The guy who grew up

Why Can't I?

Despite what he said the night before, Kyungsoo was long gone according to his mum by the time Hyo had knocked on his door.

"Hang out, my ," she muttered. 

She'd told the girls not to wait for her at the station because she had other plans and now she'd have to go alone. 

"Maybe they haven't left yet," she thought hopefully, but upon checking the time on her phone not only did she realise she was too late to catch them - she herself would be late to class too if she didn't run.

"Damn it!" She said, hating the sweaty feeling that she'd have to live with for the rest of the day.

She got the fright of her life when she went around a corner and another person was running in her direction. 

"Yeol-ah!!" 

"Hyo-Noona!!" They yelled at the same time.

The funny thing was that they both didn't stop running. They exchanged a determined look and Hyo just managed to keep pace with ultra-fit Chanyeol.

She was lagging a bit though, as in most cases, so close to the finished line and if it wasn't for Chanyeol suddenly grabbing her hand and dragging her the last few metres to the closing train doors she would've given up.

As the doors sounded shut behind them they both had hands on their knees, trying to catch their breaths.

Obviously Chanyeol, a second year member of the basketball team got his back first.

"I really hate it when there isn't morning practice. I can't time my departure time right!" He complained.

"I'm surpised Sooyoung-ah didn't wake you up and walk you to school!"

"She had morning practice", and Hyo nodded as if she suddenly understood - that explained everything.

That girl probably grumbled the whole way to school about how she wouldn't be able to walk to school with her beloved little brother and would probably still be sulking about it when they would meet up at homeroom. Sooyoung was the manager of the boys' basketball team but recently was roped into substituting in the girls' team because of a run of bad injuries.

With her tall height and her familiarity with the sport she was an obvious choice and the girls were smart - they went through the beloved little brother to get Soo to say 'yes'.

"You got a day off though - how rare!" Hyo commented.

"Yeah, it's taper week. We have 10 days until our big match against Sejong."

"Oh!" Now that she was more aware of the two boys from the basketball team there, it's funny how such normal news suddenly sounded interesting, "will you be on the starting team?"

Chanyeol scoffed, looking both adorable and arrogant at the same time, "of course, Noona! I was number one in assists and number one in jump ball conversions in the last game."

Hyo smiled and nodded. She had no idea what any of that meant.

She had been friends with Soo-yah since the first year of middle school (just before her family relocated to China) so she still remembered Yeol-ah from when he was still a snot-nosed chubby little sixth grader. It was amazing to see him so lithe and tall, every bit an impressive star athlete. She still couldn't believe it some days.

The train lurched and Hyoyeon lurched along with it and Chanyeol caught her around the waist with one of his strong arms. 

"Whoops, sorry! Thanks Yeol-ah!" She said, righting herself and making sure to hang onto the overhead handle bars a bit better.

"That's ok," he muttered.

She completely missed how red Chanyeol had become from this whole escapade. And how he touched said strong arm as though he was thinking of not washing it for awhile...

 

+++

A/N: we are slowly making our way through meeting all the guys of Exo. Have you developed a favourite yet??