Chapter 2

Wet Paint

 

 

“Oh my god!” I nodded vigorously with a huge smile on my face, Dara burst out laughing. “Right in the middle of the store?!” I nodded again and laughed with her.

            “Yeah, and they get mad at me when I almost slip up. I mean, it’s not my fault, I always have to cover for them.” I sighed slightly and focused on opening my paint can again.

“Oh! Screw it!” I looked up and saw her shove her paint can over and throw the prier-thing behind her. “It’s not working!” I chuckled and patted her head.

“Calm down.” She huffed under her breath and crossed her arms like a little kid. I looked back down at my own paint can – it wasn’t going to well for me either.

“Maybe we should go get Minho?” I looked up at her and nodded.

“Good idea.” I started to get up, but she had a ‘better’ idea.

“MINHO!!!!” she screamed. I fell back down on my and glared at her.

“What that really necessary?” she smiled and nodded.

“I’m way too lazy to get up.” A comfortable silence fell over us as we waited for Minho to make his way to my bathroom. It was about thirty seconds before Dara spoke up.

“Hmm, they’re lucky.” I tilted my head questioningly at her.

“Who is?”

“Taemin and Jinki. Think about it, they’ve got someone to call their own. Know what I mean?” I nodded stiffly at her. She’s right.

“And then there’s you. The ‘I’ll just admire from afar’ type.” I scoffed.

“Yeah, like you have room to talk!” she rolled her eyes.

“I’m happy being single. I’m comfortable with it.” I returned the eye roll.

“Yeah, yeah I know.” Just then Minho walked in, leaning onto the sink-counter.

“What?” I smiled at him.

“Can you open our paint cans please?” I rounded my voice to sound like a whinny kid. Dara giggled, but Minho just gave me an incredulous look but bent down to get the prier-thing Dara had thrown. I rolled my paint can towards him; he sighed and picked it up placing it on the sink counter. He spun it around a few times before jamming the prier into the side and effortlessly popping the lid off. It landed paint-covered-side down onto the countertop. My expression fell.

“You’re cleaning that up.” He looked back at dismally and sighed again.

“Yeah, I know.” Dara smiled and lifted her paint can up above her head.

“Here! This one too!” Minho took it from her and repeated his actions. He gave the paint can back to Dara, which she took with a big-child-like grin on her face.

“Epic color bro!” she looked at me and gave me a thumbs-up.

“Thanks. Not that I had any help picking it.” I winked at her and she bit her lip to keep from laughing. Minho looked back and forth between us, obviously confused. I waved my hand in front of my face.

“It’s nothing, don’t ask.” He sighed again and turned to leave. That’s when I noticed someone was blocking the doorway. I leaned to my right to see around Minho. There in the doorway was Jonghyun with some dumb- smirk on his face. He moved slighting to his left to let Minho through and then proceeded to enter the bathroom.

“Having fun?” he asked. He’s mocking me I swear.

“Yes, actually. I’ve needed some girl time.” I said getting up and smoothing out my pants.

“You’re not a girl Kibum.” I glowered at him. Close enough. “And how is sitting in a bathroom ‘girl time?” he continued. Dara stood up as well and looped her arm through mine.

“Where do you think we do our nails and make-up?! Besides, anytime is girl-time when you’re with your friends.” She said cheerily. I gave Jonghyun a triumphant smile to which he replied to with a confused glare.

“You make no sense.” My expression changed to one of annoyance.

“What do you want?” he chuckled but didn’t reply. I moved away from Dara to grab the paint can that was still on the counter. I practically had to shove Jjong out of the way; I bumped him with my and he fell backward a step, I turned around – paint can in hand – and smiled innocently at him and walked back to where Dara was getting brushes out of their packets.

“Why are you going through all this trouble just for a bath room?” I looked back over at him with a knowing smile.

“They say you spend three years in here, might as well make it worth your time.” I winked at him, “Right?” he looked around the room.

“Better get cracking, you might extend that to four years if you don’t hurry up.” Dara scoffed as she ripped off a wrapper and looked up at him.

“As if.”

“Better hurry up.” Was all he said, I looked at him and he winked at me. I blushed slightly despite myself and turned away.

“Come on! Let’s do this!”