EP1

200N (A Love Paradox)

Episode 1

~~

Everyone thinks I have a special dislike for this boy in my class.

 

 I wouldn’t call it ‘dislike’ since I never wasted a single second in my life to even think of him as someone I dislike. Neither did I ever think that I might’ve even liked him. It was more of indifference. Yes, I was somewhat oblivious to his presence.

 

We are in the same block, the same course, the same major, the same college and the same group of friends but we have never talked to each other. Not even once.

 

We both know the other exists, but we never talked to each other. We coexist in the same world but we never even had the chance to say a word to each other. We nod to greet each other. But other than that, there’s nothing else.

 

To me, Alexus is hard to reach. He’s smart, sociable and quite friendly. Even though he somewhat in sports, except of course a bit of basketball, he was still admirable. Yes, admirable. A lot of people look up to him. He’s just that witty. He’s full of ideas; he’s fun to talk to. All of these I have observed just by seeing how he interacts and does things in our group.

 

I haven’t talked to him because he seemed to not click with me. I couldn’t see us connecting in any way. Plus, I find him really just out of reach. He’s somewhat out of my zone—out of my league.

 

We’re now half-way through the semester. Midterms have been finished last week. Now, we’re on to the University Week! Finally!

 

Next week is the week-long University Week. There will be a lot of events and even a parade of the colleges.

 

Right now, we are all busy preparing for our respective events. Most of my friends joined the Mass Demo. Meanwhile I signed up for the booth.

 

I wanted to submit my projects for display. At first, the department chairman didn’t want to. I can’t blame him for being suspicious of me. I at my maths. But, I just love building robots.

 

He thought I was making useless junk. Of course, I was offended by it. So I ended up showing my project right in the office, on his desk.

 

It was so annoying.

 

He did give me quite the earful about being able to do something good, but can’t even pass my subjects. It’s not because I was dumb, nor did I hate the maths. It’s just that I get lazy doing things I don’t even like doing. Studying is one of those things.

 

“Take this list to the laboratory.” One of the fifth years told me as he handed me a piece of paper. “We’re going to need everything in there to make this booth the best!”

 

“Okay!” I took the list from him. Wow, so many multi-testers. And what is the five toolboxes for?

 

“Jinyu!” He turned his back towards me then motioned for the guy who squat next to a tall wooden post. He was tying a rope around it to hold a tarpaulin in place. “Come here for a sec.”

 

“Yeah?” He turned to face our direction. He stood up, and then walked towards us.

 

There was something in the way he walks. I don’t know how I should describe it. He would sway both arms, and then his right hand would go up to the back of his hair. I don’t know why he does that. It must be out of a habit.

“Need something?” he asks, addressing the fifth year.

 

“Help Keets out, could you? I need you guys to fetch some stuff from the stockroom.” The fifth year pats him on the back then goes to continue what Alexus has left unfinished.

 

“Let’s go.” He says, walking ahead.

 

I followed behind him, watching him walk and wave and smile at people he knows that we would pass by. He has this charismatic smile that makes me stop and stare every time he does. His teeth aren’t perfect, though. It wasn’t a smile worthy of TV commercials. Still, I feel like his smile was really nice, like it felt like he was cheering me up.

 

We stopped by the jeep stop. While waiting for the jeep that will lead to the College of Engineering, he held out his hand to me. “Can I see the list?”

 

I nodded then handed it to him.

 

“What are they gonna do with tons of toolboxes?” He mutters.

 

“I know, right?” I say. That was the first sentence I told him. I feel conscious of him since this is the first time we’re doing something together. Surprisingly, though it’s easy to talk to him.

 

“Say, Alexus?” I began. “Why did you join the booth team? I thought you said you’d join any event that Dani and the others would sign up for.” I thought maybe we both could use idle chat.

 

At that moment, a jeep arrived. We got in and sat near the entrance.

 

After a while of silence, he started to talk.

 

“I don’t like to dance.” He says.

 

I looked at his expression. He was smiling casually.

 

Then, he added, “I can’t have everyone to adjust to me. I was the only one who didn’t want to join. So, I signed up for the booth instead. At least, I don’t have to worry about the attendance anymore.” He laughed.

 

 Anyone who joined an event doesn’t have to worry about the attendance anymore. If you missed one signature in your name on the attendance sheet, it’s a fifty-peso fine.

 

“Did you submit an entry?” I asked him.

 

“Huh?” He looked up from the paper he was holding.

 

“I mean, you joined the booth preparations, right? It’s an exhibit. So, did you submit anything to display?”

 

He looked sideways then crossed his legs and arms. Then he smiled at me. “Nope. I just help out with things that I could. I did help with programming for the number game. It was all thanks to you.”

 

I jumped. All thanks to me? This is the first ever time I’m having a conversation with him. I don’t think I told him anything.

 

Yes. We have been in the same group, the same block, the same course and the same college for three months now and this is the first ever time that we are talking to each other. Yes, the first time.

