.”

 

“I don’t know if that’s the right thing. But to me, if you like someone, shouldn’t you tell it? Most people say they just can’t decide on what they want. But in truth they already know what they want, deep inside their hearts. Maybe they just can’t admit it because there are strong reasons behind. But, why do you have to complicate life, right?” When I raised my head, we were looking at each other, eye to eye.

 

“What?” I ask. What is this nervous energy?

 

“I like you.” He said.

 

“EH?!”

 

“Ah, well, I mean... you say it like that, right?” he says, suddenly scratching the nape of his neck. He looked embarrassed.

 

“Hai...” I say. I thought he said something weird. Yabai. My heart is beating too fast.

 

“Arigatou.” He says. “You should head back first.”

 

“What about you?” I ask.

 

“I have to plan my capture strategy.” He smiles at me with determination.

 

“Is there someone you like?” I say in an attempt to .

 

He chuckled. “Yeah, there is.”

 

“Mind telling me what kind of person she is?” I ask. “Is she from our block; or from another course? Have I seen her already?”

 

“Too nosy.” He says. “Go back inside or you’ll catch a cold.”

 

“I won’t since I’m wearing a parka. But you...”

 

“I’m as strong as steel!” He says, showing off his ‘muscles’.

 

“Right.” I say. “Oyasumi. Mata aa.” I left the picnic area.

 

While I was walking back to the back door, I felt weird. I don’t want to admit it, but somehow, it seemed like I’m getting more involved with Alexus. I’m not so sure what to think myself.

 

~~

It’s finally March. It’s about time for finals too. The semester flew by so fast.

 

“Shall we go to karaoke night?” Jaden says. Everyone agreed.

 

“I can’t.” I tell them.

 

“Why not?” Demi was pouting.

 

“I have to go somewhere.” I say. I wanted to drop by Florian’s since Seth’s girlfriend was discharged. Seth requested me to accompany her at the cafe while he was working.

 

“I can’t either.” Alexus says.

 

Everyone was surprised. He just spoke so loudly, like it was an exasperated expression. He sighed. “Sorry guys. I have to go now.” He says then left.

 

“Arin, do you know anything?” Dani asks.

 

“Eh? Why me?” I ask.

 

“You two are close.” Hyo says. “We thought you might know something.”

 

“Yeah, they’re texting a lot.” Dani says.

 

I felt embarrassed all of a sudden. She actually read my inbox once, and thought Alexus and I were dating because she thought we were sweet talking in our conversations. But in truth it was just normal for us to be bantering and teasing and randomly trying to piss each other off.

 

“Masaka.” I say. “He never said anything to me. I was just as surprised as you were.” I tell them.

 

“By the way, where are you going? What’s more important than our karaoke night?” Chiaki crossed her arms as she asks me.

 

“Remember Seth?” I ask. “I’m going to accompany his girlfriend today.”

 

“WHAT?!” Everyone said at once.

 

“Oy, oy, oy. Arin, why?” Hyo asks.

 

“I’m friends with her. She doesn’t have many friends because she was staying at the hospital for a long time. She was just discharged.” I told them. “The girls can come with me if you want.”

 

“Ah, but we already have karaoke night.” Chiaki says.

 

“What was the reason she was hospitalized?” Dani asks.

 

“For heart transplant.” I say.

 

“Maybe we’re going to be too lively for her.” Dani says. “We’ll come along next time when she’s finally getting better.”

 

“Okay.” I say.

 

~~

When I reached Florian’s, she was already seated by the window. Seth comes to her table to serve her a cake. Natalie saw me, and she smiled and waved at me.

 

“How’s it going?” I ask her as soon as I sat down.

 

“Great!” she smiles. Natalie is becoming livelier now that she is getting into a better health condition. And her naturally pretty face is becoming more and more noticeable as her recovery improves. “Want some cake? It’s on me.” She says.

 

I nodded. She called to her boyfriend for the day’s special.

 

“Ano, Natalie. My friends wanted to come see you today. But next time they’ll meet you if you have time.” I say.

 

“Really?! That’s great!” She clapped her hands together. “I’d love to meet everyone.” She says.

 

We talked about a lot of other girly stuff. I think she heard from Seth how I am knowledgeable with Japanese Calligraphy. We talked about it for a long time. I even showed her pictures of my grandfather’s work.

 

She’s an art major after all. We basically talked about art throughout the whole time.

 

It was getting dark now when Seth finished his shift.

 

“Shall we all go?” he says. “Is there anything you girls want for dinner?” he asks.

 

“I had plenty of cake already.” Natalie says.

 

“ I want to eat karaage, though.” I say quietly.

 

“Eh?! Arin, you ate a lot of cake already!” Natalie says.

 

Seth laughed. “She can eat anything. Just don’t give it all to her at once. She will get indigestion.” He says.

 

“Wah, you two are really close. Say, if you get indigestion, I have some medicine here.” Natalie gestured to her bag.

 

“Let’s go eat dinner at an outdoor restaurant.” I suggested.

 

Since Natalie already ate a lot, she just ordered tea. Seth and I had two plates of karaage each.

 

“I’m amazed you can eat that much.” Natalie says. “But just take it slowly.”

 

“Hai, hai!” I popped a karaage in my mouth. OISHIII!!

 

“Say, how’s it going with you and that guy?” Seth points the question towards me.

 

“Huh? Is Arin seeing someone?” Natalie asks.

 

“Masaka.” I say. “Do you mean Alexus? We’re just close friends.”

 

“I don’t see anything like close friends between you two.” Seth chuckles.

 

“Anosan. Every girl has that one guy friend who is just a friend but the whole world thinks she’s dating him. What is wrong with you people? Also, we both have to get along. We’re churchmates. You must always get along with your brothers and sisters in the church.” I say.

 

It’s true. Alexus and I go to the same church, twice a week. Maybe it’s because of that that they are thinking there’s something going on between us. We just go together most of the time, but that doesn’t mean we’re dating.

 

“Fine, fine.” Seth says. “You talk like we’re not churchmates.”

 

“Who’s this guy you’re talking about?” Natalie pipes up.

 

“Oh, my classmate.” I say.

 

“Do you like him, Arin?” she asks.

 

I coughed. “Eh?”

 

She was looking at me, expecting me for an answer.

 

[SNIP]