Kimbap

Flawless

 

“-he’s going to graduate soon. Don’t you think he’s ready?”

“But is the business ready?” Ceo Cha shook his head, burying his face in his hands.

His wife stayed silent. To be honest, having someone so young… and so free, there was bound to be problems.

“He’ll be eighteen soon. I think it’s time,” he sighed, “I can’t keep running this company forever.”

“I agree… but…” she bit her lip, “He’s so young… I don’t think he’ll like hearing that he’ll have to-”

“We have no choice at this point,” rising out of his seat, he straightened his tie, “Park Co. has been at my throat this past year. If we don’t move fast, they’ll take over.”

“But… does he have to marry?”

“If we want to keep the company… yes.”

 

“Jangmi-ah,” Eunwoo smiled lightly at me, brushing the hair out of my face.

“What?” I stared up at him, genuinely confused.

“Are you hungry?” lacing his fingers with mine, he held the door of the hospital open. We had just finished visiting my father, and though it felt wrong to leave him there, my heart was just a tiny bit more peaceful than it was before.

I shook my head, “I’m fine-”

“You’re lying.”

“Yeah…” I looked down sheepishly. It was as if he could see right through me.

“What do you want to eat?”

“Hmm…” I frowned slightly, “I don’t know…”

“How about…” he turned to grin at me, “We go to the grocery store, and you can make a home cooked meal!”

My eyes widened, “W-what? But I can’t cook that well-”

“You’re lying again.”

“No, I’m not!”

“Yes, you are,” he laughed, squeezing my hand, “I used to eat your lunches, remember?”

“Oh…”

“What are you going to make?” We had arrived at the grocery store down the street, and yet his complete focus was still on me.

I shifted uncomfortably, “Um… what do you want?”

“Hmm… Kimbap?” he stared at me expectantly, smiling a little.

“But can’t we just buy that h-”

“I want to eat yours,” he pouted.

Sighing, I grabbed a shopping basket, “Fine… just… you’re going to have to help, okay?”

 

“Why do yours look prettier than mine?” Eunwoo sunk back in his seat, defeated.

“Not really,” I frowned, examining his crumpled rolls, “You just kept breaking the seaweed-”

“How is this,” he held up one of his limp, pitiful kimbap rolls next mine, “Anywhere close to this?”

I pursed my lips, snatching his roll out of his hands, “They taste the same,” taking a bite out of it, I stared at him, “See?”

“It’d be better if I just threw mine out-” he reached for the plate holding his rolls.

Slapping his hand away, I shook my head, “They’re still good!”

“It belongs in a trash bin-”

“Don’t waste food!”

“But-”

“Eunwoo-ah!” a woman’s voice rang throughout the apartment.

“Mom!” he stood up suddenly, smiling brightly.

“Momma’s home!” a tall, slender woman rushed forward to embrace her son. Drawing back, she looked me over in what seemed like curiosity and… something else?

“Hello,” I bowed hastily, straightening my skirt.

“Ah! You must be Jangmi-ah! My son’s girlfriend, correct?” she hurried forward.

Blushing, I nodded in silence.

“Mom,” Eunwoo spoke up suddenly, “Look what we made!”

“Ah! Kimbap!” his mother turned to the kitchen, examining the rolls.

“Jangmi-ah’s are the pretty ones. I didn’t do very well…” he rubbed his neck sheepishly.

“No, you didn’t,” she nodded in agreement, “But it’s a good thing you have a girl who can do it for you,” winking, she turned back to me, “How was your day? You went to visit your father, correct?”

I nodded smiling a little. To be honest, I was a little scared of this woman- she was so bright and energetic while I was just… small. “Yes, he’s doing well.”

“Good, good…” fumbling for something in her purse, she finally dug out a slip of paper, “Come visit me at the company tomorrow, okay? I want to take you shopping!”

My mouth parted in surprise, “Oh- y-you don’t have to do that-”

“Oh, nonsense,” she smiled, patting my shoulder, “It’ll be fun!”

“We have school tomorrow, Mom,” Eunwoo cut in, frowning.

“Oh… right…” biting her lip, she nodded, “I’ll call in for you, okay? You can just come with me to work!”

“B-but-”

“Oh! Look at the time!” laughing, she hurried off to the door, “I’m meeting up with some ladies. Have fun!” with that, she disappeared through the door.

Letting out a long and heavy breath, Eunwoo ran his fingers through his hair, “I’m sorry… she doesn’t really listen well…”

I shook my head, “It’s okay.”

“I can tell her to wait for the next weekend-”

“I’ll be fine,” I smiled, “Tell Rocky to take notes for me, okay?”

Sighing, he took my hands into his, “Are you sure?”

I nodded, “Yeah… I don’t really know your family too well, so this is a good chance, right? You know mine… I should know yours.”

 

A woman sat in the middle of a dark room, tapping her fingernails against the counted of a wooden table. Pausing shortly, she looked up as a man entered the room.

“Well?” he sat down before her.

“Everything’s set,” the corners of her lips curved upwards.

“And when will this take place?”

“Tomorrow,” she looked up, eyes set on a certain place at the back of the room, “They’re ready.”