EP14

200N (A Love Paradox)

EP14

~~

[Arin’s POV]

 

Demetra’s sudden jump into the picture brought so many questions that Colin wouldn’t even answer. I don’t know what’s going on, but they sure do seem to be really close. No, they really are close.

 

It wasn’t weird. I could only understand a few Italian words. That’s when I realized Demetra was actually speaking in French. After all, she was from Paris; although, she isn’t really French herself. Demetra Aldini is Evelyn’s younger sister. She says she’s a frustrated fashionista. But from what I see, she’s actually not.

 

She did call me Bambina, which is Italian for girl. She would actually spout French words in random.

 

It was a long night for us because she talked too much. She only got back to the city proper to buy chocolate for Colin after hearing it was Winter Harmony Day here. Aside from being quite eccentric, she is pretty obvious when it comes to the guy she likes. It was obvious she likes Colin. Her sister had to call her butler to drive her back to their home in the city.

 

We tried to get Colin to talk but all he said was that Demetra is his childhood friend. That’s when we found out about Colin’s true family background. He is going to be the next CEO of their electronics company after he passes the board exam. Demetra’s family had been partners with Colin’s family when it came to business. And they’ve been at it since their dads were young.

 

Sure Demetra was so heels over head in love with Colin, but what does Colin think about her?

 

Winter break is fast approaching. The university is becoming more and more quiet as the days pass. Everyone is going back to their homes for the winter break.

 

I already packed the stuff I will need to take back home with me. I just live in the city proper so there’s no need for a big luggage.

 

It was finally the day to go back home. I stood at the terminal, waiting for a jeep that goes to the city proper. While there, Alexus startles me with a poke on the sides.

 

“That wasn’t funny.” I told him after he laughed at my reaction.

 

“It’s cute, though.” He said. “When you pout.” And he tried to mimic my pouting.

 

He puffed up his cheeks and puckered his lips. He looked like some fish looking for someone to kiss. I got weirded out by it so I pushed his face away.

 

“Yamete.” I told him.

 

“Hahahaha! Are you going to the city?” he asked.

 

“What do you think?” I asked him. Isn’t it obvious?

 

“I’m going home too.” He says.

 

“Where do you live?” I ask him.

 

“Just in a small subdivision a little ways outside the city proper.” He answered. “Ah, there’s our ride.” He pointed to a jeepney that was approaching the terminal.

 

When it stopped we got in and enjoyed the rest of the journey to the city proper.

 

Winter break, huh? Aside from y brother’s wedding, I wonder what awaits me?

 

[switch]

 

Winter break means work at the restaurant. My parents run a small Asian diner near the wet market of our subdivision. Our regulars are mostly the vendors and the regular shoppers in the area.

 

I go help at the restaurant in the morning. Afternoons are games and movies for me. I spent the days like that until the thirty-first of December. I stayed at home while my parents were busy preparing desserts for New Year’s Eve. My sisters are either helping out or doing their work at home.

 

It was just that day when I decided to check my Facebook account. Hyo uploaded a selfie he took when we had swimming at the pool at the hotel in Davao. It looked weird though since everyone in the picture was topless and was only wearing shorts—the shorts being barely featured in the picture. He also uploaded a picture of the girls talking at the poolside.

 

Arin has such an athletic figure. I wondered if she was doing any sports to achieve those curves and those abs. Although she’s slender, she has quite some strength you wouldn’t expect a girl her size could possibly have.

 

I liked the post and scrolled down the news feed. Ah, Arin just posted her pictures during her brother’s wedding. She’s one of the bridesmaids. She looked really beautiful in that dress.

 

Her face would differ depending on her makeup. Last time during the University week, she looked different with her makeup and costume.

 

I suddenly felt something weird at the pit of my stomach. I immediately closed the tab and went back to playing my game.

 

I don’t like this feeling at all.

 

I was playing for what seemed like hours now when my phone rang.

 

It’s an unknown number.

 

“Hello?”

[It’s me.]

“Ah, Bellona. What’s up?”

[Are you coming on the third? Our class will have a small reunion.]

“What time?”

[Lunch time. They’re thinking we’ll have it at your family’s diner.]

“Okay. I’ll tell my dad.”

[See you...]

 

I hung up. Hah... I have nothing else to do. Going out sometime before winter break ends will be a good thing. My old classmates are really something. They even had to make Bellona invite me.

 

The days passed uneventfully. It was finally the third of January.

 

I was already standing by the door when I received an MMS from Arin. I downloaded it. It’s a New Year card.

 

This is her first ever email since winter break started.

 

I greeted her and thanked her as a reply. Then I was now on my way.

 

My dad was busy cooking in the kitchen alongside my mom. They really love cooking so much that they set up this diner when they settled down.

 

I sat with my old classmates. After some noisy greeting, they made me sit between Johani and Bellona.

 

Talk about a little awkward...

 

We started asking about each other, asking how everyone was doing and all that stuff you do at reunions.

 

Then, my dad’s helpers served us some house special ramen.

 

We were eating peacefully when one of my old classmates began, “Hey, Bellona.”

 

“Yeah?” Bellona barely spoke clearly since she was chewing noodles.

 

“How’s it going between you two?” He was pointing his fork from her then to me and back and forth while making a really funny face.

 

It suddenly became awkward when they became so quiet.

 

He felt the heavy atmosphere. “What’s with you guys? This mood feels awkward.”

 

The girl sitting next to her elbowed him on the side. Then he there was confusion in his face.

 

I continued eating, but I could feel everyone’s eyes on me.

 

“Oh, you didn’t know?” Bellona finally spoke. “We broke up.”

 

“Ahh...” he nodded awkwardly.

 

Bellona laughed. “It was at the heat of the moment that I broke up with him.”

 

“Eh? Really?!” One of our classmates piped up.

 

“Yeah, I kinda regretted it though.” She said. “Hey,” She elbowed me. “What do you think?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Do you want to get back together?” She asked.

 

I looked at her. Her face was all smiles but I know how chaotic she’s feeling inside. What is she trying to do.

 

I tried to plaster a smile on my face as I answered, “Nah,”

 

She could just shut up, you know. She didn’t have to joke about it. Even if it was really just joke, it felt really awkward.

 

Everyone changed the topic all of a sudden when one of the other girls talked about joining a pageant.

 

After lunch, they decided that we take a stroll near the river that was just outside the subdivision.

 

We walked as one large noisy group. Then we took pictures and selfies with each other. They even insisted that Bellona and I have a picture taken together. It was annoying really.

 

Why is everyone making a fuss about us?

 

While everyone was fooling around, I went to the railings by the platform that overlooked the river. I wonder how the others are spending winter break.

 

It was a nice view. The sound of flowing water mixed with the whistling of the wind and the laughter of my friends. It was relaxing. Although the sky is a little cloudy since it’s still early January. It was great to be outdoors at least once in a while.

 

Johani then walked up and stood next to me.

 

“You’re being distant.” She said. “Why aren’t you joining the fun?”

 

We looked at everyone who were taking pictures and doing dares Then, I looked back at the view.

 

“I just want to enjoy this view for a bit.” I told her.

 

“Bellona told me everything after your break up.” She began. “You know she actually regret it.”

 

“I know. But right now, I’m tired.” I told her. Strangely, Arin’s face came into my mind.

 

“I see.” She said. “Would you listen to me for a bit?”

 

“Sure.”

 

“I like you...” she said.

 

Her words echoed through the breeze.

 

[snip]