 

 

“Huh?” was all I can manage to say.

 

“I overheard you muttering about this Harvest Goddess game. I got curious but I couldn’t ask you about anything because I thought you didn’t like talking to me. So I did a research about it.” He was smiling to himself. He looked shy about something.

 

“I don’t hate you.” I blurt out.

 

That said, he looked at me so suddenly with that surprised expression of his. “Oh?”

 

“I haven’t talked to Hyo for a long time either, if you were worried about me not talking to you.” I shifted awkwardly in my seat. “I just don’t know what I should be telling you guys.”

 

“But you spoke to Hyo...” his voice trailed off.

 

“Ah, that’s because he spoke to me first. I stepped on his shoe laces one time and my shoes were muddy. He gave me a chop on the forehead because of that.” I added.

 

I don’t start conversations with people I am normally indifferent with. That’s just how it goes with me. I don’t hate people. I’m just indifferent towards people I don’t really know.

 

“I see. You’re the type who doesn’t start conversations unless someone talks to you first.” He says.

 

“Probably.” I say.

 

“Well, if you don’t hate me, then do you perhaps, like me?” He says.

 

I shot a look at him. His face was serious. “Iie!! I mean, no, it’s not like that!”

 

“Huh? Then why are you so defensive?” He looked into my eyes suspiciously.

 

“I’m not defensive; I was just surprised by your question. Are you really that confident about yourself? Ugh.” I crossed my arms.

 

“Ahh, because they say, if you ignore a person, it’s either you like them or you hate them.” He says.

 

“People have it wrong.” I tell him. It’s true.

 

“How do you say so?” He asks.

 

“Well, love and hate are actually on the same side. The opposite of that is when you’re just... indifferent.” I glanced at him. He was looking at me, somewhat surprised. I shifted my eyes to the view outside. “I was just oblivious to your presence, that’s all.”

 

“Hahaha! I see...” he says. Was he supposed to laugh? I suddenly felt a little irritated and guilty for saying that. But those were my thoughts. “Well, I was always worried that you probably hate me.” He says.

 

“Why?” I ask him. “Just because I never approached you...”

 

“Yeah, yeah. But Arin, in general, it leaves such an impression.” He says. I guess... he’s right. “Not everyone has the same way of thinking. And it’s also because everyone was teasing me that you probably hate me.”

 

“Well, why didn’t you talk to me back then?” I ask.

 

“Ah, well, you have this invisible sign on your face that says, ‘I don’t like talking’ so I couldn’t bring myself to approach you and start a conversation.” He answers shyly.

 

I couldn’t help myself from laughing. He said ‘what’ then started laughing, too. After that, we were quiet for a while. I watched the scenery sweep past into view as the jeep moved.

 

“The air is dusty.” I mutter to myself.

 

“Arin?”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Is it bad? To be indifferent to someone...” I looked at his face. He was looking at something distant.

 

“I don’t think so.” I answer. “Besides, it’s just a neutral zone.”

 

“I see.” He chuckles. “Well, I’m glad.”

~~

“We’re back, kuya!” I say as Alexus and I entered the booth. It was just a temporary building made of tent cloth and plywood. They are now setting up the wirings and the tables. I put the two toolboxes I was carrying onto the work table. Alexus did the same.

 

“Good job!” says the fifth year guy. “Now, Alexus I need you to help out with setting up the gaming booths. Arianne, you need to set up your exhibit. You can ask help from the technical team if you need help with the wirings.”

 

“Okay!” I say. I was about to leave when he added, “Oh, and you will wear the uniform on the University Week. You’ll be attending to your exhibit, so dress accordingly.” He winked then went off to help with the setting up of lights.

 

What uniform? I have a bad feeling about this!

 

Now then, I have to get to work. I went to the box labelled “Keets”. I picked it up and carried it to the nearest table that was vacant. I flipped the lid open then took out the stuff inside.

 

Ehem. So, my project is The Barista. It’s like a coffee vending machine. But I don’t like coffee so it serves hot chocolate instead. When you walk up to it, it will say “Good day! Want a cup?” and you just need to insert a coin at the slot near his “eyes” and he goes to prepare a cup and then the arm will pick it up from the small platform then serve it.

 

It was originally just a coffee vending machine. It was boring so I decided to add an arm. This arm is a test for balancing containers with stuff inside them. That was what this project is mostly about.

 

I set him up on the table. While I was wiping off dust from his surface using a damp rag, I couldn’t help but wonder what Alexus was up to. I looked around and I saw him sitting with a laptop in front of him. I bet he’s programming. I couldn’t see his face since his back was facing me. But I could tell he was serious about his work.

 

I admit I like that part about him. He is so passionate with his studies. Me? I’m just so lazy and yeah, you know where it got me.

 

That aside, I continued with my task.

~~

It was such a tiring day that I fell asleep the moment I got back in my dorm room. When I woke up, Dani was already snoring, and the lights were out.

 

She didn’t even wake me up for dinner time. Maybe she got tired of practice?

