Blood

Flawless

 

It was my back to school since I was discharged from the hospital, and my last day home with dad. A bundle of emotions were squirming at the pit of my stomach as I hopped off the bus. I didn’t know whether to feel nervous, sad, excited, scared, or just plain tired. It was too much.

Shaking my head, I nodded curtly. Today was just another day. Another day of studying.

“Jangmi Noona!” Sanha shouted, causing me to jump.

Looking up, I watched, open mouthed, at Sanha waving from one of the open school windows above.

“Congratulations!” he continued to shout, and soon there was a small crowd of curious students watching us.

I shook my head, confused.

“On getting a boyfriend!” he shouted even louder, noticing my confusion, “If Eunwoo Hyung hurts you, I’ll beat him up-”

My face burned red as the whispers started. Keeping my head low, I hurried inside despite the stares.

“No way… is she really dating Eunwoo Oppa?”

“Her?”

“She’s so small…”

“She never talks.”

“How did that happen?”

“Maybe she’s rich…”

“You think she bribed him?”

“Isn’t Eunwoo Oppa rich too though?”

“That’s true…”

“Wow…”

I collapsed into my seat and covered my face with my arms. This was a disaster.

“Jangmi-ah,” Rocky’s voice called softly beside me.

Turning to look at him, I frowned, “What?”

“Is it true?” he leaned forward, “Are you really dating Eunwoo Hyung?”

I looked away. Great. Just great.

 

It’s was finally lunch time, and almost everyone had evacuated the classroom. Sighing, I dug my lunch out of my bag. Maybe I should just eat on the roof today… that would be quieter…

“Yah,” a voice snapped at me.

Looking up, I noticed a group of girls formed around my desk, “Y-yes?” I’m shaking. Why am I shaking?

“You’re really too much,” the head girl scoffed, looking me over, “We let it slide that you’re hanging around Astro, but dating them crosses the line.” She took a step forward, “Who do you think you are?! The deserve someone better. Someone prettier. You’re just some tiny pest that could be taken out with a single blow.”

I looked down. Was I really just that..? “I-I’m sorry…” I spoke quietly.

“Tch…” the girl scoffed, “This girl… seriously…” Suddenly, she poured a bucket of red paint on top of me. And all I did was sit there. “This … stay away from Astro or-”

“Or what?” a cold voice spoke up.

Turning around, I met Eunwoo’s eyes- yet, they were completely different from the ones I had known. His eyes had turned steely cold, and just from his gaze, it felt as if the warmth in the air had turned to ice.

“O-Oppa-” the girl began, but Eunwoo cut her off.

“Who gave you the right to decide what Astro does or not?” he strode forward to my side.

“B-but- We’re your fan club!” the girl retorted.

“We don’t need fans like you,” Eunwoo said coldly, then grabbed my wrist, “The only fan we need is her.”

“But-”

“She’s my girlfriend. If you mess with her, you’re messing with me. Then you’ll have all of Astro to deal with.” Helping me out of my seat, he herded me to the door, “Are you okay?” his voice softened.

I nodded slowly, “Y-yeah… I’m fine-”

“Don’t lie,” he flicked my forehead, “I can see your tears.”

I looked away. Great. Now I was a complete mess. Clearing my throat, I spoke quietly, “Um… where are we going?”

“To my house.”

“What?”

“You didn’t bring a change of clothes, right?” he stared at me.

“N-no…”

“Then we’re going home. All of your stuff is there anyway, and you can get washed up.”

I looked down. If I didn’t have red paint coating me from head to toe, my face would have been beet red.

“Eh?? Jangmi Noona?” Sanha appeared along with the rest of Astro.

“Jangmi-ah,” Rocky frowned, rushing to my side, “What happened?”

“Who did this?” Moonbin looked like he was about to murder someone.

“I’ll beat them up!” MJ exclaimed.

“Do you need me to report it to the principle?” Jinjin pursed his lips.

I shook my head, “I’m fine-”

“No you’re not,” Eunwoo cut me off again, “Our fanclub got out of hand again.”

“Aish…” Moonbin ran a hand through his hair, “If they weren’t our fans I’d-”

“Are you taking Jangmi-ah home?” Jinjin took out a napkin and began wiping my face.

Eunwoo nodded.

“Yay!” Sanha cheered, “We’re skipping school-”

“Shut up,” Moonbin rolled his eyes, “It’s ‘we’ as in Eunwoo and Jangmi. Not you, idiot.”

 

When Eunwoo said that I could stay in his home, I didn’t think he meant the top penthouse in all of Seoul. My eyes widened at the size, and it almost seemed… ghostly. How could anyone have this much money?!

“Um…” Eunwoo scratched the back of his neck nervously, “I can show you to your room…”

I nodded mutely, taking in my surroundings in a daze. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a place this big and nice…

“Here you go,” he held open the door to a large room that could have fit half of my house in there.

“T-this is my room?” I stuttered.

“Do you not like it? I can get you another one that’s bigger-”

I shook my head, “N-no! I like it a lot… it’s just… I feel like I’ll get lonely with so much empty space…” my voice had died down to nothing, and how he managed to catch my last few words, I will never know.

“Don’t worry. I’ll keep you company,” smiling, he pointed to the bathroom connected to my room, “You can get washed up in there, and your suitcases are in the closet.”

I nodded slowly, watching him leave. I had almost forgotten I was still covered in red paint. Sighing, I shuffled into the bathroom and peeled off my ruined school uniform. “Aish…” I stared at the stained fabric in disdain, “I’m going to have to work double time to get a replacement…” Running my fingers through my hair, I turned the knob of the shower and stepped inside. I watched all the red paint flow off me down the drain, and it was almost frightening to see how close it resembled blood. Maybe that was the point… to remind me, that even the strongest cannot survive without it… how easily it is to be spilt...