The guy with a dimple

Why Can't I?

It all started when Hyo was woken up at some ungodly hour (6:15am).

"Hello?" She rasped out. It was far too early for her brain to even formulate a sassy reply. 

"Hey get up, I'll meet you out front in 15 minutes."

"What? Why?" She barely registered that it was Sooyoung on the phone, but not much else.

"Oh and wear your sports uniform."

Dial tone.

Hyo groaned, still frustrated at being woken up before her alarm. She lay there for a good 5 minutes wanting to spite Sooyoung and her unreasonable demands and yet after 5 minutes she was more wide awake than ever.

"Damn it!!!" She raged, shoving off her blankets and stomping to the bathroom to get ready.

Her mother raised an eyebrow when she saw her coming down the stairs another 7 minutes later, "This is rare, what happened?"

Hyoyeon growled, "bad choice of best friends," grabbing a piece of toast from the table and chugging down a glass of orange juice, "I'm leaving."

The sun had barely started to rise when she stepped out of the house and she saw both Sooyoung and Chanyeol waiting for her.

"Let's go!" Sooyoung said, not even greeting her good morning.

"I'm going to kill her," Hyo muttered, only realising that Chanyeol heard her when he stifled a laugh.

"Please forgive my noona, she can be kind of selfish but she means well."

It was Chanyeol who proceeded to explain that in addition to his sister being called in to fill in for the women's team, yet another player was injured yesterday and with the practise match against Namwon Girls High School in a week's time (coincidentally Sejong's sister school and where those fangirls on the subway were from) they needed another fill in.

Hyo didn't have the long legs of the Park siblings, but she did have the athleticism. She always placed strongly at the sports carnival races and was at least a little bit more physically active than Jessica and Taeyeon (and Seohyun but she would've been out of the question anyway because of her cram school). 

"Why do I need to practice if I'm just filling in on the day?" Hyo asked.

"Because I've seen you shoot at arcade games - you need help. Even Jessica beats you."

Hyo gritted her teeth, "that was ONE time and I only had two balls."

"Well this time you only have one," Sooyoung said dismissively, pushing her onto the train carriage that would take them to school.

 

+++

 

Hyo hated those athletes who somehow finished training looking amazing. How dared they!!? Even after a shower to fix the rats' tail that became her hair after 45 mins of basketball drills, she still felt sluggish and crap.

And her muscles were starting to ache.

"Yo Hyo, why're you walking like a grandma?" Taeyeon draped an arm over her cheerfully.

"If you don't take that arm off me, I'm going to kill you."

Apparently today, a lot of death threats were required to be made.

Tae locked her arm around her instead, "Awww sunshine, lighten up!!!"

Hyo begrudgingly leant into Tae's hold, feeling comforted, "I will if you buy me banana milk..."

"Kim Hyoyeon!"

Both girls turned around and found Lay, or Mr Zhang, as he now required to be called, coming towards them with a box of banana milk in his hands.

His famous right-cheek simple was in fine form today, "a thank you gift for filling in today and making my first week as club supervisor not a complete fail!"

Hyo pumped her fist, "Woo hoo! Thanks sunbae- I mean whoops, 'Teach'!"

She gladly took it off his hands and quickly pierced the top with the straw before he could even speak again.

Lay was an assistant teacher at their school while doing his second year of an education degree. He was also their sunbae, two years older, who was a well-loved and kind senior during their first year. 

When he'd arrived at the school two months ago, all the first and second year girls went crazy over him having never seen him before- while third years re-lived their crushes.

"Wow Mr Zhang, you're the new basketball club supervisor?!" Tae teased.

Lay narrowed his eyes at her, "I told you this last Saturday."

Tae grinned, the widest that Hyo had seen her smile since her break-up. Lay was Tae's close family friend and their affluent families socialised in the same circles and often went on holidays together. 

Hyo wondered if Lay was not a factor in Tae and Baekhyun's break up....

"You guys are close huh?" Hyo commented as Lay walked off to go to his homeroom.

Tae smacked Hyo on her back, which she just realised was still aching, "Shut up."

 

+++

A/N: I was unsure about what to do with Lay, I wanted him to be older but I screwed up when I made the girls 3rd years but luckily he fits quite well with a student teacher image!!