 

I decided to get out of bed.

 

It was late that night when I sneaked out of our room and stepped out into the garden maze behind the residence.

 

Dani was fast asleep under the sheets of her bed. Ryu was curled up on the carpet.

 

 

It was chilly outside. I put my hands inside my parka’s pockets then took the challenge of walking barefoot on the grass as I entered the maze. I left my slippers on the stairs that leads to the door to the back of the residence.

 

It was cold, yet relaxing. I shivered from time to time as I made my way through the maze. I was on my way to the picnic garden to see the lanterns that automatically light up at night. They hang down the branches of an old tree that was standing there.

 

These lanterns light up automatically because there is a LDR in the circuit of the lanterns. It switches on when there is no light source. That light source is the daylight sunshine, of course.

 

I was almost at the entrance when I heard voices.

 

At first I thought it was just my imagination created by the fact that I was all alone, wandering the maze in the middle of the night. But then I heard something that sounded like two people were arguing.

 

There must be someone there in the picnic area. I didn’t mind trotting towards the entrance since I was silently moving without any slippers on.

 

I sneaked next to the pair of trash bins situated near the opening where the entrance was the gap between five-foot hedges. As I looked into the area, I saw, under the light of the lanterns, a girl and a boy. They stood there facing each other.

 

They both looked angry. There was something scattered on the grass. Who’s that girl? I have never seen her before. Is she from another college? What is she doing in the Engineering Residence?

 

The boy who was looking angrily into her eyes was someone I very much know. My classmate, Alexus Jinyu.

 

What’s going on?

 

“This is the end.” I heard the girl say. “I’m breaking up with you.”

 

N-nani?! Break up?!

 

I immediately put both hands to my mouth as a gasp escaped my lips. Luckily, no one noticed since those two were too busy with whatever was going on between them.

 

“Fine.” I hear Alexus say. “I’m tired.”

 

The girl took a step back. From the look in her eyes, she seemed surprised by his response.

 

“Yeah. I give up. I’m tired. I’m tired of going around this relationship. Everything’s the same.” Alexus adds.

 

Alexus’ eyes were looking at something distant.

 

The girl stomped her foot onto the grass. “FINE! FOR REAL! Oh, and this junk?! It’s all yours back. I don’t need them.”

 

WHAAAAAT?

 

Oh no, she’s walking away! She’s going this way! I have to go somewhere!

 

There was nowhere else. The safest was inside the large trash bin. Hey, don’t get any ideas. It’s bleached and scrubbed clean. The janitors clean it up every four in the afternoon.

 

So, I climbed up the steel bars holding them in place. Then, I plopped down into a trash bin.

 

So cold!

 

I heard her footsteps getting louder as they made angry contact with the grass. A minute later, it became quiet.

 

For a moment I went still. I could hear the blood rushing through the veins of my ears.

 

How do I get out of here? Why did I hide here? I could’ve just bolted back into the building!

 

It can’t be helped. I acted out of impulse. All I can do is wait for Alexus to totally leave this place and I can go back inside the residence, peacefully.

 

It didn’t take too long for Alexus’ footsteps to start making their way out of the picnic area. His movement was always so quiet. Sometimes, he drags his heels when he’s spacing out while walking. I just noticed so. Even my friends have their own way of walking. It’s like a fingerprint.

 

I heard his light steps stop right where it was loudest. That means he’s nearby.

 

Not good!

 

I put both hands to my mouth. This is driving me crazy! My heart is beating too fast! Stop, heart! I feel like he knew I was here and he’d look into the trash bin.

 

I kept my head down, buried between my knees. If he looks inside I hope he would think I was just a trash bag that was just put in after the clean up!

 

It was so quiet. My ears throbbed, my temple throbbed. I was starting to feel like something was in my throat. I had the impulse to cough but I have to hold it in. My back even started to itch.

 

I gulped.

 

Why isn’t he moving? Did he space out? Was the break up a bit too overwhelming?

 

Why can’t he just go to his room and vent it out there?!

 

CLANG!!

 

“KYAAAAH!!” MY EARDRUMS!

 

“What?!” It was a muffled sound from someone. My head is spinning...

 

“Who’re you?! Why are you hiding in there?!” Who is this? Everything feels hazy and zigzaggy, like a radio wave signal that just encountered noise.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Get out of there, you.” I felt someone grab my hand, trying to pull me up. “Hey, get out of there.”

 

My legs feel wobbly... What just happened?

 

Someone was tugging at my arm.

 

“Dare soko ni... desu...?” The tingling vision is gone. But I don’t feel like I’m back to my senses yet. Who’s  there?

 

I felt like I got drunk, although I’ve never drunk anything alcoholic.

 

I felt the rim of the trash bin with my fingers, then I pulled myself up. The moment half of my body emerged into the familiar chill of the cold night breeze, I took a really deep breath.

 

Just as I was about to exhale, our eyes met.

 

“SHIPAI!!”

 

[snip]