Doctors

Flawless

 

My head seemed to way a thousands pounds as I woke. Squinting at the bright lights, my heart raced as I suddenly realised where I was. I struggled to sit up only to be forced back down by a pair of hands.

“Don’t move,” Eunwoo’s voice spoke quietly.

Turning, my eyes widened as I was met by all six gazes of Astro.

“Why didn’t you tell us you weren’t feeling well?” Sanha pouted.

“The doctors said you passed out from fatigue and hunger,” Jinjin frowned, “Were you not sleeping and eating?”

I looked down at my hands, “I… I didn’t want to worry you…”

“When was the last time you ate,” Moonbin pressed on.

“I don’t remember…” I spoke quietly.

“Aish… this girl,” MJ ruffled his hair in frustration, “This is why you’re too skinny!”

“Why didn’t you just accept the meal I offered you?” Rocky stared at me sadly.

“I didn’t want to be a burden…” my voice had become even quieter.

“Aish you’re just as bad as Eunwoo!” MJ sent a glare at the boy sitting beside my bed.

I blushed a little but said nothing.

“You were out for two days,” Sanha sniffled, “I didn’t know if you’d wake up again, Noona!”

“You really gave us a heart attack when Hyung called us,” Rocky nodded.

“I thought you died or something,” MJ added dramatically.

“I’m fine,” I smiled weakly.

“Why didn’t you tell us you were tired?” Moonbin pursed his lips, “Have you not been sleeping?”

I shook my head, “I didn’t sleep for three nights in a row…”

“WHAT?!” MJ and Sanha shouted.

“Why?” Rocky leaned forward, alarmed.

I shrugged, “I was… um busy…”

“That’s not an excuse,” Jinjin frowned.

I fell silent.

Just at that moment, the nurse walked in. “I need to speak with the patient and Mr. Cha Eunwoo. Alone.”

The rest of the members nodded and made their way out. The room was now silent.

“Miss, I have some questions I need you to answer,” the nurse continued without hearing my answer, “You passed out from fatigue and under nourishment. Do you know why?”

I looked down at my hands, “Um… yes…”

“Can you tell me?” the nurse’s tone became softer, “I know it’s hard, but we need to know why. Otherwise we won’t be able to treat you.”

I took a deep breath, “I stay up late taking care of my dad. He’s really sick and can’t get out of bed, so I need to make sure all the bills are paid and work and make sure he’s okay. I haven’t been able to eat because… um money’s low and there isn’t time…” my voice slowly got quieter, “I know he could stay in a hospital, but I don’t have any family members to stay with or the money.”

The nurse nodded slowly, “I know you may not like it, but it sounds like your father needs to be taken care of by professionals. It’s not that you’re hurting him, but it’s hurting you.”

I could only stare at my hands in silence. I knew he needed help… we just couldn’t afford it.

“Um…” Eunwoo spoke up suddenly, “You- you can stay at my place for the time being.”

I looked up, shocked, “I couldn’t do that!”

The nurse pursed her lips, “We’ll pick your father up tomorrow. Get some more rest, and you’ll be discharged in 24 hours.” With that, she her heel and left.

“It’s the least I can do,” Eunwoo smiled, “You always give me your lunch, and you’ve always been kind to me- to Astro even when you were hurting.”

A smile tugged at the corners of my mouth, “Are you sure?”

“Positive.”

“Thank you.”