In The Backseat

Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You?

The back seat of the car was hot. The air conditioning only cooled the front part of the car where my parents were sitting. Leaving me to roll down the window and let the hot air cool me down. Every so often one of my parents would look behind at me and say something along the lines of how I am going to love it when we get there and occasionally to put my window up I was letting the cold air out. In addition, I would protest saying it was hot in the backseat. My dad would then reply that of course it was I was letting all the cool air out.

I had previously lived somewhere in the middle of nowhere that was until about two days before. My year of Kindergarten had ended about one week ago and my parents thought it the ideal time to move across the country. I would have three months to meet kids my age make friends get to know the area. Leaving my old town didn’t really phase me that much as I had no real friends to cry over leaving. My closest friends were Emily Elizabeth and Clifford her big red dog. I didn’t think that would change anytime soon.

My parents decided we where to move to a small town not far from the ocean. And they said I was aloud to ride my bike there whenever I wanted as long as I told them when I was going. Before long, I fell asleep and slept the rest of the way there. My parents woke me up and took me upstairs to the attic.

It was a great deal larger than my old room with a large window facing the backyard and a circle shaped sun light on the roof. There was a chest of drawers on one end of the room. And on the other side was a bed mine I guessed. It was a full sized bed with white sheets and gypsy pattern quilt and four pillows. The floor was wood and it had a soft flower patterned rug in the middle. Scattered around the room where different boxes of my things with some boxes piled on top of each other.

“Well how do you like it sweetie?” my mom asked as she placed her hands on my shoulders my only response was a nod as I walked to my bed and sat down. My parents smiled and walked out of my room leaving me to find my overly large nightshirt and spend the first night in my new room.