EP11

200N (A Love Paradox)

EP11

~~

[Arin’s POV]

 

I couldn’t sleep properly that night. I kept thinking about how I could get closure with Seth. I thought of the negatives and positives, it drove me crazy!

 

I barely had some sleep when I woke up. I don’t know why, but I just couldn’t go back to sleep again. So I decided to check the time. It was still five forty-eight at dawn. The exhibit starts at nine. I decided to get up. My roommates are all sound asleep.

 

I just got out of the sheets when my phone beeped.

 

From: Alexus

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! J

 

Huh? What timing. Did he just wake up, too?

 

To: Alexus

Thanks! Good morning, too.

From: Alexus

Ohayo. :D

To: Alexus

Hahaha. You’re getting into it. Is everyone awake there?

From Alexus:

Nope. Just me. Wanna go to the pool area?

To: Alexus

Yada.

From: Alexus

Aww L

To: Alexus

Hahahaha :D

 

He didn’t reply anymore. So I decided to finally get out of bed. I did a few stretches, and then I went to the bathroom with all my bath stuff. I’ll take a bath now.

 

When I finished taking a bath, the rest have just waked up. They were still lying in bed or fumbling with their phones.

 

“Good morning.” I greeted them.

 

“Why is it so cold...” Chiaki complained.

 

Evelyn laughed. “you’re the one who set the aircon temperature last night.”

 

“I’ll turn it off before everyone starts getting gas build up.” Dani got up and reached for the remote to turn the aircon off.

 

We were all set to go to the exhibit by eight that morning. We already had our breakfast. When it was time to board the bus, I sat near the window. Then, someone takes up the seat next to me.

 

“Alexus? Woah, your hair...” his hair was down. I didn’t know he had bangs. I think this is his bed hair.

 

“Ah, I woke up late I only had five minutes to get ready.” He says. “I’ll put on clay-doh here. Do you have a compact mirror?”

 

“No. Only girls bring that.” I told him.

 

“Psh. You’re a girl.” He says.

 

“You can use the front camera of your phone,though.” I suggested.

 

He took the advice. He made me hold his phone in front of him, though. It took him so long to get his hair to its usual hairstyle that my arm ached.

 

Afterwards he took the phone and thanked me.

 

To my surprise, he suddenly took my hand and started to press a thumb at the joint. “Sorry it took me that long. My hair is very stubborn, you see.” He says while he was trying to massage my arm at the joint.

 

“Daijoubu.” I told him.

[it’s okay.]

 

The exhibit flew by quickly. After that the bus went straight to D’Leonor.

 

I cant express my excitement into words! There’s so many things I wanted to do!

 

Miss Mideorima and the IT Instructor gave us some guidelines and reminders before sending us off. We are supposed to meet at the entrance by seven o’clock.

 

We all had lunch together at the restaurant near the hotel. After that, we went into groups.

 

I saw Seth wave at me. It’d be rude to ignore him. I waved back to avoid making things worse.

 

The first thing my group did was to enjoy a few rides. Then we went sightseeing. We took pictures next to statues and sculptures and of course, in places we liketo have our pictures taken.

 

I was taking a selfie near a bunch of flowers for that garden fairy feel when I realized I couldn’t hear my friends. I looked around but there was no sign of them. Where did they go off to?

 

I tried calling everyone but none of them would answer!

 

All of a sudden it poured.

 

Wah!

 

I immediately ran off to the nearest shelter, a durian sculpture. It was hollow inside. It was definitely made for those wacky pictures as if you were inside the durian fruit.

 

I took out a towel and dried myself. While I was wiping off droplets from my arms, another person came in to shelter from the rain.

 

We looked at each other at the same time; right into each others’ eyes.

 

[switch]

“oh, no! This is too sudden!” Chiaki said.

 

The rain suddenly started pouring, right in the middle of our jumpshot. We decided to take shelter at a small cottage.

 

“Too bad we didn’t get a good shot.” Dani says.

 

“We can try again later.” Colin looked out the window of the cottage. “Gosh, these droplets are big.”

 

“Yeah.” Jaden put his hand out to feel the droplets.

 

“Does anyone notice where Arin went?” Hyo suddenly pipes up. Eveyone looked at him, then we randomly looked at each other.

 

“I got a missed call from her!” Chiaki says.

 

After that, everyone said “Me too!’

 

She called each of us and we didn’t notice. I called her but she’s not picking up.

 

“I cant reach her.” Dani panicked, “Why is it blocked?!”

 

“That’s because I’m also calling her.” I told her. “Calm down. If she’s not picking up my call, you dial her next.”

 

“Okay, okay.”

 

I dialled her for the nth time, but she’s not answering.

 

“My turn.” Dani said the moment I put my phone down.

 

She dialled Arin’s number. After a while her expression became more worried. “She’s not answering either.”

 

“Let me try.” Hyo suggested.

 

We took turns trying to call her but she’s not picking up.

 

Just when Chiaki was about to call a higher year, the rain died away.

 

“I’m going out.” I tell them. “She’s probably just nearby, taking shelter.”

 

“Call us if you find her!” Dani says after me.

 

I ran out and went back to places we went to and places we passed by. She wasn’t anywhere. She wasn’t even in the giant durian sculpture that would most likely have been her shelter from the rain.

 

I ran around looking for this girl. She’ll be really easy to spot since she’s just wearing a black and gray sweater and black skirt.

 

I still couldn’t find her. Where did she go?

 

I stopped near the zoo entrance to catch my breath.

 

Just then, my phone rang.

 

“BAKA! You made me worried!” That was what I told her the moment I answered her call.

 

[Sumimasen.] She said.

 

“Where are you?”

[I’m at the cafe.]

 

[switch]

 

We stood inside the shelter in silence. He was still the same old Seth with the same old habits and mannerisms.

 

But my feelings for him aren’t the same anymore.

 

Maybe... Maybe this rain is giving me the chance to finally clear all the misunderstandings between us.

 

“O genki desuka?” We both said at the same time.

 

“Saikin do..?” We asked together again.

 

I giggled. He laughed.

 

Then there was silence again.

 

I have to say it now. I have to talk to him.

 

“Genki desu.” He said. “Nantoka keredomo.”

[I,m fine. Although, barely coping.]

 

“With college?” I ask.

 

“Hai.” And we both laughed again.

 

“Soudesuka...” was all I managed to say. He shifted from his feet, then fumbled with his phone.

 

“Gomenasai.” I began.

 

“Nani dakara?”

[for what?]

 

“I was avoiding you because I was still embarrassed by what happened back in high school.” I say. “But I figured I was being stupid for not being able to talk to you again. I was so embarrassed I just couldn’t face you. But, I have to get over it. So, I’m very sorry about the way I acted.”

 

“Ahh, so that’s why.” He said.

 

“Eh?”

 

He was smiling to himself. What was that?

 

“There was this regular at Florian’s who meets up with a girl and they study every Wednesday. He was always buying different things every time he was there.” He began.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Do you know someone who likes éclairs?” He asks me.

 

“What do you mean? Aside from me, I know Jasper loves éclairs as much as I do.” Yeah, my brother who is in the fourth grade now loves éclairs. We both love sweets so much.

 

“He always buys different flavours of éclairs.” He continued. “I overheard his companion ask him why he was always ordering éclairs. He’d say he just wanted to know what it feels like eating a lot of it.” He laughed.

 

What is he getting at?

 

“But these éclairs got nothing to do with this.” He laughed again.

 

“There was one time when I saw you, not long ago. You were on your way to the jeep stop. I wanted to approach you. I was about to go to you when he suddenly appeared, grabbing me by the arm.” He suddenly sounded serious. “He asked me where I was going. Was I about to approach you.  I told him ‘what does it matter to you?’ and I freed my arm from his grip.”

 

“He sighed. Then he told me you’re not comfortable with me so I should just give you space until you want to open up again.” He continued. “It was the second time I saw him. I thought he might be your boyfriend. But he did say he is your best friend and he was just worried about you.”

 

I have a feeling of who he is talking about. “Could you describe him to me?” I ask him.

 

“He’s tall, like me and slim. I’m not good at describing, but I can tell you one thing. He always smells of cologne that’s not very popular with men, nor is it popular with girls. It was a uni scent, both strong and mild. And he likes to scratch the back of his neck. I noticed it because he was doing it several times when we met the second time.” Based on Seth’s description, I had a clear picture in my mind.

 

I don’t know what to feel. I’m not angry, though. I’ve never had anyone to do something like that for me. But I am curious about the éclairs part. What was the significance of it?

 

The rain finally died down.

 

“Ah, well, I have to make a call before I go back to my group.” He says.

 

“Eh?! So, you broke off from your group on purpose?” I ask him.

 

“Yeah. I wanted to know how Natalie was doing.” He says.

 

“Who’s Natalie?” I ask.

 

“The girl Vince and I were talking about.” He answered shyly.

 

“Oh, don’t be so conscious of me. It’s cool, you know. Does she study in the same university?” I ask.

 

“Yeah, she’s an arts major.” He says. “She’s having a heart transplant soon.” He sighed heavily.

 

“Ah, daijoubu. Honto.” I told him. I gave him a pat on the back. “I have to go somewhere.” I told him.

 

“Before I forget; Happy Birthday.” He smiled.

 

“Arigato, Seth-kun.”

 

We said goodbyes then I went off and hurried to the cafe near the wave pool.

 

When I reached the place, I sat down the tables. I suddenly had the urge to see Alexus. I wanted to see him. But if I saw him what will I talk about?

 

I thought for a long time. Then, I dialled his number.

 

[Snip]