Chapter 9

I Spy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara had wonderful timing.

 

Jisoo admired the older woman who oversaw day-to-day operations at Incra. She was everything Jisoo wanted to be when she was well-established in her career, except she envisioned herself being slightly less cold and more personable than Dara. Perhaps being under than much pressure in your job changed you to become a hard shell of your previous self. Whatever it was, Jisoo had a lot of sympathy for her boss’s boss.

 

However, she did not appreciate her quite as much this afternoon. As soon as Jisoo opened her inbox, she had one new email from Dara that was sent to her, Teddy, and the seven new male agents. The message was straight to the point. They were going to have an preliminary meeting about a potential mission that would be spearheaded by Kim Namjoon.

 

She had been anticipating this since she sparred with Taehyung. Deep down she was excited to finally be privy to the hushed nature of their arrival at Incra. Jisoo technically still a rookie, but maybe this meant she could start to work on world-class missions.

 

But it had been less than 24 hours since she dealt with Jinyoung. Jisoo still felt numb on the inside. Rose, Lisa, and Jennie had done a good job of being by her side constantly at Myungwol to distract her, but they couldn’t shield her from reality.

 

She glanced at her phone. Jinyoung had called her 7 times today and left her 14 text messages. Jisoo decided to block his number. His attempt at making excuses made her feel worse. It was better not to see any form of him at all.

 

The clock indicated that she only had 5 minutes to gather herself before the meeting started. There was no use in waiting.

 

Teddy was busy on his laptop when she silently took the seat next to him. “Jisoo, I know the email from Dara was sudden but—“

 

He gave Jisoo a once-over. Her hair was disheveled, her eyes were puffy, and she was dressed head to toe in black. The wooly turtleneck and slacks were not Jisoo’s style. She preferred to dress on the casual side at work.

 

“How is everything today?” Teddy was testing the waters.

 

She gave him a weak smile. “Great.” Jisoo pulled out her own laptop and started typing diligently.

 

Teddy gulped. Her life outside of work wasn’t any of his business, he decided.

 

Dara cleared to get everyone’s attention. “Thank you for coming today on such short notice. I promise this meeting was needed.”

 

Jisoo glanced up from her laptop to look around. She knew that the boys had noticed her appearance. She didn’t care too much, except they would probably try hard to cheer her up. Jisoo did find their efforts to be her friend amusing. As Jungkook and Lisa were dating secretly at this point, they probably felt a bit obligated too.

 

Namjoon took over. “I’ll be leading this meeting. Thank you for having us today, Dara.” Jisoo was grateful. Namjoon was easy on the ears. He had a gentle voice and his charisma made her situation bearable.

 

“As the self-pronounced BTS that has operated alone for the past two years, the seven of us recently made a decision to work under Incra. It is well-known that Incra is the most powerful spy organization based out of South Korea, comparable to level of espionage excellence seen in the States. As a member of a group that has worked mainly in America, I can easily say that I am impressed and motivated by the commitment demonstrated by the agents here.” Namjoon then turned to Jisoo and flashed her a big smile.

 

“Kim Jisoo, by far, has made the biggest impression on me. I’m sure our colleagues would have to agree with me.” Jisoo’s puffy eyes widened. Nods ensued around the room. She glanced at Taehyung. He still hadn’t made eye contact with her.

 

“Dara was reluctant to bring you in on this mission, but Taehyung pushed to have you be included.” Namjoon couldn’t help but add, leading to snickers from the boys’ side. Jisoo might have been imagining it, but she swore the tips of his ears turned pink.

 

Taehyung cleared his throat and quickly changed topics. “That is correct. Namjoon, would you like to brief us on the details?”

 

“Recently, trafficking has been on the rise in South Korea. Within this past year, trafficking incidents have risen by 10%. This is cause for concern, as this has been believed to be instigated by international crime syndicates. However, Yoongi has been looking into this and we have reason to think it’s actually something different all together.”

 

“Basically, a highly elusive gang is working with corporation executives to have their business run smoothly without in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter