Chapter 3

Wet Paint

 

“Seriously Kibum, how long as it been?” I sighed for the umpteenth time since this conversation started.

“I don’t know Dara, it just happened okay? I didn’t just decide one day to like him. It’s not like I woke up one day and said ‘you know what? Life’s boring I’m going to fall in love with my best guy friend just for the ing hell of it’.” I looked over at her, my expression bored. She put on a thoughtful expression.

“Maybe you did, but you just forgot?” I sighed – again.

“No Dara, I didn’t forget, because I didn’t actually do that. Sarcasm girl, learn it.” She giggled and bent down to get more paint on her brush. Once she straightened she had a serious look in her eyes. Maybe determined is a better word.

“Are you sure you like him? Like one hundred percent?” I looked away from her, blush tinting my cheeks. I fumbled to find words, so I bent down to get more paint even though I haven’t even used the brush since the last time I did that.

“Yes  Dara…” I straighten again and started to paint with a passion, like it was the most entertaining thing in the world. I sighed and looked over to see her staring intently at me, waiting for more.

“Yes Dara, I’m one hundred percent sure I like him. I’m pretty sure not even two minutes ago I said I was in love with him. It’s the truth; I’m seriously in love with him. I love Kim Jonghyun. Wow that felt good to say out loud.” My words had faded until the last sentence. It was the first time I’d actually said that I loved him out loud – hearing it made it that much more true, made the feeling that much stronger.

“How do you know?” I looked over at her again, she was painting aimlessly at the wall in front of her, but I could tell she was concentrating and calculating every word I said. I didn’t answer right away; I focused on painting for a little while as I gathered my thoughts.

“Because, whenever he looks at me my heart jumps, I keep hoping he looks at me with a hidden meaning, like I do to him. Because, when I’m around him I can’t help but smile, even if I’m mad at him, I can’t stay mad for more than a few minutes – and you know what I’m like when I’m mad,” she cracked a small smile, and I grinned as I had gained a ‘good one’ point, “When I’m see him, I get all these thoughts flooding into my head, all of them about him. I cling to the moments I can spend with him…” I trailed off bending down to get more paint once again.

“But now,” I said with heavy sigh, “it’s become more of a chore to be around him. My feeling are frustrating me to the point where I can’t be around him because it bugs me so much that he doesn’t love me back. Now anything he says I just want to snap at him. ‘Why can’t you love me like I love you?’ is what I keep wanting to ask every time he looks at me for a second to long, or holds my hand for no reason, or give me a hug when others are around.” She’d been quiet for awhile now, I looked over to make sure I hadn’t lost her somewhere in my ramble. She was looking at me with thoughtful eyes.

“Awh, Kibum’s in love!” she squeeled. I raised an eyebrow at her.

“No ,” she smiled innocently at me.

“Too bad Jjong’s one of those really dense s who will probably never notice how you feel – or how he secretly feels.” I looked at her with my mouth hanging open.

“What do you mean ‘how he secretly feels’?”

“It’s obvious he’s actually in love with you too, he just won’t admit it to himself.” She said nonchalantly. I gaped.

“You’re an , you know that?” I took my brush and [painted a nice pink mark down the side of her face. She turned to me, look of total shock written her face.

“You did not just do that.” I smiled.

“Oh, but I did.” She glared at me with a flaming fury. She quickly swung her paintbrush at me, painting a line from my jaw to my chest. I stepped back and looked down at the damage.

“I’m going to kill you.” I said looking up at her smirking face.

“Bring it.” She stuck her tongue out at me and ran out the door. I dunked my brush into the paint can one last time and bolted after her.

“Get your back here!” I screamed, catching up to her quickly. I latched onto her and put her in a bear hug, mercilessly painting up and down her side from her face to waist.

“Oh my god, Kibum, stop! The paint isn’t going to come out! Oh my ing god!” she wailed and wiggled trying to get out of my hold. I laughed.

“Should’ve thought of that before.” Before long we were laughing and painting each other all other the place. Eventually we stumbled into the living room. Dara took a step backwards as I flicked paint at her face. She slipped and ended up hitting my legs as she went down. Sure enough I ended up on the floor too.

“What are you two doing!?” I looked up to see Jjong and Taemin standing above us.

“Oh, nothing. We got bored with the walls, and I thought Dara would look just amazing in sugar-puff-pink.” I smiled shamelessly up at them.

“I think it suits you more than Sandara.” Taemin said out of the corner of his mouth.

“I heard that you little runt!” Dara leaped up to her feet and chased Taemin out of the room, paint brush held out in front of her. I looked up at Jjong, and he just stared at me. I felt my cheeks start to heat up.

“Here, give me your hand.”