Cheer Up

Flawless

 

I don’t know how it came to this. In less than twenty four hours, the girl that was once invisible was now a target of everyone’s attention. Everywhere I went, eyes followed, and yet no one said a word to me. They just whispered. It was driving me crazy… sometimes, I just wanted to run to the bathroom and cry- would that be too shameless? I couldn’t let them know my weaknesses… I had to just carry on as if nothing happened.

“Is that her?”

“I think so…”

“She’s so small-”

“Aish… I wish I was her.”

“She is cute though…”

“I can see why they like her.”

“I’ve never seen her angry… maybe she’s really nice or something-”

“Should I talk to her?”

“You can’t-”

I collapsed into my seat, resting my head in my arms. I stayed up all night taking care of my dad, so I didn’t get a minute of sleep. Maybe I can just slip away during study sessions this morning to sleep on the roof-

“Jangmi-ah!” a voice whispered in my ear, and I jumped, startled.

Turning to face Rocky, I rubbed my eyes, “W-what-”

“I didn’t know you were in my class!” he grinned.

I frowned, “I’ve never seen you in here until now-”

“That’s because I’ve been skipping to practice,” he laughed sheepishly.

I nodded slowly, “Where… where do you-”

“Sit?” he finished hastily then pointed to the empty seat next to mine, “Right here!”

My eyes widened slightly. So that’s why that seat was always vacant…

“Can you help me catch up? I’m really behind,” he pouted, “I’m not going to pass the tests like this…”

I nodded, “I- I.. um…” my voice faltered a little. I was used to talk this much at school. Not with so many eyes watching. “I took extra notes for… um… you, when you were gone-”

“Really?!” he spun around, “But you didn’t even know me then!”

I shrunk back a little, “Y-yeah, but-”

“Awe,” he ruffled my hair, messing up my bangs, “Jangmi-ah’s so sweet.”

I blushed a little but said nothing else.

“Ah! You’re coming to practice today, right?” he stared at me, “We have one in the morning during study session too.”

“Actually I-” I began, but he cut me off.

“Great! Look forward to it!”

Before I could say anything else, Ms. Park walked through the doors and class began.

 

I was fighting to keep my eyes awake by the time it was dark, and I hadn’t managed to find time to sleep during school at all. It must be nice coming from an easy family like them, but I loved my father more than anything. I wouldn’t give him up just for an easy life. Being tired was worth it.

“Jangmi-ah!” my father’s voice called weakly from his room.

Kicking off my shoes, I set my bag down and hurried to his room, “Yes?”

“Sit with me,” he nodded to the chair beside his bed, “Our show is almost on!”

Nodding, I sat down beside him, watching as the TV screen flashed all sorts of advertisements.

“Jangmi-ah,” my father spoke quietly.

“Hmm?”

“You should audition,” he looked at me wearily, “For a company. You’d get in, I know it.”

I shook my head, “Then I couldn’t be with you.”

“But what about your dream?” he whispered, “You’ve wanted to be a star since you were little.”

I smiled, “I’m a star just being with you.”

“Jangmi-”

“The show’s on!” I announced excitedly, drawing his attention back to the screen.

I knew he wanted the best for me. I knew it with all my heart, but I couldn’t let him know if I was tired, or sad, or frustrated, or even a little upset. He would blame himself for not being there for me. I gave up my dreams a long time ago, and right now, staying with him just a little longer was a dream. I didn’t want to let him go, but soon, I would have to. I was scared. Scared of that.

 

I managed to go another night without a wink of sleep. I was so tired that everything seemed heavier and slower than usual. Even the dim lights in the classroom seemed to bright. Way too bright.

“Jangmi-ah?” Jinjin frowned, poking my cheek, “Are you okay?”

I shook my head, drawing my attention back to the boys, “Huh? Oh, yeah-”

“Listen well,” MJ grinned, “I wrote this song just for you-”

“We wrote it,” Moonbin scoffed, “We wrote it, you idiot.”

“I’m not-”

I laughed. My head ached, but I couldn’t let that show. Not now, not ever.

Eunwoo frowned a little, staring at me out the corner of his eye, but he joined the boys on the dance floor anyway.

“1, 2, 3,” Jinjin counted off and they began.

It was amazing, watching them. Though I had only known them for a week, my heart swelled with pride just watching them. I was happy they were achieving their dreams when I couldn’t.

The song ended, and I was grinning from ear to ear. Each song they wrote was better than the last, and everything began to just feel natural. They were going to make it. I knew it with all my heart.