One Pill Makes You....

Drowsy Science

Warnings - Character death!

The small white rat seemed to sense that something was afoot, he escaped his cage the moment that Lu Han fell under the spell of the machine. At times Minseok wondered if he would ever meet a person as perceptive as Baekhyun.

“Baekhyun, what have you done!” Yixing shouted after the rat, frowning at the mess the rat made when he knocked over a cup of tea in his bid for escape. It would fall to the servant to clean it up.

“Yixing, the medication, please.” Minseok directed his servant’s attention away from the mess.

“Yes, sir.” Yixing gave the spill one last frown before walking to Minseok.

Minseok glanced to where Junmyeon stood near one of the work tables. His uncle was watching him with a curious expression but remained mum, not daring to ask what his plans were.

Yixing produced a small handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to his master. Minseok took the offering, carefully opening the cloth to reveal a small pill. It was useful to have such a thing around in instances like this, when you needed to dispose of someone posthaste without a mess.

Minseok approached the machine. Lu Han’s mind was gone to ten years prior, only his body remaining. With each step Minseok’s resolve grew. He had to do this, for a multitude of reasons.

He had found himself relying on Lu Han a little too much. There were strange feelings between them, feelings Minseok didn’t like. And of course, there was Junmyeon, instructing Lu Han to stop the machine from ever being built. No matter what his uncle said, Minseok had a hard time believing his precious machine started the mess. He placated Junmyeon by using his calibrations, but that would be temporary. It was time to destroy the greatest threat.

Lu Han’s mouth was slightly open, his breathing deep. It was far too easy for Minseok to break open the capsule and pour the contents into the man’s mouth. It was far too easy to take a step back and watch his complexion slowly change from one of warmth, of life, to the pallor of death. Minseok watched Lu Han’s breathing slow until his chest no longer moved up and down.  

The ballroom was eerily silent during the process, Junmyeon not uttering a word. Once Lu Han was pale and no longer breathing Minseok approached him and felt for signs of life. Nothing. He was deceased. Oddly enough, Minseok considered, he didn’t feel guilty or remorseful. Whatever strange bond had formed between them was weak for the only emotion that plagued him was relief.

Should he have felt more? Yes, he had heard Lu Han was a key to lifting the curse, but then again hadn’t he heard that about others here and there? Time was a fickle thing, always changing. And no matter how much Lu Han seemed to fit into the crazy scheme, the desperate plans of Minseok, the fact remained -- he had become a liability. He was ready to stop the machine.

“You certainly love your machine, old boy,” Junmyeon muttered from across the room.

Minseok glanced at him. “After much thought, uncle, I don’t believe your theory one bit. And there are others like him.” Minseok gestured towards Lu Han’s corpse. “He isn’t the first who failed.” Minseok turned to Yixing. “Please dispose of him.”

“Yes, sir,” Yixing dutifully answered. Minseok helped to disconnect Lu Han’s lifeless body from the machine before his servant carried off the limp body, rigor mortis yet to set in.

“How about a drink old boy?” Junmyeon meandered towards his nephew. “I haven’t been in the wine cellar for...a long time.”

Minseok considered the offer. “I think I would like that very much.”



 

“I’m telling you, it was that macchhhhine that sssstarted it,” Junmyeon slurred his words, tongue thick from too much wine.

“I don’t believe you,” Minseok hiccupped. “You’ve always made trouble, why would you tell the truth now.”

The family members were seated in the dining room, the long table displaying a scattering of half empty, completely empty, and a few full wine bottles. They were both well into their cups.

“It’s true. You just won’t believe me because you like that thing.” Junmyeon whirled his hand towards the general direction of the ballroom and the machine. “But what do I care, I’m back. The other poor sods are the ones in trouble, not me. Not anymore.” He grabbed his wine glass and held it high. “I’m living how I should.”

Minseok smirked at the hazy image of his uncle, his eyes unfocused from the wine. “I don’t want you living here.”

“It’s my family home too!” Junmyeon protested, wine sloshing onto the table.

“Wassss,” Minseok corrected him.

Junmyeon snorted and leaned back in his chair. Folding his arms against his chest he gave Minseok an injured look. “If only you knew the truth.”

“You never tell the truth,” Minseok countered. He reached for a wine bottle but his balance was off. He ended up banging his hand onto the table, a dull thud accompanied by a sharp pain. He grabbed his hand, holding it up as it began to throb.

“Minseok, I’m being serious.” Junmyeon almost sounded sober, it got Minseok’s attention. He observed his uncle, curious about this truth.

“What?”

“Minseok….” Junmyeon’s expression turned emotional, tears glimmered in his eyes. “I am your father.”

Minseok stilled. “No. No! That’s not true! That’s impossible!” It was nonsense. His father was Junmyeon’s cousin (the title of uncle was loosely used in the Kim family).

“Search your feelings, Minseok, you know it is true.” Junmyeon swallowed, quickly sobering. “Your mother and I... we...your father never knew who it was but he knew you weren’t his.”

Minseok felt like crying. Junmyeon was his father?! How could this be reality? “Nooooo!”

“Minseok, it’s true. Where else would you get your sense of humor from?! Prodigal tree? Remember? That is something I would say.” Junmyeon pursed his lips, his eyes hopeful. “I wanted to tell you before but our paths never crossed again until now. Lies, so many lies in this family and hidden truths. Minseok, together we can rule this family as father and son, right all the wrongs, see it flourish again.”

“Who else knows?” Minseok sat up straight, mind reeling, trying to figure out how it all fit in and what to do about it if it was true.

“No one. Only your mother and I,” Junmyeon promised. “Minseok, we would make a great team.”

Minseok frowned at the suggestion. Life was never easy, no matter how many bodies Yixing dragged away under the cover of night. How positively frustrating.