Kibum

Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You?

The next morning my parents where nowhere to be found so I found a bowl, spoon and a jug of milk in the fridge. As I sat at the table and ate my cereal, I heard the door open but I ignored it and continued to eat my honey nut cheerios. Then I heard my mom call my name and I walked to the front door where my parents where standing.

Standing on our front porch was a couple about my parents age and two boys one must have been my age and the other was about ten years old. In the woman‘s hands was a while glass container. The man had something wrapped in a towel the two boys where just standing there like they didn’t know what to do.

"Hello we are your neighbors from a few houses down. We are the Kim family. This is my husband and our two sons Hyung Joon and Kibum. Kibum is six years old about same age as your little girl.” Mrs. Kim smiled as she talked handing the container to my mom who took it graciously Mr. Kim handed the towel to my father who looked baffled at the towel until he unfolded it reveling a loaf of bread.

“My wife makes the best homemade bread and kimchi.” Mr. Kim said proudly and my parents unaware what kimchi was just forced a smile.

"Oh uh thank you very much for the uh kimchi.” My mom said as she started to walk into the house with the container. My dad followed my mom but not before turning to me.

"Rachel why don’t you introduce yourself to the Kim family while me and you mom find somewhere to put the kimchi and the bread?” My dad said as he walked in Mr. and Mrs. Kim followed him saying something about the proper way to store kimchi.

That left me standing there with the boys who looked just as confused as I felt. At the age of five boys held no interest for me. I was still convinced they had cooties. Until the older one stepped forward and looked at me and smiled.

"I’m Hyung Joon and I’m ten years old and this is my little brother Kibum. You’ll be going to Roman Elementary School right? Don’t worry me and Kibum will be good Oppas and make sure no one teases you.” Hyung Joon leaned to le a little bit and continued to smile as he took my hand and led me inside.

"What’s an Oppa?” I asked as Hyung Joon asked me to take them to my room.

"Oppa is something girls call older boys in Korea!” Hyung Joon explained to me as I showed them up the steps to my attic bedroom. Both boys looked around appreciatively at my room and Kibum sat on the bed. Hyung Joon let go of my hand and looked around my room.

"Hyung what are you doing?” Kibum asked still sitting on my bed clearly to his liking.

"Hyung is making sure it’s a good enough room for my new dongseang!” Hyung Joon said happily, as he looked though my drawers and peeked into some boxes.

"Dongseang?” I asked Kibum as I to sat on my bed. Kibum looked at me and smiled and placed his hand on top of mine.

"It means younger sibling in Korean.” He explained to me but that confused me even more. Hyung Joon and Kibum weren’t my brothers!

"But I’m not your sister.” I said which made my guest laugh at me!

"Dongseang is something you call a sibling or some on you are close to that is younger!” Hyung Joon said to me as he pulled out three of my favorite dolls.

"What are you doing with Molly, Amy and Lola?” I asked frightened that he might hurt them.

What could he have possibly done to your dolls?

I don’t know I was six years old. My dolls where my life.

I wonder what happened to them.

There in a box somewhere in the attic at my parent’s house.’

“I thought we could play with them together?” Hyung Joon said as he placed the tree dolls on my carpet. This was strange to me as TV taught me boys hated younger girls and playing dolls was the worst form of torture.

“But boys don’t like dolls.” I said picking up Amy and holding her close.

“But if it’s for a precious younger sister! Oppa will play along!” Hyung Joon said as he picked up the remaining two dolls and handed Lola to Kibum and kept Molly for himself.

“Why do you keep calling me your sister?” I asked Hyung Joon confused

“Because I know theses things. We are going to get to know each other a lot better in the future. And you’ll be my sister!” He said holding the doll in front of his face and he let out a small laugh to show me his pleasure.